Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fin12 wrote: »
    If u choose to follow the restrictions religiously that’s on u, stop complaining ur confining ur self the 5k no one else.

That's a bit like saying that if you pay your taxes, it's on you, and you have no right to complain about people evading tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I do feel Students get a hammering in all situations. It's always dead silence about the issues we face, and then one incident and its all over the news and suddenly all students are bad. Doesn't help when the Minister dedicated to 3rd level education has done nothing but talk about secondary schools and health, and one of his first mentions of students is to condemn them. I really enjoyed Ronan Glynn standing up for students yesterday though, it was actually nice to read a bit of positivity about us. https://twitter.com/ronan_glynn/status/1367196155256389645?s=20

Majority of people I know are following restrictions, and if the do meet up with somebody it is with one or two people, outdoors in a park usually with a mask on. I personally have been meeting friends for food... sitting in individual cars and talking through our window and I have seen countless others doing this too. The whole house gatherings are rarer then you think and you can be 100% sure it isn't just the students doing them, and ACE is correct, UCCSU have been great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I do feel Students get a hammering in all situations. It's always dead silence about the issues we face, and then one incident and its all over the news and suddenly all students are bad. Doesn't help when the Minister dedicated to 3rd level education has done nothing but talk about secondary schools and health, and one of his first mentions of students is to condemn them.

Majority of people I know are following restrictions, and if the do meet up with somebody it is with one or two people, outdoors in a park usually with a mask on. I personally have been meeting friends for food... sitting in individual cars and talking through our window and I have seen countless others doing this too. The whole house gatherings are rarer then you think and you can be 100% sure it isn't just the students doing them
    As a student i can also corroborate this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ronan Glynn is a good man, I really believe he gets how hard it is for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The students around Cork that I see are ridiculously well behaved, better than I would have been at that age I can tell you. :) I sometimes see them when I'm out for walks, in their rooms studying all day and night, with the odd garden break for exercise.

When you consider what usually happens in your early 20's... forming relationships, separating from your parents, starting career, sports, hobbies etc. And instead... that has been replaced with being at home with parents, can't form those social contacts, don't get work placements. All sports are cancelled, and fast food the main type of food facility open.

If I was a cork student I'd most likely be binge-watching Fraiser, ballooning to three times my weight, feeling extremely sorry for myself. Fair play all of them for managing it so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

That's a bit like saying that if you pay your taxes, it's on you, and you have no right to complain about people evading tax!

No it’s not , most people have no choice but to pay tax. I don’t know about u but I’ve no choice to pay tax but anyone has a choice to break the 5k.

fin12 wrote: »
    No it’s not , most people have no choice but to pay tax. I don’t know about u but I’ve no choice to pay tax but anyone has a choice to break the 5k.

All self employed people can evade tax, easily.
    Also there's more forms of tax than income tax - I won't bother listing them but many are easily avoidable. Cash payments for work, avoiding VAT for example.
    Not declaring income, is extremely common.

The 5k restrictions, just like taxation are set out in law.

I agree, everyone has the choice to break laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness there's been plenty of times in his tweets where has 'defended' students over the past year, although I don't see it as necessarily defending either as it's common sense not to paint every student with the same brush, and most people don't tbf. Any individual group that blatantly flout restrictions to that degree should be criticised, when I say group I mean those specific students. Many other 'groups' have over the past year.

I think often people take criticism of students as 'all students', when most have the common sense to know it's not imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭Be right back

29 cases in Cork today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Cork now has the lowest incidence rate at 60.6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

We're still doing very well but hopefully the cases won't go above 30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

29 cases in Cork today.

39 additional deaths RIP

462 new cases confirmed, 29 Cork

I am sick to the back teeth of all the whinging, moaning, bitching and crying about the vaccine roll out. It's all over the radio.

THE GOVERNMENT CANNOT GIVE OUT VACCINES THAT THEIR SUPPLIERS HAVE FAILED TO DELIVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I am sick to the back teeth of all the whinging, moaning, bitching and crying about the vaccine roll out. It's all over the radio.

THE GOVERNMENT CANNOT GIVE OUT VACCINES THAT THEIR SUPPLIERS HAVE FAILED TO DELIVER.

Message unclear........ so you're saying it's 100% Fianna Fail's fault or Fine Gael's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    39 additional deaths RIP

462 new cases confirmed, 29 Cork

Of the 39 dead, 10 are from March.

Incidentally, does anyone know why there are relatively high numbers of Covid-deaths from weeks ago (January and even from 2020) still being reported? Are these numbers that were lost in paperwork, or deaths previously thought to be non-Covid related and some tests came back positive making it a factor? Or something else?

Shout it louder for people in the back, I'm sick of the complaints

who_me wrote: »
    Of the 39 dead, 10 are from March.

Incidentally, does anyone know why there are relatively high numbers of Covid-deaths from weeks ago (January and even from 2020) still being reported? Are these numbers that were lost in paperwork, or deaths previously thought to be non-Covid related and some tests came back positive making it a factor? Or something else?
    Irish law means deaths can be registered up to 3 months after they occurred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

As somebody who's been running since all this kicked off last year, it's funny to read this given all the hysteria there's been about joggers.

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1367520145808248841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Except their are vaccines here Undistributed

The minister for health didn’t even know today when questioned who he was awaiting vaccines from and blamed the wrong supplier

Blamed the low weekend numbers on Doctors not wanting to work at the weekends

And delivered vaccines last weekend to a GP but without any syringes

You keep telling yourself that they are doing a great job tho

Except their are vaccines here Undistributed

The minister for health didn’t even know today when questioned who he was awaiting vaccines from and blamed the wrong supplier

Blamed the low weekend numbers on Doctors not wanting to work at the weekends

And delivered vaccines last weekend to a GP but without any syringes

You keep telling yourself that they are doing a great job tho
    no there isnt, if you re-watch the HSE briefing today (the people who are actually managing the rollout) vaccine usage as a percentage of vaccines received is 99.6%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The lack of coherent correct same information from the government is misleading and confusing, they need to be on the same page and deliver the same message

ACE any LEA update please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    The lack of coherent correct same information from the government is misleading and confusing, they need to be on the same page and deliver the same message

ACE any LEA update please?

Every fortnight, so another week or less, unfortunately not committing to deadlines is the way things have to be at the moment, hopefully the weather will get better after next week and it will be a big help, alot of people are struggling at the moment so please reach out to neighbours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Nice to see Cork dropping to the lowest rate in the country.

People distributing or receiving the vaccine will generally tell you it’s unorganised. The initial deliveries sat here for weeks. We are way behind where we should be organisationally.

The members of my family who got jabs so far registered 4 different ways, with Covax, on an administrators excel sheet that was emailed around, by text message and some other website. Eventually the excel sheet and getting a call from someone they knew in the hospital who said there were spares for the day seemed to be the way it worked.

The GP got a bunch of doses with no notice, but in fairness had a list ready and called in the relevant patients.

On the ground, most are dealing with it (because they are professionals), but the lack of organisation higher up the chain in the civil service is frustrating. We all knew there was a vaccine roll out coming, why are we so unprepared?

It’s a systemic problem with the civvler in my opinion. The way management and administration posts are appointed with those panels, where someone can be moved from defence to social to health with no choice in the matter and no experience in any of them is just an asinine way to fill posts. Individuals will do their best, but you cannot get good outcomes by pushing inexperienced people into roles that way.

So, Fin12, are you going to go to the "public assembly" on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40238510.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The Lord Mayor is in the paper asking for tomorrow's event to be cancelled.

The organisers' spokesperson, Diarmaid Ó Cadhla, is quoted as saying it will go ahead and will be "a peaceful family" event.

The Gardaí are quoted noting that the event requires not authorisation from them, and also notes that the organisation & attendance at such an event is a penal offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

opus wrote: »
    As somebody who's been running since all this kicked off last year, it's funny to read this given all the hysteria there's been about joggers.

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1367520145808248841

We know outdoors is approximately 20 times safer than indoors. However, where are those pie charts from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭Rfrip

A rally against Covid 19 restrictions a peaceful family event?? A large gathering? give me strength

O'Cadhla always seemed like a bit of a spacer. His election posters look like something you'd see in a propaganda book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

no there isnt, if you re-watch the HSE briefing today (the people who are actually managing the rollout) vaccine usage as a percentage of vaccines received is 99.6%

The HSE is one of the biggest shambles of an organization in the world any where and that was pre Covid. I wouldn’t believe any figures they tell us when the minister for health over seeing them can’t even get his story straight.

We normally agree on most things here but I can’t agree with you on this. It’s well know there are large volume of doses not administered, in storage, and all it takes is a small bit of digging.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/january-stocks-of-moderna-covid-vaccine-still-waiting-to-be-administered-vd5w38vjn

Also more GPs on the radio and Twitter today claiming that vaccines arrived unannounced to their surgery’s with no syringes to administer them. Like a fella coming to paint your house but only bringing paint and no brushes.

Will the government blame aztrazenica for the syringes been missing also on these deliveries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭ofcork

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Any checkpoints on the way to Ringaskiddy?
    Asking for a friend.

Im up and down 5 days a week to work not a single checkpoint they are very scarce this lockdown we didnt even get a work letter this time.

Advertisement