Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Dunnes almost completely boarded up now.
    Haven't seen any other businesses doing this.

I wonder will the Pana car ban finally be enforced??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Presume this is the same guy?

Didn't help himself by having a can of petrol.

https://twitter.com/Max_Power__123/status/1368173742157934597

Is he not a street performer? Drum and fuel is used for fire breathing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It'll be interesting to see what kind of muppets turn up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Is he not a street performer? Drum and fuel is used for fire breathing

I think that's what the beer revolu said - he was one of those fire breather types but refused to move on from a spot where the protest is due to happen. But given that the Gardaí are already on edge and he has a contained typically used for petrol... My original comment was a little misleading; I've amended it.

• Advertisement

Presume this is the same guy?

Didn't help himself by having a can of petrol a canister typically used for petrol, but likely with that fire breathing type liquid.

https://twitter.com/Max_Power__123/status/1368173742157934597

https://twitter.com/Max_Power__123/status/1368182171693940741

:/

That’s just someone being a bit dramatic cos they saw a petrol can to be fair, im fairly certain ive seen that fella around before

Just say my first placard.
    Couldn't see what it said, though.
    Middle aged woman, kina hippish.

That’s just someone being a bit dramatic cos they saw a petrol can to be fair, im fairly certain ive seen that fella around before

Agreed - but just goes to show how quickly misinformation can & will spread. We have the context in this thread from the beer &/or seeing him about, whereas others won't and would jump to the worst conclusion.

----

Dukes is closing early.

The Banks of the Lee walk (opp Mercy) has a Garda presence.

Back home in time anyhow.

No Garda presence at the bottom of Shandon Street atm.
    They are stopping and checking cars on The North Mall, though. Both directions.

• Advertisement

After the guidance to stay away from this I can only imagine certain cohorts attending.
    Checkpoints on m7 to deter/stop folk on a big trouble making day out to Cork.
    Port Laois & Cashel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭kub

Dunnes almost completely boarded up now.
    Haven't seen any other businesses doing this.

I am sure Dunnes can remember very well what occurred in JD Sports not so long ago and that was during a time when Garda national resources were not allocated to the city center.

Gardai confirm man was arrested for failing to comply under the health act

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

It really is rich of the Lord Mayor to claim today to be a superspreader event when his council has fiercely fought against doing literally anything to make town safer at pedestrian bottle necks such as Castle St and Oliver Plunkett St.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

User142 wrote: »
    It really is rich of the Lord Mayor to claim today to be a superspreader event when his council has viscously fought against doing literally anything to make town safer at pedestrian bottle necks such as Castle St and Oliver Plunkett St.

That corner of Castle Street is extremely busy. Traffic should not be allowed there.

User142 wrote: »
    It really is rich of the Lord Mayor to claim today to be a superspreader event when his council has fiercely fought against doing literally anything to make town safer at pedestrian bottle necks such as Castle St and Oliver Plunkett St.

I'm not sure that a single person has contracted covid from passing someone on the street.

I'm all for making the city more pedestrian friendly, in a big way but I don't really see it as covid related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Gardai confirm man was arrested for failing to comply under the health act
    https://twitter.com/Ireunderworld/status/1368186410264592388

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kub wrote: »
    I am sure Dunnes can remember very well what occurred in JD Sports not so long ago and that was during a time when Garda national resources were not allocated to the city center.
    I thought nothing happened in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    That corner of Castle Street is extremely busy. Traffic should not be allowed there.

We can't do anything about it though because apparently the vast majority of Cork people need access to the heart of the city centre in order to lug the very heavy purchases we all regularly make back to their cars... Or so the councilors seem to argue.

Their response to Covid has been to do as little as possible. They told us Castle St would be pedestrianised and then just didn't. So the council should sit down and be quiet today about the risks of people being standing near to each other outdoors during Covid.

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-city-set-to-pedestrianise-streets-and-increase-cycle-paths-1.4258038

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I'm not sure that a single person has contracted covid from passing someone on the street.

I'm all for making the city more pedestrian friendly, in a big way but I don't really see it as covid related.

I agree but it's more in people's minds, I've seen elderly people fall over themselves to jump into doorways or stumble onto the road to avoid people on narrow paths.

• Advertisement

Uhhhhhhhhhm.... what are they doing there

https://twitter.com/FionaRedFM/status/1368195893934034955?s=20

I'd estimate are 300 - 400 people gathered now outside BT. No real sense of tension.
    Visible but not heavy Garda presence.
    Gards seem calm.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Garda helicopter is out and about now.

Weird having the helicopter over head.

I'd estimate are 300 - 400 people gathered now outside BT. No real sense of tension.
    Visible but not heavy Garda presence.
    Gards seem calm.

Are you there TBR?
    Seems like a big enough turnout.

Maylor Street and Winthrop Street closed off.
    I haven't seen any other movement restrictions.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Are you there TBR?
    Seems like a big enough turnout.

Yes. Not in it. I'm near Eason.
    Big enough, alright but calm so far.
    No attempts at moving people on atm.
    It's quiet where I am. I'm not close to people.
    First sign of trouble and I'm out of here.

• Advertisement

Looks pretty calm on the Cork Beo livestream, lots of older people there

Advertisement