Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,095 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zardoz wrote: »
    Any reason for the cases in Mallow being so high ?
    I know a guy working in South Doc there and he said that they had hardly any referrals in the last month, he seemed shocked Mallows levels were so high.

Could it be a meat plant or dairy plant, I assume Bandon is high from the meat plant still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,440 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

User142 wrote: »
    After watching a few city council councillor meetings regarding local parks and covid they'd sooner convert it into a car park than cede an inch to pedestrian leisure.

If I were over the golf course, I wouldn't dream of letting the great unwashed traipse all over it.

They've left a trail of litter, dog sh1t and destruction over every place they're allowed walk and expect others to pick up after them. People in this country have fvck all respect for their surroundings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sad to see any business close but from the moment that so called Liberty bar opened, it was only a matter of time before it closed. Was always empty whenever I passed.
    It just had nothing to offer. I'm surprised it lasted a long as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Sad to see any business close but from the moment that so called Liberty bar opened, it was only a matter of time before it closed.
    It just had nothing to offer. I'm surprised it lasted a long as it did.

nice one thanks for your input

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Any time I walked by on a night out either I got a dodgy vibe from it or it looked closed, it felt like you had to be a member to go in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sunshine has everyone out and about. City centre is very busy with people walking around in the sun, today.
    Part of living in the city centre is accepting volumes of people about the place, even in a pandemic. The same could be said for the likes of the marina and the lough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Back in after a wonderful walk up around Sunday's Well and then back down via Mardyke / Fitxgerald's Park. The sunshine really makes a difference, especially after the last couple of weeks being horrid weather. Expected the park to be jammers, and it was, so we bypassed that and stayed on the road. There were about 10 (if not more) cars all queuing up for parking spaces.

I really wish that stretch of road would be pedestrianised sometimes. It's busy enough (not even considering COVID, distance and whatever) and then to have cars coming both ways. I'm surprised any / more accidents don't happen there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,095 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sunshine has everyone out and about. City centre is very busy with people walking around in the sun, today.
    Part of living in the city centre is accepting volumes of people about the place, even in a pandemic. The same could be said for the likes of the marina and the lough.

It really is a lovely, let's enjoy while we can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

16 cases in Cork today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Things will go back to normal or some kind of new normal with businesses reopening again.

It’ll be different. We might be doing a lot more outdoor dining and drinking for the foreseeable future, but would that necessarily be a bad thing?

I’ve a feeling we may actually come out of this with a more outdoorsy society & maybe a different approach to how we see cities and towns - not just as retail spaces with pubs.

Also we aren’t likely to be rushing off on foreign holidays for another 12 months or so and that money will get spent locally, which might be a big positive.

Also order a few take aways from restaurants that are still open at the moment. They really need the business.

• Advertisement

Things will go back to normal or some kind of new normal with businesses reopening again.

It’ll be different. We might be doing a lot more outdoor dining and drinking for the foreseeable future, but would that necessarily be a bad thing?

I’ve a feeling we may actually come out of this with a more outdoorsy society & maybe a different approach to how we see cities and towns - not just as retail spaces with pubs.

Also we aren’t likely to be rushing off on foreign holidays for another 12 months or so and that money will get spent locally, which might be a big positive.

Also order a few take aways from restaurants that are still open at the moment. They really need the business.

I wish Cork City was more “outdoorsy” to be honest. The bars and restaurants outdoor seating in places like Princes Street are fantastic, it’s very modern European

I wish Cork City was more “outdoorsy” to be honest. The bars and restaurants outdoor seating in places like Princes Street are fantastic, it’s very modern European

I think that’s where we are headed though. We can’t realistically just expect to wake up one morning with no coronavirus risks. It’ll get better, but gradually.

Outdoor seating might be the legacy of this era.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'd love to see more outdoor dining. It will be a long time before I'll eat indoors again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Be right back

16 cases in Cork today

Fantastic low numbers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'd love to see more outdoor dining. It will be a long time before I'll eat indoors again.

Just not practical though, long term, with the Irish climate. It is very rarely warm enough to make it pleasant to eat outside. Cold, wet and windy doesn't go well with keeping food and people warm eating outside. Tis fine for drinks only but not really for a proper meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Hate that term new normal , like trying to make people accept this is ok to live like this because it’s not and after a year enough is enough. I’m done with the 5 km anyway .

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

This is where Cork city has a major concern for the future. The city is neglected, it is after falling years behind in terms of modern living...

It is a city being run into the ground by unqualified people with agendas that do not necessarily align with the best interests of the citizens of Cork.

It's a major concern that cars are still dominant in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

fin12 wrote: »
    Hate that term new normal , like trying to make people accept this is ok to live like this because it’s not and after a year enough is enough. I’m done with the 5 km anyway .

Alot are, looking at Facebook there it's full of people posting photos, videos from alot farther away than 5k,alot visiting family.

The more folk that don't follow the restrictions the greater chance of numbers increasing again. Hopefully enough folk stick with it until the over 70s and other at risk folk are vaccinated. I'm confident the majority will keep their shoulder to the wheel.
    Up Cork :)

Augeo wrote: »
    The more folk that don't follow the restrictions the greater chance of numbers increasing again. Hopefully enough folk stick with it until the over 70s and other at risk folk are vaccinated. I'm confident the majority will keep their shoulder to the wheel.
    Up Cork :)

Not so sure about that. I think there's a protest planned in Cork for next week.

For anyone even thinking of going, for the love of god, please don't. It's a real insult at protecting others.

• Advertisement

Not so sure about that. I think there's a protest planned in Cork for next week.

For anyone even thinking of going, for the love of god, please don't. It's a real insult at protecting others.
    I don't have an issue with people protesting if it stays peaceful. Sure we had all the BLM marches a few months back and it caused no problems. We’re lucky in Cork not to have as many loons as up the country so I think it should be okay!

I don't have an issue with people protesting if it stays peaceful. Sure we had all the BLM marches a few months back and it caused no problems. We’re lucky in Cork not to have as many loons as up the country so I think it should be okay!

We're not meant to be gathering. BLM protests were a different time, we had low enough numbers back then. So I don't agree with the protests, it's putting us all at risk.

We're not meant to be gathering. BLM protests were a different time, we had low enough numbers back then. So I don't agree with the protests, it's putting us all at risk.

I completely disagree, everyone has a right to protest, but not gonna get into it

The 5km and all that stuff, yeah but it's not like we can just snap our fingers and make the virus go away. It's going to be hanging around for a while and hopefully the vaccines will deal with it, but who knows.

We're not going back to 2019, but it will get way better.

Hopefully things are end up back to some semblance of normality soon, but I mean it's like trying to get angry about a tidal wave or something. It's just something we're going to have to deal with. There' are least worst options, but there's not easy solution to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

There's plenty of loons in Cork tbf, there'll be still a good amount of people there if it goes ahead. Hopefully will not be as big, not that it was that big anyway, as Dublins due to sheer population density.

Corholio wrote: »
    There's plenty of loons in Cork tbf, there'll be still a good amount of people there if it goes ahead. Hopefully will not be as big, not that it was that big anyway, as Dublins due to sheer population density.

Won't be going anywhere near the city centre if that's going on anyway. Feel a bit sorry for those businesses like restaurants and cafes that are doing take aways and so on tho.

Pm please the details , I want to go.

Where can I find info on this, is on Saturday?

I don't know anything about the protest other than there's one planned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

'Look at me fellow boardsies, for I have big balls'

If you knew who organises these I wonder would you still go? Or is it all about the gubberment?

Advertisement