Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

22 cases in Cork today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

22 in Cork today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cork, with a dense city, several third level institutions, multiple hospitals, several meat plants, an airport and a ferryport has the 4th lowest incidence rate in the country. Longford and Offaly have 7 times as much incidence.

There needs to be regionalised focus on this now. If the measures in Cork can work in Cork they can work anywhere. If Cork was an indicator of the rest of the country Ireland would be reporting an average of 140 cases per day over the last 2 weeks. There needs to be clear focus on these county outbreaks rather than plauging the country as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

marno21 wrote: »
    Cork, with a dense city, several third level institutions, multiple hospitals, several meat plants, an airport and a ferryport has the 4th lowest incidence rate in the country. Longford and Offaly have 7 times as much incidence.

There needs to be regionalised focus on this now. If the measures in Cork can work in Cork they can work anywhere. If Cork was an indicator of the rest of the country Ireland would be reporting an average of 140 cases per day over the last 2 weeks. There needs to be clear focus on these county outbreaks rather than plauging the country as a whole.

I agree but I just know that there’d be people who’d want to get into electoral areas and even smaller. I don’t like the lockdown of the whole country for long periods of time, but honestly the other way would potentially cause more people to get pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

marno21 wrote: »

Well said. I wonder why the kite flying for regionalized lockdown hasn’t even begun tho?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

22 cases in Cork today
    KrustyUCC wrote: »
    22 in Cork today

Of the 575 cases notified today:
    •289 are men / 282 are women
    •73% are under 45 years of age
    •The median age is 30 years old
    •232 in Dublin, 48 in Meath, 41 in Tipperary, 38 in Kildare, 30 in Galway and the remaining 186 cases are spread across 20 other counties.

0 deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Did that water canon ever arrive?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Did that water canon ever arrive?

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I hear it's going to be very warm the day of the protest so no need for any of the protestors to wear jumpers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Zardoz

saabsaab wrote: »
    MM is a Cork Taoiseach!

Ivan Yates said that he and Leo need to grow a pair.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ivan-yates-on-lockdown-idea-we-are-all-in-this-together-absolute-nonsense-1165189?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1615820382

No bull from Yates in this interview, he told a few home truths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Zardoz wrote: »

https://www.newstalk.com/news/ivan-yates-on-lockdown-idea-we-are-all-in-this-together-absolute-nonsense-1165189?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1615820382

How I miss Ivan on my drive home from work!
    He’s a straight talker love him or hate him. He was bang on today! No bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I find Ivan is complete bull tbh. We pay far too much attention to his ilk. Fires a few shots every now and then to keep his profile ticking over. The lack of speaking engagements must be hurting his pocket and denting his ego. An empty vessel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I find Ivan is complete bull tbh. We pay far too much attention to his ilk. Fires a few shots every now and then to keep his profile ticking over. The lack of speaking engagements must be hurting his pocket and denting his ego. An empty vessel.

This is exactly it, spouts stuff he knows a lot of 'angry' people will think during all sorts of topics to get attention. The ones that go 'He's spot on, always says it straight yada yada yada', most of the time he's a waste of space who is a dinosaur in so many things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think this heavy lockdown in Cork is crucifying at this stage. I personally know more people who have died from suicide than COVID.

The financial hardship for a lot of families is horrendous. The impact on children is tough. They are bored stiff at the moment and miss their friends immensely. My job is way harder in a lockdown and my fitness is through the floor because all the sports outlets are gone. I miss my friends and family.

I get it, take the pressure off the hospitals. But ffs Corks numbers have been low for a month.

How many people are currently in the mercy or CUH with it? Are the hospitals here under pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

We could just lift the Cork 5k and not tell anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Populist tripe as expected. Appeals to the "Michael O Leary for Taoiseach" demographic.

Stick to commentary on the gee gees Ivan.

Lot of populist waffle also... Vaccine roll-out a disaster etc etc. Stuff some love to hear but unfactual.

pwurple wrote: »

The financial hardship for a lot of families is horrendous. The impact on children is tough. They are bored stiff at the moment and miss their friends immensely. My job is way harder in a lockdown and my fitness is through the floor because all the sports outlets are gone. I miss my friends and family.
    .......?

Two more months ..... Big picture.

Augeo wrote: »
    Two more months ..... Big picture.
    it's been 'two more months' for the last 6 ffs, that doesn't cut it anymore

pwurple wrote: »
    I think this heavy lockdown in Cork is crucifying at this stage. I personally know more people who have died from suicide than COVID.

I get it, take the pressure off the hospitals. But ffs Corks numbers have been low for a month.

How many people are currently in the mercy or CUH with it? Are the hospitals here under pressure?
    Last update was 8 in the CUH and 3 in the Mercy so 11 in total

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Was walking through the Cornmarket shopping centre yesterday, putting on the mask. Quipped to my wife - if only everyone wore their masks and stayed home for two weeks, this would all be over.... :pac::confused:

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Was walking through the Cornmarket shopping centre yesterday, putting on the mask. Quipped to my wife - if only everyone wore their masks and stayed home for two weeks, this would all be over.... :pac::confused:
    All this 'two more months', 'next two weeks' crap is so tiresome and completely wrong. There's no 'two more months', this will be indefinite and telling people otherwise is just lying. There needs to be a structured re-opening starting with /all/ outdoor activities.

All this 'two more months', 'next two weeks' crap is so tiresome and completely wrong. There's no 'two more months', this will be indefinite and telling people otherwise is just lying. There needs to be a structured re-opening starting with /all/ outdoor activities.

One thing I do not miss is Minister Harris' condescending tone "This is a really important two weeks..."

@ ACE - not sure where you pick up the CUH / Mercy no's, but you seem to have a grasp on what's going on in the hospitals. Do you know of any rumblings in CUMH re visitor restrictions? It's going on 3 months where women cannot have their partners with them for the routine scans & check ups. :(

One thing I do not miss is Minister Harris' condescending tone "This is a really important two weeks..."

@ ACE - not sure where you pick up the CUH / Mercy no's, but you seem to have a grasp on what's going on in the hospitals. Do you know of any rumblings in CUMH re visitor restrictions? It's going on 3 months where women cannot have their partners with them for the routine scans & check ups. :(

No movement on the hospitals until restrictions are loosened is what I heard just yesterday

That was never the case, please provide a link or something. The government have been constant for the last while, they have given us plenty notice.

In two months those at most risk will be vaccinated, that hasn't been the case in the past. The vaccines are the only way out. There will be an easing of restrictions then although it won't be back to pre covid for another while.

There will be no indefinite. Mention of indefinite is the protest brothers song to action. Totally unnecessary hysteria spiel.

Now, most of us knew months ago we wouldn't have a normal Summer, no need to go lala if you are only realising that now.

Two more months folks :) then we will see easing of restrictions.... Non essential retail likely opening etc in May. Hospitality will be after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

Cork2021 wrote: »
    How I miss Ivan on my drive home from work!
    He’s a straight talker love him or hate him. He was bang on today! No bull

A failed bookmaker who hightailed it to Wales leaving many others high and dry. Sitting on a nice ministerial pension.

No bull there at all, truly one of the little people.

No movement on the hospitals until restrictions are loosened is what I heard just yesterday

Agh, I figured. I was hoping there would be some let up as case numbers fell / plateaued.

Agh, I figured. I was hoping there would be some let up as case numbers fell / plateaued.
    There absolutely should be but the regional approach is something abstract to NPHET. All of Munster should be at level 3/4 now but here we are!

A friend (my age - 24) with no underlying conditions just received her first shot of the vaccine in the US, as she is a teacher & they are vaccinating their teaching staff in her state in advance of full-time, in-person teaching resuming in early April.

My wife's mother, also a teacher in the USA but in a different state, received her first shot a couple of weeks ago.

Wow!

• Advertisement

A friend (my age - 24) with no underlying conditions just received her first shot of the vaccine in the US, as she is a teacher & they are vaccinating their teaching staff in her state in advance of full-time, in-person teaching resuming in early April.

My wife's mother, also a teacher in the USA but in a different state, received her first shot a couple of weeks ago.

Wow!
    The US is unique in that everything is manufactured in house, they've got dozens of factories pumping it out + an export ban. Perfect storm.

Advertisement