Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Based on what I've heard about my friend's story today this scenario also happened, boss told carer to keep working

Yes, i have heard other cases of it too. I didnt believe it until it happened someone close to me. She was getting texts from her boss insisting she go to work. She was very upset at the thought of being put in a position that put her clients at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Daisy03 wrote: »
    My aunt is a home help. She was a close contact of a colleague who tested positive. My aunt was told by her boss to continue working while waiting to be tested. She refused and isolated. This was last October. She tested negative afterwards.

In addition she was told not to tell clients she was a close contact and not to reach out to them to notify them if she tested positive. She fully planned to tell them herself if she was positive so as to minimise risk of them passing it on to someone else.

She sounds like a lovely person who cares very much for her clients

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Some really good hospital news in Cork tonight. The CUH has dropped below 100 cases.
    National - 1548 in hospital, down from 1598 yesterday.

CUH - 94 in hospital, down from 107. 18 in ICU, no change.
    Mercy - 48 in hospital, down from 49. 7 in ICU, no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Not sure why you'd think that if a significant proportion of the population is vaccinated

But will the vaccine work? Time will tell. It will be rolled out and covid testing will be stopped. Everyone will have the 'flu' and not covid this time next year. If you look at the pattern of the flu on an annual basis it is always worse just after christmas (change in the weather, people from multiple geographical locations meeting up). No mention of people having the flu this year. Just covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

physioman wrote: »
    But will the vaccine work? Time will tell. It will be rolled out and covid testing will be stopped. Everyone will have the 'flu' and not covid this time next year. If you look at the pattern of the flu on an annual basis it is always worse just after christmas (change in the weather, people from multiple geographical locations meeting up). No mention of people having the flu this year. Just covid.

Is it not surprising that we don't 'hear' about people having the flu when covid is obviously massively more reported on? I don't recall the flu ever being reported in any sort of relentless manner in the media or anywhere any year tbh.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Is it not surprising that we don't 'hear' about people having the flu when covid is obviously massively more reported on? I don't recall the flu ever being reported in any sort of relentless manner in the media or anywhere any year tbh.

Exactly are they not all one this year? Obviously there are no objective markers for measuring the flu in previous years but I will try to seek out hospital bed capacity e.g icu in let's say January 2019 and compare the numbers to this year. Tried to look up cuh performance report for jan 2019 but couldn't get it.maybe someone in the know here can get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Corholio wrote: »

To quote a recent report: "There was no evidence of influenza viruses circulating in the community in Ireland during week 3 2021
    (week ending 24/01/2021) or during weeks 40 2020 to week 2 2021."

The likely reason for that is that the SARS-Cov-2 (Coronavirus/COVID) is a lot more contagious than influenza and the social distancing measures, lack of people in circulation and hygiene measures mean there's basically no flu in circulation at all and have had a more profound impact on the flu and several other viruses that would normally be doing the rounds.

There's also very little long distance travel, so it's not moving around.

The flu vaccine uptake was enormous this year too.

Just had a quick look at stats for deaths in cork in dec2019 v dec 2020. 495 v 453. Surely that cant be right with covid being so prominent and restrictions were lifted in december? The biggest killer at the moment isn't covid but social isolation and lack of exercise for our elderly population.

To quote a recent report: "There was no evidence of influenza viruses circulating in the community in Ireland during week 3 2021

The likely reason for that is that the SARS-Cov-2 (Coronavirus/COVID) is a lot more contagious than influenza and the social distancing measures, lack of people in circulation and hygiene measures mean there's basically no flu in circulation at all and have had a more profound impact on the flu and several other viruses that would normally be doing the rounds.

What's interesting is that influenza isn't been tested (can be tested) but only covid is being tested. The ' evidence of influenza virus' is actually GP reporting it but no actual objective testing. GPs are actually just doing phone consultations and sending people who are symptomatic for covid testing. The negative results aren't being reported back as influenza ( if they are showing the symptoms). I do agree that less people have 'flu' symptoms more due to better hygiene measures than the uptake of the flu vaccine. One good thing to come out of all this is the improved hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Just had a quick look at stats for deaths in cork in dec2019 v dec 2020. 495 v 453. Surely that cant be right with covid being so prominent and restrictions were lifted in december? The biggest killer at the moment isn't covid but social isolation and lack of exercise for our elderly population.

Jan2020 vs Jan2021 might be more stark.

I agree with you about the social isolation, that is very difficult for some people. But loosening the restrictions and increasing the risk of catching this & having a bad outcome for the elderly, probably not a great idea.

• Advertisement

Naturally because we are being restricted. But when things open up they'll go up. Will be like this for the rest of the year. I'd say there'll be another lock down at the end of may.

Why will Covid testing stop? If they stop testing why would there be lockdowns?So you reckon we will have lockdowns in May due to the flu?

Just had a quick look at stats for deaths in cork in dec2019 v dec 2020. 495 v 453. Surely that cant be right with covid being so prominent and restrictions were lifted in december? ........

Restrictions were lifted as the levels were quite low. Very little Covid deaths in December 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Wouldn't be surprised if covid was in Cork 2019, a bad flu did the rounds in my area, a number of older people died with it, many people were sicker than usual with the flu , the thing is we have had virtually no covid in this area, I presume as we are isolated it's just people being vigilant but it's strange, do you have the figures for previous years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All I know is that I haven't had as much as a sniffle in 12 months.
    One upside of this social distancing!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Yes, i have heard other cases of it too. I didnt believe it until it happened someone close to me. She was getting texts from her boss insisting she go to work. She was very upset at the thought of being put in a position that put her clients at risk.
    Those texts could be evidence in a future WRC trial so tell her hang onto them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Wouldn't be surprised if covid was in Cork 2019, a bad flu did the rounds in my area, a number of older people died with it, many people were sicker than usual with the flu , the thing is we have had virtually no covid in this area, I presume as we are isolated it's just people being vigilant but it's strange, do you have the figures for previous years?

Almost a year ago I went looking for figures on flu deaths. I remember reading a very broad statement on the HSE website which more or less said between 200 and 500 die each year from the virus. Maybe the HSPC has more information on causes of deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Any LEA ACE?

Completely forgot ill have it up before 2pm

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 12/01/2021 to 25/01/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 314 (-320), LEA rate per 100k pop: 842.5 (-858.6)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 134 (-172), LEA rate per 100k pop: 597.6 (-767)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 188 (-282), LEA rate per 100k pop: 535 (-802.5)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 168 (-255), LEA rate per 100k pop: 492.4 (-747.5)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 365 (-342), LEA rate per 100k pop: 865.6 (-811)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 379 (-292), LEA rate per 100k pop: 943.1 (-726.6)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 276 (-387), LEA rate per 100k pop: 713.8 (-1000.8)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 353 (-591), LEA rate per 100k pop: 825.1 (-1381.4)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 329 (-492), LEA rate per 100k pop: 699.3 (-1045.7)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 261 (-252), LEA rate per 100k pop: 716.9 (-692.2)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 154 (-92), LEA rate per 100k pop: 617.7 (-369)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 178 (-210), LEA rate per 100k pop: 483.1 (-570)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 190 (-168), LEA rate per 100k pop: 651.6 (-576.2)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 263 (-153), LEA rate per 100k pop: 578.8 (-336.7)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 189 (-254), LEA rate per 100k pop: 624.2 (-838.8)

As expected due to the bulk reporting of cases in the first week of January, a massive reduction in LEA cases over the last 14 days.

146 cases in Cork today

• Advertisement

1254 cases & 48 deaths today

437 in Dublin, 146 in Cork, 76 in Meath, 69 in Wexford, 62 in Kildare

Does Bond or Mater have any Covid19 patients?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Does Bond or Mater have any Covid19 patients?

Dunno who Mater is but I heard Bond got a watch off Q that protects him from the virus

.red. wrote: »
    Dunno who Mater is but I heard Bond got a watch off Q that protects him from the virus

Touche ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

.red. wrote: »

I guess it's no time to die.

saabsaab wrote: »
    I guess it's no time to die.

It be 2022 with that release now I'd say

Hospital Update
    National: 1489 in hospital, down from 1548

CUH: 90 in hospital, reduction of 4. 16 in ICU, down 2.
    Mercy: 43 in hospital, reduction of 5. 7 in ICU, no change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

So
    There's no flu because of masks and social distancing

But

There's loads of cases of covid because we're not wearing masks and not social distancing

? ? ?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

99nsr125 wrote: »
    So

But

There's loads of cases of covid because we're not wearing masks and not social distancing

? ? ?
    Flu has a much lower basic reproductive of somewhere around 1.5 whereas SARS-CoV-2 has a basic reproductive number somewhere between 3 and 6.

If you can get SARS-CoV-2 down to a reproductive number of 0.4-0.6 then you effectively eliminate flu transmission using the Covid-19 restriction measures.

Add to that the lack of importation via incredibly reduced international travel into the country.

• Advertisement

99nsr125 wrote: »
    So

But

? ? ?

The loads of covid cases came about from December.... Restaurants open... No masks... Multiple households per table.... Households mixing over Christmas. Cases now reducing drastically because......... Go on.... Guess

Flu 2020 had been effectively eliminated. Covid hadn't.

Advertisement