Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well they'll know better to meet indoors where the Gardaí and curtain twitchers can't see them next time.

Pen Rua wrote: »

Absurd.

Don't see the absurdity TBH... "complaints of people congregating and drinking in public".... AGS can't allow The Lough to turn into a beer garden because the sun shines. Last Summer the drinkers took to urinating nearby etc etc. Not really what The Lough is for IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Heckler wrote: »
    Rakes of people around the Lough today in the sun sitting in big groups at the church end. At this stage I wouldn't blame anyone. It would be good if people had a bit of restraint tomorrow but I reckon there are going to be parties and big meetups all over the place.

Don't be buying cans. Drown the shamrock in water not alcohol...ffs. Living in lala land.
    The Lough will be like a small festival tomorrow same as last summer I’d imagine and people are meeting in large groups already for cheltnham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I live close to there so it's the closest area I walk and I generally avoid it during the day hours as its so busy. Even tonight (just back), there was still a fair crowd out sitting out which is definitely the first I've seen of that this year. I can't blame them really but hopefully they'll avoid house parties (which a lot won't based on the amount i saw dressed up walking around with bags of cans).

That’s where the catch is tho. If the Gards move them on from The Lough they’ll all end up in someone’s house nearby drinking. Next month the real fun will start when all the students leave and the short term summer tenants move in then and it’s party central again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That’s where the catch is tho. If the Gards move them on from The Lough they’ll all end up in someone’s house nearby drinking. Next month the real fun will start when all the students leave and the short term summer tenants move in then and it’s party central again

Ya, it's a hard thing to police really. It's probably still worth fining them though. It'd be one thing if they drank and cleaned up after themselves but they treat the place like a kip and as someone mentioned above, a toilet.

I'm sick of covid rules so I don't care on that really but do wish they had some respect for the residents around them and keep the area clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Gardai have commented fines are likely.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40245821.html

Absurd.

Twas about 5 when I passed so if that was after a lot of people had moved on it must have been thronged earlier than that.

Its not that people will move from there to house parties if the Guards start issuing fines. The parties are already planned. They're just meeting there before hand if the weather is good. May as well let people meet outdoors for as long as possible before they jam into houses.

Prenders and the college road residents committee (and Anthony) will be hopping on thursday morning.

I'm not condoning anything but. I'll be taking it easy tomorrow as I have work on thursday so won't be seeing anybody but human nature is what it is. Its not natural obviously to deprive people of social contact for so long. The mix of a national holiday and good weather, well the inevitable is going to happen.

A man in front of me in Togher Supervalu earlier must have had at least 10 bottles of wine in his trolley and if he was a day less than 70 I'm Santa. Not just the kids at it.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, it's a hard thing to police really. It's probably still worth fining them though. It'd be one thing if they drank and cleaned up after themselves but they treat the place like a kip and as someone mentioned above, a toilet.

I'm sick of covid rules so I don't care on that really but do wish they had some respect for the residents around them and keep the area clean.

Yup would agree with that. Not hard to stick a black bin bag in the pocket and bring the cans and whatnot home. Even to leave them there but in a bag would be something. Not saying now with covid but a few portaloos during the summer months would be an idea too. Those permanent public toilets from 30 years ago had a bad rep ! There was a time no one would walk the inside of the Lough after dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Last update was 8 in the CUH and 3 in the Mercy so 11 in total

Cool, thanks. Those are the numbers I’m watching.

The UK and north vaccine rates will also help us. I assume that’s where most of our imported cases come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Latest hospital update as of 8pm tonight

CUH: 8 with 5 in ICU
    Mercy: 2 with 1 in ICU

• Advertisement

Is that the numbers for the entire county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Is that the numbers for the entire county?
    yeah, unless the bons/mater have private patients thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bons is taking CUH patients for procedures, testing first etc.,

Is any Covid19 patients in Bantry hospital or South Infirmary/Victoria?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Gardai have commented fines are likely.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40245821.html

Absurd.

That's madness. They're outside. What do they want them to do, gather up to drink indoors? Covid loves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭shawki

That's madness. They're outside. What do they want them to do, gather up to drink indoors? Covid loves that.

Or they could take some personal responsibility and not do it in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,083 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Enjoy and Stay Safe

So an entire county in lockdown in level 5 for 10 people who are sick? That’s insane. Our new cases are also some of the best per day in the country. We were asked first day to not allow the health system get over ran and it hasn’t been at any point in the last year. Yes at Xmas they got stretched to staff holidays and entire teams in isolation due to close contacts but NEVER was it over ran. The HSE are already bringing staff back to CUH that haven’t worked their in person in over a year and more to follow early in April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,438 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

shawki wrote: »
    Or they could take some personal responsibility and not do it in the first place.

Far too much entitlement to do that.

Heckler wrote: »
    Yup would agree with that. Not hard to stick a black bin bag in the pocket and bring the cans and whatnot home. Even to leave them there but in a bag would be something. Not saying now with covid but a few portaloos during the summer months would be an idea too. Those permanent public toilets from 30 years ago had a bad rep ! There was a time no one would walk the inside of the Lough after dark.

We are poorly served with public toilets because some animals can't help themselves destroying them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

We've had county specific restrictions in the past.
    Why is everyone so convinced we won't have that again?

• Advertisement

Indeed, I can't fathom why folk are so sure it's a non runner. Donegal & Dublin were at higher levels of restrictions than rest of the country for a period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭rob316

8 people out of 550,000 are in hospital. The restrictions are so over the top at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,084 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, I can't fathom why folk are so sure it's a non runner. Donegal & Dublin were at higher levels of restrictions than rest of the country for a period.

And Kildare

I imagine the thinking must be that all of the over 65s and other vulnerable groups deserve the same level of community protection until vaccinated, there's presumably a fear that it'll spread rapidly if given opportunity.

I think non essential retail should have been open since Feb TBH, hairdressers and whatnot from April and hospitality once the vulnerable & elderly are vaccinated and it's being rolled out at pace to everyone else.

For context, I didn't think restaurants etc were safe in December so I don't think I'm bring madly incautious.

That said most folk will keep the shoulder to the wheel I think. I am really confident we are on the home stretch to a huge extent. Can't see large gathering but we will be back to last August type life in the summer I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

Augeo wrote: »
    I imagine the thinking must be that all of the over 65s and other vulnerable groups deserve the same level of community protection until vaccinated, there's presumably a fear that it'll spread rapidly if given opportunity.

I think non essential retail should have been open since Feb TBH, hairdressers and whatnot from April and hospitality once the vulnerable & elderly are vaccinated and it's being rolled out at pace to everyone else.

For context, I didn't think restaurants etc were safe in December so I don't think I'm bring madly incautious.

That said most folk will keep the shoulder to the wheel I think. I am really confident we are on the home stretch to a huge extent. Can't see large gathering but we will be back to last August type life in the summer I think.

Your opinion meets nothing ill wait and see what the experts say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is no valid reasoning behind the continued closure of retail. If it was any risk, then we would have outbreaks in supermarkets because they have largely given up on controlling numbers inside.

Your opinion meets nothing ill wait and see what the experts say

The experts who have ****ed it all up and have people quivering in fear. 8 people out of 500,000. Gowan away boi. Enjoy your PUP or your stable public servant wage.

rob316 wrote: »
    There is no valid reasoning behind the continued closure of retail. If it was any risk, then we would have outbreaks in supermarkets because they have largely given up on controlling numbers inside.

This x 100. Supermarkets busy all day every day and no outbreaks. Ridiculous restrictions.

Any "patriots" with flags showing up to protest yet? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Advertisement