Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cape Clear wrote: »
    They could round up another few dozen on those grounds.

The evil maniac in me did have secret fantasies about a certain busker group that play music loudly and not to my taste being silenced as I watched a bunch of Gardaí take down a street performer.
    I thought, if they can stop him twirling fire, they can stop those fcukers loudly murdering okayish country songs!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I suppose how can you prove this to Gardai, if it went to court with a fine you would surely

It's only folk claiming they are going to graves..... Zero credibility. Lock em up and stop their PUP or dole IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Cape Clear wrote: »
    They could round up another few dozen on those grounds.
    And the echo lad. But then again, where does it stop??

Augeo wrote: »
    I travellled through 3 checkpoints today, motorway ones, port laoise, Cashel & before Glanmire. No problem at any of them but AGS were no doubt there in relation to today's protest. Anyone arrested no doubt deserved it.

On the three or four occasions I've taken that bit of the motorway over the last month or so, there's been a checkpoint at the Glanmire exit.
    That one is always there from my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭Timing belt

On the three or four occasions I've taken that bit of the motorway over the last month or so, there's been a checkpoint at the Glanmire exit.
    That one is always there from my experience.

The Glanmire checkpoint has been the only one that takes you off the motorway. I have seen others but you would need to exit on a off ramp to meet them so would not be stopped travelling from Dublin to Cork. The only other checkpoint on the route that was semi-permanent was the one on the N7 when leaving Dublin but have not seen that active since January.

• Advertisement

The Glanmire checkpoint has been the only one that takes you off the motorway. I have seen others but you would need to exit on a off ramp .....ive since January.

Today the glanmire set up was the style near Port Laois & Cashel.... Roads closed, cones etc... Up ramp

I've travelled a few times in February and no glanmire checkpoint either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's only folk claiming they are going to graves..... Zero credibility. Lock em up and stop their PUP or dole IMO.

If you were attempt to lock everyone up who breaks the 5km restriction, this country would fall apart (even more so than it is).

titan18 wrote: »
    If you were attempt to lock everyone up who breaks the 5km restriction, this country would fall apart (even more so than it is).

That's not what I was suggesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

'tis merely a signal, stay at home as much ye can. Bit of common sense is all that's required.

Today the glanmire set up was the style near Port Laois & Cashel.... Roads closed, cones etc... Up ramp

I've travelled a few times in February and no glanmire checkpoint either

Not disclaiming your prior experience but that's the way I've found i
    the Glanmire section anytime I've passed that way in the same time period. No choice but to exit motorway. I queued for 25 minutes one evening a month ago. I avoid the motorway, mostly but went that way yesterday and was forced off the motorway with minimal delay.
    I've yet to pass there without a stop since January.
    I assumed that was a semi permanent setup atm.
    Cones are easily moved, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I went down to have a look earlier, the so called large crowd where mostly just people like me bored and having a nose, I'd honestly say about 100 people we actual protestors. Pretty poor support for it, even the gaurds looked bored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Well I’m just glad RTE didn’t get the headlines that they were so desperately hoping for. Good turn out n no violence , couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

TheDriver wrote: »
    And the echo lad. But then again, where does it stop??

By the GPO, that's an institutional part of Cork, the Echo boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

rob316 wrote: »
    I went down to have a look earlier, the so called large crowd where mostly just people like me bored and having a nose, I'd honestly say about 100 people we actual protestors. Pretty poor support for it, even the gaurds looked bored.

Any hope of support was ruined by the violence last week.

rob316 wrote: »

This is contrary to what I saw, to what the media saw and to what an Gardaí saw.
    It was extremely clear to me who was having a gander and who was protesting by where people were positioned.
    I'd agree that the guards all seemed calm as there was no sense of tension or trouble.

If an Gardaí tried to stop this gathering, things could have been very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is he the street entertainer with a petrol can that 6 or 7 Gardai were on top of, that's the picture and information I saw going around :o

What kind of eejit has a petrol can on him before a controversial protest is going to kick off and think guards will be ok with that? Is his brain functioning at all?

What kind of eejit has a petrol can on him before a controversial protest is going to kick off and think guards will be ok with that? Is his brain functioning at all?

I'm assuming that he had the option to simply fcuk off but he chose not to take it.

I thought the guards dealt with him in a professional manner, from what I saw. Minimal force, in my inexpert opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://twitter.com/newsbrandsirl/status/1368491076961583104

The (peaceful) event doesn't make a single front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Any checkpoints on the way to Ringaskiddy?
    Asking for a friend.
    No, but a patrol car came in and circled and then left. got the impression they were not too interested,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

One thing I really don't like about these protestors is how they are abusing our flag! Really annoys me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

sporina wrote: »
    One thing I really don't like about these protestors is how they are abusing our flag! Really annoys me!
    Don't know if I'd say abusing our flag. Our flag is generally associated with speaking up for things you believe in and having the right to say what you want to say.
    These people disagree, and they've the right to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Don't know if I'd say abusing our flag. Our flag is generally associated with speaking up for things you believe in and having the right to say what you want to say.
    These people disagree, and they've the right to do so.
    It has got to the point that if I see someone waving a tricolour in the street I think, "christ here comes a mentler". Maybe it's the lack of Paddys day and crowds at sports, it's no longer associated with reasonable people.

This is contrary to what I saw, to what the media saw and to what an Gardaí saw.
    It was extremely clear to me who was having a gander and who was protesting by where people were positioned.
    I'd agree that the guards all seemed calm as there was no sense of tension or trouble.

If an Gardaí tried to stop this gathering, things could have been very different.

Pick out the people who weren't wearing masks and cheering. Very few

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

TheChizler wrote: »
    It has got to the point that if I see someone waving a tricolour in the street I think, "christ here comes a mentler". Maybe it's the lack of Paddys day and crowds at sports, it's no longer associated with reasonable people.
    The tricolour was born out of violence so that's not really surprising

And I'm not sure what's worse, these pointless protests or the people that go around saying "omg dopes watch the cases soar now". Reality is there will be no effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

The flag will very quickly morph into the way many national flags have in Europe & elsewhere - being associated with ultra nationalism.

We had a period, particularly after Italia 90 where the tricolour was associated largely with fun and positive vibes. You can feel that changing towards the flag being used as a symbol that’s being associated with right wing groups & identity politics.

If you go back pre 1990 the flag wasn’t used as much as it tended to be associated with strongly political statement.

I even heard someone second guessing buying green tops with very Irish slogans for paddy’s day in case they’re seen as part of that emergent Irish version of MAGA.

It’s sad to see, but that’s what’s happening. I think a lack of Patrick’s Day two years in a row is also fermenting it even further as there’s been no positive use of those symbols now since 2019 and the loopers with their little tricolours on their Twitter profiles, while preaching nasty online are growing in number.

We really do need to reclaim the flag and plenty of other symbols that are being claimed by these groups tbh.

I don't know but is fire part of his act

I do agree stupid going ahead on a protest day, take a day off for him

I assume it was really only 1 or 2 protest arrests the other 3 or 4 travel breaking restrictions arrests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The thing about the flag is the 'status' a lot of these protesters think they have. This 'patriot' rubbish, the flag has become entwined with that. A lot of them would hardly know a jot about Irish history, the same folk who emblazon their twitter profile with the tricolour, and unfortunately plenty of the 'Ireland for the Irish' folk there. Usually see them crawl out of their cave whenever a black Irish athlete or musician achieve something, see Denise Chaila during the week.

Re: Covid, would be nice to see the numbers down to around 200-300 consistently this week. All other indicators look good, but I guess good for the positive mood if those numbers come down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

14 in Cork today

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    14 in Cork today

525 cases 3 deaths RIP

•271 are men / 254 are women
    •74% are under 45 years of age
    •The median age is 31 years old
    •214 in Dublin, 37 in Meath, 28 in Offaly, 28 in Limerick and 25 in Wicklow and the remaining 193 cases are spread across 19 other counties with Cork 14

Advertisement