Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Cork People-Before-Profit, Coveny, SF TDs add to the appeals for people not to attend. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40238966.html

When every major political group is either for the status quo of lockdowns or more restrictions, you can see why people can get swept up in fringe movements. No political grouping (bar maybe Aontú) are actively challenging the restrictions. People who are aggrieved have no one in the Dáil (besides Independents here or there) representing them.

Or maybe, when none of the above agree with you in any way, you are actually the one in the wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I know it's literally just starting, but compared to Dublin, the people aren't being held back from a particular point (i.e. St Stephen's Green) which only heightened tensions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That poster isn't the best look for the organisers.

https://twitter.com/noelbaker1/status/1368196149719539713?s=19

Looks very peaceful, media won't be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm quite surprised at the demographic there to be honest, lots of older people, few families

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Fair play to the lot of of them. Can't be there but I hope it goes well. Shameful having that helicopter flying around trying to intimidate people during a peaceful protest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Lot of people not wearing masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Plenty of gardaí there to deal with any trouble but it doesn't look like there'll be any bother.

I wonder if this protest passes peacfully would it make it more likely for another one to be organised in the future, if severe restrictions continue when groups of people believe they shouldn't.

Gamb!t wrote: »

Equally, a lot more wearing them given the crowd at it and what they're protesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Gamb!t wrote: »

That's to be expected really as some people would equate the restrictions with mask wearing.

I have seen a few wearing them but the majority of people aren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Fair play to the lot of of them. Can't be there but I hope it goes well. Shameful having that helicopter flying around trying to intimidate people during a peaceful protest.

How does a helicopter intimidate people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nothing to report here.
    Crowd grown somewhat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Equally, a lot more wearing them given the crowd at it and what they're protesting.

That's how you can tell the difference between people who wanted to see how many went to protest and the actual protestors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd say they were wetting themselves when the far right fascist bomber was arrested..

Screenshot-20210306-135619-2.jpg

https://mobile.twitter.com/RobertBohan/status/1368176488525217799

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Balmed Out wrote: »
    That's how you can tell the difference between people who wanted to see how many went to protest and the actual protestors

Or you know there are people who are anti some restrictions but can understand why we'd wear masks and social distance still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Have I missed something here, listening to that speech, unnecessary lockdown, why is it unnecessary?

Dan Dare wrote: »
    Have I missed something here, listening to that speech, unnecessary lockdown, why is it unnecessary?
    Some would argue for regional lockdowns as Dublin drives the majority of our figures atm

How does a helicopter intimidate people?

It creates the impression for anybody on the fence that what these people are doing is uncontroversially dangerous and wrong and that just being in attendance may present some risk for your wellbeing.

The helicopter is over the top. Everyone knows it is there to intimidate. There are plenty of guards on the ground. Sure didn't forty or so of them arrest a musician earlier.

Red FM estimating the turnout at around 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sure didn't forty or so of them arrest a musician earlier.

5 or 6 guards arrested him.
    He wasn't a musician.
    There were more guards around.

The organiser, O Cadhla, is now speaking.

https://twitter.com/fiona96fmnews/status/1368208913145991172

Seems a lot less looney tune in Cork than it did in Dublin anyway. At least O'Cadhla recognised distancing and masks, to be fair. Not out to cause trouble.

There are always a fair few good looking babes at these lockdown protests.

Is the event deemed illegal under L5 restrictions?

If so, is that unconstitutional, as argued by one of the speakers at the event?

Seems a lot less looney tune in Cork than it did in Dublin anyway. At least O'Cadhla recognised distancing and masks, to be fair. Not out to cause trouble.

Is social distancing being adhered to? It's hard to tell from the footage.

He also said wear a mask if you wish, certainly not encouraging it, which is advised in crowded areas outdoors.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is the event deemed illegal under L5 restrictions?

If so, is that unconstitutional, as argued by one of the speakers at the event?

Organising it is prohibited under the COVID health regulations, but prosecution for it will take months (see Golfgate).

The constitutionality has been challenged in court, and that challenge (and appeal) have been rejected. Unhelpfully, the challenge was taken by Gemma O'Doherty & John Waters.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Is social distancing being adhered to? It's hard to tell from the footage.

He also said wear a mask if you wish, certainly not encouraging it, which is advised in crowded areas outdoors.
    As I said, compared to the ridiculous events in Dublin, it looks way more peaceful and respectful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Is the generally disheveled look intentional? The water cannon might have served a double purpose here.

• Advertisement

As I said, compared to the ridiculous events in Dublin, it looks way more peaceful and respectful.

Was same with Cork protests before Christmas. Mixed crowd, all ages, plenty of women, entirely peaceful, if anything, more hippyish than right-wing.

Advertisement