Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Richard missed his calling. Sounds like a 1950's catholic arch bishop.

Great lad for an open letter anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Stark wrote: »
    Still waiting on a date for my 91 year old grandmother. She's with a small practice out in Ballyvolane.

The majority will hear this week. Even with the ramp-up the first week was intentionally slow in the +85 bracket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can't really compare now to when there was no restrictions though, that's a bit dramatic

You thought that my predictions of a massive surge in December were overestimated too. You stated that you didn't think we'd ever see the kind of numbers that we saw in October, again. You were spectacularly wrong, as were most people.
    I'm simply asking people not to become complacent, like we did before.
    I do not accept that that is being dramatic and I, respectfully, have little faith in your predictions.
    Things being back to relative normality by early summer was another of your predictions - I suspect that that will turn out to be way off the mark too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

You thought that my predictions of a massive surge in December were overestimated too. You stated that you didn't think we'd ever see the kind of numbers that we saw in October, again. You were spectacularly wrong, as were most people.
    I'm simply asking people not to become complacent, like we did before.
    I do not accept that that is being dramatic and I, respectfully, have little faith in your predictions.
    Things being back to relative normality by early summer was another of your predictions - I suspect that that will turn out to be way off the mark too.

I don’t know what your plan is for the summer but the government and mine’s is to have a normal one.....
    Also don’t push the “you were wrong about christmas” blah blah blah on me. Everybody was wrong, NPHET was “spectacularly wrong” about worst case scenarios, as was the government, so come off the high horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

so come off the high horse.

Clearly, only room for one high horse in this thread, I see.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Stark wrote: »
    Still waiting on a date for my 91 year old grandmother. She's with a small practice out in Ballyvolane.

Hopefully she should get contacted this week as I heard Paul Reid say the HSE plan to administre 36k vaccine doses this week.

Heard some good news on the radio while I was walking to work earlier, the Pfizer vaccine gives ~85% protection with only one dose so might well become a single dose vaccine in the future. That's after 10 days mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Apparently the second dose is still needed if you want the antibodies to last longer than a couple of months. Though given we're expecting orders of magnitude more supply in second half of year than first half, I can definitely see the case for getting as many people as possible inoculated with first shot right now and top them up when supply issues ease. Even if we end up having to re-do the first shot later in the year it wouldn't be such a big deal as we'll have loads of vaccines then and we'll probably need to give a variants booster anyway.

opus wrote: »
    Hopefully she should get contacted this week as I heard Paul Reid say the HSE plan to administre 36k vaccine doses this week.

Heard some good news on the radio while I was walking to work earlier, the Pfizer vaccine gives ~85% protection with only one dose so might well become a single dose vaccine in the future. That's after 10 days mind you.
    Have to get the second dose as theres no evidence of protection after 42 days of the first dose. Second dose ensures long term immunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Well it was Luke O'Neill who said this on the radio earlier so given him being an immunologist & all I tend to give more weigh to his statements that what I read on an Internet forum :)

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1362877672632840200

• Advertisement

I don’t know what your plan is for the summer but the government and mine’s is to have a normal one.....
    Also don’t push the “you were wrong about christmas” blah blah blah on me. Everybody was wrong, NPHET was “spectacularly wrong” about worst case scenarios, as was the government, so come off the high horse.

Will pubs be open?
    Will we be able to holiday abroad?
    Will we wear masks in retail settings?
    Will there be an all Ireland championship in hurling & football?
    Will we be able to attend LOI matches on a Fri evening after work?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

Augeo wrote: »
    Will pubs be open?

1. Yes but outdoors only
    2. Not till autumn and then only Europe
    3. Yes
    4. Yes but without crowds
    5. No

deckie66 wrote: »
    1. Yes but outdoors only
    2. Not till autumn and then only Europe
    3. Yes
    4. Yes but without crowds
    5. No

Doesn't look like a normal summer so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Doesn't look like a normal summer so.

I would seriously question travel to Europe. I had been quietly hopeful that this might open up by late summer but now I don't think it will unless you are fully vaccinated. And that will exclude a LOT of the population from it so that is not a normal summer.
    Maybe this will open up some time in September but by then kids are back at school again so no foreign holiday this year for lots of people again I believe. Hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Leo and Martin are currently tearing up tomorrow’s speech’s in government buildings after Boris’s address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,097 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The majority will hear this week. Even with the ramp-up the first week was intentionally slow in the +85 bracket.

I thought the majority of the 85 and overs would be done by this week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I know it's hard to answer, but my dad is 78. No underlying conditions.

What kind of possible time frame would he be looking at for vaccination?

TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought the majority of the 85 and overs would be done by this week

A lot being done next week. My 86 yea old mother has not got appt yet. Doc rang today again on another matter and said it will be later this week they will be contacting people with a time for next week. All over 85s should be complete by end of next week I believe is the plan and then onto next group.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

"The Government and Mine..."

:):):)

Will pubs be open?
    After seeing the Brits plan today:

1) Likely yes. June/July I'd say.
    2) If you're vaccinated what's stopping you?
    3) We'll probably have large uptake of masks from now on to deal with flu.
    4) Obviously, yes.
    5) I attended in October so I don't see why not in the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

igCorcaigh wrote: »

TIA.

Can't say for certain, but just read a schedule for one medical centre (West Cork) where they'll be vaccinating one age-group (5 year age groups, I think) every 2 weeks, starting with the 85+ on Wednesday, 80-85s in two weeks time etc.

If that's consistent across centres, he'd probably be looking around the last week in March?

igCorcaigh wrote: »

TIA.
    By the plan, within the next 4 weeks depending on how many patients his GP has over that age

After seeing the Brits plan today:

1) Likely yes. June/July I'd say.
    2) If you're vaccinated what's stopping you?
    3) We'll probably have large uptake of masks from now on to deal with flu.
    4) Obviously, yes.
    5) I attended in October so I don't see why not in the Summer.

You realise Boris wasn't referring to the ROI?
    My mention of masks was that we will likely be mandated to wear them during the summer. Nothing to do with flu.
    Currently you can't travel abroad for holiday iirc.... I don't see that changing in May, June or July. You reckon nothing will stop me, what's stopping me now.?I'm vaccinated now, all restrictions apply to me also.
    Long story short. We're not having a normal summer.
    Regarding the AI, as someone contributed... Yes but without crowds.... Not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

I think we will start to see restrictions relaxing around late April/early May* and full domestic restrictions gone in October/November

*Although depending on how vaccines go and cases, I wouldn't be surprised to see some tightening again during the summer at some point

You realise Boris wasn't referring to the ROI?
    My mention of masks was that we will likely be mandated to wear them during the summer. Nothing to do with flu.
    Currently you can't travel abroad for holiday iirc.... I don't see that changing in May, June or July. You reckon nothing will stop me, what's stopping me now.?I'm vaccinated now, all restrictions apply to me also.
    Long story short. We're not having a normal summer.
    Regarding the AI, as someone contributed... Yes but without crowds.... Not normal.
    If you honestly think we won't follow the Brits then I've no more to say.

19 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The UK is streets ahead of us when it comes to vaccinations?

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The UK is streets ahead of us when it comes to vaccinations?
    In first doses. We're miles ahead in percentage of those who are fully vaccinated.
    When it's all taken into account we're about 5-6 weeks behind.

I'm simply pointing out we won't have a normal summer. If there's any restrictions it won't be normal, very simple concept. There will be plenty restrictions for the Summer.
    You'll never have no more to say, when covid is over perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

This exactly.

That announcement from Boris will force the government to react. Coupled with country’s like Denmark operating under the same EU vaccine distribution plan as we are, giving time frames of early summer for full re-opening and business threatening too re-open soon no matter road plan is in place there’s no way we are lockdown into the summer. Zero chance

Advertisement