Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

We're still messing though, Ballygarvan GAA pitch at 5.45 today, 6+ smallies all grouped up , obviously not from the same family,crazy stuff

sorry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

sporina wrote: »
    sorry?

I mean us Irish aren't taking social distancing seriously,
    6 plus kids playing today on Ballygarvan GAA pitch, obviously not from the same family,and how the hell are we going to get restrictions lifted if irresponsible parents don't keep their bloody kids in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

6 plus kids playing today on Ballygarvan GAA pitch, obviously not from the same family,and how the hell are we going to get restrictions lifted if irresponsible parents don't keep their bloody kids in
    Did u call the guards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

yeah there are still loads not complying - in my post I meant that at the time I go there it is not that busy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Worztron wrote: »
    You talk about rational debate? When did I ever mention banning booze? I simply stated my opinion on the closure of OL for the duration of the lockdown. Why can't you get that?

I repeat this from my last post:
    According to the WHO, drinking alcohol can increase the risk of catching COVID-19 and governments around the world should limit access during coronavirus lockdowns.

Don't ever stop being you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭FierceMild

Re: The issue with off-licenses still being open.

I'm pretty sure the reason that off-licenses are still open is that they are classed as an essential service due to the fact that Ireland (along with nearly every Western country) has a significant minority of dependent alcoholics. If they go into withdrawal due to a lack of access to alcohol some will need medical attention.

Alcohol is one of the few substances whose withdrawal symptoms can kill. Considering that the point of the entire lockdown is to prevent the medical system being swamped I can see why they've decided to allow off-licences to remain open.

In response to the oft repeated reply as to why alcoholics don't just buy alcohol at supermarkets and leave off-licences to close; I think this can be answered by the fact that this will merely redirect more traffic to supermarkets and also prompt people to travel further for alcohol as opposed to just going to their local off-licence so there's little net-benefit to closing them.

I'm pretty sure that it's the possible strain from restricting supply to alcohol dependants that's the reason that off-licences and other alcohol vendors have been deemed essential in every locked down country in Europe and the US so far.

FierceMild wrote: »
    Re: The issue with off-licenses still being open.

I'm pretty sure the reason that off-licenses are still open is that they are classed as an essential service due to the fact that Ireland (along with nearly every Western country) has a significant minority of dependent alcoholics. If they go into withdrawal due to a lack of access to alcohol they will go into withdrawal and some will need medical attention.

Alcohol is one of the few substances whose withdrawal symptoms can kill. Considering that the point of the entire lockdown is to prevent the medical system being swamped I can see why they've decided to allow off-licences to remain open.

In response to the oft repeated reply as to why alcoholics don't just buy alcohol at supermarkets and leave off-licences to close; I think this can be answered by the fact that this will merely redirect more traffic to supermarkets and also prompt people to travel further for alcohol as opposed to just going to their local off-licence so there's little net-benefit to closing them.

I'm pretty sure that it's the possible strain from restricting supply to alcohol dependants that's the reason that off-licences and other alcohol vendors have been deemed essential in every locked down country in Europe and the US so far.

Alcohol is baaaad.
    Close the off licences.
    Why can't you understand that??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »

Jason Bourne isolating in Ireland :p

Did u call the guards?

Yes

Did u call the guards?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I thought this article was very interesting and scary:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8230775/Is-proof-live-saving-ventilators-actually-deathtraps.html

I think in Italy they have started giving people these oxygen helmets to wear instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I thought this article was very interesting and scary:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8230775/Is-proof-live-saving-ventilators-actually-deathtraps.html

I think in Italy they have started giving people these oxygen helmets to wear instead.

It’s from the Daily Mail, FFS. I can tell you, without opening it and with certainty, that it’s absolute ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

On the subject of aggressive beggars be wide of this guy around town the last few days going up to everyone claiming he lost his credit cards. Red haired guy in his twenties with a man bag. Arrogant loudmouth of a fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

On the subject of aggressive beggars be wide of this guy around town the last few days going up to everyone claiming he lost his credit cards. Red haired guy in his twenties with a man bag.Arrogant loudmouth of a fella.

Haven't come across him. Been approached twice this week by the same Eastern European girl needing change for the bus, dark hair, late 30's, loud, no concept of social distancing..

End of January we really hadn't a clue, interesting to read that article now with hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Are takeaways busy? Likes of Luigi Malone's are still open for example, so are they really busy atm? Anyone here order anything from anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

titan18 wrote: »
    Are takeaways busy? Likes of Luigi Malone's are still open for example, so are they really busy atm? Anyone here order anything from anywhere?

Only gotten the royal palace chinese in the lough. Place is packed at the weekends anyway with collections and deliveries

• Advertisement

I normally order food around twice a week. Not sure how busy they are because most people probably get delivery. I like to phone in my order and then pick up at the specified time because it's fresher that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Wow opinions and beliefs change when more information is made available and discovered. I never knew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We would eat out every so often (maybe once to twice a month) so we're starting from a very low base, but we haven't ordered a takeaway/delivery since this began. We also moved in the last while so have no idea of the offerings near us.

Kerry25x wrote:
    I normally order food around twice a week. Not sure how busy they are because most people probably get delivery. I like to phone in my order and then pick up at the specified time because it's fresher that way.

Do you find its busy when you do that? That would be my intention aswell. I've seen the Chinese out at The Lough and it's packed, but wondering is Bombay Palace or Luigi Malone's better. Feel like I should treat myself on Friday as I've a day off

Do you find its busy when you do that? That would be my intention aswell. I've seen the Chinese out at The Lough and it's packed, but wondering is Bombay Palace or Luigi Malone's better. Feel like I should treat myself on Friday as I've a day off

I've been to West Cork Burger, Captain Americas, Bunsen, Domino's and Koto recently. West Cork Burger was the only one that was any way busy but that might be to do with the time of night I went, I'd often order food around lunch time.

Some places phone you when the food is ready to go too so you're literally in and out in as long as it takes to hand you the bag.

It's fairly tempting to get one as a treat. Have had to cancel 2 holidays which is about the only time I'd go to s restaurant bar Christmas so be nice for a change

It's fairly tempting to get one as a treat. Have had to cancel 2 holidays which is about the only time I'd go to s restaurant bar Christmas so be nice for a change

I like to excuse my excessive eating out as supporting the local economy. Go ahead and treat yourself :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭yogmeister

I ve ordered and collected from luigis and nosta. Both places were quiet when I collected. Hopefully they both last till this is over and done with.

Regarding beggars on the streets, surely very few people are carrying cash at the moment. I suspect they aren't doing very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

For sure as you mentioned it, don't think I've carried any cash for over a month now.

Advertisement