Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Crisps and chocolate are other non-essential goods, shut off those parts of the shop. Hell, if you're going by essential, let's just have a few loaves of bread, and some milk & water at the front of the shop, people will be in and out in seconds.

Please re-read my post. I said "non-essential outlets". You're just being silly.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Worztron wrote: »
    Please re-read my post. I said "non-essential outlets". You're just being silly.

So, would you close fish shops and bakeries?
    Both those items can be bought in a supermarket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are there any supermarkets open on Sunday?

SuperValu here in Carrigaline, presume elsewhere also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TheChizler wrote: »
    Anyone notice the smell in town the last week? Went for a walk a couple of evenings as I live close by and it was just awful, like before the main drainage scheme.

I did come across a couple of people openly pi55ing on Patrick St so maybe that and the heat had something to do with it.

Even with the best will in the world, there's nowhere to piss now, other than your own accommodation or the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Even with the best will in the world, there's nowhere to piss now, other than your own accommodation or the street.

Could have found a drain or something rather than the door of Gamestop.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Could have found a drain or something rather than the door of Gamestop.

Correct no fuc*ing decorum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

what ever about the public, so many of my own mates are now allowing their parents to cocoon.. so hard to keep my mouth shut for fear of "preaching"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

31 deaths and 527 new cases (730 total Cork cases)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Heard from a doctor in the CUH last Sunday that they had 6 in ICU and the Mercy had 1. A lot could have happened in the previous week obviously.

From the Echo:
    A hospital by hospital breakdown of covid-19 patients in Cork has revealed there were 31 confirmed cases onsite at CUH and 20 in The Mercy last night.

[...]

It revealed that 144 people with COVID-19 were in critical care units in Ireland, including ten patients in Cork.

Six of these patients were at CUH, three were at the Mercy University Hospital and one person was at the Bon Secours Hospital.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Revealed-Breakdown-of-Covid-19-cases-in-Cork-hospitals-817e1dbb-7efc-4368-8294-24e770a69395-ds

So, would you close fish shops and bakeries?
    Both those items can be bought in a supermarket.

TBR, I only mentioned that OL should be closed during the lockdown. If you think I'm going to go through every business that can be closed if their particular items can be bought in a supermarket, then think again.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

TBR, I only mentioned that OL should be closed during the lockdown. If you think I'm going to go through every business that can be closed if their particular items can be bought in a supermarket, then think again.

If you aren't arguing for the sale of alcohol to be banned, then why single out off licences to be closed as opposed to these other businesses?

Up to now, you haven't wanted to engage in a rational discussion on this, so I guess you won't start now.
    Care to comment on the argument that closing off licences would result in more crowded supermarkets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I live close to the Lough and know guards were out moving people on yesterday and must have today too as the park in our estate had several groups that I've seen out sitting around The Lough in it today. Those juggling and rope walking idiots for example decided this was their new place to hang out.

If guards aren't going to actually enforce the law this is all pointless

Mallow hospital now reopened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

titan18 wrote: »
    I live close to the Lough and know guards were out moving people on yesterday and must have today too as the park in our estate had several groups that I've seen out sitting around The Lough in it today. Those juggling and rope walking idiots for example decided this was their new place to hang out.

If guards aren't going to actually enforce the law this is all pointless

I live close to the Lough too. Drove by after work today. No shortage of people about. Plenty of groups that I seriously doubt live together. I have a green area in my estate and if these idiots turn up here I'll be straight onto the Guards. You should report them. Those wannabe circus clowns annoy me at the best of times. If they start stringing up tightropes outside my house they won't be doing it for long.

Heckler wrote: »
    I live close to the Lough too. Drove by after work today. No shortage of people about. Plenty of groups that I seriously doubt live together. I have a green area in my estate and if these idiots turn up here I'll be straight onto the Guards. You should report them. Those wannabe circus clowns annoy me at the best of times. If they start stringing up tightropes outside my house they won't be doing it for long.

I wonder are the tight rope walking people the same as the group I saw a couple of days ago near the skatepark close to UCC gates...

If you aren't arguing for the sale of alcohol to be banned, then why single out off licences to be closed as opposed to these other businesses?

Up to now, you haven't wanted to engage in a rational discussion on this, so I guess you won't start now.
    Care to comment on the argument that closing off licences would result in more crowded supermarkets?

You are not listening. In my opinion, OL are not essential. People crowding the supermarket booze section should perhaps reevaluate their drinking problem.

According to the WHO, drinking alcohol can increase the risk of catching COVID-19 and governments around the world should limit access during coronavirus lockdowns.

You are not listening. In my opinion, OL are not essential. People crowding the supermarket booze section should perhaps reevaluate their drinking problem.

According to the WHO, drinking alcohol can increase the risk of catching COVID-19 and governments around the world should limit access during coronavirus lockdowns.

Yeah, didn't think you'd engage in rational debate.

Are you sure you aren't arguing to ban the sale of alcohol? (there is an argument to be made for this - even if I don't agree with it)
    I find it pretty funny that you insist I'm not listening when you refuse to say anything other than to say that off licences should be closed.
    You refuse to have this opinion teased out as to how it might apply in the real world and as to whether it might do more harm than good.

Alcohol baaaaad, is basically what you are saying.
    I think we can leave this non discussion here. Save us both wasting our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Yeah, didn't think you'd engage in rational debate.

Are you sure you aren't arguing to ban the sale of alcohol? (there is an argument to be made for this - even if I don't agree with it)
    I find it pretty funny that you insist I'm not listening when you refuse to say anything other than to say that off licences should be closed.
    You refuse to have this opinion teased out as to how it might apply in the real world and as to whether it might do more harm than good.

Alcohol baaaaad, is basically what you are saying.
    I think we can leave this non discussion here. Save us both wasting our time.
    You talk about rational debate? When did I ever mention banning booze? I simply stated my opinion on the closure of OL for the duration of the lockdown. Why can't you get that?

I repeat this from my last post:

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I wonder are the tight rope walking people the same as the group I saw a couple of days ago near the skatepark close to UCC gates...

Without a doubt,crusty types?

• Advertisement

Without a doubt,crusty types?

More or less. They were speaking Spanish or French or something European :pac: Reminded me of being back home in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Had to drop a relation to the Orthopedic this morning, saw 3 what I take to be maintenance guys having a grand chat close together and finishing up with handshakes all round, no gloves on either..

leeside11 wrote: »
    Had to drop a relation to the Orthopedic this morning, saw 3 what I take to be maintenance guys having a grand chat close together and finishing up with handshakes all round, no gloves on either..

Lovely,see no use coming on here bloody hospital and gardai should be notified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Why can't you get that?
    You’re wasting your time, best to ignore and move on.

leeside11 wrote: »

are you for real? the mind boggles..

My local walk is the lee fields - cops on bikes trying to explain social distancing to a group on 4 lads on bikes - around 12 yrs approx..
    Impressed by the cops tbf..
    Great to see the checkpoints too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

916 cases in Cork now, up 87 from yesterday.

916 cases in Cork now, up 87 from yesterday.

The deaths and positive cases are increasing, climbing, I hope soon we will see some decreases with lockdown restrictions in place as the majority are compiling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

sporina wrote: »
    are you for real? the mind boggles..

My local walk is the lee fields - cops on bikes trying to explain social distancing to a group on 4 lads on bikes - around 12 yrs approx..
    Impressed by the cops tbf..
    Great to see the checkpoints too

Used to be my local running route but avoiding it now as too crowded for comfort, the other side of the Straight Road is where I hang out as that's almost always empty. Spotted the Garda cycling around there yesterday as well.

The skate park down on the Mardyke is fenced off now. Plenty of groups still hanging out there though.

opus wrote: »
    Used to be my local running route but avoiding it now as too crowded for comfort, the other side of the Straight Road is where I hang out as that's almost always empty. Spotted the Garda cycling around there yesterday as well.

The skate park down on the Mardyke is fenced off now. Plenty of groups still hanging out there though.

tbh its not that busy when I go down around 12.. but last sat was really busy - what with the fab weather - and lots of people who I am sure travelled more than 2km - in fact I met some I knew who had... but there wer a lot more like that

• Advertisement

sporina wrote: »
    tbh its not that busy when I go down around 12.. but last sat was really busy - what with the fab weather - and lots of people who I am sure travelled more than 2km - in fact I met some I knew who had... but there wer a lot more like that
    We're still messing though, Ballygarvan GAA pitch at 5.45 today, 6+ smallies all grouped up , obviously not from the same family,crazy stuff

Advertisement