Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The HSE is one of the biggest shambles of an organization in the world any where and that was pre Covid. I wouldn’t believe any figures they tell us when the minister for health over seeing them can’t even get his story straight.

We normally agree on most things here but I can’t agree with you on this. It’s well know there are large volume of doses not administered, in storage, and all it takes is a small bit of digging.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/january-stocks-of-moderna-covid-vaccine-still-waiting-to-be-administered-vd5w38vjn

Also more GPs on the radio and Twitter today claiming that vaccines arrived unannounced to their surgery’s with no syringes to administer them. Like a fella coming to paint your house but only bringing paint and no brushes.

Will the government blame aztravenica for the syringes been missing also on these deliveries?
    If you watch the briefing you'll find that the GPs are required to submit orders for syringes. The COVID vaccine =/= the flu vaccine, which arrives with syringes.

And, on Moderna, it's a fairly simple explanation that's been given a thousand times. The Moderna deliveries are extremely off schedule and there has to be a buffer in place to cater for the second dose because the next delivery mightn't arrive.

Also explained in the briefing.......

but off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

If you watch the briefing you'll find that the GPs are required to submit orders for syringes. The COVID vaccine =/= to the flu vaccine, which arrives with syringes.

But how can GPs place orders for things they don’t know when/if or even how many are due to arrive?

But how can GPs place orders for things they don’t know when/if or even how many are due to arrive?

???
    GPs submit a vaccine order with how many they require

???
    GPs submit a vaccine order with how many they require

I think you missed the initial point. These GPs have placed orders and when the orders arrived the syringes were missing. These GPS have tried to follow up this with the HSE but their is no direct line for them. This point was raised in the dail and they have said they’ll look into how to improve communication

You think the HSE are doing a great job and everything they tell us is fact.

I think they are telling lies and putting the blame on the pharma company’s and GPs.

Nothing I can be told here will change my current opinion on that. These GPs have gone public and a good few of them at that, saying the system is a shambles and I’d believe that over anything anyone in the HSE tries to tell me as from my experience and from the many people I know employed directly by HSE across various roles from IT to store workers to porters, it’s a shambles from top to bottom.

I think you missed the initial point. These GPs have placed orders and when the orders arrived the syringes were missing. These GPS have tried to follow up this with the HSE but their is no direct line for them. This point was raised in the dail and they have said they’ll look into how to improve communication

You think the HSE are doing a great job and everything they tell us is fact.

I think they are telling lies and putting the blame on the pharma company’s and GPs.

Nothing I can be told here will change my current opinion on that. These GPs have gone public and a good few of them at that, saying the system is a shambles and I’d believe that over anything anyone in the HSE tries to tell me as from my experience and from the many people I know employed directly by HSE across various roles from IT to store workers to porters, it’s a shambles from top to bottom.
    1) The HSE doesn't supply syringes, as I said. 2) The Pharma companies are a disaster, other countries agree 3) complaining about the HSE on here when you're wrong won't solve the issues with supply

Not replying anymore as it's off topic

• Advertisement

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 16/02/2021 to 01/03/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 44 (-15), LEA rate per 100k pop: 118 (-40)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 19 (-5), LEA rate per 100k pop: 85 (-22)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 15 (-12), LEA rate per 100k pop: 43 (-34)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 17 (-18), LEA rate per 100k pop: 50 (-53)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 31 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 74 (-7)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (-17), LEA rate per 100k pop: 50 (-42)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 45 (+2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 116 (+5)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (-18), LEA rate per 100k pop: 63 (-42)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 21 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 45 (-6)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 21 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 58 (-2)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 12 (-10), LEA rate per 100k pop: 48 (-40)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 15 (-7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 41 (-19)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 39 (-19), LEA rate per 100k pop: 134 (-65)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 23 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 51 (-2)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 8 (-12), LEA rate per 100k pop: 26 (-40)

26 cases in Cork today

Augeo wrote: »
    Last 15 days Cork cases.... From 13th Feb to today....

34, 28, 29, 20, 46, 31, 28, 38, 13, 19, 23, 21, 24, 20 & 36
    Average is 27.

There must be large swathes of the county with effectively no Covid....

I posted that on the 27th.
    6 days later average down a tad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I won't be attending but anyone going to protest be careful and peaceful, keep distant if possible, mask up and remember Covid19 does exist

I'd be very surprised to not see large amounts of public order Gardai out tomorrow ending it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd be very surprised to not see large amounts of public order Gardai out tomorrow ending it

Are they different to normal Gardai :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

For the sake of the Gardaí, business & general public, I hope it remains peaceful.

Protest is an essential part of any democracy, imo, and to an extent, it’s essential nature does not pause at this time.

I can appreciate many are frustrated with genuine reasons (be it work, social, health etc) but as we saw last week such an event is ripe to be hijacked
    by the wrong people.

Obviously, I won’t be attending.

Let’s hope it goes with no news to report from it.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    yeah they're the riot squad, they wear baseball caps and dark blue overalls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

If there was a guarantee of it not turning violent and remaining peaceful I would attend, but unfortunately there are a minority of ‘rent a crowd’ types who would show up to protest just about anything, and I don’t want to align myself with something that may not represent my views.

I’m not far right, nor am I anti vax/anti mask (I will be getting vaccinated ASAP and have no issue wearing a mask), I just think the government have repeatedly mismanaged the national response and it angers me that our monumental personal, economic and emotional sacrifice of having the longest and strictest lockdown in Europe (and in the top 3 of the world) hasn’t protected the elderly or vulnerable in any meaningful way.
    We have had both the longest lockdown, and the most European nursing home deaths per capita.
    There is something very very wrong about that.
    That is what I would be protesting against.

It is unfortunate and disappointing that everyone with anything negative to say is getting lumped in with conspiracy theorists, as far as these protests go.

Instead of attending, I will be taking full advantage of the increased Garda presence in town by taking a trip to Ballycotton with my mum for a nice walk and maybe a coffee.
    It’s outside our 5k but I can’t imagine there being many checkpoints trying to get out of the city tomorrow.
    I’m looking forward to breathing some proper sea air for the first time this year.

I hope there isn’t any trouble tomorrow because all it will do is distract the public from the issues at hand.
    We need to stay focused on the vaccine roll out rather than pointing fingers at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Is it bad that I'm looking forward to not being questioned for going down the marina for going for a walk this weekend now like last weekend due to these protests diverting their resources....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

They are normal Gardai, they are trained to deal with these situations and when not involved in these situations, then they are normal Gardai again.

Just be careful folks, checkpoints may still be there, I know that the fleet of Public Order Unit vans are down in Cork from Dublin and there could very well be Gardai who were at the Dublin episode last week down also.

In a situation like this, there will be plenty of over time offered and plenty will avail of it. I imagine that normal service will still be operated and resources are being reallocated from elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

kub wrote:
    Just be careful folks, checkpoints may still be there, I know that the fleet of Public Order Unit vans are down in Cork from Dublin and there could very well be Gardai who were at the Dublin episode last week down also.

Apparently they did an intensive "Operation 5k" blitz last weekend in Dublin in spite of the protests that day. Was told they had hillwalking foot patrols and everything. (****ing ridiculous imo, hillwalking is a safe activity). So yeah, be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

I can see a spike in cases in Cork in about a week to 10 days as a result of this afternoon's gathering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

SusieBlue wrote: »
    If there was a guarantee of it not turning violent and remaining peaceful I would attend, but unfortunately there are a minority of ‘rent a crowd’ types who would show up to protest just about anything, and I don’t want to align myself with something that may not represent my views.

I’m not far right, nor am I anti vax/anti mask (I will be getting vaccinated ASAP and have no issue wearing a mask), I just think the government have repeatedly mismanaged the national response and it angers me that our monumental personal, economic and emotional sacrifice of having the longest and strictest lockdown in Europe (and in the top 3 of the world) hasn’t protected the elderly or vulnerable in any meaningful way.
    We have had both the longest lockdown, and the most European nursing home deaths per capita.
    There is something very very wrong about that.
    That is what I would be protesting against.

It is unfortunate and disappointing that everyone with anything negative to say is getting lumped in with conspiracy theorists, as far as these protests go.

Instead of attending, I will be taking full advantage of the increased Garda presence in town by taking a trip to Ballycotton with my mum for a nice walk and maybe a coffee.
    It’s outside our 5k but I can’t imagine there being many checkpoints trying to get out of the city tomorrow.
    I’m looking forward to breathing some proper sea air for the first time this year.

I hope there isn’t any trouble tomorrow because all it will do is distract the public from the issues at hand.
    We need to stay focused on the vaccine roll out rather than pointing fingers at each other.

There was on violent incident by an idiot with a firework against a Garda but to listen to RTE and newstalk you’d swear it was a full scale riot. I would like to attend a peaceful protest, this whole thing is getting dragged out too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What group or organisation is planning the protest today?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What group or organisation is planning the protest today?

"Diarmaid Ó Cadhla is a former member of Cork County Council. He describes himself as a spokesman for today's event, appointed by The People's Convention. He denies that he is the event organiser, and refused to identify those who are organising the rally."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0306/1201276-cork-covid-protest/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Don't think I've ever seen this level of precautions in town before. Guessing they don't quite believe Mr Ó Cadhla's statement that it will be a peaceful protest.

546007.jpg

Dunnes are closing at lunchtime btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I too would like to attend a peaceful protest but the risk of loony violence is too much. The building company in high court drovr the point home for me in that it's not safe to have construction working unless it's a hospital, school or social housing. I can see how people are frustrated.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    "Diarmaid Ó Cadhla....... refused to identify those who are organising the rally."

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0306/1201276-cork-covid-protest/

Enough said IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

opus wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever seen this level of precautions in town before. Guessing they don't quite believe Mr Ó Cadhla's statement that it will be a peaceful protest.

546007.jpg

Dunnes are closing at lunchtime btw.

Must be another reason for that, surely there will be no violence there today, with cctv everywhere it would be very stupid to do anything.

It has hit the rebel city, CUH on lockdown with restrictions (talk the carrier is a med student who was not abroad), wash hands and take care

Today/yesterday marks 1 year since COVID was first confirmed in Cork, and today marks 1 year since JP Liz started this thread.

I'll admit, I didn't really see why this thread was needed (I maybe even posted to that effect) but it has been a great source of local updates, localised numbers, and some sideline COVID discussion outside the madness of the main COVID forum.

Thanks to all for providing civil discussions, some banter & humour and local news.

Let's hope we don't have a lot to post about this afternoon.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see that BL Park is also closed today, for "operational reasons".

Lots of folk last week weren't bothered by AGS directly in front of them. CCTV if limited use should things kick off.
    It's inevitable there are trouble makers going to attend IMO.

BL?

Bishop Lucey Park, I'm guessing.

I would suggest Dunnes is just being proactive given what happened in Dublin last weekend. Any business around that are will probably have the same precautions.

• Advertisement

I really hope thousands show up today and also for ones arranged for Paddies day around the county. No riots or idiots with fireworks fighting Garda but enough is enough. The restrictions in place are ott and are only in place to protect a shambles of a health system. Open the country ffs and give people back their life’s

Advertisement