Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It's been mentioned in this thread already, but:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40217168.html
    Personnel from the Defence Forces are continuing to provide support to a number of care home facilities around the country including three in Cork.

[...]

It is currently providing support in six care home facilities around the country, three of which are located in Cork.

A spokesperson for the Defence Forces said that the assistance they are providing is to support the running of the facilities and personnel have no direct contact with patients or residents.

The range of supports includes activities such as cleaning, cooking, making beds, transport and administrative duties.

As of January 28, a total of 492 Defence Forces personnel (circa 25 daily) have been involved in the provision of this support across eight nursing homes in total, the spokesperson said.

The Defence Forces are also continuing to provide support to the HSE in Cork with a number of other tasks including swab testing, patient transfers to/from test centres, and tentage support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Test Centre in Douglas Road has been closed most of the week any time I passed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Test Centre in Douglas Road has been closed most of the week any time I passed

Based on the GP referral data tests in Cork have plummetted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I haven't used public transport since the pandemic began. Coming into summer, I can't go another year not doing anything. You can always get nice days out in Cobh, Spike Island and Fota. But does anyone know if they have windows that can be opened on the trains?

Situation in nursing homes at the moment is very concerning. Have heard of 4 families now with outbreaks linked to family members working in nursing homes across the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I haven't used public transport since the pandemic began. Coming into summer, I can't go another year not doing anything. You can always get nice days out in Cobh, Spike Island and Fota. But does anyone know if they have windows that can be opened on the trains?

Yes the windows are kept opened on the local cork commuter trains. Can personally confirm that. No idea about intercity trains.

Yes the windows are kept opened on the local cork commuter trains. Can personally confirm that. No idea about intercity trains.

Thanks, might venture out this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1387 positive swabs, 6.64% positivity on 20,887 tests

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    1387 positive swabs, 6.64% positivity on 20,887 tests
    Bordering on 10% reduction in swabs per day, really positive

105 cases in Cork today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just bear in mind there is very little open in Cobh at the moment bar the shops. I don't think Spike Island is open at the moment. And Fota wildlife park is closed at the moment.

But hopefully all of those will be reversed come summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Situation in nursing homes at the moment is very concerning. Have heard of 4 families now with outbreaks linked to family members working in nursing homes across the city.

Were the family members working in the nursing homes not vaccinated? I thought nearly all staff in nursing homes were vaccinated?

Were the family members working in the nursing homes not vaccinated? I thought nearly all staff in nursing homes were vaccinated?
    Nursing homes with active outbreaks can't be vaccinated

Just bear in mind there is very little open in Cobh at the moment bar the shops. I don't think Spike Island is open at the moment. And Fota wildlife park is closed at the moment.

But hopefully all of those will be reversed come summer!

Kind of hoping for something to be open for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,431 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hopefully they will be. Not expecting many cruise ships to look at, but would assume spike and other places be open come summer.

And yes, there are windows on the train. Lots of them

Mushy wrote: »
    Hopefully they will be. Not expecting many cruise ships to look at, but would assume spike and other places be open come summer.

And yes, there are windows on the train. Lots of them

I imagine there'll be plenty open in the Summer :)
    There'll be some restrictions but non essential retail, museums etc should all be open all going to plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

what happened in Cork during the xmas period? Numbers went thru the roof shortly afterwards...

I know the city was busy... I have been v careful as have most I know (in my close circles - friends, family etc)... but I assume others weren't? I don't know of anyone who had parties etc.. had thee quietest xmas ever! literally just the two of us - didn't met up with anyone for days - since before xmas I have only met up with 3 mates for walks outdoors (separate occasions).. working from home and just the weekly shopping - in and out as fast as I can...

where there/are there loads not complying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

sporina wrote: »
    what happened in Cork during the xmas period? Numbers went thru the roof shortly afterwards...

I know the city was busy... I have been v careful as have most I know (in my close circles - friends, family etc)... but I assume others weren't? I don't know of anyone who had parties etc.. had thee quietest xmas ever! literally just the two of us - didn't met up with anyone for days - since before xmas I have only met up with 3 mates for walks outdoors (separate occasions).. working from home and just the weekly shopping - in and out as fast as I can...

Why happened all over the country, considering the dominant strain is the UK one I presume there were a lot of people 'travelling' from the UK was a factor.

I know someone who picked it up in a restaurant. You can do everything right, the problem is it's airborne.

We opened restaurants and gastro pubs. Then people went home for Christmas. They should never have allowed food establishments to open AND allow household visits at Christmas. And that's exactly what NPHET recommended back in November, it was one or the other. But government ignored NPHET's advice and allowed both to happen.

Happened all over the country though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Far too many people "had a meaningful Christmas" as if there was no virus. They met their friends (some of whom travelled from abroad and didn't isolate) for pints and meals, got drunk, went to parties and then had large gatherings on and around Christmas day with their families.

I'm not sure any government measures could have stopped that for many, many people.

The only way to have prevented what happened was to, essentially, cancel Christmas. I think the majority of the population would have refused to accept that and would have done their own thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Happened all over the country though.

All over Europe by the sounds of it

I know testing of close contacts has been a common topic here, so thought to share:

https://twitter.com/Stephen_Murphy5/status/1355835694514626560

I'm not sure any government measures could have stopped that for many, many people...............

Indeed, I do think the restaurants was a bad idea though, lots of folk frequented restaurants as they were open etc but sitting indoors in a busy room with 10s of other folk was not a good idea.

Any restaurant I walked past that you could see into were all doing the 1m table thing rather than the 2m distance and even at that loads of chairs from different tables were back to back like in normal times and the restaurants full, it looked grim as fnck from a covid viewpoint IMO.

Folk on busy streets were wearing masks and folk indoors in busy restaurants were of course not unless they were away from their table.

I always reckoned in door dining wasn't too bad but when the places are jammed full it's a disaster, IMO. In the Summer I was in a few restaurants and many staff couldn't seem to manage correct mask wearing.

As someone mentioned NPHET advised against that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭corks finest

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, I do think the restaurants was a bad idea though, lots of folk frequented restaurants as they were open etc but sitting indoors in a busy room with 10s of other folk was not a good idea.

Any restaurant I walked past that you could see into were all doing the 1m table thing rather than the 2m distance and even at that loads of chairs from different tables were back to back like in normal times and the restaurants full, it looked grim as fnck from a covid viewpoint IMO.

Folk on busy streets were wearing masks and folk indoors in busy restaurants were of course not unless they were away from their table.

I always reckoned in door dining wasn't too bad but when the places are jammed full it's a disaster, IMO. In the Summer I was in a few restaurants and many staff couldn't seem to manage correct mask wearing.

As someone mentioned NPHET advised against that.

Must be hell wearing all that gear daily imagine the poor staff in the hospitals etc, 15 m wearing a face mask is hard can't contemplate doing a day's work in a warm environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,104 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Covid app says HSE are not testing close contacts

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Covid app says HSE are not testing close contacts
    Contacts are being tested officially since Friday, its all over the news, dont believe the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Must be hell wearing all that gear daily imagine the poor staff in the hospitals etc, 15 m wearing a face mask is hard can't contemplate doing a day's work in a warm environment

For a lot of people being masked up is part of their job all day every day, all year every year.
    I appreciate that some people find it uncomfortable no matter what they do to alleviate it, but I genuinely don't mind being gowned up.

The quality of the mask can make a difference: if it's pulling at your ears or pressed right into some part of your face it's bound to be uncomfortable. If you have a particular pain-point with the masks yourself, I would encourage you to try a few different ones if you have the option.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40217708.html?fbclid=IwAR2wgn8kOnCySH0nqGwWOqzTUqXtIVEhY9jL8keHuukmpkElEnCUjLo5t5M

Touching photos.
    A 43-year-old who died within days of a Covid-19 diagnosis made his last journey through Kent Station yesterday as colleagues lined out to pay their final respects.

Donncha Corcoran had spent more than two decades working with Iarnód Éireann, initially as a chef and later as a train host.

[...]

Donncha had lived with his father Dinny, sister Linda and niece Jessica in Pouladuff Road before succumbing to heart complications just over a week after a Covid-19 diagnosis.

[..]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

87 in cork. Below 100. Long may it last

• Advertisement

87 in cork. Below 100. Long may it last

Long time coming, thank god

Advertisement