Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ludo wrote: »
    Anyone know what the current schedule for second doses for the over 85 year old cohort is? Is there a delay in the second dose or is it usually 3/4 weeks after first dose?
    We're following the exact manufacturers guidance so 4 weeks for mRNA and 12 weeks for AZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Ludo wrote: »
    Anyone know what the current schedule for second doses for the over 85 year old cohort is? Is there a delay in the second dose or is it usually 3/4 weeks after first dose?

4 weeks between 1st and 2nd dose. My mum has her 1st yesterday, appointment for 2nd is 13th April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Heckler wrote: »
    Plenty around the Lough just now but not mental. One motorcycle Guard stopping at the Church end. Big Q outside Galvins so just went up the road to centra. No queues.

Can already hear the distant bass from college road. There are going to be big partys tonight.
    Lol pretty sure that was us having a dance out the back garden to warm up after sun dipped, we brought out the speaker and were having a laugh with the neighbours who were in their garden as well. V low hedges so the sound travels miles. There's f-all students around but lots of single or two-household gatherings and lots of chatting and having fun.

It was a really great day today. Lovely weather, few cans, great atmosphere around the place. Makes me feel optimism, but I'm not getting too comfortable yet because the great mood around the place today will probably be used as a stick to beat us with in two weeks when the school reopening effects really begin.

We're following the exact manufacturers guidance so 4 weeks for mRNA and 12 weeks for AZ

Pfizer guidance is 3 to 4 weeks .. As stated by the HSE

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/immunity-covid-19-vaccine.html
    Moderna
    It takes 14 days after getting the second dose for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to work.

You should get your second dose 4 weeks after your first dose.

Pfizer/BioNTech
    It takes 7 days after the second dose for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to work.

You should get your second dose 3 to 4 weeks after your first dose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Thanks everyone above. I should be hearing soon (next week prob) so about second appt for the mothers second jab.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/immunity-covid-19-vaccine.html
    Moderna
    It takes 14 days after getting the second dose for the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine to work.

You should get your second dose 4 weeks after your first dose.

Pfizer/BioNTech
    It takes 7 days after the second dose for the Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine to work.

that is indeed what i said yes

that is indeed what i said yes

Right
    Augeo wrote: »
    Pfizer/BioNTech

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

As I've said before, there is a fair case for regional lifting of restrictions; as it incentivises local improvements. If we're waiting for the national figures to get down to double/single digits, we'll be waiting months. Dublin in particular, given it's a major point of entry and high population density. But if counties/regions have lessened restrictions based on lower numbers, it gives people a target to work towards and rewards for any efforts made.

(Armchair expert hat on) I'm not 100% sure the 5km restriction is really doing much; it's more relevant what exactly you do when you travel 5km and how you do it. The virus could cross the entire country even with people staying within their 5km radius circles, if they're lax in what they do there. County restrictions could be more effective at 'quarantining' areas with high case numbers.

And as said above I'm not sure retail is something that needs to be shut. Though I admit - the issue isn't that retail would open the floodgates, but each slight lifting of restrictions moves the needle just a little bit, and if that means the R number were to go from just under 1 to just over it, that could make a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

I went for a long run through Bishopstown today. There was a smell of BBQs in the air. There were loads of cars parked outside houses and I saw a good number of people gathered in their gardens with family members. It was nice. They were dead right. :) Here's to normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

siblers wrote: »
    Gardai should have been there earlier. Cases are going to spike cause of this kind of ****

Just like the BLM protests and Anti lockdown protests were going to cause huge spikes which never materialized? Any spike in cases in 2 weeks will be more then likely caused by schools. Plenty of the people today would have been either in accommodation together or if not out the lough been in someone’s house together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Think theres a good few counties where click and collect, outdoor sports, 20km travel etc should be allowed at this stage. If the weather turns good doesnt make a whole pile of sense for people to be so packed at the marina or the lough while i spent the day in inchydoney averaging at more than a 50 metres from anyone.

Their obviously waiting for more people to be vacinated but at what cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭TheBetsy

siblers wrote: »
    Gardai should have been there earlier. Cases are going to spike cause of this kind of ****

Stop talking horse***t, People were saying the exact same thing about the protests and low and behold there was zero spike, outdoor gatherings have been proven to be safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Friends were in Bells Field (for some reason, this is erroneously known as Patrick's Hill among my extended friend group - we're all blow ins for context) yesterday; they said it was jammers. Gardaí did speak to one group, but that was about it and moved on.

Might warrant a different thread - but what short running routes are people using? I tried to take a run the other evening (soon after 6pm) via the Banks of the Lee Walk (opp. Mercy), but this was closed early. So I tried to run by the Mercy, right turn on to the road with the Presentation and up along there to the start of the Mardyke walk. The paths were packed - tonnes of families and people out and about walking. No issues in general. I just kept almost running into people, getting blocked by groups walking 3/4 abreast taking up the entire path, kids suddenly jumping out in front or on their bikes. Had to run on the road for most of it to give everyone involved some space. City feels limited for short running routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You pretty much have to go early in the morning or at night to run on non work days I find. It's impossible to go anywhere during the day with the amount out. Lee Fields, Marina, Lough are all pretty jammed during daylight hours so I find exercise just becomes a bit of a hassle with having to stop/start and avoid people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭rob316

"cases will spiral now"

Honestly educate yourself if you hold this opinion, instead of shouting sound bytes from underneath your bed.

titan18 wrote: »
    You pretty much have to go early in the morning or at night to run on non work days I find. It's impossible to go anywhere during the day with the amount out. Lee Fields, Marina, Lough are all pretty jammed during daylight hours so I find exercise just becomes a bit of a hassle with having to stop/start and avoid people.

I figured that would be the case! Thanks. I'll suss it out as I go along. Currently on study leave so I could, if I wanted, take my runs during the working day. Might be a little more difficult when I'm back to work.

The old railway line walk from the Atlantic Pond isn't a bad option........ it's wide enough for folk to pass each other. Much better than a footpath anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,074 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm hoping to get to Kerry or Limerick in the summer for a few days if restrictions level 5 are lifted, hotel prices quite expensive but I guess they have suffered badly, are we still behind on vaccines?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to get to Kerry or Limerick in the summer for a few days if restrictions level 5 are lifted, hotel prices quite expensive but I guess they have suffered badly, are we still behind on vaccines?
    Irish Times are reporting we're still on track for 80% by june

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Friends were in Bells Field (for some reason, this is erroneously known as Patrick's Hill among my extended friend group - we're all blow ins for context) yesterday; they said it was jammers. Gardaí did speak to one group, but that was about it and moved on.

Might warrant a different thread - but what short running routes are people using? I tried to take a run the other evening (soon after 6pm) via the Banks of the Lee Walk (opp. Mercy), but this was closed early. So I tried to run by the Mercy, right turn on to the road with the Presentation and up along there to the start of the Mardyke walk. The paths were packed - tonnes of families and people out and about walking. No issues in general. I just kept almost running into people, getting blocked by groups walking 3/4 abreast taking up the entire path, kids suddenly jumping out in front or on their bikes. Had to run on the road for most of it to give everyone involved some space. City feels limited for short running routes.

The Mardyke was packed yesterday afternoon as I went for a run there myself, was even a traffic jam with the cars coming/going. I get out most evenings after work around 5 so the walkway from the North Mall is still open & then if the Mardyke is packed I use Western Road & then out the Straight Road on the footpath. Going up the path to the Tennis Village is handy as well but that's closed for the next few weeks for a refurb.

I've all of June off as holiday year ends then so it's a case of use them or lose them. Currently thinking of walking the Dingle Way & Kerry Way so fingers cross we're allowed to travel a bit by then. I'm very lucky with accommodation as a friend of mine has a holiday home in Kerry that I can stay in.

opus wrote: »
    The Mardyke was packed yesterday afternoon as I went for a run there myself, was even a traffic jam with the cars coming/going. I get out most evenings after work around 5 so the walkway from the North Mall is still open & then if the Mardyke is packed I use Western Road & then out the Straight Road on the footpath. Going up the path to the Tennis Village is handy as well but that's closed for the next few weeks for a refurb.

On lunch, I had a look at the walk you're referring to - the sign says it closes at 6pm in March. Can be hit or miss depending on who's on lock up duty... I was thinking of giving Western Road a shot this evening - hoping it will be less trafficked.

Aside - us Boardsies must pass each other all the time and are never none the wiser. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

On lunch, I had a look at the walk you're referring to - the sign says it closes at 6pm in March. Can be hit or miss depending on who's on lock up duty... I was thinking of giving Western Road a shot this evening - hoping it will be less trafficked.

Aside - us Boardsies must pass each other all the time and are never none the wiser. :pac:

The guy who locks the far end (from the Shakey Bridge to the Sacred Heart) waited for me last week as he saw me coming, very nice of him I thought.

For sure :) I've had the fun of meeting people off the Running forum after the marathon in Berlin many years ago & having to wander up to random tables asking as you so&so as I'd no idea what they looked like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

On regionalising opening up it also makes sense from an economic point of view. If you take the Cork region alone that’s a significant % of Ireland’s GDP brought back online more so if it can relax due to safer numbers.

We’re obviously going to have to be cautious though after what happened at Christmas and enforcing the regional limits would have to be taken seriously, or the whole thing would fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭thehairygrape

What is it with the 3/4 abreast? Very annoying when out for a run, especially when they are coming towards you and can clearly see you coming. I just don’t get it.
    Re routes. If you head out from the Centre towards Blackrock,but take Monaghan Road instead of Centre Park Rd, things seem to be quieter during non work days. Around the back of the Pairc by CAB motors along Atlantic Pond and on to the railway line. You get a good, reasonably quiet run that way and you can keep going as far as Passage if you want.
    That route was blocked for a while last week for tree cutting, but it was fine yesterday.
    During non work days, best to avoid the Marina and Mardyke at busy times. In fairness, kids need to get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,074 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That's extremely poor judgement for anyone in politics, elected or not!

Was it a mass?
    Cork’s civic and religious leaders will address a shared message of civic and spiritual solidarity and support to the people of Cork on St. Patrick’s Day.

Cllr John Sheehan, Lord Mayor of Cork along with Right Rev Paul Colton, Bishop of Cork, Cloyne and Ross will join Bishop Fintan Gavin, Bishop of Cork and Ross at the North Cathedral, Cork, at 11am on St. Patrick’s Day.

They will each address a message to the people of Cork and Cork people everywhere which will be broadcast live over the Cathedral’s webcam at this link on www.corkcathedral.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Was it a mass?

John Sheehan is no longer Lord Mayor since June 2020 or so.

Was it a mass?

As Cape Clear said, Cllr Sheehan is no longer Lord Mayor.

The FB post I linked to explicitly said Mass.

There's a recording available on the website, and they are clearly present (in addition to the cantor / reader & organist - as is usual, and no objection from me there).

The Lord Mayor & his spouse were privileged enough to be allowed to attend Mass today at the Cathedral.

https://www.facebook.com/1623366187914977/posts/2790198597898391/?d=n

I would describe myself as rather into my faith. Daily Mass pre-COVID in addition to Sunday and being very involved with my local church etc, for context. So this struck a chord with me on a number of levels. The faithful have been denied Mass for months by the authorities. The Lord Mayor was in the paper calling for people to not to attend a reasonable protest and here he is at Mass when the other faithful cannot attend due to lockdown restrictions he himself was crying out for people to obey last week.

To go back on this... whoever is the admin of the page is saying two people do not make a congregation, and so the implication is no rules were broken (Mass is not prohibited - Mass with a congregation is). The Lord Mayor & his spouse had no role to in liturgy (from a quick click through the recording) so I would suggest they are a congregation. So the Lord Mayor is breaking the restrictions.

https://twitter.com/Joekavanaghcork/status/1372174830120894465

And now I see he shared on Twitter his photo op, and how he got to "attend Mass" at the Cathedral.

:(

And not a mask in sight :pac: ;)

• Advertisement

To go back on this... whoever is the admin of the page is saying two people do not make a congregation, and so the implication is no rules were broken (Mass is not prohibited - Mass with a congregation is)..............

The admin of the page seems a right warrior.
    It is clear that it's against the spirit of the restrictions IMO, inconsequential of course but it we all found little loopholes the r number wouldn't be long rising I imagine.

Advertisement