Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

ACE you might know but have the hse started sharing their daily figures on numbers vaccinated yet?

Yeah its available on the covid hub or https://twitter.com/covid19dataie?s=21 daily

Theres a 72 hr delay on the data so today we got Sunday’s figures, tomorrow we’ll get Monday’s figures etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The 5km rule has been a hot topic in this thread in the last couple of months (guilty!), but this is something I did not know: the eviction ban is tied to the 5km exercise rule.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1362142113513631746

what a sh1t hole of a country we have to stay 5km due to some agreement with landlords

Kerry are doing great........ 14 day incidence rate is 83.3, lowest in the country........ Cork is very good at 147.5. Limerick is 267.8. Tipperary 152.3..... Waterford 292.7 & Clare 142.2 for full Munster picture.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0217/1197573-covid-19/

The testing of close contacts is finding more cases as expected......... "The increased transmissibility of this variant is apparent in the current profile of the disease in households, with one in three household contacts of a confirmed case testing positive for Covid-19," he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭Be right back

Got my first vaccine today. Feel fine after it.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-coronvavirus-nearing-endgame-as-case-numbers-fall-around-the-world-1152417

Trinity Professor Luke O’Neill...... We are now “taking the first tentative steps towards the endgame” of the coronavirus pandemic........... the Trinity Immunologist said the world could finally leave the pandemic behind in six to nine months.

I reckon we'll see some restrictions throughout the Summer and into Autumn.
    We should all going well be able to do some travelling to other counties over the Summer for staycations etc

Perhaps a situation like last August for the Summer of 2021?

With ... 12 weeks between doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine we won't have everyone vaccinated for quite a few months let.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/luke-oneill-ireland-will-be-awash-with-covid-19-vaccines-by-april-may-1150541 ............

If folk are allowed travel to other counties it's reasonable to expect more folk will travel into Cork than out of it, we'd be somewhat of a staycation destination with our coastal towns etc. Hopefully the various businesses in the various parts of the hospitality game have a decent season.

It's good to be looking ahead anyway with positive realism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

what a sh1t hole of a country we have to stay 5km due to some agreement with landlords

I understand the outline of the frustration, but it's not an agreement with landlords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

In terms of vaccinations, we're up to 280,581 doses administered now (182,193 first, 98,388 second), or approx. 5.63 doses per 100 people.

The vaccination rate had seemed to tail off since the start of the month, but we're probably just starting to see the start of the increased rate again (target of 80,000 doses delivered this week) in these 'delayed' numbers.

120,000 doses planned for next week. Pretty serious ramp up of almost 50% on this week's total of 80,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,097 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

47 deaths - RIP
    901 cases (31 in Cork)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

120,000 doses planned for next week. Pretty serious ramp up of almost 50% on this week's total of 80,000.

Definitely. And especially since I think it was just in the low 40,000s last week I think.

• Advertisement

31 cases in Cork today. I saw yesterday the R in Cork/Kerry is estimated at 0.4 while Dublin is approaching or above 1. Cases reflect it. 437 cases in Dublin today is ridiculous to be honest. Nowhere else is close. Next highest is Limerick with 49.

Yes Dublin is ridiculous.... 6 times the population of Limerick but 10 times the cases.
    Appalling outlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Got my first vaccine today. Feel fine after it.

My aunt got her first one as well today, the Pfizer version. All went smoothly, took around an hour for the whole thing with a 30 min wait beforehand. No side effects she was saying & made an appointment to come back in 4 weeks for #2.

I expect the hints to come visit will start to appear around then :)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    47 deaths - RIP
    901 cases (31 in Cork)

Great to see low numbers again in Cork.

opus wrote: »
    My aunt got her first one as well today, the Pfizer version. All went smoothly, took around an hour for the whole thing with a 30 min wait beforehand. No side effects she was saying & made an appointment to come back in 4 weeks for #2.

I expect the hints to come visit will start to appear around then :)

That's great. I got the astraZenrca one. 10 weeks for 2nd shot.

rodders999 wrote: »
    Great to see zero deaths.

Are they still predicting 200-400 daily cases by the end of the month?

Only 2 weeks left so numbers would want to start falling dramatically to reach that target.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Today's briefing mentioned that the cases/day has stopped dropping drastically and that there is concern at the rise in cases amongst the 19 to 24 year old age group.

If you look at page 10 on this link (Slides from the NPHET press briefing - Monday 15 February) the graph would suggest we might well not be at 200-400 daily cases in two weeks time........ the incidence rate per 100,000 per day is looking quite level for the last two weeks. Graph on page 3 also levelling out over last two weeks.

Likely due to all close contacts being tested IMO

https://www.gov.ie/en/collection/4b505-slides-from-the-nphet-press-briefings/

10 days out from month end now, can't see cases per day halving given 90% of cases are apparently the more contagious strain.... Also numbers in ICU quite high still so looking like level 5 continuing for March.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/level-5-restrictions-to-stay-until-at-least-april-despite-school-reopening-plan-1.4489012?mode=amp

There was concern expressed at the meeting that daily cases of Covid-19 were still too high and not falling fast enough.

A source pointed out that the number of people in intensive care units was also still too high, and was considerably lower when restrictions were eased after the first wave of the virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,097 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the vaccine going to be a yearly double jab?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is the vaccine going to be a yearly double jab?

From what I know it remains to be seen but tweaked booster-shots for new strains are certainly a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From what I know it remains to be seen but tweaked booster-shots for new strains are certainly a possibility.

This would be my understanding also.

So, will the elderly need another jab in October for Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This would be my understanding also.

So, will the elderly need another jab in October for Winter?

I guess it depends on how the vaccines perform against novel strains should they emerge before then.

• Advertisement

If folk are allowed travel to other counties it's reasonable to expect more folk will travel into Cork than out of it, we'd be somewhat of a staycation destination with our coastal towns etc. Hopefully the various businesses in the various parts of the hospitality game have a decent season.

With the latest news suggesting a very, very cautious unravelling of restrictions I've booked a little staycation in West Cork for May. Hopefully such things will be permitted by then.

rodders999 wrote: »
    Great to see zero deaths.

Are they still predicting 200-400 daily cases by the end of the month?

Only 2 weeks left so numbers would want to start falling dramatically to reach that target.

Latest..... https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-tight-restrictions-to-remain-until-may-as-case-numbers-plateau-1.4489030

"Nphet last night revised upwards its forecast for downward projection of daily cases. Prof Philip Nolan, chair of the Nphet epidemiological modelling advisory group, forecast 400-500 cases a day by March 1st, and 200-350 by mid-March, assuming no further change in the reproduction number."

"Prof Nolan said further progress in being made in reducing infections but the rate has slowed down. This is “almost certainly” due to the B117 variant that was first identified in the UK and now accounts for 90 per cent of Irish cases"

Before this was announced it was looking unlikely anyway, as you said "2 weeks left so numbers would want to start falling dramatically to reach that target"

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 02/02/2021 to 15/02/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 68 (-41), LEA rate per 100k pop: 182.5 (-110)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 35 (-30), LEA rate per 100k pop: 289.9 (-160.5)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 43 (-26), LEA rate per 100k pop: 122.4 (-74)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 48 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: 140.7 (-)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 78 (-52), LEA rate per 100k pop: 185 (-123.3)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 66 (-25), LEA rate per 100k pop: 164.2 (-62.2)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 43 (-38), LEA rate per 100k pop: 111.2 (-98.3)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 72 (-38), LEA rate per 100k pop: 168.3 (-88.8)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 49 (-38), LEA rate per 100k pop: 104.1 (-80.8)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 51 (-50), LEA rate per 100k pop: 140.1 (-137.3)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 53 (-25), LEA rate per 100k pop: 212.6 (-100.2)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 25 (-25), LEA rate per 100k pop: 67.9 (-67.8)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 86 (-2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 295 (-6.8)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 57 (-48), LEA rate per 100k pop: 125.4 (-105.7)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 45 (-15), LEA rate per 100k pop: 148.6 (-49.5)

We are some way off our neighbours in Kerry.
    It's no wonder some folk are mentioning a Cork/Kerry r number :)
    Kerry is the lowest incidence in Ireland by a considerable margin. Next highest is almost 30 per 100,000 off it. Trying to compare is bizarre.

We are doing incredibly well.

Kerry is the lowest incidence in Ireland by a considerable margin. Next highest is almost 30 per 100,000 off it. Trying to compare is bizarre.

We are doing incredibly well.

Indeed we are doing tremendously well, I just can't understand why there's any merit in a Cork/Kerry r number.......... it's IMO bizarre :)
    There was a cork/kerry r number mentioned in here recently. As you say, comparison with Kerry is bizarre so what's the cork/kerry r number about?

Indeed we are doing tremendously well, I just can't understand why there's any merit in a Cork/Kerry r number.......... it's IMO bizarre :)
    There was a cork/kerry r number mentioned in here recently. As you say, comparison with Kerry is bizarre so what's the cork/kerry r number about?
    It's regional. A data analyst used it to compare Munster vs Dublin. When you combine regional r numbers you get the national r number, it's statistics :) The r rate can be the same but places can have different 100k averages, that's entirely plausible.

It's regional. A data analyst used it to compare Munster vs Dublin. .........

Was it not Cork/Kerry? I didn't think Limerick made it into the Munster figures in that particular analysts work that was posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Augeo,

The Southern Health Board must really blow your mind in that case
    (you know, being the 'bizarre' combination of Cork and Kerry and all.)

Augeo,

The Southern Health Board must really blow your mind in that case
    (you know, being the 'bizarre' combination of Cork and Kerry and all.)

Not really.
    That's not at al analogous to Munster figures being just a Cork/Kerry combined number compared to Dublin.

I was just told that comparing the incidence rate of Kerry to Cork was bizarre, given you're Southern Health Board comment your mind must be blown to tiny pieces.

the comparison wasn't Southern Heath Board (Cork City, County Cork, County Kerry) to Eastern Health Board (Dublin City, County Dublin, County Kildare, County Wicklow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Numbers are great and good to see safety wise, but restriction wise we as a whole are unfortunately only as good as the highest case county.

But in good news, it seems the Pfizer vaccine no longer needs to be stored at ultra cold temperatures and can be kept at normal medical freezer temperatures of -15c to -25c in stead of previously needing -60c to -80c.

https://www.ft.com/content/919d16c8-0a40-4389-bac9-04a48fdb0a36 (Headline is here, I had read it via link on twitter which showed full article)

Edit: RTE running story on it now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0219/1198121-coronavirus-vaccine/

Advertisement