Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

I reckon they'll have Dublin restrictions at a higher level than much of the country in April, May perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon they'll have Dublin restrictions at a higher level than much of the country in April, May perhaps.
    I don't think there's any chance in hell of that happening tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Augeo wrote: »

This is the frustrating part. Why aren't they telling us more about the spread of the disease? Cork is consistently low along with neighbouring counties.

TheDriver wrote: »
    This is the frustrating part. Why aren't they telling us more about the spread of the disease? Cork is consistently low along with neighbouring counties.
    They'll just blame Dublin on population and density, same excuses all the time. We're going to get to a stage where the rest of the country is doing okay and Dublin is still doing bad. It's happened before and will happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I don't think there's any chance in hell of that happening tbh

Unfortunately, I think the same. I imagine outdoor sport and dining will open up nationwide next month. But I don't see any further relaxation until the whole country can be opened up to same level. Dublin will drag down everywhere else for a while yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Typical nothing exists outside of Dublin attitude in everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

TheChizler wrote: »
    It has got to the point that if I see someone waving a tricolour in the street I think, "christ here comes a mentler". Maybe it's the lack of Paddys day and crowds at sports, it's no longer associated with reasonable people.

So a person can’t be proud of their country or heritage? Jesus this country really is a f*cking joke where u can’t even wave your national flag without been called a nutcase. Actually pretty sick thinking to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

fin12 wrote: »
    So a person can’t be proud of their country or heritage? Jesus this country really is a f*cking joke where u can’t even wave your national flag without been called a nutcase. Actually pretty sick thinking to be honest.
    Nope I'm saying the opposite, it's a pity people aren't waving it in a manner becoming of our history and heritage because it seems like the only ones doing it these days are the nutcases.

Anyway gone off topic.

Nope I'm saying the opposite, it's a pity people aren't waving it in a manner becoming of our history and heritage because it seems like the only ones doing it these days are the nutcases.

Anyway gone off topic.

But that’s ur opinion of what happened yday. As far as I’m concerned I’m proud so I’ve a right to wave that flag wherever , whenever without being labeled a nutcase.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

TheDriver wrote: »

I don't think I've ever witnessed such a shambolic case of mismanagement of a situation as we have now from this FFFG government. The lack of leadership and communication is astounding.

The likes of Martin, Donnelly and Foley are so far out of their depth, it's embarrassing.

There is no outside the box thinking. They just seem to be unable to think. They aren't capable. They are thick stupid.

Anyone in Cork who voted for Martin should hang their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is many passing in and out of Dublin Airport still?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anyway gone off topic.

It's sad that these days when there's an Irish flag emoji next to someone's name online, it's usually a dog whistle to show that the person's a racist.

St. Patrick's day festival on Twitter went so far as to say they were reclaiming the flag from those people.

https://twitter.com/stpatricksfest/status/1360581858237575169

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Mardyke wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever witnessed such a shambolic case of mismanagement of a situation as we have now from this FFFG government. The lack of leadership and communication is astounding.

The likes of Martin, Donnelly and Foley are so far out of their depth, it's embarrassing.

There is no outside the box thinking. They just seem to be unable to think. They aren't capable. They are thick stupid.

Anyone in Cork who voted for Martin should hang their heads.

I would always be the first to criticise politicians, but calling them "thick stupid", saying they are "unable to think" and "aren't capable" are low blows.

Being a politician has to be one of the most thankless jobs an individual can do.

I have no doubt that each of the 3 politicians you name checked are pulling fierce hours trying to work to resolve the problems in their departments (which just happen to be the most challenging departments you could land with - and two of them are first time Ministers). I have no doubt that they are working tirelessly, and then they get lambasted for their pay.

This Govt (and the previous) are working through a once-in-a-generation event. No one knew (or knows) how to manage this pandemic. Not many other (European) Govts are doing much better than us. They've acknowledge the communication is lousy. I think they are learning from the mistakes at Christmas, hence the much longer round of restrictions this time.

I'm not saying don't criticize them, just have some perspective.

I sincerely doubt any of us in this thread would be able to do a better job than this Govt, even with all our wisdom and knowledge as expressed in this thread

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

The bobs these muppets are on for their shambolic behaviour and nepotism is embarrassing -totally out of their depth no strategy -worst taoiseach Ive ever witnessed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I would always be the first to criticise politicians, but calling them "thick stupid", saying they are "unable to think" and "aren't capable" are low blows.

Being a politician has to be one of the most thankless jobs an individual can do.

I have no doubt that each of the 3 politicians you name checked are pulling fierce hours trying to work to resolve the problems in their departments (which just happen to be the most challenging departments you could land with - and two of them are first time Ministers). I have no doubt that they are working tirelessly, and then they get lambasted for their pay.

This Govt (and the previous) are working through a once-in-a-generation event. No one knew (or knows) how to manage this pandemic. Not many other (European) Govts are doing much better than us. They've acknowledge the communication is lousy. I think they are learning from the mistakes at Christmas, hence the much longer round of restrictions this time.

I sincerely doubt any of us in this thread would be able to do a better job than this Govt, even with all our wisdom and knowledge as expressed in this thread

you got rid of your its a thankless job for them so- well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

you got rid of your its a thankless job for them so- well done

Enlightening contribution.

Back to Cork specific news.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40239752.html Gardaí commenting on house parties across the city, as well as the group of kids gathering in Ballincolig.

South Infirmary has administered its 10,000th vaccine. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40239674.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I’d say tbh the main reason Cork is staying relatively low is that it’s very self contained.

Not that many people need to travel in/out of the region for work as, other than Dublin it’s the only region in the state that is over 1/2 million. Most commuting for example is in and out of Cork City, not to Dublin.

That’s coupled with the, unfortunate reality in many ways, that traffic in and out of Cork airport is basically stopped entirely.

I think that is likely protecting us at the moment. Dublin has a different dynamic and is more connected nationally due to is geographical position and still remains as a gateway in for flights.

We are actually very cut off at the moment but, it’s not necessarily a negative right now.

Even with that protest at the weekend, it proved quite difficult for anyone who tried to get here from other parts of the country not to be turned back before they got anywhere near the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Stark wrote: »
    It's sad that these days when there's an Irish flag emoji next to someone's name online, it's usually a dog whistle to show that the person's a racist.

Sigh I put a small flag in one of my windows when this all kicked off last year just to try & show a bit solarity. Better remove that so as certainly don't want to flagging myself as the local racist :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pen Rua wrote: »

This is a view not often expressed but I, and I have no doubt, many others share it 100 %
    Blaming the government for everything is a very well trodden path and the proponents of it tend to shout much louder than the rest of us.

And this is coming from someone who had never voted for FF or FG in my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is many passing in and out of Dublin Airport still?
    Plenty of the wrong kind of activity at Shannon, Covid-19 rules don't apply :mad:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40239515.html

• Advertisement

bogman wrote: »
    Plenty of the wrong kind of activity at Shannon, Covid-19 rules don't apply :mad:
    Ridiculous for those to still be happening even without COVID but that's another story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,094 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

bogman wrote: »

Meehole probably greets them with shamrock shakes :P

I wish the government could give more honest coherent information to the public and be on the same page as each say something different no wonder then people are angry and frustrated, I felt more confident in Leo and Harris

This is a view not often expressed but I, and I have no doubt, many others share it 100 %
    Blaming the government for everything is a very well trodden path and the proponents of it tend to shout much louder than the rest of us.

And this is coming from someone who had never voted for FF or FG in my life!

No offense but didn’t u say ur in ur 50s? Someone in their 20s and 30s have a lot of things to be angry with this government and past ones about that if u aren’t in that age group more than likely aren’t going to be affected u.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fin12 wrote: »
    No offense but didn’t u say ur in ur 50s? Someone in their 20s and 30s have a lot of things to be angry with this government and past ones about that if u aren’t in that age group more than likely aren’t going to be affected u.

LOL, I'm too old to have an opinion on how a pandemic should be managed.:D:D:D:D

Perhaps I shouldn't have had a vote in the 8th amendment ref because I'm not a woman>
    Maybe only gay people should have been allowed vote in the marriage ref??

I 100% accept that this has affected me in less negative ways than many other cohorts. I've already said here that I think younger people should get the vaccine before my age group. I am not an insular thinker.

To be honest, I find your comment too stupid to even be offensive.

LOL, I'm too old to have an opinion on how a pandemic should be managed.:D:D:D:D

Perhaps I shouldn't have had a vote in the 8th amendment ref because I'm not a woman>
    Maybe only gay people should have been allowed vote in the marriage ref??

I 100% accept that this has affected me in less negative ways than many other cohorts. I've already said here that I think younger people should get the vaccine before my age group. I am not an insular thinker.

To be honest, I find your comment too stupid to even be offensive.

Ur gone off on a complete tangent, like the last nonsense u posted about tax to my other post. I’m talking about how the government has run this country in he last 10/20 , it certainly does not affect a 50 year old the same as it would in their 20/30s. The protests are a lot more than just the pandemic I can guarantee u that. People have had up to their necks with this government past and present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

https://twitter.com/ZaraKing/status/1368980987368136706

Cork <5 cases today

Brilliant to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

That’s great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

The bobs these muppets are on for their shambolic behaviour and nepotism is embarrassing -totally out of their depth no strategy -worst taoiseach Ive ever witnessed
    You try and do it so.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Might be a contentious issue - but I'm starting to think regional easing of restrictions might be a good idea. Here's why:

If you only do national restrictions, then reopening is dictated largely by the largest and worst affected areas. One county could have zero infections for days/weeks and it might not make a difference to the national re-opening. But if there were case targets (or positive test % targets) set, and any county that reaches and maintains that target starts re-opening, it could help with transparency and motivate people.

The downsides - it's hard to set targets given we might not know which variants most people have, and a smaller number of the more infectious variants is a bigger deal than a higher number of the original strain. And you have the issue of people leaving to go to counties with lower restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The flag will very quickly morph into the way many national flags have in Europe & elsewhere - being associated with ultra nationalism.

Which is a shame because anyone who self-identifies as an Irish Nationalist, as I do, should have the nation's well-being as their primary concern. Needless to say the vast majority of the attendees at the anti-[whatever] protests are more concerned with their own hobby-horse issue.

If this pandemic has proved anything it's that we simply cannot depend on people taking personal responsibility, as was so starkly displayed by that idiot who went on holiday, caught COVID-19, didn't self-isolate on return, and set off a cascade of infections in the City last year.

Advertisement