Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Be right back

28 cases today in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,097 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

28 cases today in Cork.

28 further deaths RIP

763 new confirmed cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

28 cases today in Cork.
    As of last night there are 37 patients in the CUH and 13 in the Mercy with 13 and 4 in ICU, respectively.

Just ignore the statistics if you don't like them bud, the rest of us will keep lapping it up

What statistics am I ignoring "bud"?

As of tonight Cork has the 3rd lowest incidence (113.8) nationwide behind Kilkenny and Kerry

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    What statistics am I ignoring "bud"?
    Re-read what I said ;)

I've not ignored anything, please advise what statistics I have ignored?

Why delete your post?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Quit the back seat moderating

Quit the bickering

Quit the passive aggressive comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Be right back

Dr Tony Holohans' wife has died.

Oh that's awful, I was wondering where he was of late and feared it was soething personal like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Very sad news.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh that's awful, I was wondering where he was of late and feared it was soething personal like that.

She's been unwell since the start of the pandemic. He stepped away for a couple of months last year to spend time with her but then came back to work.
    Very sad.

would expect glynn to take over now again. He's far more levelheaded imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

It’s remarkable that this time last year, most of us wouldn’t have known of Dr Tony and even fewer would have known of Dr Glynn. Now they’re household names.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    It’s remarkable that this time last year, most of us wouldn’t have known of Dr Tony and even fewer would have known of Dr Glynn. Now they’re household names.
    Uhhh I dunno about that :D

Fair! At least for me, I only found out about his role in the Cervical Check scandal as the own pandemic wore on.

Still pretty nuts how public health doctors have become household names these days.

Luke O Neill is a celeb and everywhere :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Who’s Luke oNeill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

If we had Dancing with the Stars. He'd be on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

True for me.

MM is on RnaG saying he does not anticipate pubs & hospitality re-opening before mid-summer.

Just what you want to here on this beautiful February Saturday...

You'd think he'd say nothing....... that comes a day after Leo says Varadkar: Taoiseach did not say Level 5 will last until May

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-taoiseach-did-not-say-level-5-will-last-until-may-1083909.html

Of course restaurants are closed at level 4 but until they announce something officially all the little bits and pieces of info just rub folk up the wrong way IMO.

In Cork we could be down to single digit cases per day by early May and tiny hospital numbers . Fairly difficult to reconcile that with anything over L3 IMO.

The 12 weeks AZ vaccine thing is a key factor in all of this I feel
    https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-oxford-jab-more-effective-when-doses-are-delivered-three-months-apart-study-finds-12222938
    "The study supports the government's strategy that rolling out first doses - with a second dose after three months - is effective"

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

MM is on RnaG saying he does not anticipate pubs & hospitality re-opening before mid-summer.

Its like they are trying to break people by under promising to the max so they can make themselves look good by over delivering. Seeing as this will be FFs last time being a major player in government for at least a decade after this it could be his last gamble to get poll numbers up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-oxford-jab-more-effective-when-doses-are-delivered-three-months-apart-study-finds-12222938
    "The study supports the government's strategy that rolling out first doses - with a second dose after three months - is effective"

With the first dose offering 76% protection before the second dose (which brings it up to 81%), can't see how the 12 week thing is anything but a good thing for us? (supply in 3 months time will be a lot more than it is now, so we'll be able to get twice as many people vaccinated sooner).

I mean 76% is better than what's quoted for "game changing 1-dose vaccine" J&J. Fair enough, the different prevalence of variants in different clinical trial regions makes it harder to compare like for like.

Stark wrote: »
    With the first dose offering 76% protection before the second dose (which brings it up to 81%), can't see how the 12 week thing is anything but a good thing for us? (supply in 3 months time will be a lot more than it is now, so we'll be able to get twice as many people vaccinated sooner).

I mean 76% is better than what's quoted for "game changing 1-dose vaccine" J&J. Fair enough, the different prevalence of variants in different clinical trial regions makes it harder to compare like for like.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/medicines/human/EPAR/covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca

"This means that the vaccine demonstrated around a 60% efficacy in the clinical trials"

AZ efficacy data is improving ........ so too might the J&J ones...... clinical trial data for both is rather similar.

Folk won't be considered vaccinated until they've gotten a second dose if it's a two dose vaccine.

It looks like the article is suggesting things that weren't actually said?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198280-taoiseach-restrictions/

No consideration of reopening of hospitality before mid-summer - Martin

No consideration will be given to opening hospitality until mid-summer, Taoiseach Mícheál Martin has said.

Speaking on RTÉ's Raidió na Gaeltachta, Mr Martin said that the coronavirus numbers are far too high and that the Government and public health officials are particularly concerned about the emergence of new variants.

"While I am happy that we are making progress with the vaccination programme," Mr Martin said, "any easing of the restrictions has to be slow and cautious because of the threat from new variants of the disease."

"These variants are our biggest concern for managing the disease in the immediate future," he added.

Asked about the reopening of hospitality, Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer

"What the public health authorities are saying is that we stick with this until end of April, then we reflect on the situation and make decisions about the months ahead," he said.

What he said is bolded, anything else is RTE's view on his utterings surely?

I'd expect Cork eateries to be facilitating more than take aways in May to be honest, but that's 100% just my opinion/guess. Areas with more covid than the rest of the country have had different restrictions before so no reason why that won't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

You'd think he'd say nothing....... that comes a day after Leo says Varadkar: Taoiseach did not say Level 5 will last until May

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-taoiseach-did-not-say-level-5-will-last-until-may-1083909.html

Of course restaurants are closed at level 4 but until they announce something officially all the little bits and pieces of info just rub folk up the wrong way IMO.

In Cork we could be down to single digit cases per day by early May and tiny hospital numbers . Fairly difficult to reconcile that with anything over L3 IMO.

To be honest we’ll probably be at 0 cases and 0 in our hospitals in May definitely in Cork and possibly the rest of the country. We went days without cases last year without a vaccine!

It looks like the article is suggesting things that weren't actually said?

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198280-taoiseach-restrictions/

No consideration of reopening of hospitality before mid-summer - Martin

No consideration will be given to opening hospitality until mid-summer, Taoiseach Mícheál Martin has said.

Speaking on RTÉ's Raidió na Gaeltachta, Mr Martin said that the coronavirus numbers are far too high and that the Government and public health officials are particularly concerned about the emergence of new variants.

"While I am happy that we are making progress with the vaccination programme," Mr Martin said, "any easing of the restrictions has to be slow and cautious because of the threat from new variants of the disease."

"These variants are our biggest concern for managing the disease in the immediate future," he added.

Asked about the reopening of hospitality, Mr Martin said he did not foresee that happening before the middle of the summer

"What the public health authorities are saying is that we stick with this until end of April, then we reflect on the situation and make decisions about the months ahead," he said.

What he said is bolded, anything else is RTE's view on his utterings surely?

I'd expect Cork eateries to be facilitating more than take aways in May to be honest, but that's 100% just my opinion/guess.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1363099521358696450

• Advertisement

Having not heard the interview I'd be slow to 100% believe a richardchambers twitter where he has literally stuck some words into a direct quote :)
    also the words he jammed in was "reopening pubs etc", I'm not sure restaurants are in that spiel....... pubs opened outside of Dublin for a small enough period last year and in Dublin they didn't open at all.

Advertisement