Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Just heard that both my grandparents are getting their vaccines this Saturday in the MTU. It looks like it's running as an over 85's only centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

calnand wrote: »
    Just heard that both my grandparents are getting their vaccines this Saturday in the MTU. It looks like it's running as an over 85's only centre.

MTU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

MTU?
    CIT is now MTU, munster technological university, alongside IT Tralee

Didn’t know that was getting used as a vaccination center. Has the city hall one opened yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Augeo wrote: »
    They're lashing out the AZ vaccine to all groups for weeks before us also.
    To be fair to Boris, his plan is if course subject to things going to actual plan and is likely hopeful as well as an element of playing to the crowd.... Folk lap up such things :)

Boris couldn't lie straight in the bed but it's not his fault the Brits lap up his bluster. His one way road to freedom might be more commonly called a cul de sac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

Or the RTC when my grandad worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

calnand wrote: »
    Or the RTC when my grandad worked there.

Was his name John and did he teach maths, by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,096 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

19 cases in Cork today

That is very good
    1 further COVID-19 related death is being reported today.

The HPSC confirms they have been notified of a further 686 cases of COVID-19 in the Republic of Ireland.

19 of the cases reported today are in Cork

Level 5 continues till April 5th when they’ll review it again and no new roadmap either. 6 months of level bar 17 days at Xmas. This isn’t living with COVID this is hiding from it and it’s not going away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Level 5 continues till April 5th when they’ll review it again and no new roadmap either. Criminals in suits running this country. 6 months of level bar 17 days at Xmas. This isn’t living with COVID this is hiding from it and it’s not going away

What’s the point? It’s an absolutely disgraceful plan!

The Government’s new Living with Covid-19 Plan is expected to contain very little good news for the public with ministers and their advisers insisting they will not offer any clarity on when restrictions will be eased.

• Advertisement

Level 5 continues till April 5th when they’ll review it again and no new roadmap either. 6 months of level bar 17 days at Xmas. This isn’t living with COVID this is hiding from it and it’s not going away
    I genuinely would love to know what they discussed in the cabinet meeting because there's no plan

I genuinely would love to know what they discussed in the cabinet meeting because there's no plan

Thats my take too. He’ll announce the schools and building sites and say “see ye in April” and walk off again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Playing devil's advocate: I'm not sure what kind of plan people are expecting?

We're already in one of the harsher lockdowns, and numbers are coming down (albeit slowly at this stage), and vaccinations are being are given as soon as available. Ultimately it's a waiting game at this point.

They can't give specific dates for things to return to normal, because no one has that information. No one knows for certain what will happen with the existing and new variants yet. If they give estimates, people will be outraged if/when things change due to the conditions at the time. If they don't give estimates, people give out about the lack of transparency.

Nothing's going to happen until the infection numbers come down, regardless of how tired of it we all are. If they eased the lockdown and the numbers spiralled upwards, we'd attack them for that too.

Fair play to them for not going the populist route & copying Boris.

I suppose we should wait until the official announcement later today.

Iirc mid April is when over 70s will have had first dose.... Their second will be by mid May. Accepting we've very low cases in Cork now and there'll be less, likely a handful by mid May it looks like we will have significant restrictions if not lock down until the over 70s are vaccinated. Easing of restrictions over the following months then, I dunno what percentage of 18 to 70 year olds have conditions that make them at risk but if obesity is a factor you're looking at a significant proportion.

who_me wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate: I'm not sure what kind of plan people are expecting?

We're already in one of the harsher lockdowns, and numbers are coming down (albeit slowly at this stage), and vaccinations are being are given as soon as available. Ultimately it's a waiting game at this point.

They can't give specific dates for things to return to normal, because no one has that information. No one knows for certain what will happen with the existing and new variants yet. If they give estimates, people will be outraged if/when things change due to the conditions at the time. If they don't give estimates, people give out about the lack of transparency.

Nothing's going to happen until the infection numbers come down, regardless of how tired of it we all are. If they eased the lockdown and the numbers spiralled upwards, we'd attack them for that too.

They do know goals for infection rates, don’t be ridiculous.
    To call it a plan is frankly insulting to the people. They should be giving case targets and hospitalisation targets that people can work towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It's difficult when you see Boris giving hope. And who knows, he was right about the vaccines so he shouldn't be dismissed.
    It's grand to sit at home again and again and again. But it's the unfairness that's probably getting to people more than anything. Construction can't go to work yet you see some people working away at non essential gigs.
    Shops can't open yet Dunnes are blatantly flouting the rules
    There's hairdressers working away from home
    We love to berate travel but don't tackle issues like groups of people gathering together.
    Certain groups have massive funerals but they don't seem to get in trouble.
    I think back to the last year when we looked down on the Italians/Chinese/Rugby fans/holiday makers etc etc. Yet we never seem to ask why nursing homes are getting clusters still? Or why Billy Kelleher doesn't quarantine and no further action whereas golfgate causes resignations.
    And then level 5 for another 6 weeks. 6 weeks is a long long time.

People staying at home and running the situation correctly so that people do stay at home are intertwined. The latter is becoming a disaster and hence the former will unravel quickly too.

TheDriver wrote: »
    It's difficult when you see Boris giving hope. And who knows, he was right about the vaccines so he shouldn't be dismissed.
    It's grand to sit at home again and again and again. But it's the unfairness that's probably getting to people more than anything. Construction can't go to work yet you see some people working away at non essential gigs.
    Shops can't open yet Dunnes are blatantly flouting the rules
    There's hairdressers working away from home
    We love to berate travel but don't tackle issues like groups of people gathering together.
    Certain groups have massive funerals but they don't seem to get in trouble.
    I think back to the last year when we looked down on the Italians/Chinese/Rugby fans/holiday makers etc etc. Yet we never seem to ask why nursing homes are getting clusters still? Or why Billy Kelleher doesn't quarantine and no further action whereas golfgate causes resignations.
    And then level 5 for another 6 weeks. 6 weeks is a long long time.

People staying at home and running the situation correctly so that people do stay at home are intertwined. The latter is becoming a disaster and hence the former will unravel quickly too.
    well said

They do know goals for infection rates, don’t be ridiculous.
    To call it a plan is frankly insulting to the people. They should be giving case targets and hospitalisation targets that people can work towards.

Those targets would be nice, but could also be vague and misleading. It's hard to give specific targets when there are multiple variants in Ireland with varying transmissibility, not to mention any new variant that could arise between now and the second half of the year could change the equations again. Any hiccoughs in the vaccine delivery would impact it too. People would be even angrier if dates/schedules were given then abandoned again when infection rates stagnated/increased for any reason.

I'd love to know the infection target rates too, but I suspect they're a long, long way off. We reopened after the 2nd lockdown with about 300 cases per day, and that was obviously far, far too high. It's not as if people can really do much more to work towards targets if given anyhow, as I see it most people are observing the restrictions pretty well.

Mid May over 70s in Cork will be vaccinated.
    You are then into assessing what vulnerable groups remain unvaccinated..... diabetic, folks with heart disease, immuno compromised folk, even obese folk.
    30% of Irish adults are obese iirc......... there's a significant proportion of 18 to 70 year olds that would potentially require hospitalisation if they contracted covid19 so until they are vaccinated we'll see restrictions. I'm tempted to say unfortunately but I'm slow to say it's unfortunate that vulnerable people are being protected tbh.

• Advertisement

Mid May over 70s in Cork will be vaccinated.
    You are then into assessing what vulnerable groups remain unvaccinated..... diabetic, folks with heart disease, immuno compromised folk, even obese folk.
    30% of Irish adults are obese iirc......... there's a significant proportion of 18 to 70 year olds that would potentially require hospitalisation if they contracted covid19 so until they are vaccinated we'll see restrictions. I'm tempted to say unfortunately but I'm slow to say it's unfortunate that vulnerable people are being protected tbh.
    Group 7 is being moved up and run concurrently once group 4 is done - they're not using the same vaccine as over 70s. All vulnerable people will be done by mid-May if supply holds up.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0220/1198333-coroanvirus-ireland/

Group 7 is being moved up and run concurrently once group 4 is done - they're not using the same vaccine as over 70s. All vulnerable people will be done by mid-May if supply holds up..........

the article you linked says the following....... "While work on the revised list is still ongoing there are indications that those with health issues could be listed as the next priority group after the over 70s have been vaccinated.

These health conditions include diabetes, cancer, and heart, kidney, neurological and respiratory diseases.

However, the criteria for moving up the list will be based on clinical advice and evidence of a higher risk of severe illness and it will not include all underlying health conditions."

the article you linked says the following....... "While work on the revised list is still ongoing there are indications that those with health issues could be listed as the next priority group after the over 70s have been vaccinated.

These health conditions include diabetes, cancer, and heart, kidney, neurological and respiratory diseases.

However, the criteria for moving up the list will be based on clinical advice and evidence of a higher risk of severe illness and it will not include all underlying health conditions."
    That list is already published:

Chronic heart disease, including hypertension with cardiac involvement; chronic respiratory disease, including asthma requiring continuous or repeated use of systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission; Type 1 and 2 diabetes; chronic neurological disease; chronic kidney disease; body mass index >40; immunosuppression due to disease or treatment; chronic liver disease; cancer; down syndrome; history of organ transplant; sickle cell disease.

Fingers crossed "A memo is now being drafted and is likely to go to a meeting of Cabinet on Tuesday"
    That list is already published:

Where is the list published?

Fingers crossed "A memo is now being drafted and is likely to go to a meeting of Cabinet on Tuesday"
    hopefully, I'm on that list so it's exciting :D

23 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,096 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

45 more deaths RIP
    575 new cases (23 in Cork)

And 350,322 vaccinations as of Saturday, up now to over 7 doses per 100 people. After a very slow start to February it's finally starting to ramp up, finally surpassing the peak daily vaccination rates from mid-January.

82% of adults to have one vaccine dose by June. That's what I like to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭Zardoz

who_me wrote: »

Harshest lockdown in the Western World despite being an island nation on the edge of Europe with one of the lowest population densities in Europe and the youngest population in Europe with one third of the population under 25 years of age.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9290029/Britains-coronavirus-lockdown-one-toughest-WORLD-study-claims.html

Britain's coronavirus lockdown is one of the toughest in the WORLD with Ireland the only stricter Western nation, study reveals.

Compared to the UK, the Republic of Ireland was the only place in Europe that had stronger lockdown rules (87.96), the study said. Ireland's rules are similar to England's but most construction work has been stopped and click-and-collect shopping services are not allowed.

Worldwide, Cuba (90.74), Eritrea (89.81), Honduras (87.96) and Lebanon (87.04) also had tougher measures, and Peru had the same score as the UK.

The HSE and the Govt are so incompetent that any bit of a spike, the whole country has to be locked down because the hospitals have hardly any spare capacity.

Advertisement