Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Augeo wrote: »
    as of 2pm today (Sunday), 1,204 COVID-19 patients are hospitalised, of which 178 are in ICU..... Another increase in hospital numbers
    There's no discharges on the weekend :rolleyes:

There's no discharges on the weekend :rolleyes:

What are you rolling yours eyes about?
    I simply posted a fact.
    There are of course some discharges at the weekend at times.

All over 70s shall have their first jab by mid April now. So it'll be June before the vaccination of over 70s will be complete. Restrictions well into summer so I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What are you rolling yours eyes about?
    I simply posted a fact.
    There are of course some discharges at the weekend at times.

But generally not, why the aggressive answer when it's correct? Do you prefer if people believe the situation is worse than it is? You are well aware that hospital numbers generally go up at the weekends so are deliberately posting a misleading number without adding the relevant details.

But generally not, why the aggressive answer when it's correct? Do you prefer if people believe the situation is worse than it is? You are well aware that hospital numbers generally go up at the weekends so are deliberately posting a misleading number without adding the relevant details.

Direct quote from hse, nothing misleading.
    I queried why the sarcy roll eyes was used. Zero aggression.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Does anyone know if I can buy shoes anywhere? I think with the lockdown before Christmas, Dunnes cut off their clothes department. I haven't been anywhere near Dunnes or a clothes shop in months, so is it the same again? Or is shopping online my only option?

I badly need new shoes. I have holes in mine that's letting in water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Does anyone know if I can buy shoes anywhere? I think with the lockdown before Christmas, Dunnes cut off their clothes department. I haven't been anywhere near Dunnes or a clothes shop in months, so is it the same again? Or is shopping online my only option?

I was in Dunnes during the week. Children's wear, maternity wear and home stuff is open. Men's clothes and women's clothes sections were taped off. Looks like online is your only bet. Unless you pick up a cheap pair of runners somewhere like Aldi, they don't seem to be strict on essential vs non-essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dubhurler4

Have you tried asking a staff member in Dunnes if you can buy a pair? Although they might be taped off, they are generally helpful if the case is genuine. I was looking for gloves for a child which were in a taped off section and when I asked a staff member, she was able to get them for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

You can buy them online, Dunnes are doing click and collect. I’ve used it twice in the last two weeks.

Hospital Update
    National 1212 up from 1199

CUH - 69, no change. 15 in ICU, down 1.
    Mercy - 18, down 4. 6 in ICU, no change.

• Advertisement

Mercy must have discharged folk so.

Mercy must have discharged folk so.
    Or they're dead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

fin12 wrote: »
    You can buy them online, Dunnes are doing click and collect. I’ve used it twice in the last two weeks.

Click and collect was banned by Govt under current restrictions. So Dunnes took down the click sign and put up reserve instead.
    Don't know how they so blatently got away with it, it's like a gym opening up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40222166.html

I much prefer to see a few of these pop up then just 1

Or they're dead?

More likely discharged IMO & also my hope.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Click and collect was banned by Govt under current restrictions. So Dunnes took down the click sign and put up reserve instead.
    Don't know how they so blatently got away with it, it's like a gym opening up.

Yes, total joke. Click and deliver is all that's permitted. All these sly restriction avoiding measures are just getting more people out and about.
    Dunnes won't be getting any business from me going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Direct quote from hse, nothing misleading.
    I queried why the sarcy roll eyes was used. Zero aggression.

I presume because you know the information is not properly presented and, do you think it was? Are you unaware that hospital numbers generally rise at weekends?

I presume because you know the information is not properly presented and, do you think it was? Are you unaware that hospital numbers generally rise at weekends?

If you reckon info from gov.ie isn't properly presented perhaps take it up with gov.ie.
    I see it as a valid source :)

I won't really get into what I'm aware of or not as it's a tad off topic.

Later today's hospital numbers can we be compared to Friday's.

You come across as awfully aggressive truth be told. FYI I'm not sure what the bolded piece means, you might rephrase if you expect me to respond further to it, is it presented properly? I've made a fair stab at trying to establish the meaning though :) Hope that's ok.

Yes, total joke. Click and deliver is all that's permitted. All these sly restriction avoiding measures are just getting more people out and about.
    Dunnes won't be getting any business from me going forward.

Very sly etc. However much like Ryanair, our annoyance and grievance will subside overnight and we'll be back again.
    I'm just shocked at how a national company has managed to do it unnoticed. A small shop in West Kerry doing it would make headlines.

Aside from the unfairness to competitors I'm not sure what the huge deal is. People are going to be "out and about" shopping for the weekly essentials in Dunnes anyway, hardly going to make much difference if they pick up a click and collect order while they're there. And makes life a lot easier for people who can't afford to pay a delivery charge every time they need to buy something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Hope you are feeling well Liz

Stark wrote: »
    Aside from the unfairness to competitors I'm not sure what the huge deal is. People are going to be "out and about" shopping for the weekly essentials in Dunnes anyway, hardly going to make much difference if they pick up a click and collect order while they're there. And makes life a lot easier for people who can't afford to pay a delivery charge every time they need to buy something.

2 reasons I would think:
    a) It puts 2 fingers up to Govt restrictions and guidelines. Yet you get fined for going to the beach for a walk. Whether it's right or wrong, it is clearly defying the rules.
    b) There's a line between people buying necessary items and people ordering plenty, returning items etc which is generating people out and about. This was something they wanted to stop. The argument would then get extended to "lets open Penneys" etc. It had to stop somewhere. Necessary items are still for sale physically in the shop so no one would be stuck.

TheDriver wrote: »
    2 reasons I would think........

Yeah, it's taking the p1ss.
    Much like the takeaway pints turning The Peace Park into a beer garden etc...... not in the spirit of the guidelines.
    Folk will take the p1ss and if you can go to Dunnes for a click and reserve (which you shouldn't be able to do as only click and deliver is permitted afaik) you'll most certainly get some folk going out to collect what's classed as non essential.

Why can't we all go to Lifestyle or Penneys for a click and reserve?

Big difference between what was going on with takeaway pints and click and collect.

Honestly, I don't get this obsession with "all movement is bad". As opposed to focusing on social contacts. You'd think nearly a year into the pandemic we could manage it with a little more nuance. Even when click and collect was a thing, there was a tiny handful of people going to the click and collect desk compared to the volumes of people moving round the grocery department. Having used click and collect services in a few places a few times myself when they were open, it was a case of get out of the car, put on mask, walk up to desk, take my item, go back to car, take off mask, drive home. I worry about the powers that be's decision making process when that's the kind of thing they're concerning themselves with.

Progress on the City Hall Mass Vaccination centre.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40222166.html

First look inside a mass vaccination centre in Cork

"..........It is also understood that health officials are considering developing similar vaccination hubs at Mallow GAA Club’s complex in North Cork, at the Bantry primary care centre in West Cork,"

2321954_19_articleinline_dan_20clinic_206.jpg

2321957_19_articleinline_dan_20clinic_203.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

May be of interest to people in this thread, whether for themselves or for someone you are taking care of.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40222673.html
    CORK priests are preparing for an Ash Wednesday never seen before with services allowing parishioners to collect ashes and carry out the sacred tradition at home.

Thousands of envelopes have been delivered to churches across Cork city and county so that families can bless their loved ones at home.

Ashes will be blessed as normal before being left for collection in churches across the city and county. Distributed by Bishop Fintan Gavin, the packaged ashes will be placed along altar rails and tables for those stopping by to pray.

A special prayer will be printed on each envelope as a keepsake for those still celebrating the holy day.

[...]

He is encouraging parishioners to bring ashes home to loved ones unable to travel.

"One of the nice things about it is there are no conditions attached to who can receive ashes on Ash Wednesday. It's open to anybody of any age. We see older people coming with their small grandchildren asking us if we can bless them. Many who are physically challenged still want to make this a special day."

[...]

He urged people to respect public health guidelines when collecting their ashes.

"People are being asked to avoid congregating. There is no need for people to rush and come together. We also ask that people respect the distance to their churches."

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

36 cases today in Cork. Hopefully we will see it stay this low or lower for the rest of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Might be a Monday swing but that's great to see

Long may it continue in that vain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,607 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Daisy03 wrote: »
    36 cases today in Cork. Hopefully we will see it stay this low or lower for the rest of the week.

Be nice to know how many of these are workplaces, hospitals, nursing home or private houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,098 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rfrip wrote: »
    Hope you are feeling well Liz

I am feeling stronger less oxygen needed, again they are brilliant here in CUH

Advertisement