Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You'd probably have a hard time prosecuting on protests being illegal when they've let many go over the last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

It creates the impression for anybody on the fence that what these people are doing is uncontroversially dangerous and wrong and that just being in attendance may present some risk for your wellbeing.

The helicopter is over the top. Everyone knows it is there to intimidate. There are plenty of guards on the ground. Sure didn't forty or so of them arrest a musician earlier.

That's not the role of the helicopter at all. It's not flying above to intimidate people at all.

And just being in attendance is a risk. Because, you know, a large gathering of people. In case you haven't noticed yet, there's a pandemic going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

titan18 wrote: »
    You'd probably have a hard time prosecuting on protests being illegal when they've let many go over the last year.
    Yeah they'd only be able to realistically prosecute if the Gardai requested them to leave. The Gards have catered for it though so it's allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Seems like they're wrapping up.

I wonder will they try to storm the GPO lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Seemed to go relatively peaceful in the end? Not much social distancing on view unfortunately, hopefully there's not a spike in cases afterwards.

Stark wrote: »
    Seemed to go relatively peaceful in the end? Not much social distancing on view unfortunately, hopefully there's not a spike in cases afterwards.

Fortunately, cases are so low in the community (due to the lockdown, ironically), I would think it highly unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have a far-right acquaintance who keeps exhibiting the summer BLM protests as "proof" that large outdoor gatherings don't result in spikes in cases despite there being single digit case numbers for the entire country at the time so very high probability no-one at the march was carrying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I dunno, I left maybe 10 minutes ago and there was no real sign of wrapping up.
    The national anthem didn't appear to me to be an ending.
    Someone also sang our father as gaeilge

Their pa was terrible. I couldn't hear a word of the speeches. Was able to just about discern the tunes of these songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭TheBetsy

Glad it went well. Would be very happy to attend a future one based on how it went today with the lack of idiocy compared to dublin and I know many other people who would be in the same boat.

Whatever happened to dealing with this on a regional basis? Nonsensical to be lumping Cork with our incidence rate now below 60 into the same category as the dubs and the border counties where the virus is much more prevalent

• Advertisement

Someone also sang our father as gaeilge

Oh, that brings back memories.
    *shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

mental eh?! people out protesting against the lock down and then no doubt some of them will be running off for a covid test or worst case scenario, to a hospital looking for medical intervention... huh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Have a far-right acquaintance who keeps exhibiting the summer BLM protests as "proof" that large outdoor gatherings don't result in spikes in cases despite there being single digit case numbers for the entire country at the time so very high probability no-one at the march was carrying it.

If these people are anti-everything, would they even go for a test? Because they're just adding to the numbers and they don't want that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Don't think our numbers will stay low after this unfortunately. Not a mask in sight.

namloc1980 wrote: »

Don't think our numbers will stay low after this unfortunately. Not a mask in sight.

We said the same thing when BLM protested and tbf, numbers didn't jump considerably.

Granted, there were few masks & little distance, but we're also coming from an exceptionally low base in Cork. Our incidence is something like 60/100,000. I know it only takes a couple for it to fire back up, but we need to be realistic here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We said the same thing when BLM protested and tbf, numbers didn't jump considerably.

Granted, there were few masks & little distance, but we're also coming from an exceptionally low base in Cork. Our incidence is something like 60/100,000. I know it only takes a couple for it to fire back up, but we need to be realistic here.

Let's wait and see. The fact there was no social distancing or masks makes this very different to BLM. A lot of "Covid is a hoax" sentiment in that crowd I think.

Let's wait and see. The fact there was no social distancing or masks makes this very different to BLM. A lot of "Covid is a hoax" sentiment in that crowd I think.

I know. I said that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Compared to Blanchardstown it was a lot better and we didn't get any reports of that leading to a mass spread

titan18 wrote: »
    Compared to Blanchardstown it was a lot better and we didn't get any reports of that leading to a mass spread

Theres very little risk outside masks or no masks, thats scientifically proven. The issue today was the risk of violence but that hasn’t come to pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I wonder will they try to storm the GPO lol!

Feck I've a load on important letters I posted on Friday :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

It's kind of ironic that of the good few thousand people who are marching for Irelands freedom, about 10 of them knew the national anthem.

.red. wrote: »
    It's kind of ironic that of the good few thousand people who are marching for Irelands freedom, about 10 of them knew the national anthem.

I'd say it was in the hundreds rather than the thousands.
    600 ish, I'd say.
    (not claiming any accuracy, here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I'd say it was in the hundreds rather than the thousands.
    600 ish, I'd say.
    (not claiming any accuracy, here)

Prendeville put “upwards of a 1000” on twitter ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

I see RTE or whomever didn't pay anyone to attend with mispelled reptilian hoodies this time.

very few protesting and no trouble thankfully.

TheBetsy wrote: »
    G......

Whatever happened to dealing with this on a regional basis? Nonsensical to be lumping Cork with our incidence rate now below 60 into the same category as the dubs and the border counties where the virus is much more prevalent

Indeed. We should go back to that.
    I've west cork staycation booked for May :pac:

Prendeville put “upwards of a 1000” on twitter ffs

My estimate was between the two.

I was imagining the contents of a full Sir Henry's emptied onto the street which is around 600.

• Advertisement

Advertisement