Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why are they protesting, lockdown restrictions, mask wearing etc.,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,687 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I think there is a combination of people involved to be honest. You've your real anti vaccers, anti government, dope young lands trying to be hard men, those who think it's all a false and then there are some who believe in Coivid and mask wearing but they think that we should get back to some type of normality without all these restrictions.
    However from what I know they are just lads who like trouble, drama, giving out, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,439 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because they're fvckin eegits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think protests are crazy, especially in a pandemic. And the injuries to gardai. :mad:

But, the public opinion is shifting and the mob will need to be managed in some way. There is an underlying feeling of unfairness there, where the restrictions don't make sense for some cases. This will only be tolerated for a short period of time, and now we are in March, so it's bubbling up.

Two examples I know of.
    Individual sports, like outdoor tennis, or singles rowing. Realistically both are low risk, but the clubs cannot open to let people use a court or slip.

Construction. Huge sites for public projects are open, with PPE. Smaller construction jobs, like private houses are closed. That doesn't make sense for a lot of those smaller operators, how a small site would be higher risk than a big busy site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Corholio wrote: »
    'Look at me fellow boardsies, for I have big balls'

If you knew who organises these I wonder would you still go? Or is it all about the gubberment?

Sorry I don’t know anything about it , that’s why I’m asking for the info on it. What’s ur problem? Why can’t I easily find out what time a protest is starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This had been brought up in the thread previously, wherein people were noting Dunnes Stores across the city were still operating click & collect services.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dunnes-stores-accused-of-flouting-covid-rules-with-click-and-collect-1.4497583
    Duncan Graham, chief executive of Retail Excellence, said he had been inundated with queries from members in recent days complaining that the retailer was “blatantly flouting the rules”.

He said he had made multiple representations to the department about the issue but had heard nothing concrete back.

Mr Graham said a large retailer doing so was “unfair” on others who had discontinued click-and-collect services, in line with the latest regulations, while Dunnes appeared to have “ramped up its click-and-collect” service.

Dunnes Stores did not respond to queries, while a spokesman for the department declined to say if it had any plans to intervene.

From the article, it suggests Dunnes operated a reserve and collect, as opposed to a click and collect.

Meanwhile, Dublin TD Neale Richmond wants the protest planned for Saturday to be stopped. https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-covid-protest-must-be-stopped-neale-richmond-1088690.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Not so sure about that. I think there's a protest planned in Cork for next week.

For anyone even thinking of going, for the love of god, please don't. It's a real insult at protecting others.

Scheduled for Saturday at 2pm outside Brown Thomas

There’s an awful lot of people booking trips to Newry and Belfast in July and Aug from what I see online. Really wonder how long they think having completely different restrictions on the same island will work. Can go to Newry and drink in a pub and go to a concert then followed up by a night club all while interacting with hundreds of people indoors and then travel back here and get told wear your mask and not meet more then 20 indoors Or something similar? Very hard to see them stop that

fin12 wrote: »
    Pm please the details , I want to go.
    fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry I don’t know anything about it , that’s why I’m asking for the info on it. What’s ur problem? Why can’t I easily find out what time a protest is starting?

Why would you want to go to a protest you know nothing about?
    Regarding the bolded piece.......

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/far-right-group-who-willing-19933159

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-covid-protest-must-be-stopped-neale-richmond-1088690.html
    "“Dangerous conspiracy theorists preyed on the genuine frustrations of many to recklessly bring hundreds of people out in protest against necessary public health measures aimed to fuel the spread of a killer virus."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40235468.html
    ""So whatever needs to be done, so whatever can be done, to ensure if there is a protest, that it can be dealt with quickly and efficiently, without putting anybody at risk, and I mean both for the people demonstrating and the gardaí."

Still want to go Fin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Not sure why you're telling me. I'm not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There’s an awful lot of people booking trips to Newry and Belfast in July and Aug from what I see online. Really wonder how long they think having completely different restrictions on the same island will work. Can go to Newry and drink in a pub and go to a concert then followed up by a night club all while interacting with hundreds of people indoors and then travel back here and get told wear your mask and not meet more then 20 indoors Or something similar? Very hard to see them stop that

It certainly won't work when you've a difference of about 6 weeks in the rollout of the vaccines. The two jurisdictions could be in quite different situations until sometime in June, as the vaccine programme continues to ramp up here.

Realistically speaking, we will have a hell of a lot of vaccines done by then, and things will have evened out. So, hopefully we'll be looking at some kind of normality by then if the virus doesn't pull any stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

There’s an awful lot of people booking trips to Newry and Belfast in July and Aug from what I see online.

Really? Where do you see this online?

Most folk up there will be vaccinated by then so if NI don't object to loads of unvaccinated ROI folk heading up there I don't really see the problem tbh.
    If NI don't want to have ROI tourists I'm sure they'll implement whatever restrictions etc they require.

Diarmaid Ó Cadhla, secretary of the People's Convention, which is organising the event....

'Nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Fianna Fáil Councillor Colm Kelleher joins in to appeal to people not to attend.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40235630.html

Naturally enough, Gardaí are monitory social media.
    “An Garda Siochana are assessing the information circulating on social media regarding a planned protest in Cork City this weekend and will be putting appropriate operational plans in place if required. An Garda Síochana will be taking all steps necessary to police such an event and will be out in strength.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Diarmaid Ó Cadhla, secretary of the People's Convention, which is organising the event....

'Nuff said.

That fella? Is he the eejit who graffiied over the street names on victoria road?

pwurple wrote: »
    That fella? Is he the eejit who graffiied over the street names on victoria road?

The very same painter and decorator.

Says a lot about this looney tunes event.

The very same painter and decorator.

Says a lot about this looney tunes event.

"l am not going to have my fundamental Human Rights denied by Government. They have LIED to us, destroyed Public Healthcare & Robbed us blind! The have enriched the biggest Banks & Corporations, landlords & developers, criminals & drug barons (Big Pharma) off our backs."

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭deeperlearning

Last week, the South African variant of the disease was detected in Northern Ireland. The bulk of those vaccinated in Northern Ireland received the AstraZeneca vaccine and the AZ vaccine was shown in a trial to be about 10% effective against the SA variant.

An AstraZeneca vaccine effective against the South African variant won't be available until the autumn. The chances of indoor concerts and nightclubs being open before then are slim to none. I suspect the measures in Northern Ireland next summer will be similar to last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Last week, the South African variant of the disease was detected in Northern Ireland. The bulk of those vaccinated in Northern Ireland received the AstraZeneca vaccine and the AZ vaccine was shown in a trial to be about 10% effective against the SA variant.

An AstraZeneca vaccine effective against the South African variant won't be available until the autumn. The chances of indoor concerts and nightclubs being open before then are slim to none. I suspect the measures in Northern Ireland next summer will be similar to last summer.
    I recommend reading up on the AZ vaccine because you couldn't be more wrong

edit:
    heres the pre-print for the SA claims: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.10.21251247v1.full.pdf
    efficacy of between -40% and +60%, a laughable confidence interval with 0 cases of severe disease/hospitalisation/death in the measured group

• Advertisement

ACitizenErased,

Keep telling yourself that I 'couldn't be more wrong'. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

NI is part of the UK. Night clubs and concerts will be happening in June of this summer not next summer

ACitizenErased,

Keep telling yourself that I 'couldn't be more wrong'. I'm sure it makes you feel better.

To be fair you made a claim with nothing linked to back it up and ACE replied your wrong and linked to his source. In my book unless you have a source you are in fact wrong ???

There is little prospect of nightclubs, concerts and other large indoor events will be able to re-open until vaccines are available that are highly effective against all mutant variants.

To be fair you made a claim with nothing linked to back it up and ACE replied your wrong and linked to his source. In my book unless you have a source you are in fact wrong ???

The source ACE quoted supports my claim rather than repudiates it.

The paper also states that a two-dose regimen of AstraZeneca did not show protection against the South African variant covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Zardoz

NI is part of the UK. Night clubs and concerts will be happening in June of this summer not next summer

They might be happening in England in June but that is not certain yet.
    Only England and Scotland have announced their roadmaps so far and they differ quite a bit.
    Northern Ireland and Wales will outline their plans in the coming weeks.
    Wales' deputy chief medical officer has said he would be "very surprised" if all COVID rules will be eased in his country by 21 June - the date Boris Johnson has targeted to fully lift the lockdown measures in England.
    Dr Chris Jones said there is a "real risk" of a third coronavirus wave if restrictions are relaxed too quickly.
    He also believes there is going to be a "considerable time before we can mix freely in nightclubs".

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-top-welsh-medic-questions-whether-pms-21-june-date-for-lifting-all-coronavirus-rules-is-realistic-12226557

Zardoz wrote: »
    They might be happening in England in June but that is not certain yet.
    Only England and Scotland have announced their roadmaps so far and they differ quite a bit.
    Northern Ireland and Wales will outline their plans in the coming weeks.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-top-welsh-medic-questions-whether-pms-21-june-date-for-lifting-all-coronavirus-rules-is-realistic-12226557

Ah thanks. I incorrectly assumed it was a road map for all of the UK. Not just England. That changes things quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I can understand businesses owners and people peacefully protesting over lockdown restrictions but no one should protest imho over masks and that Covid19 is a hoax, I think the lack of coherent information from the government and future plans is misleading

Ah thanks. I incorrectly assumed it was a road map for all of the UK. Not just England. That changes things quite a bit.

Also, England will only re-open on June 21 if 'strict conditions are met'.

One of these conditions is that there is no threat from mutants. Hence, the panic today:

Massive effort' under way to contain spread of Brazil variant
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-covid-brazil-variant-mutation-vaccine-lockdown/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Also, England will only re-open on June 21 if 'strict conditions are met'.

One of these conditions is that there is no threat from mutants. Hence, the panic today:

Massive effort' under way to contain spread of Brazil variant
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-covid-brazil-variant-mutation-vaccine-lockdown/

your not working for rte by any chance?negative negative relax

Advertisement