Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

In first doses. We're miles ahead in percentage of those who are fully vaccinated.
    When it's all taken into account we're about 5-6 weeks behind.

UK first doses - 17m
    UK second doses - 624k

ROI first doses - 214k
    ROI second doses - 126k

Interesting numbers. But at least 17m people in the UK have a greater degree of immunisation with one shot v two shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Pen Rua wrote: »
    UK first doses - 17m
    UK second doses - 624k

ROI first doses - 214k
    ROI second doses - 126k

Interesting numbers. But at least 17m people in the UK have a greater degree of immunisation with one shot v two shots.
    % with second dose:
    UK: 0.8%
    Ireland: 2.5%

% with first dose:
    UK: 25%
    Ireland: 5%

There's no clinical evidence of immunity exceeding 42 days of a first dose.

Anyway, it's off-topic.

...... road plan is in place there’s no way we are lockdown into the summer. Zero chance

We'll be out if lockdown but there will be restrictions, it won't be a normal summer.
    There was restrictions in December for example. We didn't have lockdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Are those ROI figures accurate?
    Seem a bit out

https://www.howmanyvaccinated.com/ireland

Are those ROI figures accurate?
    Seem a bit out

https://www.howmanyvaccinated.com/ireland
    thats total doses administered, not total vaccinated

• Advertisement

% with second dose:

% with first dose:

Anyway, it's off-topic.

What is the topic of this thread anymore? :confused::pac: (It's gradually veered from Cork COVID, to COVID with some Cork - not that I'm complaining, appreciate that this thread provides local info plus reasoned discussion with a smaller group than the main COVID threads)

thats total doses administered, not total vaccinated

Yes but if you add up the figures from the OP posts
    First & Second it’s still a lower figure tho then the numbers on the link ?

Yes but if you add up the figures from the OP posts
    First & Second it’s still a lower figure tho then the numbers on the link ?
    Latest update as of today is 340,704 doses administered so unless that website is more up to date (HSE figures have 48 hour delay) then its wrong :D

Latest update as of today is 340,704 doses administered so unless that website is more up to date (HSE figures have 48 hour delay) then its wrong :D

I’m just wondering

Equally now I’m wondering where the site is getting it’s figured from

I’m just wondering

Equally now I’m wondering where the site is getting it’s figured from
    its coming from https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/cumulative-covid-vaccinations?tab=chart&stackMode=absolute&time=earliest..latest&country=~IRL&region=World

but even with that its still wrong :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Zardoz

If you honestly think we won't follow the Brits then I've no more to say.

We don't have the vaccine supply to follow them.

Zardoz wrote: »

They're lashing out the AZ vaccine to all groups for weeks before us also.
    To be fair to Boris, his plan is if course subject to things going to actual plan and is likely hopeful as well as an element of playing to the crowd.... Folk lap up such things :)

We're doing 100k a week with 250k a week & 1 million doses a month arriving from April. And that doesn't include J&J, Novavax and Curevac.

People are massively underestimating how fast things will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Surely with the vulnerable, elderly vaccinated by mid April we will be in a better position to open shops, hairdressers etc than were in December, better weather, longer days etc. Obviously hospitality sector might need to stay closed or outdoor only for a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair to Boris, his plan is if course subject to things going to actual plan and is likely hopeful as well as an element of playing to the crowd.... Folk lap up such things :)

Another oven ready plan :D

Surely with the vulnerable, elderly vaccinated by mid April we will be in a better position to open shops, hairdressers etc than were in December, better weather, longer days etc. Obviously hospitality sector might need to stay closed or outdoor only for a bit longer.

Most definitely, there'll very likely be some restrictions into Summer 2021.

Most definitely, there'll very likely be some restrictions into Summer 2021.
    Some restrictions will not prevent people from having a normal summer, like my point earlier.
    Nightclubs being closed doesn't stop me having a normal summer.
    Pubs being outdoors doesn't stop me having a normal summer.

Et cetera.

Some restrictions will not prevent people from having a normal summer, like my point earlier.

Et cetera.

But it does mean it's not a normal Summer.
    Obviously if there are restrictions it's not normal. Normal would be without restrictions.
    Restrictions on travel abroad would be significant to most folk and would make it a very non normal Summer, for example.

I don’t know what your plan is for the summer but the government and mine’s is to have a normal one..............

But it does mean it's not a normal Summer.
    Obviously if there are restrictions it's not normal. Normal would be without restrictions.
    It's not a normal summer, in your opinion*

In my opinion, if I can do what I normally do during summer, go for a pint, chill outside a restaurant, etc, it's pretty 'normal'.
    It's highly subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

We're doing 100k a week with 250k a week & 1 million doses a month arriving from April. And that doesn't include J&J, Novavax and Curevac.

People are massively underestimating how fast things will get better.

I sure hope you're right!

• Advertisement

It's not a normal summer, in your opinion*

It's not at all subjective, if there are restrictions it's not a normal Summer.
    Folk who work from home all of the time and get their shopping delivered can accept life at the moment isn't normal even if it falls into their routine prior to all of the restrictions.

Nothing at all subjective.

It's not at all subjective, if there are restrictions it's not a normal Summer.
    Folk who work from home all of the time and get their shopping delivered can accept life at the moment isn't normal even if it falls into their routine prior to all of the restrictions.

Nothing at all subjective.
    Not being dragged into your disagreeing again, mods orders, have a good evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

After seeing the Brits plan today:

1) Likely yes. June/July I'd say.
    2) If you're vaccinated what's stopping you?
    3) We'll probably have large uptake of masks from now on to deal with flu.
    4) Obviously, yes.
    5) I attended in October so I don't see why not in the Summer.

That is some next level self-delusion if you actually believe all that.

Ludo wrote: »
    That is some next level self-delusion if you actually believe all that.
    which part of it is wrong?

which part of it is wrong?

I don't thin any part of your predictions are necessarily "wrong" (no one can objectively state that they are wrong since no one knows what this summer will be like) but I would be fairly confident to disagree with most of your predictions.

Maybe I'm jaded and tired from the past couple of months, but we all saw how much of a mess was made after Christmas, so I would suggest the Govt & health authorities are going to be uber-cautious for summer.

Don't forget when we originally reopened back after Lockdown 1, that reopening plan was thrown out the window by July or August. The reopening following Lockdown 2 was promptly thrown in the bin. I'm not confident that the third effort at reopening will be much different.

I really do not think we will have a "normal" summer. I will happily come back here in June or July to accept my being wrong if we do have a semblance of a normal summer, and if any of my foregoing post here is totally wrong. I am just guessing, as we all are.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I don't thin any part of your predictions are necessarily "wrong" (no one can objectively state that they are wrong since no one knows what this summer will be like) but I would be fairly confident to disagree with most of your predictions.

Maybe I'm jaded and tired from the past couple of months, but we all saw how much of a mess was made after Christmas, so I would suggest the Govt & health authorities are going to be uber-cautious for summer.

Don't forget when we originally reopened back after Lockdown 1, that reopening plan was thrown out the window by July or August. The reopening following Lockdown 2 was promptly thrown in the bin. I'm not confident that the third effort at reopening will be much different.

I really do not think we will have a "normal" summer. I will happily come back here in June or July to accept my being wrong if we do have a semblance of a normal summer, and if any of my foregoing post here is totally wrong. I am just guessing, as we all are.
    You can't compare this Summer to Christmas or last summer though. In the next 2 months virtually every single vulnerable person will be vaccinated.
    I understand your concerns however. An educated response :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

% with second dose:

% with first dose:

Anyway, it's off-topic.
    I just read on the NHS website that dose 2 isn't being given until 3 to 12 weeks after dose 1. Am I confusing things or does that not contradict this?

I just read on the NHS website that dose 2 isn't being given until 3 to 12 weeks after dose 1. Am I confusing things or does that not contradict this?
    Yes it does contradict it, for everything except the Astrazeneca vaccine which is designed for a 6-12 week gap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

19 thats unreal fair fcuks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Et cetera.

So, it's normal if it appears normal to you.... Even though its not normal at all!!!

You'd find an argument in an empty phone box!!

It clearly will not be a normal summer. The fact that travelling abroad won't be possible (or at least correct) is the biggest example of it not being normal.

Advertisement