Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They are getting a pay rise but some I think are not taking it

I'll be honest I felt somewhat more confident with Leo and Harris in charge

They need a dedicated team to over see the vaccine roll out, ministers and medical professionals etc.,

It must be frustrating for businesses some nearly closed for a year now
    100% agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Would she even get any business? No point in getting the beauty makeover to just sit at home!

No point in going in only to get arrested and fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

You’re like Fox News with some of the nonsense you post.

I think u mean to say RTE NEWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Murder on RedFM this morning due to this..

https://twitter.com/neilredfm/status/1364872747566964742?s=21

I actually would like to book an appointment there but could be mid way through my haircut when the guards raid the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not sure how you came to that conclusion, cases are dropping every day. We're now at two days in low 4% positivity rate range which hasn't been seen since December.
    I recommend following the swab data: https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

The general trend is downwards (thankfully!) though the rate of decrease seems to be diminishing. Looking at Augeo's graph from yesterday - the Covid numbers were largely flat through November around the 250-300 mark. I'm wondering if we're seeing the same pattern here where the rate of decrease is diminishing again. (With the obvious disclaimer that simply looking at raw case numbers could be misleading, without looking at the number of tests, whether or not contact tracing is being done, the positivity rate etc.)

Anyhow, lots of positive indicators there too. We're now vaccinating at a faster rate than Denmark - which is good considering they're the nation we've been holding up as the "Why aren't we as good as Denmark??" standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭Stark

But Denmark bought extra freezers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

who_me wrote: »
    The general trend is downwards (thankfully!) though the rate of decrease seems to be diminishing. Looking at Augeo's graph from yesterday - the Covid numbers were largely flat through November around the 250-300 mark. I'm wondering if we're seeing the same pattern here where the rate of decrease is diminishing again. (With the obvious disclaimer that simply looking at raw case numbers could be misleading, without looking at the number of tests, whether or not contact tracing is being done, the positivity rate etc.)

Anyhow, lots of positive indicators there too. We're now vaccinating at a faster rate than Denmark - which is good considering they're the nation we've been holding up as the "Why aren't we as good as Denmark??" standard.

We're doing fine, could be better, but fine. Denmark aim to have everyone vaccinated by end of June. The seeming modernisation and digitisation of their system there seems like it will be overall more efficient than here.

Not a fan of pitting countries against each other though or even comparisons, end up sounding like the Daily Mail creeps otherwise. The only vaccines that will change my and everyone else's life here are the ones in Ireland.

24 cases in Cork today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork incidence down to 80.9 (national is 226.1, Offaly highest at 402.8, Kerry lowest at 36.6).

This is the level that Kildare/Laois/Offaly were moved to (what is now) Level 3 last summer to stem their outbreaks, which worked at the time.

Vaccines having a significant impact already - really great news

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1364999703356706817?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

24 cases in Cork today

I think I'll check anyway just in case...! Fox News :) (fair play to whoever posted that about 5 pages back) :)

You've ruined this thread.

Used to be handy to hear about local outbreaks etc.

Give us all a break and post in the general Covid thread willya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,095 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork incidence down to 80.9 (national is 226.1, Offaly highest at 402.8, Kerry lowest at 36.6).

This is the level that Kildare/Laois/Offaly were moved to (what is now) Level 3 last summer to stem their outbreaks, which worked at the time.

How is Offaly so high again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Thread closed to let people cool their jets. When\if reopened chat is to be 100% related to COVID in Cork. Any other chat will incur a threadban
    There is a COVID forum if you really need to discuss it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Alright, let's stay on topic and be civil to one another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,095 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ACE what is the LEA please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My brother went for a walk to the Marina with his girlfriend this afternoon, which was within the 5k limit for them both.

They were stopped at the entrance and asked for their addresses, and told they should really have gone for a walk somewhere closer to home even though it was within the limit.
    They were then warned to keep their 2m distance from each other because they aren’t from the same household and advised to put masks on even though it was outdoors because the area was crowded.
    He said he felt the Garda was quite abrupt in her manner and almost hostile towards them.

Anyway they were waved on, and were halfway along their walk when the same Garda started barking at them that they weren’t 2m apart and that if they aren’t capable of distancing they’d have to walk in single file.
    They also saw her dispersing small groups of 2/3 people who had stopped to talk to each other, even though they were safely distanced.
    They ended up just turning around and going for a walk in town where they got no hassle.

I have the upmost respect for the Gardaí, I don’t envy their job during this pandemic, particularly after seeing the videos of the idiotic protesters in Dublin today.
    But hassling innocent people who are simply trying to go for a walk and barking at them to keep 2m away from their partner is an absolute joke, and a complete abuse of power in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

738 nationally, 36 of which in Cork.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1365714315211374593

Cork remains second to last in terms of incidence, at 68.9 per 100,000. Nationally, it's over 200/100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My brother went for a walk to the Marina with his girlfriend this afternoon, which was within the 5k limit for them both.

They were stopped at the entrance and asked for their addresses, and told they should really have gone for a walk somewhere closer to home even though it was within the limit.
    They were then warned to keep their 2m distance from each other because they aren’t from the same household and advised to put masks on even though it was outdoors because the area was crowded.
    He said he felt the Garda was quite abrupt in her manner and almost hostile towards them.

Anyway they were waved on, and were halfway along their walk when the same Garda started barking at them that they weren’t 2m apart and that if they aren’t capable of distancing they’d have to walk in single file.
    They also saw her dispersing small groups of 2/3 people who had stopped to talk to each other, even though they were safely distanced.
    They ended up just turning around and going for a walk in town where they got no hassle.

I have the upmost respect for the Gardaí, I don’t envy their job during this pandemic, particularly after seeing the videos of the idiotic protesters in Dublin today.
    But hassling innocent people who are simply trying to go for a walk and barking at them to keep 2m away from their partner is an absolute joke, and a complete abuse of power in my opinion.

The marina is packed though at the moment.

I live nearby, and genuinely feel we cannot go there anymore with our kids. It is jammed, and I know heaps of our neighbours are complaining.

It's local residents getting pissed off about the whole city walking past their front door. That causes complaints, justified in my opinion, and fair play to the garda I for acting on it. I'm genuinely happy to read this.

I've seen people I know from cobh, carrigtwohill, carrigaline all down here.

Look, I get it, everyone is looking for a change of scenery, and the marina is nice. but it's just gone a bit nuts here. We only go out after dark now, or in wellies in the pissing rain.

pwurple wrote: »

I live nearby, and genuinely feel we cannot go there anymore with our kids. It is jammed, and I know heaps of our neighbours are complaining.

My Dad enjoys a walk around The Marina, The Lough is on his doorstep but he doesn't feel it's safe due to the volume of people there.
    I feel your pain and he does too, I joined him a few times and he goes there at off peak times I suppose. Apologies though :)

I suppose AGS noticed the overcrowding from their other checkpoint across the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It's local residents getting pissed off about the whole city walking past their front door. That causes complaints, justified in my opinion, and fair play to the garda I for acting on it. I'm genuinely happy to read this.

Look, I get it, everyone is looking for a change of scenery, and the marina is nice. but it's just gone a bit nuts here. We only go out after dark now, or in wellies in the pissing rain.

I honestly have no issue with them stopping people from outside the 5k from accessing it, I live near the Lough and understand how frustrating it can be as a local when the place is packed. But they are both well within the 5k so were breaking no rules on that front - they wouldn’t have been allowed in in the first place if they weren’t within the allowed distance.

What I take issue with is them barking at people to keep 2m away from their girlfriends and telling them to walk single file, and forcibly stopping people who know each other from saying hello and having a quick chat at a safe distance.

That is an abuse of power in my opinion, and seriously overstepping the mark. I don’t think there is anything positive about Gardaí interfering in the business of innocent people trying to get a bit of fresh air, and I don’t see why anyone would be happy to read about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like the beaches last year, every eegit feels entitled to walk there because they always walked there or planned to walk there without a back up plan rather than lose face, turn around and try somewhere else.

If I was your brother I would make a complaint...
    https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/governance-and-accountability/internal-affairs/

Members of the public who are directly affected by, or witness, misconduct by a member of An Garda Síochána may make a complaint. Complaints may also be made on behalf of that member of the public, by any other person, if the member of public on whose behalf the complaint is being made consents, in writing or orally, to it being made.

Complaints may be made directly to GSOC (contact details are available at www.gardaombudsman.ie) or by stating, giving or sending it:

a) to the Garda Commissioner;

b) to any member of An Garda Síochána at a Garda Síochána Station;

c) to a member at, or above, the rank of Chief Superintendent at a place other than a Garda Síochána station.

The legislation provides that all complaints made against a member of An Garda Síochána are referred to the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission for consideration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Augeo wrote: »
    My Dad enjoys a walk around The Marina, The Lough is on his doorstep but he doesn't feel it's safe due to the volume of people there.
    I feel your pain and he does too, I joined him a few times and he goes there at off peak times I suppose. Apologies though :)

I suppose AGS noticed the overcrowding from their other checkpoint across the river.

Lough is closest to me and I go after dark due to the amount out during the day. Its way too packed unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Used be my goto place for a jog, it's within my 5k from Shandon but don't go there any more as way too crowded making it tricky to run along. Lee fields in the same most of the time (when it's not flooded!) so stick to the Straight Road pretty much. The crowds in Fitzgerald park today especially by the playground were a sight to behold as I had a walk thought there this afternoon.

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 09/02/2021 to 22/02/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 59 (-9), LEA rate per 100k pop: 158 (-24)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 24 (-11), LEA rate per 100k pop: 107 (-49)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (-16), LEA rate per 100k pop: 77 (-46)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 35 (-13), LEA rate per 100k pop: 103 (-37)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 34 (-44), LEA rate per 100k pop: 81 (-104)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 37 (-29), LEA rate per 100k pop: 92 (-72)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 43 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: 111.2 (-)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 45 (-27), LEA rate per 100k pop: 105 (-63)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 24 (-25), LEA rate per 100k pop: 51 (-53)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 22 (-29), LEA rate per 100k pop: 60 (-80)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 22 (-31), LEA rate per 100k pop: 88 (-124)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 22 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 60 (-8)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 58 (-28), LEA rate per 100k pop: 199 (-96)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 24 (-33), LEA rate per 100k pop: 53 (-73)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (-25), LEA rate per 100k pop: 66 (-83)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

The Marina intersects too many peoples 5km circles for the Gards to win here.

Last 15 days Cork cases.... From 13th Feb to today....

34, 28, 29, 20, 46, 31, 28, 38, 13, 19, 23, 21, 24, 20 & 36
    Average is 27.

There must be large swathes of the county with effectively no Covid....

User142 wrote: »
    The Marina intersects too many peoples 5km circles for the Gards to win here.

That's why NPHET would prefer a 2km rule I imagine.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    Last 15 days Cork cases.... From 13th Feb to today....

34, 28, 29, 20, 46, 31, 28, 38, 13, 19, 23, 21, 24, 20 & 36
    Average is 27.

There must be large swathes of the county with effectively no Covid....
    Looks like three LEAs in particular from the last week anyway, Mallow, Bandon-Kinsale and Cork City South Central with the majority of the cases

Advertisement