Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,097 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fin12 wrote: »
    Who’s Luke oNeill?

Immunology Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Why is the drapery in Dunnes Store Carrigaline open, thought they were to close under lockdown. My wife was able to buy stuff there to day?

I was in Dunnes Bishopstown a week or so ago and stuff like dressing gowns, pyjamas along with cushions and curtains were available but clothes and shoes weren't. Although I've read (here I think) that there's a thing now in dunnes, "click and reserve" since "click and collect" was stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

You can even buy jumpers/jackets/hoodies and other workout gear in the one on Patrick street.

Apparently the adult nightwear section is open to accommodate pregnant women, which makes sense, but I have no idea what the justification for the entire homeware department being open is.

It’s ridiculously unfair considering other similar shops have been forcibly closed for over 8 weeks and probably won’t be allowed open until May at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

It’s mad in bishopstown dunnes, hoodies and fleeces practically beside the beef mince!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You can even buy jumpers/jackets/hoodies and other workout gear in the one on Patrick street.

Apparently the adult nightwear section is open to accommodate pregnant women, which makes sense, but I have no idea what the justification for the entire homeware department being open is.

It’s ridiculously unfair considering other similar shops have been forcibly closed for over 8 weeks and probably won’t be allowed open until May at this rate.

would you rather they were all closed?

frank8211 wrote: »
    would you rather they were all closed?

I would rather the rules be applied fairly across the board. Either it’s too dangerous to have non essential retail open, or it isn’t.

It’s a double standard and a complete slap in the face to the people who are out of work and trying to survive on the PUP payment for the majority of the last 12 months because their places of work aren’t allowed to open.

Their jobs are essential to them, and it must be soul destroying to see the likes of Dunnes breaking the rules and getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I would rather the rules be applied fairly across the board. Either it’s too dangerous to have non essential retail open, or it isn’t.

It’s a double standard and a complete slap in the face to the people who are out of work and trying to survive on the PUP payment for the majority of the last 12 months because their places of work aren’t allowed to open.

Their jobs are essential to them, and it must be soul destroying to see the likes of Dunnes breaking the rules and getting away with it.

You're spot on.

Unfortunately that would take some thinking and work, which is never the strong point of FF and FG politicians in Ireland. They see everything as a game. They are not equipped to do any actual work. They spend all their energy dodging questions and ducking and diving.

But sure they keep getting voted in, so ultimately its the fault of the older generation of voters in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

So close everything then and let everyone go and order clothes on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Mardyke wrote: »
    You're spot on.

Unfortunately that would take some thinking and work, which is never the strong point of FF and FG politicians in Ireland. They see everything as a game. They are not equipped to do any actual work. They spend all their energy dodging questions and ducking and diving.

But sure they keep getting voted in, so ultimately its the fault of the older generation of voters in this country.

The Govt and the HSE are grossly incompetent.

We are an island nation, on the edge of Europe and with one of the lowest population densities in Europe.
    Yet Ireland has been in lockdown for more than almost any country in Europe and we look like being one the last countries in Europe to open up.

Our health service isn't fit for purpose meaning that the country has to continuously enter draconian lockdowns.
    The airports were left open with almost no restrictions until last month.

There is very little logic to any of the Govts policies.

Why aren't more ICU beds manned and rolled out, almost a year into this pandemic ?

Why wasn't mandatory quarantine required for all travellers into Ireland until recently ?

Why didnt the Govt buy extra vaccine from other sources like the UK and Israel did ?

Why wasnt PPE ordered in adequate supplies and quickly ?

Why did the Govt advocate against wearing masks until 6 months into the pandemic ?

Why werent people fined for breaching restrictions like holding house parties ?

Each week of lockdown costs the country 1bn, that would be enough for 30-50m vaccines.

9 more weeks of lockdown because of wishy washy policy from spoofers.

• Advertisement

frank8211 wrote: »
    So close everything then and let everyone go and order clothes on the internet.

Everything is supposed to be closed anyway, is it not? Every other business is losing out on revenue due to not being allowed to open and sales going online, mostly to UK companies.
    If every other business is suffering through this then why should Dunnes be any different?

Double standards, indeed.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

38 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We're 3rd bottom in cases per 100,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    We're 3rd bottom in cases per 100,000
    Seems like 6-7 counties are driving the bulk of the cases at the moment. Namely: Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Limerick, Louth, Offaly and Monaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Why was a big public appeal made about people who have come from Brazil? Surely the small number would be on record due to the arrival form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

TheDriver wrote: »
    Why was a big public appeal made about people who have come from Brazil? Surely the small number would be on record due to the arrival form?

This is seriously concerning - how in gods name do they not have the details of everyone who travelled here from Brazil in recent weeks.

Yup....tge 3 cases Isolating at home though.... ...if it was on a plane you'd fear more caught it on the flight also...All a tad uncontrolled and more chance of it going wrong I suppose.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-what-is-the-brazilian-variant-and-why-are-experts-worried-1.4490795%3fmode=amp

'
    Three cases have been identified in the Republic, the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) announced on Friday. The three cases were all directly associated with recent travel from Brazil. Anyone flying into Ireland from Brazil is currently required to quarantine at home for 14 days. A spokeswoman for the Department of Health said all three cases cases travelled to Ireland in recent weeks and “went into self-isolation as appropriate”. “The three cases are all part of the one cluster. Public health investigation and follow-up of these cases is ongoing,” she added. '

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are religious services allowed at the moment?

There is a service going on in St Mary's as I type.

Nope... Only funerals.
    Priests can still say mass in a church & it's streamed online so maybe that's it?
    Shouldn't be any congregation iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭ofcork

Rfrip wrote: »
    It’s mad in bishopstown dunnes, hoodies and fleeces practically beside the beef mince!!

Ballyvolane something similar!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Are religious services allowed at the moment?

There is a serving going on in St Mary's as I type.

Priests are saying mass, prayers, etc that are being stramed.

Funerals and Christenings are going ahead also.

The churches are open for you to light candles. pray, etc in providing there isn't ant service taking place.

Priests are saying mass, prayers, etc that are being stramed.

Funerals and Christenings are going ahead also.

The churches are open for you to light candles. pray, etc in providing there isn't ant service taking place.

Many breeches as far as I can see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,689 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What have you seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You could contact the Gardaí if you have witnessed a concerning infringement of the regulations that could lead to an increase in cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Churches are open at times during the week but no regular masses are happening. As said funerals and christenings at reduced numbers are happening. What are you seeing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I saw a group of 8-10 elderly people holding an impromptu rosary in a church in Ballincollig yesterday. They had pushed out the church door to prevent being disturbed. No priest in attendance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

thejuggler wrote: »
    I saw a group of 8-10 elderly people holding an impromptu rosary in a church in Ballincollig yesterday. They had pushed out the door to prevent being disturbed.

How big is the church in ballincollig ? If it’s 8-10 people in a big church reasonably spaced out then it’s probably safer(not without risk) than a packed church. I’ve seen it happen when I’d go to mass for my grandfathers anniversary mass. At the end of mass a few people would stay and say the rosary and they’d be in all corners of the church.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭rodders999

Seems like 6-7 counties are driving the bulk of the cases at the moment. Namely: Dublin, Galway, Kildare, Limerick, Louth, Offaly and Monaghan

Dublin you can almost understand being stubborn number wise given the population density but those other counties would really want to pull the finger out.

Not a hope of 200-400 cases as predicted/hoped by early March.

I saw what appeared to be a priest at the top of the church singing/incanting, amplified and 20 or 30 people in the pews, spread out. I just stuck my head in the door, briefly.
    I went back to the vicinity a while later to see people leaving in a steady stream, some with masks, some without.
    I have no doubt that this was an organised, scheduled event.
    I did call the local Garda station.
    I didn't see any sign of them intervening but I wasn't observing all the time after I called them.

It appeared to take place between 6 and 6.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    How big is the church in ballincollig ? If it’s 8-10 people in a big church reasonably spaced out then it’s probably safer(not without risk) than a packed church. I’ve seen it happen when I’d go to mass for my grandfathers anniversary mass. At the end of mass a few people would stay and say the rosary and they’d be in all corners of the church.
    It's the smaller of the two churches - not huge.

Advertisement