Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Unfortunately we won't be getting J&J until late March/early April no matter when its approved

Don’t get ya. It’s March now. March 11th is Thursday next week.

So, delivery a few weeks later is expected.

What’s the unfortunately about? I would say it is very fortunate indeed if it becomes available in that timeframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

pwurple wrote: »
    Don’t get ya. It’s March now. March 11th is Thursday next week.

So, delivery a few weeks later is expected.

What’s the unfortunately about? I would say it is very fortunate indeed if it becomes available in that timeframe.

Because the delivery is delayed. We received AZ and Pfizer one week after approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

rorrissey wrote: »
    Ugh there's a video circulating of some UCC student's "day in the life". They start the day at Bell's Fields, go back through town, head to Kinsale and then back to their student accommodation to go drinking.

Such a slap in the face. I'd love to go to Kinsale for the day with my friends. It's so disheartening to see people blatantly break the rules openly on social media.

When was the video filmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Covid19 is truly a horrible disease.

Stay safe fellow Cork people.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Stark wrote: »
    When was the video filmed?

Sunday I'd say. My sister found it on Tiktok. I assume someone has probably complained to UCC about it because it has over 40,000 views already.

Edit: I wouldn't want to get a student in trouble over such a thing but it is, like I said, a slap in the face to those of us staying within our 5km and only going out for exercise & a food shop once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Ugh there's a video circulating of some UCC student's "day in the life". They start the day at Bell's Fields, go back through town, head to Kinsale and then back to their student accommodation to go drinking.

Such a slap in the face. I'd love to go to Kinsale for the day with my friends. It's so disheartening to see people blatantly break the rules openly on social media.

Easier said than done, but you cannot control what other people do and you shouldn’t let their actions upset you or impact you as you cannot control it.

In general, we’re far past the “All in this together, hold firm, #StayHome” phase of last March & April. I would be willing to wager that a very small proportion of the population are following the restrictions wholly any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Has the protest scheduled for the weekend been cancelled. If not, should be as these events are spreaders

votecounts wrote: »
    Has the protest scheduled for the weekend been cancelled. If not, should be as these events are spreaders
    Not technically as its outdoors but anyway the Gards have an operation in place as far as i know

votecounts wrote: »

The event in Dublin last week and the event in Cork this coming weekend have both been described as "illegal gathering " by Minister for Justice Helen McEntee.

I just heard her on Newstalk interviewed by Pat Kenny.

Folk arranging an illegal gathering aren't overly interested in cancelling them.

Apologies, was just mentioning Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has described the rumoured Covid protest in Cork as an "illegal gathering ".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Augeo wrote: »
    Apologies, was just mentioning Minister for Justice Helen McEntee has described the rumoured Covid protest in Cork as an "illegal gathering ".

Wonder if these two ladies will be there?

545680.jpg

1 case has been identified at a Cork secondary school (Coachford). https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40236887.html

Magazine Road Residents are back in the paper, this time appealing for action before, what they say, would be a repeat of Summer 2020 which house parties in places rented by students. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40237007.html

Surely they would have seen evidence of the parties by now? It's not like they're not happening (see Galway, Limerick) so I'm confused why they're worried for Summer.

The residents associate seem to be levelling the blame on landlords who are still renting property. Residents association position is that they shouldn't be renting as the students have no reason to be in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The residents associate seem to be levelling the blame on landlords who are still renting property. Residents association position is that they shouldn't be renting as the students have no reason to be in Cork.

I'd imagine that landlords are entitled to rent to whoever they like as long as they aren't breaking any laws.

The vast majority of students are over 18 and should be treated like any other adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Pen Rua wrote: »
    1 case has been identified at a Cork secondary school (Coachford). https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40236887.html

Magazine Road Residents are back in the paper, this time appealing for action before, what they say, would be a repeat of Summer 2020 which house parties in places rented by students. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40237007.html

Surely they would have seen evidence of the parties by now? It's not like they're not happening (see Galway, Limerick) so I'm confused why they're worried for Summer.

Lots of students living locally are making arrangements to move out of home and into rented accomodation for the summer. I'd say this will be a bit of a problem.

I'd imagine that landlords are entitled to rent to whoever they like as long as they aren't breaking any laws.

The vast majority of students are over 18 and should be treated like any other adults.

Agreed. Unless the Magazine residents want to pay the landlords for the vacant homes, the landlords can use the property as they wish.

Speaking of treating students like adults, NUIG will direct students who have breached COVID regulations to write a 2,000 reflective essay. https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2021/0303/1200616-students-galway/

The difference between Cork and places up the country is the UCC SU have been campaigning for rent refunds since day 1 and landlords have been forthcoming. That's why we've had no incidents á la Limerick last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

My daughter was at the doctor's today and the waiting room was so busy she had to be brought into the corridor outside the doctors room while she was waiting. The place was full of people getting their vaccines. This is really good to hear :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

25 additional deaths RIP

566 new cases 19 Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Of those 25 deaths
    - March: 5
    - February: 13
    - January: 6
    - Date under investigation: 1

So, obvious "things were worse than they seemed to be, but now are better than they seem to be, unless in the future they're revealed to be worse than they now seem to be" disclaimer. Obviously can't infer much about trends or progress just by looking at the daily announced deaths.

The difference between Cork and places up the country is the UCC SU have been campaigning for rent refunds since day 1 and landlords have been forthcoming. That's why we've had no incidents á la Limerick last night.

The students in Limerick partying were a disgrace, UL and LIT should kick them out and fine them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not the same level but I saw a bunch of 'ladies' outside a student house on Western Road last Thursday afternoon drinking away and shouting at passing people and cars.

Not the same level but I saw a bunch of 'ladies' outside a student house on Western Road last Thursday afternoon drinking away and shouting at passing people and cars.

Hardly compare that to hundreds of different households shooting fireworks at houses in limerick to be fair (and thats not a solitary incident)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,568 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hardly compare that to hundreds of different households shooting fireworks at houses in limerick to be fair (and thats not a solitary incident)

Hundreds? LOL, haven't seen the video and didn't realize it was of that scale!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

If you read the comments on the video they’ve clearly said they all live together. I could think of worse things they could be doing than going for a drive on a sunny day and having a few drinks in the accommodation that they pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

If you read the comments on the video they’ve clearly said they all live together. I could think of worse things they could be doing than going for a drive on a sunny day and having a few drinks in the accommodation that they pay for.

Oh, I didn't see the comments at all. At least it's not so bad so. I suppose the only rule they broke was the 5km. I'd love to know how they got away with it, my dog is dying for a swim at the beach, the water supposedly helps his joint problems.. But that's hardly an essential reason lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Oh, I didn't see the comments at all. At least it's not so bad so. I suppose the only rule they broke was the 5km. I'd love to know how they got away with it, my dog is dying for a swim at the beach, the water supposedly helps his joint problems.. But that's hardly an essential reason lol.

Just say you are bringing him for grooming, that's allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

It’s worth noting that the only reason the 5k travel limit hasn’t been lifted (and probably won’t be lifted until May) is because it was stupidly tied in with the eviction ban, meaning if they lift it, landlords can evict their tenants during lockdown.
    That’s the only reason it’s still in place, there is no meaningful scientific evidence that indicates that the 5k rule saves any lives or stops the spread of the virus, particularly during lockdown when nothing is open anyway.
    When there is little to no reasoning to support a rule, people will eventually start breaking it. It’s just human nature.
    Expecting people to only go within 5k of their homes for 16 weeks (or 20 weeks if they push this lockdown into May, which is just under half a year) is not realistic at all, and there will be more of this in the coming months.

When you see what the students in UL have been up to this week it’s quite cringe worthy that people on FB are begrudging a few young people a 30 minute spin down the road to the coast on one of our very few sunny days.
    I saw posts in a lockdown group calling for these young people to be expelled from college for this, which is absolutely outrageous and a complete over reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If u choose to follow the restrictions religiously that’s on u, stop complaining ur confining ur self the 5k no one else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I live up in the area and would be out walking at night fairly often, there's really **** all going at the moment tbh, compared with normal times at least.

Really think people are being properly hysterical over this. Not without reason, it is a very stressful time, but like at the same time, there's a lot to be said for chilling the fucck out over things that are beyond control.

Advertisement