Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Regarding beggars on the streets, surely very few people are carrying cash at the moment. I suspect they aren't doing very well.

They're wasting their time, but it's not as if they're really busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭sporina

twas busy down the lee fields this week but found today quieter - how have things been else where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

sporina wrote: »
    twas busy down the lee fields this week but found today quieter - how have things been else where?

Carrigaline park vv busy some ppl certainly not taking this seriously ,groups of teens/ etc hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Busy around my area, Wilton/Togher. Groups of teens around the place. Aunts neighbours were having a bbq with the grandparents, grandchildren, cousins etc all there. Annoying for us that are complying but is very selfish tbh. Parents of those teens hanging around should face the new powers the garda have, since they are responsible for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Busy around my area, Wilton/Togher. Groups of teens around the place. Aunts neighbours were having a bbq with the grandparents, grandchildren, cousins etc all there. Annoying for us that are complying but is very selfish tbh. Parents of those teens hanging around should face the new powers the garda have, since they are responsible for them.

I agree with you. However there are certain elements who feel they are above the laws or have issues with authority etc. And they will be the first to complain if and when the restrictions are extended. As you said stupid selfish behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,113 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Was in the Glen Park yesterday.
    How have I never been in this absolutely beautiful park before?

Anyway, two young women walking together, in front of me. They meet a couple. Slight hesitation, then hugs and kisses all round.
    I was genuinely shocked and disappointed.
    I did proffer a "what the fcuk is wrong with you? ", to them but I had headphones in and didn't hang around for a reaction.

What the fcuk is wrong with people?
    I'm seeing huge amounts of people queuing up in 2s and 3s for shops, too - just grow up and shop alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭cantalach

There seems to be no meaningful enforcement in Cork at the moment. In the last 48 hours I’ve seen:

- Large group of young people hanging around Douglas village Friday evening.
    - People parking up around the Marina and going for walks.
    - Multiple boy racer type cars with 3-4 young fellas in them.
    - A group of 7-8 lads out running along Monaghan Road.
    - Groups of lads playing football in Beaumont Park.
    - A group of teens heading in to Beaumont Quarry.
    - etc., etc, etc.

It’s impossible to believe that none of this has been witnessed by Gardaí.

cantalach wrote: »
    There seems to be no meaningful enforcement in Cork at the moment. In the last 48 hours I’ve seen:

- etc., etc, etc.

Agreed, enforcement has laxed,v noticeable in parts of Carrigaline, especially the park

Was in the Glen Park yesterday.
    How have I never been in this absolutely beautiful park before?

Anyway, two young women walking together, in front of me. They meet a couple. Slight hesitation, then hugs and kisses all round.
    I was genuinely shocked and disappointed.
    I did proffer a "what the fcuk is wrong with you? ", to them but I had headphones in and didn't hang around for a reaction.

What the fcuk is wrong with people?
    I'm seeing huge amounts of people queuing up in 2s and 3s for shops, too - just grow up and shop alone!
    cantalach wrote: »

- etc., etc, etc.

Agreed, enforcement has laxed,v noticeable in parts of Carrigaline, especially the park

And when and if there is a surge of new cases of the virus in Cork and the country in general lots of people will be wondering why. The Gardaí and the authorities need to step up the measures big time.

And when and if there is a surge of new cases of the virus in Cork and the country in general lots of people will be wondering why. The Gardaí and the authorities need to step up the measures big time.

10 days/2weeks time will be very telling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kildare could overtake Cork as 2nd largest (it is closest to Dublin and has nursing homes and care centres), looks like Cork's numbers are staying low which is good

We're slipping back into "shur it'll be grand/shur we'll chance it" territory.

We're slipping back into "shur it'll be grand/shur we'll chance it" territory.

And if there is a surge in new cases any easing of the restrictions will be reversed. And you can be sure those responsible for this will be very qiuick to blame everyone else but themselves.

very qiuick to blame everyone else but themselves.

It is the way of the 21st century. I've forgotten the last time someone in public life put their hands up and sincerely admitted liability.

I've been going to work about 2 days a week, on average.
    As often as not, I've been stopped either going to or returning from work.
    Was stopped this morning leaving the city.
    Checks are still pretty frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

They seem to be sticking mainly to routes out of the city going from the northside through the city to ringaskiddy 5 days a week and a lot the first week,none all last week.

I was stopped coming home today, as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Per RTE, another large scale operation to enforce the restrictions is commencing tomorrow.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0427/1135064-garda-policing-plan-covid-19/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

They seem to have the same checkpoints every day. Every morning there is one on slip road from pouldaduff towards the kinsale road roundabout; Douglas road and lower glanmire road. Interestingly there is a garda motor bike eastbound just over the kinsale road roundabout with what I thought initially was a speed gun but it turned out to be a device for car reg recognition which flags up whether a vehicle has no tax, insurance etc.
    On a side note I think we are over the worst of it and it is mainly confined to nursing homes. All they need to do now is to ensure all healthcare staff wear appropriate ppe when treating clients in the community and they should ease the 2km restrictions.

Kildare now has more cases then Cork. 1127 in Kildare, 1125 in Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm getting the impression from various media posts/articles etc that any relaxation from next Tue will be very small.

I'm not holding my breath for any meaningful let-up. Frustrating, but if it needs to be done...it needs to be done.

I also notice a more general tendency to moan about the restrictions which is disappointing.

I'd rather be bored than on a ventilator.

blindsider wrote: »
    I'm getting the impression from various media posts/articles etc that any relaxation from next Tue will be very small.

I'm not holding my breath for any meaningful let-up. Frustrating, but if it needs to be done...it needs to be done.

I also notice a more general tendency to moan about the restrictions which is disappointing.

I'd rather be bored than on a ventilator.

Yes. The numbers of new cases and people needing ICU treatment are still too high and need to drop a lot more before any large scale lifting of current restrictions is justified. There may be some small scale changes announced after next week such as slightly widening the 2km exercise limit and maybe some limited reopening of DIY/hardware stores, garden centres etc. but that will be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,187 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There seems to be more food outlets and restaurants opening back up for takeaways

The nursing homes here seems to be good but not community town hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheGoatOne

Does anyone have any experience with moving house with the current restrictions? Due to move in the next few days and a bit worried that it wouldn't be deemed 'essential travel' with all the extra checkpoints that will be around. Thanks lads

I very much doubt there will be any let up of 2km rule, especially in good weather. There would be massive tail backs of eegits to all the usual beach spots.

This will take even longer if people throw caution to the wind and do their own thing.
    All you are being asked is to follow the rules, not fight in a war.

I very much doubt there will be any let up of 2km rule, especially in good weather. There would be massive tail backs of eegits to all the usual beach spots.

This will take even longer if people throw caution to the wind and do their own thing.
    All you are being asked is to follow the rules, not fight in a war.

In a way it is a war. Humanity against the Covid -19 virus. Who will win? Only time will tell but like most conventional wars it will be a long gruelling campaign.

In a way it is a war. Humanity against the Covid -19 virus. Who will win? Only time will tell but like most conventional wars it will be a long gruelling campaign.

You know what I mean.
    Most of us have to put up with inconvenience, we are not all working in emergency services or a hospital. It's boring and head wrecking but we will live..

1126 cases now up to the 26th. Only an increase of one case on yesterday. Interesting

Yes. The numbers of new cases and people needing ICU treatment are still too high and need to drop a lot more before any large scale lifting of current restrictions is justified. There may be some small scale changes announced after next week such as slightly widening the 2km exercise limit and maybe some limited reopening of DIY/hardware stores, garden centres etc. but that will be it.

5km on the cards I read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭.red.

5km on the cards I read

There isn't much point in that. It just gives the people who've ignored the 2km and social distancing rules more leeway to do what they want.
    Realistically you can get just as much exercise within 2km of a house as you can 5km, unless your training for a marathon.
    Myself and the kids are doing an 11km loop on the bikes most days and it's all within our 2km radius and we do t travel the same road twice.

Advertisement