Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Bishop Lucey Park, I'm guessing.

I would suggest Dunnes is just being proactive given what happened in Dublin last weekend. Any business around that are will probably have the same precautions.

Dunne’s are being dramatic, FFS I was in the AIB yesterday and asked about the unmaned cash lobby and was told it’s open as normal and the protest is right on top of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The irony of Dunnes when they have totally ignored guidelines by renaming click and collect to reserve and collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I see that BL Park is also closed today, for "operational reasons".

Could be kept in reserve as a "kettling" compound for rioters.

Ok, I'm being over dramatic. I suspect there won't be more than a few minor incidents, today.
    At least I hope so.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Could be kept in reserve as a "kettling" compound for rioters.

Ok, I'm being over dramatic. I suspect there won't be more than a few minor incidents, today.
    At least I hope so.

I would be surprised at any trouble. Has Cork ever had any trouble at protests in modern times? (rhetorical question, getting off topic).

Dunne’s are being dramatic, FFS I was in the AIB yesterday and asked about the unmaned cash lobby and was told it’s open as normal and the protest is right on top of that

is there not security present there? Also it's a few ATM & lodgement machines iirc. Door will be closed quickly in the event of trouble I imagine

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    is there not security present there? Also it's a few ATM & lodgement machines iirc. Door will be closed quickly in the event of trouble I imagine

In business, I guess it's best to be prepared for the worst, at times.
    I was just onto a butcher in the English Market, he's considering closing early today, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Better to close for a couple of hours & board up then risking damage or avoidable disruption on premises. Again, totally precautionary based on how last week in Dublin went down.

No AIB staff I ment and to be fair some spotty teenager working for Noonans on minimum wage isn’t going to stop, or even try to stop people causing trouble.

Anytime I've been there at weekends theres been no spotty teenagers working as security... Adult chaps iirc.
    Anyway, they'll no doubt be briefed to lock door under certain circumstances. Nothing else required.
    Sure you reckon there will be no trouble anyway?

Sure you reckon there will be no trouble anyway?

Do you make assumptions* like this all the time about all posters?

*= make stuff up

• Advertisement

Do you make assumptions* like this all the time about all posters?

*= make stuff up

Assumptions... I mentioned with a question mark.... Sure you reckon there will be no trouble anyway?

You reckon Dunnes are being dramatic but also reckon they'll be no trouble?

Fill in the blanks for us. Hard to reconcile a bit if boarding to protect a shopfront being dramatic if you reckon there won't be trouble IMO.

Cork People-Before-Profit, Coveny, SF TDs add to the appeals for people not to attend. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40238966.html

When every major political group is either for the status quo of lockdowns or more restrictions, you can see why people can get swept up in fringe movements. No political grouping (bar maybe Aontú) are actively challenging the restrictions. People who are aggrieved have no one in the Dáil (besides Independents here or there) representing them.

2,000 fines have been issued in Cork, with well over 50% in the city. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40238930.html

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

"People Before Profit stand with frontline workers and to support them we encourage everyone to pay heed to public health advice," Cork PBP said. "We urge people to call for a zero-covid strategy which can pave the way out of this crisis."

PBP wanting the frustrated public to call for even harsher restrictions for longer to achieve the unachievable. Yes, that will work. The protest will have no one now.

Assumptions... I mentioned with a question mark.... Sure you reckon there will be no trouble anyway?

You reckon Dunnes are being dramatic but also reckon they'll be no trouble?

Fill in the blanks for us. Hard to reconcile a bit if boarding to protect a shopfront being dramatic if you reckon there won't be trouble IMO.

For us? Who’s us? Your the only person I see making assumptions about what I’m thinking. I never once said I think there’ll be no trouble. That’s something you made up all on your own and not for the the first time in this thread either.

For the record I don’t know if scumbags will try to cause harm today or not but I’m fairly certain the Garda will have a handle on things so yes I think boarding up a shop front is dramatic

apologies for the confusion if I contributed but Ive never made up anything on here.
    Again in the case you referred to I asked a question and to me you were suggesting there'd be no trouble at AIB were open as usual & Dunne's were being dramatic.
    I've no idea what else you are referring to.
    Given the confusion on this matter I imagine it's a similar misunderstanding on your behalf perhaps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I really hope thousands show up today and also for ones arranged for Paddies day around the county. No riots or idiots with fireworks fighting Garda but enough is enough. The restrictions in place are ott and are only in place to protect a shambles of a health system. Open the country ffs and give people back their life’s

They cannot open up fully until we've all been vaccinated. Even countries with the best health systems were struggling and had restrictions.

We're all fed up here, and it's none of our fault. But if it was a protest about our government, I would. They haven't been the best here. As another poster said, we had restrictions but failed to protect the elderly and vulnerable. All these restrictions placed upon us, yet they continue to let people fly into the country. I read a post on journal.ie yesterday, there's still no legal requirement for covid positive people or their close contacts to isolate either. God, I'm so mad at writing this.

But this isn't an anti-government protest. It's anti-everything and for my own health, I can't be joining in on what's seen as anti-covid or anti-mask.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Garda at the bottom of shandon street interrogating people walking into town. That’s how a girl I know, heading for her morning walk just described it to me. Where were they for all the BLM protests?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I witnessed this arrest. (getting some shopping before stuff gets going)
    I assume that he just refused to move on.
    He should really pick his battles. There was only one way this was going to end!
    Face down on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bluepurple

Garda at the bottom of shandon street interrogating people walking into town. That’s how a girl I know, heading for her morning walk just described it to me. Where were they for all the BLM protests?

It would be great if they spent more time around the North Main Street area instead of bothering people out for a bit of fresh air.

Walking to work in the mornings I’ve seen fellas openly dealing and using heroin.

bluepurple wrote: »
    It would be great if they spent more time around the North Main Street area instead of bothering people out for a bit of fresh air.

Walking to work in the mornings I’ve seen fellas openly dealing and using heroin.

Not like theirs a Garda station nearby or anything...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I witnessed this arrest. (getting some shopping before stuff gets going)
    I assume that he just refused to move on.
    He should really pick his battles. There was only one way this was going to end!
    Face down on the footpath.

It'll be called as an anti lockdowner arrested when it sounds like it's just one of the usual people playing music then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

A bit dramatic from Dunnes... surely they should proceed as normal. This is what the organisers want?

Dunnes is closed & they're doing up the doors.

titan18 wrote: »
    It'll be called as an anti lockdowner arrested when it sounds like it's just one of the usual people playing music then.

No music involved.
    One of these guys that swings fiery yolks on strings around as far as I could tell.
    He was at the site of this protest. The guards need control of this area. He could have just moved on.

Presume this is the same guy?

Didn't help himself by having a can of petrol a canister typically used for petrol, but likely with that fire breathing type liquid.

https://twitter.com/Max_Power__123/status/1368173742157934597

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Of course, I would not advocate any violence. But I think if it is in fact a peaceful protest it is totally correct. People forget how long we have been under restrictions like the 5km for it seems. Something has to change and how else are the people supposed to tell the government that? Again, what happened in Dublin was a disgrace and that should not be allowed happen in cork. But if it's peaceful, I'll be happy that the people have grown a pair of balls and stood up for once.

• Advertisement

Dunnes almost completely boarded up now.
    Haven't seen any other businesses doing this.

Advertisement