Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Has their been any indication when these will begin operating?
    i think group 5-6-7 are the first for those, we're currently on 3 and 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Dublin only has 4. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Daisy03

Does anyone personally know someone aged 85 or over that has an appt for their vaccine?

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Does anyone personally know someone aged 85 or over that has an appt for their vaccine?
    My grandmother who's 87 got the call about 30 mins ago for vaccination on Wednesday.

My grandmother who's 87, got the call about 30 mins ago for Wednesday.

Great news. Was the call from her GP?

• Advertisement

Great news. Was the call from her GP?
    yup. Two GPs in her clinic, the first GP gave appointments out early last week, her GP is giving them out today. They were previously told 2 weeks but it must have been accelerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,093 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, I posted last week that my mother is booked in for Wednesday this week.
    Contact came through her GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

My 86 year old mother has not heard yet but coincidentally I need to take her to meet her GP later this afternoon for a test. I shall be enquiring with them obviously what their plans are then.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Dublin only has 4. Very impressive.

Dublin being population dense makes the roll out of vaccines easier in ways. There's folk in cork hours from the city and our public transport is woeful.

Melbourn is a very good location for it. It is a huge centre.

Yes...very accessible. Decent parking facilities and good bus service.

City Hall not so much!

• Advertisement

One criticism I'd have of the list above is that East Cork is just not covered at all. Ideally you'd have 2-3 in the city, 1 in West Cork (Bantry), 1 in North Cork (Mallow) and 1 in somewhere like Youghal or Midleton. Unless they send people from East Cork to Dungarvan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Family friends of ours, a couple, both over 85 have been contacted by their GP I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

One criticism I'd have of the list above is that East Cork is just not covered at all. Ideally you'd have 2-3 in the city, 1 in West Cork (Bantry), 1 in North Cork (Mallow) and 1 in somewhere like Youghal or Midleton. Unless they send people from East Cork to Dungarvan.

Ya, I thought that was odd too, none even in Dungarvan, their choices are Cork City or Waterford city. I'm sure there's similar issues in any large county.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I thought that was odd too, none even in Dungarvan, their choices are Cork City or Waterford city. I'm sure there's similar issues in any large county.
    Yeah I suppose so. Weird how Galway only has 1 MVC too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

East Cork is within easy reach of the city locations. Part's of west Cork could well be sent to Killarney.

Pairc Ui Caoimh and Mallow have been made available rent free no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Yes my mother has an appointment for Wednesday at her GP's. She's delighted.

Donegal only has one too and given the size of the county I thought there would be more. Great to see Cork having so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

population size matters more than county size. Only 160,000, Cork City has 210K-250K alone, 542,868 in the county and city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Cape Clear wrote: »
    East Cork is within easy reach of the city locations. Part's of west Cork could well be sent to Killarney.

Pairc Ui Caoimh and Mallow have been made available rent free no doubt.

Bantry would be closer than killarney for West cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Bantry would be closer than killarney for West cork.

Even Cork city would be closer for most of West Cork than Killarney, if you consider the quality of the roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There should definitely be somewhere between Cork City and Waterford City for East Cork, even a smaller centre, not everything revolves around the city. Hopefully the GP's and pharmacies can plug the gaps in between. Nevertheless it's good to finally see these plans coming into view now, with the longer evenings too it increases the hope in people I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

29 cases in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It’s a happy day - no deaths recorded.

Ludo wrote: »
    My 86 year old mother has not heard yet but coincidentally I need to take her to meet her GP later this afternoon for a test. I shall be enquiring with them obviously what their plans are then.

GP ( who claims to be biggest in Cork :rolleyes: ) says they will not get it until week of 1st March. One of the last to get it.

And, get this, to register for the vaccine on their website. Sure, coz all over 85 know to do that. I was not impressed with that bit and let them know that there should be no need to register over 85s on a GPs website to get a call about the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭rodders999

Great to see zero deaths.

Are they still predicting 200-400 daily cases by the end of the month?

Only 2 weeks left so numbers would want to start falling dramatically to reach that target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,097 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought every large town would have a vaccine centre in a hall or centre

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Only one in the radisson hotel in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

who_me wrote: »
    Even Cork city would be closer for most of West Cork than Killarney, if you consider the quality of the roads

Somewhere like Ballyvourney would find it easier to get to Killarney than Bantry or Cork city id say. You've q pretty good road from there to Killarney whereas going back to Cork it's a bit crap til Macroom. Somewhere like Millstreet might be 50/50 between Mallow and Killarney

rodders999 wrote: »
    Great to see zero deaths.

Are they still predicting 200-400 daily cases by the end of the month?

Only 2 weeks left so numbers would want to start falling dramatically to reach that target.

Today's briefing mentioned that the cases/day has stopped dropping drastically and that there is concern at the rise in cases amongst the 19 to 24 year old age group.

If you look at page 10 on this link (Slides from the NPHET press briefing - Monday 15 February) the graph would suggest we might well not be at 200-400 daily cases in two weeks time........ the incidence rate per 100,000 per day is looking quite level for the last two weeks. Graph on page 3 also levelling out over last two weeks.

Likely due to all close contacts being tested IMO

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/4b505-slides-from-the-nphet-press-briefings/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I'd imagine that may happen later on. Most of the centres are in densely populated areas. A bit like the ESB repair crew they tend to concentrate on getting towns back up and running before out in the sticks.

Advertisement