Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

User142 wrote: »
    The Marina intersects too many peoples 5km circles for the Gards to win here.

I think that if all the people from outside 5k of the marina were removed, there wouldn't often be to much of a problem with crowds there.

I'm all for following the rules but the behaviour of that Garda does seem rather over the top.
    Doesn't actually help anyone, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

There's no big problem with large amounts of people in an outdoor setting as long as people are being responsible.

If more parts of the city were not ruined by cars then people would have more options.

One thing that should be stopped is people driving to their "Within 5km location". It's ridiculous seeing cars parked all over grass and footpaths while people are trying to remain socially distant.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, good point ... Wondering if that brother drove or walked here...
    seriously, if someone thinks being told to stay 2m apart is police overstepping, you may be the most sheltered human alive ;)

Like I said, I get it, I am fed up of being cooped up too. But the marina in within 5km of about 1/4 million people. Some days it feels like every single one of them is here!

Doesn't it really highlight our woeful lack of public spaces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

pwurple wrote: »
    Yes, good point ... Wondering if that brother drove or walked here...
    seriously, if someone thinks being told to stay 2m apart is police overstepping, you may be the most sheltered human alive ;)

Like I said, I get it, I am fed up of being cooped up too. But the marina in within 5km of about 1/4 million people. Some days it feels like every single one of them is here!

Doesn't it really highlight our woeful lack of public spaces.

It highlights that the biggest crisis we are currently facing is not Covid, it's overpopulation, there is no appetite to face this YET , because most countries are based on a pyramid scheme of having more young people to work to support the pensions etc, it will have to be addressed before the end of this decade though, it will get more difficult as more voters will middle aged so won't want it addressed though.

• Advertisement

Cork is far from overpopulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Mardyke wrote: »
    There's no big problem with large amounts of people in an outdoor setting as long as people are being responsible.

If more parts of the city were not ruined by cars then people would have more options.

One thing that should be stopped is people driving to their "Within 5km location". It's ridiculous seeing cars parked all over grass and footpaths while people are trying to remain socially distant.

Thing is you think of Tramore Valley Park and you can't walk there really. It would also likely take a lot of the marina walkers as would be in that area if it was better open.

We really have just feck all areas to walk really. Lough, marina, Lew fields and Fitzgeralds park are probably the main 4 for anyone living in the city or immediate suburbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

How about opening Mahon golf course to walkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Cape Clear wrote: »
    How about opening Mahon golf course to walkers?

After watching a few city council councillor meetings regarding local parks and covid they'd sooner convert it into a car park than cede an inch to pedestrian leisure.

Not sure if it's open or not, but if not they should open the track at the mardyke. Would at least give somewhere for runners to go and it'd be within 5k of most in the city area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

titan18 wrote: »
    Thing is you think of Tramore Valley Park and you can't walk there really. It would also likely take a lot of the marina walkers as would be in that area if it was better open.

We really have just feck all areas to walk really. Lough, marina, Lew fields and Fitzgeralds park are probably the main 4 for anyone living in the city or immediate suburbs

Old railway from Blackrock to Passage West, Garryduff woods, etc . There are more, but yes, lack of "nice" places to walk alright.

This will be an unpopular opinion, but I don't actually feel opening Half Moon Lane will help a lot....going to edit myself here as way off topic for this thread. Will post in the Tramore Park thread instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

You’ve probably up to 200,000 people living within 5km of the Marina or the Lough and with relatively little other green space in many of their 5k radii. It’s not as if you’re going to go from somewhere with much better walking options to walk up and down for a view of Tivoli. For a lot of the city there aren’t really many options with the 5k imposed. It’s basically the Marina, Fitzgerald’s Park & the Lee Fields or the Lough. There are a few more obscure river walks, but that’s about it.

It seems a bit of a waste of resources and will just annoy city dwellers trying to take a walk. Those handful of venues are just inevitably going to be busy.

I’m deliberately avoiding those kinds of busy areas as they’re just too packed to be comfortable. There are plenty of less beaten tracks around the city that can make for a nice walk, but they’re urban streets and definitely not particularly green.

Augeo wrote: »
    Cork is far from overpopulated.

How do you measure overpopulation,3 times the population of 100 years ago, acres used of land unavailable due to road network etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Not sure if it's open or not, but if not they should open the track at the mardyke. Would at least give somewhere for runners to go and it'd be within 5k of most in the city area.

It's not as the Mardyke Arena is closed. But most people have zero interest running round a 400m track in any case, when it was open I went there at most once a week around lunchtime & generally had it all to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

It’s not overpopulated but it has a very dense city centre by Irish standards and hardly any green spaces in the city itself.

That’s really been problematic for me during the lockdowns. There just aren’t any significant parks really. The Tramore Valley project is a big improvement but we really don’t have a lot of urban green space at all compared to even hugely populated cities. It’s because of the river delta location of the city though. It’s a bit like a Dutch city, and similarly it should make much more use of any bits of public space it has - soften up the quaysides with a lot more greenery and treat them like parkland for example.

If COVID leaves us with any legacy it should be one of actually learning how to make our city more liveable and seeing it as a space we should be using much more than just as a shopping centre.

It has many of the ingredients of a very pleasant small European city, it just tends to not realise they’re in the cupboard and seems to keep serving up the same bland high street shopping experience and little else.

opus wrote: »
    It's not as the Mardyke Arena is closed. But most people have zero interest running round a 400m track in any case, when it was open I went there at most once a week around lunchtime & generally had it all to myself.

True, but it's similar (bar a shorter length) than doing laps of the Lough like I see loads do but you wouldn't be trying to avoid people and dogs all over the place. If I was in shape to run, I'd go there over trying the Lough at any time between 10 and 6 atm

It highlights that the biggest crisis we are currently facing is not Covid, it's overpopulation, there is no appetite to face this YET , because most countries are based on a pyramid scheme of having more young people to work to support the pensions etc, it will have to be addressed before the end of this decade though, it will get more difficult as more voters will middle aged so won't want it addressed though.
    How do you measure overpopulation,3 times the population of 100 years ago, acres used of land unavailable due to road network etc

I'd sooner not be drawn into an off topic chat TBH.

True, but it's similar (bar a shorter length) than doing laps of the Lough like I see loads do but you wouldn't be trying to avoid people and dogs all over the place. If I was in shape to run, I'd go there over trying the Lough at any time between 10 and 6 atm

if folk started doing laps of a 400m running track it'd get busy very quickly. The surface would get ruined quite quickly also.

If iirc The Lough is 6 furlong around.... Approx 1200m.

Augeo wrote: »
    I'd sooner not be drawn into an off topic chat TBH.

OK, your second comment on it as you don't have an answer I presume.

OK, your second comment on it as you don't have an answer I presume.

Please don't start this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Took a walk into town earlier on and it's so sad to see all the empty pubs on a lovely spring day. It's like they've all been abandoned. Things will never be the same again.

Took a walk into town earlier on and it's so sad to see all the empty pubs on a lovely spring day. It's like they've all been abandoned. Things will never be the same again.

Ah, they will.
    Shame to see the Liberty go though, it hadn't even been opened that long.

I guess we really won't know the extent of closures for a while.
    It's awful really :(

Ah it will. We gotta keep believing it will go back to normal eventually. I don't think it will be this summer but it will be very shortly afterwards. Maybe even next year, but I do firmly believe science will get us over this eventually. It is tough but gotta keep going and believing things will return to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,095 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The Roundy is also gone, up for sale

Just the property, the business is not affected.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057506543/290

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Looks like three LEAs in particular from the last week anyway, Mallow, Bandon-Kinsale and Cork City South Central with the majority of the cases

Any reason for the cases in Mallow being so high ?
    I know a guy working in South Doc there and he said that they had hardly any referrals in the last month, he seemed shocked Mallows levels were so high.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Ludo wrote: »
    Ah it will. We gotta keep believing it will go back to normal eventually. I don't think it will be this summer but it will be very shortly afterwards. Maybe even next year, but I do firmly believe science will get us over this eventually. It is tough but gotta keep going and believing things will return to normal.

It was depressing seeing the lovely weather today and places closed. And second spring in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,095 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Just the property, the business is not affected.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057506543/290

How does that work :confused: licence going with the building :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How does that work :confused: licence going with the building :o

Tenant not affected sale. Frank Bradley has the liquor license himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Zardoz wrote: »
    Any reason for the cases in Mallow being so high ?
    I know a guy working in South Doc there and he said that they had hardly any referrals in the last month, he seemed shocked Mallows levels were so high.
    Haven't a clue, it's been among the highest now for past 3 weeks. Maybe a workplace outbreak there? Mass testing would be referred through the HSE and not through GPs or OOH services

Advertisement