Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,096 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

VACCINATIONS - Taoiseach has said he expects 82% of adults to have had their first dose by the end of June.
    He said 1.2 million first doses would be administered by the end of March and 1.1 million doses during April, May and June.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Zardoz wrote: »
    Harshest lockdown in the Western World despite being an island nation on the edge of Europe with one of the lowest population densities in Europe and the youngest population in Europe with one third of the population under 25 years of age.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9290029/Britains-coronavirus-lockdown-one-toughest-WORLD-study-claims.html

The HSE and the Govt are so incompetent that any bit of a spike, the whole country has to be locked down because the hospitals have hardly any spare capacity.

One of the weakest health systems in Europe expalins the harshest lockdowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

New vaccine priority list:
    - those aged 16-69 with a medical condition that puts them at very-high risk of severe disease and death will be Cohort 4 and be vaccinated directly after those aged ≥70 and living in the community
    - Cohort 5 will consist of those aged between 65 and 69 whose underlying condition puts them at a high risk of severe disease and death
    - Cohort 6 will comprise those aged 65-69. They will be vaccinated alongside healthcare workers who are not in a patient facing role. Key workers essential to the vaccine programme will also be included in this cohort
    - Cohort 7 will consist of those aged 16-64 who have an underlying condition that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b44b2-minister-donnelly-announces-update-to-vaccine-allocation-strategy/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

- those aged 16-69 with a medical condition that puts them at very-high risk of severe disease and death will be Cohort 4 and be vaccinated directly after those aged ≥70 and living in the community
    - Cohort 5 will consist of those aged between 65 and 69 whose underlying condition puts them at a high risk of severe disease and death
    - Cohort 6 will comprise those aged 65-69. They will be vaccinated alongside healthcare workers who are not in a patient facing role. Key workers essential to the vaccine programme will also be included in this cohort
    - Cohort 7 will consist of those aged 16-64 who have an underlying condition that puts them at high risk of severe disease and death
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b44b2-minister-donnelly-announces-update-to-vaccine-allocation-strategy/

I’m 37 and diabetic with high blood pressure. Am I in 4 or 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If your diabetes and blood pressure are under control, it looks like you're in group 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Stark wrote: »
    If your diabetes and blood pressure are under control, it looks like you're in group 7.

Darn it 😩😩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why didnt the Taoiseach extend the 5km limit to at least 10km.

People are not adhering to it.

3 months in Level 5 is a disgrace. People are literally cracking up.

I have zero faith in the Government in relation to the rollout of vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because Fianna Fáil being Fianna Fáil linked the ban on evictions to the specific distance https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2020/17/eng/enacted/a1720.pdf
    An emergency period, in relation to the tenancy of a dwelling, shall be a period in
    respect of which the Minister for Health makes relevant regulations which impose
    restrictions on travel outside a 5 kilometre radius of a person’s place of residence,
    being the dwelling concerned, during a period specified in the relevant regulations.

mikeym wrote: »
    Why didnt the Taoiseach extend the 5km limit to at least 10km.

People are not adhering to it.

3 months in Level 5 is a disgrace. People are literally cracking up.

I have zero faith in the Government in relation to the rollout of vaccines.
    Because the 5km limit is tied to the law on evictions. Braindead stuff. I love Cork but question who we elect.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

I wonder how will the new cohort 4 work in terms of being called by the GP or to a vaccination centre. I think a relative would fall under the BMI category but I dont think this is something a GP would keep on record do you think?

• Advertisement

Daniel2021 wrote: »
    I wonder how will the new cohort 4 work in terms of being called by the GP or to a vaccination centre. I think a relative would fall under the BMI category but I dont think this is something a GP would keep on record do you think?
    Any of the under 70 age groups will fill a form out online

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    I’m 37 and diabetic with high blood pressure. Am I in 4 or 7

I would think high risk so 4

I am a tad confused as Martin and Donnelly need to be on the same page saying the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Stark wrote: »
    Because Fianna Fáil being Fianna Fáil linked the ban on evictions to the specific distance https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/act/2020/17/eng/enacted/a1720.pdf

That’s got me really worried and sick to my stomach, ?when was this linked to the 5 k?

Cohurt 4 to be vaccinated directly after the over 70s... Over 70s targeted to be completed by mid May iirc.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/government-reveals-updated-timeline-for-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-1155044

Those aged 16-69 with a medical condition that puts them at very-high risk of severe disease and death will be vaccinated as soon as over-70s are vaccinated.

Those conditions include severe immunocompromise, chronic kidney disease, intellectual disability and uncontrolled diabetes.

That group will be followed by those aged between 65-69 year olds with underlying conditions and who are at high risk of severe disease.

All other people aged over 65 will then be vaccinated, alongside healthcare workers in 'non patient facing roles' and workers essential to the vaccine programme.

Once vaccination of over-65s is completed, people aged between 16-64 with a high-risk underlying condition - including severe mental illness - will then be vaccinated.

Health officials are recommending that people with underlying conditions should be given the mRNA vaccines where possible - i.e. the Pfizer and Moderna jabs.

Presumably the folk mentioned as being fully vaccinated by end of June include all of the folk on the various priority lists?
    'by the end of June, up to 82% of adults who can be vaccinated will have received at least one dose and 55% - 60% will be fully vaccinated'

End of June might be a key date so.

I'm reckoning my little staycation in west cork in May is a non runner.

fin12 wrote: »
    That’s got me really worried and sick to my stomach, ?when was this linked to the 5 k?

Discussed in Oireachteas last Oct
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-10-22/37/
    RTA updated in Jan just gone I think but I'm not sure on that.

This is to protect tenants not landlords.... As with all restrictions they are aimed at protecting the vulnerable in society. There are of course huge cumulative efforts required by all of us.

I'm not suggesting level 5 is continuing because of the 5km emergency tenancy clause either. I don't think politics in Ireland works like that TBH.

21 cases in Cork today

56 further COVID19 related deaths are being reported today RIP

574 cases of COVID19 with 21 in Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Seems to me we're seeing a similar pattern to the tail-end of the second lockdown: the numbers tumbled down quickly during the lockdown then seemed to hit a 'floor' and wouldn't go much lower. During the 2nd lockdown that was ~300 cases per day, in this 3rd lockdown it's around 600 cases per day.

Given how fast the numbers shot up once the 2nd lockdown ended, I can't see major easing of restrictions until the vaccination coverage is much much further along (or something else changes dramatically in the infection rate).

George Lee mentioned on the news the majority of folk hospitalised with covid are under 70. The vaccination of under 70s who are vulnerable is really key to when restrictions ease I imagine.

Lady in the news with cystic fibrosis (stable) isn't in an urgent priority group either.

who_me wrote: »
    Seems to me we're seeing a similar pattern to the tail-end of the second lockdown: the numbers tumbled down quickly during the lockdown then seemed to hit a 'floor' and wouldn't go much lower. During the 2nd lockdown that was ~300 cases per day, in this 3rd lockdown it's around 600 cases per day.

Given how fast the numbers shot up once the 2nd lockdown ended, I can't see major easing of restrictions until the vaccination coverage is much much further along (or something else changes dramatically in the infection rate).
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion, cases are dropping every day. We're now at two days in low 4% positivity rate range which hasn't been seen since December.
    I recommend following the swab data: https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

• Advertisement

7 day average is always informative......... fingers crossed it keeps going the right way when schools get back... (from wiki)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Statistics

544847.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

who_me wrote: »

In fairness, the numbers are fairly miniscule at this stage, so any blib will look significant. In cork in the last week they have halved again. In most of the country to be honest it's the same. Going from 20 to 25 cases in a day would be a shocking 25% jump! Or, 5 cases, depending on how you read it.

The last lockdown ended with opening up pubs just before christmas, and letting 58,000 people in from the UK, carrying a more transmissible variant. They also had a massive lot of people take holidays, which left the case monitoring slip behind, giving a false picture of community transmission until they caught up again, 2 weeks later. That huge spike reported in early january was delayed results from holidays if you remember. Basically, took the eye off the ball until it ran rampant again.

If they opened everything except hospitality, kept the airports quiet, and kept an eye on testing, that mistake wouldn't be repeated.

Haven't done a hospital update in a while:

CUH - 20 patients down from 28 yesterday with 11 in ICU, down one.
    Mercy - 13 in hospital, up 2 on yesteday. 3 in ICU, no change.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭leeside11

Haven't done a hospital update in a while:

CUH - 20 patients down from 28 yesterday with 11 in ICU, down one.
    Mercy - 13 in hospital, up 2 on yesteday. 3 in ICU, no change.

Friend of the family died yesterday in CUH ICU so that's why there's a reduction there unfortunately.

Augeo wrote: »
    George Lee mentioned on the news the majority of folk hospitalised with covid are under 70. The vaccination of under 70s who are vulnerable is really key to when restrictions ease I imagine.

Lady in the news with cystic fibrosis (stable) isn't in an urgent priority group either.

16 year old one of today's deceased :( RIP

leeside11 wrote: »
    Friend of the family died yesterday in CUH ICU so that's why there's a reduction there unfortunately.

I'm very sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

pwurple wrote: »
    That huge spike reported in early january was delayed results from holidays if you remember. .

Ah not again. blame all the red herrings. We as a nation doing what we were told we could do and taking the mick out of it caused the spike. Other things contributed to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

pwurple wrote: »
    In fairness, the numbers are fairly miniscule at this stage, so any blib will look significant. In cork in the last week they have halved again. In most of the country to be honest it's the same. Going from 20 to 25 cases in a day would be a shocking 25% jump! Or, 5 cases, depending on how you read it.

The last lockdown ended with opening up pubs just before christmas, and letting 58,000 people in from the UK, carrying a more transmissible variant. They also had a massive lot of people take holidays, which left the case monitoring slip behind, giving a false picture of community transmission until they caught up again, 2 weeks later. That huge spike reported in early january was delayed results from holidays if you remember. Basically, took the eye off the ball until it ran rampant again.

If they opened everything except hospitality, kept the airports quiet, and kept an eye on testing, that mistake wouldn't be repeated.
    They'll have to keep a very close eye on the impact of reopening schools and be prepared to stop or roll back if the numbers start to go the wrong way again. An international study has shown that closing schools and universities had the single biggest impact on the reproductive rate of the CoViD virus. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/371/6531/eabd9338

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    16 year old one of today's deceased :( RIP

So very tragic and it's why the cautious approach is being taken, there are so many at risk from Covid. Folk sh1tting on about the elderly with underlying conditions as if their lives don't matter don't even seem aware of the other vulnerable groups.

The old adage applies here, judge a society by how the most vulnerable are treated, shoulders to the wheel until it's safe to ease restrictions IMO. Good politicians make very unpopular decisions so if we need level 5 until May or June, so be it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Augeo wrote: »
    So very tragic and it's why the cautious approach is being taken, there are so many at risk from Covid. Folk sh1tting on about the elderly with underlying conditions as if their lives don't matter don't even seem aware of the other vulnerable groups.

The old adage applies here, judge a society by how the most vulnerable are treated, shoulders to the wheel until it's safe to ease restrictions IMO. Good politicians make very unpopular decisions so if we need level 5 until May or June, so be it IMO.

I agree.

I got slated for even mentioning the 16 year old in the main covid thread.

There was a 32 year old that died last week. 10 deaths in ICU yesterday and people still don't understand.

Advertisement