Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

My estimate was between the two.

I was imagining the contents of a full Sir Henry's emptied onto the street which is around 600.

Ah, memories.
    *smiles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I see RTE or whomever didn't pay anyone to attend with mispelled reptilian hoodies this time.

RTE or whomever? Surely you should have all the 'research' done on whatever the conspiracy is surely?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good to see a protest. I fully expect all restrictions will now immediately be abolished. Well done to everyone involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Good to see a protest. I fully expect all restrictions will now immediately be abolished. Well done to everyone involved!

Yes, well done patriots. Covid has now f***ed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

Yes, well done patriots. Covid has now f***ed off.

Invasion of Iraq still happened despite protests but those who protested can and always will be able to hold their heads high.

You? I reckon you've never protested anything in your life. Too frightened of being embarrassed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Invasion of Iraq still happened despite protests but those who protested can and always will be able to hold their heads high.

You? I reckon you've never protested anything in your life. Too frightened of being embarrassed.

You tellem. Stick it to the man!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Glad it was peaceful. God knows what 96fm and NP will fill their airwaves with now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Video going around now of Gardai arresting two people on a bus travelling to a grave somewhere in Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

24 additional cases in Cork today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Pen Rua wrote: »

So one performer arrested, one in North cork, one in Kerry, 2 in Kildare and one other it says at the rally (but the other wasn't so who knows if that's correct). They're really stretching to say all of those were due to the protest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

titan18 wrote: »
    So one performer arrested, one in North cork, one in Kerry, 2 in Kildare and one other it says at the rally (but the other wasn't so who knows if that's correct). They're really stretching to say all of those were due to the protest

Presumably they are “in connection” to the protest as they were en route to the protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

24 additional cases in Cork today

Still bottom of the pile

Cork doing very well

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Presumably they are “in connection” to the protest as they were en route to the protest?

Its a bit of a stretch imo, and it's also pretty bad you can get arrested for going to a protest (they don't really arrest people for going over 5k just fine people).

With the video of the people being taken off a bus for going to a grave (marked as an acceptable reason to travel), it's clear the guards are going way too heavy handed today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I'd like to think 'educated' more than 'frightened'. But you are right that I've never protested. I've never felt the need.

However, if I was to protest, I'd like to think that it wouldn't be counter-productive to my actual goal. That would be a first principle.

These are the dregs of society who have basically failed at life. This gives them sense of control and a faux-one-upmanship over the people who've accepted that restrictions are a means to fix this problem more effectively (and ironically more quickly) than the alternative.

As for your Iraq comment, I haven't a notion what the relevance of that is. People protesting against a war would be seen to be protesting against unnecessary deaths. Surely this is the opposite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭.red.

My estimate was between the two.

I was imagining the contents of a full Sir Henry's emptied onto the street which is around 600.

A lot less ****e talk spouted by the 600 Henry's heads tho.
    The photos made it look much bigger, probably 1000 at an absolute max from the aerial pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It seemed an all sorts kind of protest and not just 'anti-lockdown'. Student nurses signs, 'Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil' signs (whatever the hell that is for), someone with a weird combo of bad Fine Gael/transphobic sign there as well.

I can understand (barely) people going for purely frustration at the lockdowns, but don't be naive to think that's what it was just for, and please don't roll out the 'we're patriots' drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Video going around now of Gardai arresting two people on a bus travelling to a grave somewhere in Cork.

I thought that was allowed? I'm guessing there was more to the story than that (presumably traveling to the protest and lied about the grave) but the law doesn't really specify what the circumstances should be for visiting a grave. Funnily enough, last time I spoke to my parents, they were traveling across the city to visit my grandfather's grave for his anniversary.

Stark wrote: »
    I thought that was allowed? I'm guessing there was more to the story than that (presumably traveling to the protest and lied about the grave) but the law doesn't really specify what the circumstances should be for visiting a grave. Funnily enough, last time I spoke to my parents, they were traveling across the city to visit my grandfather's grave for his anniversary.

In the video, he says they have flowers and they're going to graveyard in Ovens. How would you prove you're actually going to a grave anyway unless they follow you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Invasion of Iraq still happened despite protests

Protesting the COVID lockdowns with a mass gathering would have been like protesting the Iraq invasion by donating to the US Military.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

what's the story about the busker who was arrested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

sporina wrote: »

Crimes against music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought that travel reason was allowed

sporina wrote: »

Is he the street entertainer with a petrol can that 6 or 7 Gardai were on top of, that's the picture and information I saw going around :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Crimes against music.

They could round up another few dozen on those grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet (on a zoom drinks meeting with friends, oh the pandemic joys) but apparently this gives more context on the grave thing https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=4086768458078602&id=2241595839262549

Edit: so got to watch it. Gardaí took his name and told him "okay we'll take you at face value but you're only allowed visit the grave, you're not allowed visit the protest on your way". An hour later, the guy livestreams himself at the protest :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's interesting how the instant narrative is, "people arrested on the way to visit grave",
    rather than, "people arrested for breach of restrictions claim they are visiting a grave"

Just like almost everyone else, I don't know the truth of the matter, but it is interesting how these videos are talked about..

Cape Clear wrote: »
    They could round up another few dozen on those grounds.

The Dirty Music Dozen :P

I travellled through 3 checkpoints today, motorway ones, port laoise, Cashel & before Glanmire. No problem at any of them but AGS were no doubt there in relation to today's protest. Anyone arrested no doubt deserved it.

• Advertisement

I suppose how can you prove this to Gardai, if it went to court with a fine you would surely

Advertisement