Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

sporina wrote: »
    spotted a gang of bikers on a pit stop down by The Lee Fields today.. not a mask between them - musta been about 20 of em.......

Outdoors so not the end of the world. Close contact is within 2m for 15 minutes indoors iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭sporina

Augeo wrote: »
    Outdoors so not the end of the world. Close contact is within 2m for 15 minutes indoors iirc.

if they are doing this outdoors.. I dread to think what they are doing indoors..
    I just want no's to go down so I can see my folks - not seen them since September as we live 3 hrs drive apart :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

if they are doing this outdoors.. I dread to think what they are doing indoors..
    I just want no's to go down so I can see my folks - not seen them since September as we live 3 hrs drive apart :mad:

People are meeting up outdoors near the Lee Fields, Fitz Park and Marina because they aren't meeting up indoors. If you demonize people for meeting outdoors despite it being extremely low risk you are literally driving people to meet up in the privacy of their homes.

Thats why I found it insane the Gards were down the Marina bugging people a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Probably from outside Cork too!

i'm not here to argue.. Im adhering to the restrictions - painful and all as that is.. TBH i'm not even that worried about myself - more concerned for others who are more vulnerable.. and I just want no's to go down.. so its frustrating when I see people flouting the restrictions.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

i'm not here to argue.. Im adhering to the restrictions - painful and all as that is.. TBH i'm not even that worried about myself - more concerned for others who are more vulnerable.. and I just want no's to go down.. so its frustrating when I see people flouting the restrictions.. :(
    Which restrictions did you see people flouting? (is that a word?) Just the size of the group?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Which restrictions did you see people flouting? (is that a word?) Just the size of the group?

afaik, your only suppose to meet people from 1 other household outdoors.. and yes flouting is a word

afaik, your only suppose to meet people from 1 other household outdoors.. and yes flouting is a word

Also travel over the 5Km.

Had a moment where I full on convinced myself I had made it up, didn't even realise I was quoting you, time for bed :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Dunnes are doing it with their "reserve and collect" but no one is protesting outside the shops, nor are the cops shutting them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭cantalach

spotted a gang of bikers on a pit stop down by The Lee Fields today.. not a mask between them - musta been about 20 of em - all young lads..

Do you mean bikers (motorbikes) or cyclists (bicycles)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was pretty shocked yesterday when I went into a café yesterday for a takeaway coffee to find 2 people sitting at a table, inside, having a grand chat and coffee.
    For some bizarre reason, their conversation switched to Irish when we came in.

This being a criminal matter, I don't think I should name the cafe here, but it was the first and last time in there for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not sure if this post is sarcasm or not ^^ Could have been the cafe's employees on their break. Though the switching to Irish probably means they were planning republican paramilitary activities.

Stark wrote: »
    Not sure if this post is sarcasm or not ^^ Could have been the cafe's employees on their break. Though the switching to Irish probably means they were planning republican paramilitary activities.

They were customers. No doubt in my mind about that.
    The switching conversion to Irish was just weird - like they thought it made them invisible, or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I think I've passed one or two cafes and have seen people sitting in, but they looked more to be staff / management / family of the owner or similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

The UK have given 11 million doses and have just 1 adverse clotting event. Recommend reading the vaccine thread for further discussion on this -> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058159465&page=323

I phrased that badly for sure. Personally I've zero concerns about the vaccine itself & would take it in a heartbeat if offered but seeing the move by NIAC from recommending AZ for over 70's late last week to cancelling it wholesale for a indeterminate period of time yesterday is sure to make people wary of the product itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I was pretty shocked yesterday when I went into a café yesterday for a takeaway coffee to find 2 people sitting at a table, inside, having a grand chat and coffee.
    For some bizarre reason, their conversation switched to Irish when we came in.

This being a criminal matter, I don't think I should name the cafe here, but it was the first and last time in there for me.

I’d like to go there especially the fact they were speaking Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They were customers. No doubt in my mind about that.
    The switching conversion to Irish was just weird - like they thought it made them invisible, or something.

Are you....are you a Foreigner.
    Foreigners can't understand other languages, you see.

Are you....are you a Foreigner.
    Foreigners can't understand other languages, you see.

No, but my wife has a "foreign" accent which they might well have picked up on.
    I'm local but my Irish would be pisspoor.

I've also seen what looks like staff in venues, too - it's usually pretty obvious that the place is closed to customers, though.
    This is the kind of cafe that would be staffed by one person, perhaps outside of lunch hour. These people definitely weren't staff They just weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Stark wrote: »

Did the gaeilgoirí have black paint on their hands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I don't mean to alarm you, but they're probably all having massive orgies every day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

No, but my wife has a "foreign" accent which they might well have picked up on.
    I'm local but my Irish would be pisspoor.

I've also seen what looks like staff in venues, too - it's usually pretty obvious that the place is closed to customers, though.
    This is the kind of cafe that would be staffed by one person, perhaps outside of lunch hour. These people definitely weren't staff They just weren't.

Are you saying that you and your wife go in to get a takeaway coffee, I know I should not answer as you are just looking for a reaction?

cantalach wrote: »
    Do you mean bikers (motorbikes) or cyclists (bicycles)?

bikers... as in motorbikes.. they wer all parked up, off their bikes and having a great ol' time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

bikers... as in motorbikes.. they wer all parked up, off their bikes and having a great ol' time..

Good for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Over 600,000 vaccines administered, as of Friday. Now at approximately 12.2 doses per 100 people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A "Reclaim the Streets" protest will take place in Cork on Thursday.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40244822.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    A RECLAIM the Streets protest will take place in Cork on Thursday to call for an end to gender-based violence.

The protest is one of five organised across the island by ROSA (for Reproductive rights, against Oppression, Sexism & Austerity) for this week, following the murder of British woman Sarah Everard after she had left a friend’s house in South London. Her body was found last week, almost a week after she went missing.

A serving police officer has been charged with her murder.

On Thursday afternoon, a protest will take place at 4pm on the Grand Parade, while similar events are planned for Dublin, Limerick, Galway and Belfast.

ROSA organisers have asked those attending to wear masks and practice social distancing.

“Wear masks & bring posters. People who can’t attend due to travel restrictions can watch online and post solidarity pictures or videos with #ReclaimTheStreets”

[...]

With the peaceful anti-lockdown / anti-restrictions protest having taken place without much interference, there is no precedent for the authorities to step in to halt this protest.

However, I very much doubt the Lord Mayor will be in the paper pleading for it not to go ahead, nor do I expect every politician and their brother to be calling for same, as they were prior to the protest of a couple of weeks ago.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    A "Reclaim the Streets" protest will take place in Cork on Thursday.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40244822.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

With the peaceful anti-lockdown / anti-restrictions protest having taken place without much interference, there is no precedent for the authorities to step in to halt this protest.

However, I very much doubt the Lord Mayor will be in the paper pleading for it not to go ahead, nor do I expect every politician and their brother to be calling for same, as they were prior to the protest of a couple of weeks ago.

This is not the time. Just getting Covis under control in Cork and this could set us back months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

After the events in London over the weekend I think this should happen tbh

saabsaab wrote: »
    This is not the time. Just getting Covis under control in Cork and this could set us back months?
    Not condoning it but numbers are so low at the moment the chances of even a single person at the protest having the virus, never mind transmitting it to someone else, aren't very likely.

We had 16 cases last I heard, say 10 times that have it so 160 infected (not necessarily infectious) in Cork who might go out of a city population of about 1000 times that. If 1000 show up maybe 1 person has the virus, and even then they might only give it to a handful of people, considering they're outside and mostly wearing masks I think that's pretty unlikely. Even if I'm way off in any of those assumptions it's small numbers, not a superspreader event.

Of course we should keep the guard up and it would be better if it didn't happen right now but I'm not going to worry about it.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not condoning it but numbers are so low at the moment the chances of even a single person at the protest having the virus, never mind transmitting it to someone else, aren't very likely.

We had 16 cases last I heard, say 10 times that have it so 160 infected (not necessarily infectious) in Cork who might go out of a city population of about 1000 times that. If 1000 show up maybe 1 person has the virus, and even then they might only give it to a handful of people, considering they're outside and mostly wearing masks I think that's pretty unlikely. Even if I'm way off in any of those assumptions it's small numbers, not a superspreader event.

Of course we should keep the guard up and it would be better if it didn't happen right now
    but I'm not going to worry about it.

Agree with that but how many will come from outside Cork?

Advertisement