Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

News report tonight mentioned case numbers nationwide were plateauing.... 'Professor Nolan expressed his concern at the plateau in case numbers'

My Dad had a covid test today, painless he said and the nasal part was barely noticeable... Throat swab did slightly trigger the gag reflex to an extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,103 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

79 cases in Cork today but 101 deaths (RIP)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Very high deaths but decent case figure for Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Over 30 residents die in Cork/Kerry nursing homes in two weeks

At West Kerry Community Hospital in Dingle, at least eight residents have died.

Between January 21 and January 26, eight residents of the Bon Secours Care Village, also known as Mount Desert, in Cork, have died, three of whom died on January 24.

Six residents of Amberley Nursing Home in Fermoy all died within days of each other over a 12-day period between January 18 and January 29.
    Three residents of Deerpark House in Bantry died on January 27, while another died on January 29, and another the day after, on January 30.

Five residents of a fourth home have also died in recent weeks.

As in other homes, some of the residents who died are believed to have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine and were due to receive their booster shot.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40218434.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Augeo wrote: »
    News report tonight mentioned case numbers nationwide were plateauing.... 'Professor Nolan expressed his concern at the plateau in case numbers'

My Dad had a covid test today, painless he said and the nasal part was barely noticeable... Throat swab did slightly trigger the gag reflex to an extent.

I had the test 2 weeks ago and it certainly was not painless. Found the nose part most sore. So I guess it depends on the person or perhaps the person who takes the test's technique

• Advertisement

As in other homes, some of the residents who died are believed to have received their first dose of a Covid-19 vaccine and were due to receive their booster shot............

Unfortunately that's not overly surprising.........

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210114-covid-19-how-effective-is-a-single-vaccine-dose

"However, this early protection comes with some important caveats. First, the protection doesn't kick in until at least day 12 – until then, there was no difference between the two groups. Secondly, one dose is still significantly less protective than two. The latter is 95% effective at preventing the disease after a week"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭Be right back

Great to see low numbers in Cork today.

Absolutely

Let's hope we can keep that number reducing

I tested positive today, no idea where we got it but contact tracing on straight away, very efficient, doctor just recommended paracetamol and vitamin C, any tips for bad headaches and all over pains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I tested positive today, no idea where we got it but contact tracing on straight away, very efficient, doctor just recommended paracetamol and vitamin C, any tips for bad headaches and all over pains?

Sorry to hear that, hope you recover well. It’s a bit unsettling that you don’t know where you could have got it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Sorry to hear that, wish you well

Swift recovery to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Rest up and take it easy.

122 in Cork today

Fantastic explanation by Prof. Nolan. Cases decreasing by 6-9% per day, on track for 200-400 by end of month.
    https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1357397502803247104?s=20

In response to today's numbers.....Professor Nolan "I noted last week that the testing of close contacts will impact on case numbers in the coming days. We shouldn’t be disappointed by this, it shows that we have moved from the mitigation phase of the last few weeks, back to the containment phase where we are tracking down every possible chain of transmission."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hope u feel better soon Liz. Do u think u could have contracted it in the shops?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Maybe you got it from this thread... joking aside rest up and keep well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess you can take vitamin D if you're not doing so already. Paracetamol or Asprin for headaches?

fin12 wrote: »
    Hope u feel better soon Liz. Do u think u could have contracted it in the shops?

Was only at supermarket and pharmacy, didn't meet up with anyone outside my family bubble

Besides myself and my family, I know loads more who picked it up this wave than the previous waves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I find steam can help headaches. Although might just me cos mine are brought on by sinusitis but it definitely makes me feel better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Was only at supermarket and pharmacy, didn't meet up with anyone outside my family bubble

Besides myself and my family, I know loads more who picked it up this wave than the previous waves

That’s what’s really scary. You genuinely did seem to be very careful which is frustrating if u are doing everything right and still get infected.

You mentioned your sister tested positive? Possible you just got it from her?

You mentioned your sister tested positive? Possible you just got it from her?

Yes but she too was only attending the supermarket and pharmacy

I guess just take it everyone could have it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sorry to hear JP, Hope you are all doing ok and will get well soon. Fingers crossed for all of you

Hospital Update
    National 1239 down from 1300

CUH - 76, down from 92. 15 in ICU, down from 18.
    Mercy - 20, up from 19. 5 in ICU, down from 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Hospital Update
    National 1239 down from 1300

CUH - 76, down from 92. 15 in ICU, down from 18.
    Mercy - 20, up from 19. 5 in ICU, down from 6.

Possible proof that hospital outbreaks are getting less frequent.

Advertisement