Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

1 death, 687 cases (that number is annoyingly stubborn in not coming down).

No updated vaccine numbers yet, though fewer vaccines seem to be administered over the weekend (Saturday's numbes are next day to be released) so they might not move much. Currently on approximately 8.6 doses per 100 as of Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Does anyone have any theory why the cases are still so high? It's low in comparison to December/January's numbers but compared to last year it's really high (I know it isn't a like for like as it all depends on testing). We are still in level 5 and most people I know are still following it, everywhere I go, everyone is wearing masks indoors and a lot wear them outdoors too. Maybe that's why Cork's numbers are now so low while a lot of the rest of the country have really high numbers. Are people just not following the guidelines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Does anyone have any theory why the cases are still so high? It's low in comparison to December/January's numbers but compared to last year it's really high (I know it isn't a like for like as it all depends on testing). We are still in level 5 and most people I know are still following it, everywhere I go, everyone is wearing masks indoors and a lot wear them outdoors too. Maybe that's why Cork's numbers are now so low while a lot of the rest of the country have really high numbers. Are people just not following the guidelines?

If I knew the answers, I would be up in the Department of Health getting paid a boat load of money to sort it all out.

But I don't, and we're just here speculating on Boards.ie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

There was only 500 positive tests today. 687 today is a combination of those and cases from previous days so to say that numbers are still high isn’t exactly correct in epi terms.

https://twitter.com/covid19dataie/status/1366417197195747331?s=21

It’s also worth noting (per Prof Nolan at the press briefing) the 5 day average today is 650, last Monday it was 800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Be right back

32 cases in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Augeo wrote: »
    Why would you want to go to a protest you know nothing about?
    Regarding the bolded piece.......

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/far-right-group-who-willing-19933159

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cork-covid-protest-must-be-stopped-neale-richmond-1088690.html
    "“Dangerous conspiracy theorists preyed on the genuine frustrations of many to recklessly bring hundreds of people out in protest against necessary public health measures aimed to fuel the spread of a killer virus."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40235468.html
    ""So whatever needs to be done, so whatever can be done, to ensure if there is a protest, that it can be dealt with quickly and efficiently, without putting anybody at risk, and I mean both for the people demonstrating and the gardaí."

Still want to go Fin?

I have genuine frustrations about lockdown, my mental health is deteriorating rapidly the longer this goes on but I’m not anti mask or anti vaccine . And I’ve respect for the guards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

who_me wrote: »
    1 death, 687 cases (that number is annoyingly stubborn in not coming down).

No updated vaccine numbers yet, though fewer vaccines seem to be administered over the weekend (Saturday's numbes are next day to be released) so they might not move much. Currently on approximately 8.6 doses per 100 as of Friday.

Is all healthcare, hospitals and care homes etc., in ROI done yet?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is all healthcare, hospitals and care homes etc., in ROI done yet?
    As of Friday
    Residents aged 65+ in LTCF
    95,008 - 1st Doses Administered
    61,777 - 2nd Doses Administered

Frontline Healthcare Workers
    144,628 - 1st Doses Administered
    78,502 - 2nd Doses Administered

People aged 70 and older
    45,741 - 1st Doses Administered
    3 - 2nd Doses Administered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

fin12 wrote: »
    I have genuine frustrations about lockdown, my mental health is deteriorating rapidly the longer this goes on but I’m not anti mask or anti vaccine . And I’ve respect for the guards.

I doubt going to a protest with that lot is going to do much for your mental health. Besides, anyone who goes to those events, doesn’t follow the guidelines has lost all right to complain about the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The other indicators outside of the case numbers are showing positive and overall are probably better barometers, I guess it's because the case numbers are front and centre for about a year now that we use them. Hopefully we have a 2 or 3 day spread in the next few weeks where those indicators kick in in the case numbers and go from something like 600 to 300 etc in the space of a few days.

No Covid19 ICU admissions in the past 24 hours, for the first time in 2021

Corholio wrote: »
    The other indicators outside of the case numbers are showing positive and overall are probably better barometers, I guess it's because the case numbers are front and centre for about a year now that we use them. Hopefully we have a 2 or 3 day spread in the next few weeks where those indicators kick in in the case numbers and go from something like 600 to 300 etc in the space of a few days.
    Case numbers aren't actually a useful metric anymore according to Prof Nolan due to the fact that people are putting off GP appointments until midweek and thus cases towards the end of the week are much higher - worth just keeping an eye on averages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I doubt going to a protest with that lot is going to do much for your mental health. Besides, anyone who goes to those events, doesn’t follow the guidelines has lost all right to complain about the situation

So is it just this protest ye have the issue with or all protests cause didn’t see much people having an issue when BML were out protesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Please stop dragging this thread off topic with chat about marches, BLM, or anything else. Coronavirus in Cork is the topic.

Just a quick update on the Cork hospitals

As of 8pm this evening:
    CUH - 14 patients with COVID-19 (down from 16 yesterday) with 9 in ICU (no change)
    Mercy - 6 patients with COVID-19 (down from 10 yesterday) with 1 in ICU (down 2)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

As of Saturday, there have been 435,895 vaccines administered:

294,550 - first dose
    141,345 - second dose

That's approximately 8.75 doses per 100 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Was down in Ringaskiddy new park last sunday, almost no social distancing and very few wear masks. The place was jointed. The wife and myself did not get out the car, we were too frightened by the carry on. It will be well passed June before we see an easing of restrictions IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

How many times has this been said over the past year, seriously? Do what you're comfortable with of course, but I wouldn't be getting in a panic over it at this stage.

Just a quick update on the Cork hospitals

As of 8pm this evening:
    CUH - 14 patients with COVID-19 (down from 16 yesterday) with 9 in ICU (no change)
    Mercy - 6 patients with COVID-19 (down from 10 yesterday) with 1 in ICU (down 2)

I hope recovered discharges and not deaths

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Was down in Ringaskiddy new park last sunday, almost no social distancing and very few wear masks. The place was jointed. The wife and myself did not get out the car, we were too frightened by the carry on. It will be well passed June before we see an easing of restrictions IMO.

A close contact is being within 2m of someone for 15 minutes, iirc that's indoors also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

roundymac wrote: »

Just goes to show that interpretations differ. I wasn't there on Sunday but I was directly across the water in Cobh and could see over - certainly didn't look overrun to me. Not sure why you'd wear a mask outdoors there either.

I was also in Fitzgerald's Park on Saturday afternoon - TBH it was quieter than I expected, but a poster on this thread fled home without entering there either IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Any checkpoints on the way to Ringaskiddy?
    Asking for a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Just goes to show that interpretations differ. I wasn't there on Sunday but I was directly across the water in Cobh and could see over - certainly didn't look overrun to me. Not sure why you'd wear a mask outdoors there either.

I was also in Fitzgerald's Park on Saturday afternoon - TBH it was quieter than I expected, but a poster on this thread fled home without entering there either IIRC.

Possibly me you're thinking of; we passed Sunday and decided not to go through it, but just stay on the road itself. Mrs & I are not overly cautious about COVID, but just try be sensible, esp as Mrs is pregnant so we don't want to find out what pregnancy & COVID is like...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

14 more deaths RIP :(

I’ve been reliably informed both City Hall and Pairc Ui Chaoimh will be open for vaccinations from next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Excellent. March 11th is expected j&j emergency use authorisation for EU. Should start getting deliveries a week or two after that.

pwurple wrote: »
    Excellent. March 11th is expected j&j emergency use authorisation for EU. Should start getting deliveries a week or two after that.
    Unfortunately we won't be getting J&J until late March/early April no matter when its approved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Ugh there's a video circulating of some UCC student's "day in the life". They start the day at Bell's Fields, go back through town, head to Kinsale and then back to their student accommodation to go drinking.

Such a slap in the face. I'd love to go to Kinsale for the day with my friends. It's so disheartening to see people blatantly break the rules openly on social media.

Advertisement