Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

+13 in Cork

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1372607595614199814/photo/1

Chambers has yet to tweet the usual release, so Reilly's spreadsheet will do for now. Don't get a fright - his is in alphabetical order as opposed to incidence order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Pen Rua wrote: »
    +13 in Cork

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1372607595614199814/photo/1

Chambers has yet to tweet the usual release, so Reilly's spreadsheet will do for now. Don't get a fright - his is in alphabetical order as opposed to incidence order.

Oops - botched the Twitter link.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1372607595614199814

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

On regionalising opening up it also makes sense from an economic point of view. If you take the Cork region alone that’s a significant % of Ireland’s GDP brought back online more so if it can relax due to safer numbers.

We’re obviously going to have to be cautious though after what happened at Christmas and enforcing the regional limits would have to be taken seriously, or the whole thing would fall apart.

Be handy if they opened the hairdressers and click and collect here. You're not really going to get people traveling in from other counties really for that (bar the border areas).

Even looking at Reilly's tweet, it's basically just 5 sh1t counties at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 02/03/2021 to 15/03/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 8 (-16), LEA rate per 100k pop: 22 (-32)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 15 (+3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 43 (+9)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (+14), LEA rate per 100k pop: 79 (+41)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 32 (-17), LEA rate per 100k pop: 76 (-40)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 20 (-2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 50 (-5)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 33 (+7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 85 (+18)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 16 (+2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 37 (+4)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 11 (-3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 23 (-7)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 33 (-7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 91 (-15)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 6 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 24 (-4)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 31 (-4), LEA rate per 100k pop: 106 (-14)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 33 (-1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 73 (-1)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,074 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cape Clear wrote: »
    John Sheehan is no longer Lord Mayor since June 2020 or so.
    As Cape Clear said, Cllr Sheehan is no longer Lord Mayor.

The FB post I linked to explicitly said Mass.

There's a recording available on the website, and they are clearly present (in addition to the cantor / reader & organist - as is usual, and no objection from me there).

Whoops :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Augeo wrote: »
    The old railway line walk from the Atlantic Pond isn't a bad option........ it's wide enough for folk to pass each other. Much better than a footpath anyway.

Not sure about that. It’s not going to be great for running for a while with the works going on. Different Parts are blocked every day the last two weeks.

I also find it almost impossible to cycle it with kids there is so much pedestrian traffic on it. I see runners constantly stopping for traffic.

Center park road might be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

Might warrant a different thread - but what short running routes are people using? I tried to take a run the other evening (soon after 6pm) via the Banks of the Lee Walk (opp. Mercy), but this was closed early. So I tried to run by the Mercy, right turn on to the road with the Presentation and up along there to the start of the Mardyke walk. The paths were packed - tonnes of families and people out and about walking. No issues in general. I just kept almost running into people, getting blocked by groups walking 3/4 abreast taking up the entire path, kids suddenly jumping out in front or on their bikes. Had to run on the road for most of it to give everyone involved some space. City feels limited for short running routes.

If it's in your 5km, Murphys's Farm in Bishopstown is handy enough for running. I went there on St Patrick's Day & although it was busy, it was easy to over take people and I didn't have an issue with people walking in massive groups not getting out of the way.

Don't get me wrong, I fully think people out walking deserve the right away & I do my best to get out of their way, but sometimes it isn't possible. I'm flabbergasted when groups walking 3/4 abreast don't even attempt to make way when they see me coming. It's frustrating when I'm forced out onto busy roads or mucky grass.

The route parallel to the Lee Fields amongst the trees is handy too, I'm not sure what the official name of it is but there's a nice loop there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

15 cases in Cork today

Cork Kerry and Leitrim lowest rates in ROI

Fota Wildlife Park needs to reopen soon or could close permanently, it's lovely I do hope it gets financial help, I would love to visit again, it's outside and can manage the 2m social distance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Fota Wildlife Park needs to reopen soon or could close permanently, it's lovely I do hope it gets financial help, I would love to visit again, it's outside and can manage the 2m social distance

Fota Gardens is open to all and very busy now with the good weather. The Wildlife Park really should be open now.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Fota Gardens is open to all and very busy now with the good weather. The Wildlife Park really should be open now.

Is that part of the wildlife park or resort hotel?

Is that part of the wildlife park or resort hotel?

It's neither. It's Fota House and Gardens which is run by the OPW. In the same access as the Wildlife Park.

https://fotahouse.com/

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's neither. It's Fota House and Gardens which is run by the OPW. In the same access as the Wildlife Park.

https://fotahouse.com/

I've never been there looks lovely, when restrictions are lifted and all fully vaccinated I'm going to try to visit as many places in Ireland that I can afford, appreciate our country first and support local support green

I've never been there looks lovely, when restrictions are lifted and all fully vaccinated I'm going to try to visit as many places in Ireland that I can afford, appreciate our country first and support local support green

The Gardens are fantastic and luckily within my 5km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Fota could reopen as it's outdoors with number restrictions, masks etc etc.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Fota could reopen as it's outdoors with number restrictions, masks etc etc.

Not unless the government allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭rodders999

It’s absolutely ridiculous that with numbers as low as they are in Cork right now that Fota Wildlife Park remains closed.

There was an interview with them on the radio this morning and it was heart breaking to hear that such a great amenity that’s right on our doorstep is in such a perilous financial position.

The head guy there said he was hoping to get the go ahead to open up by the end of the month but there’s absolutely no chance that the government who are so completely paralysed with fear will ok that. Lock down the lot is the only plan we are following.

100 acres of open air parkway shut for no good reason, pathetic.

rodders999 wrote: »
    It’s absolutely ridiculous that with numbers as low as they are in Cork right now that Fota Wildlife Park remains closed.

There was an interview with them on the radio this morning and it was heart breaking to hear that such a great amenity that’s right on our doorstep is in such a perilous financial position.

The head guy there said he was hoping to get the go ahead to open up by the end of the month but there’s absolutely no chance that the government who are so completely paralysed with fear will ok that. Lock down the lot is the only plan we are following.

Infuriating and nonsensical when you see the crowds milling around the Gardens right next door with no restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I doubt the Government will let Fota go bankrupt, but it is a disgrace that its closed at the moment. It was open through Lockdown 2, I went there weekly, it was a fantastic place to have open and there was absolutely no way in the month of Sundays that anyone could get COVID there. It would be an absolute shambles if it did close, really it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I doubt the Government will let Fota go bankrupt, but it is a disgrace that its closed at the moment. It was open through Lockdown 2, I went there weekly, it was a fantastic place to have open and there was absolutely no way in the month of Sundays that anyone could get COVID there. It would be an absolute shambles if it did close, really it would.

A word in the ear of Government?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Zardoz

rodders999 wrote: »

As we have repeatedly discussed on this thread there is very little logic as to what is closed and what is open.
    Very little thought or imagination.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

So sad to hear about Fota wildlife park. It's outdoors, it should be open. Makes no sense to have it closed.

If Fota is having trouble, how is Dublin zoo doing? Would they be much the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If Fota is having trouble, how is Dublin zoo doing? Would they be much the same?

Dublin Zoo was in a lot of trouble as well. They did a crowdfunding campaign earlier in the year. Though they're a bit like the banks, they government won't actually let them fail. Hopefully Fota also gets bailed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The fact u can’t go to the beach unless it in ur 5k says all u need to know about this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Stark wrote: »
    Dublin Zoo was in a lot of trouble as well. They did a crowdfunding campaign earlier in the year. Though they're a bit like the banks, they government won't actually let them fail. Hopefully Fota also gets bailed out.

I'll be donating to Fota this weekend. Not a huge amount but I hope more people will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'll be donating to Fota this weekend. Not a huge amount but I hope more people will too.

A lot of families fund it already through conservation membership. I’ve been a member for the last decade. I won’t donate again beyond that, because tbh it’s blooming expensive, and at the moment I am getting zero visits.

The place just needs to open.

Either that, or unlock the enclosures and start feeding the giraffes to the lions on pay per view.

(Yes, I’m joking)

I imagine that article and interview is kite-flying, looking for either govt funding or opening permission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

pwurple wrote: »
    A lot of families fund it already through conservation membership. I’ve been a member for the last decade. I won’t donate again beyond that, because tbh it’s blooming expensive, and at the moment I am getting zero visits.

The place just needs to open.

Either that, or unlock the enclosures and start feeding the giraffes to the lions on pay per view.

(Yes, I’m joking)

I imagine that article and interview is kite-flying, looking for either govt funding or opening permission

AFAIK, memberships are suspended so you'll get the time added in lieu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

TheDriver wrote: »
    AFAIK, memberships are suspended so you'll get the time added in lieu.

Yes suspended since January but not indefinitely which is understandable. For 2 adults and 2 kids the price is roughly €45 while the pass costs €190 for the year.

Some other benefits
    Fota Wildlife Park E-Newsletters and Fota News
    10% off all Children's Activity Camps
    10% off Wild Experience Tours
    Free Admission to Dublin Zoo (subject to terms above)
    One visit per year to Edinburgh Zoo, Highlands Wildlife Park and Belfast Zoo (card & receipt must be produced)
    Admission concession to (as of date of print): Paignton Zoo, Newquay Zoo, and Living Coasts (card & receipt must be produced)

Good value if you have young children.

• Advertisement

The annual fee is wonderful value, fingers crossed they can open soon.... The 5km thing is the issue.
    Once countywide travel is an option they should be OK with a booking system or something perhaps.
    It's such a unique wildlife park.

Advertisement