Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭shawki

Augeo wrote: »
    The annual fee is wonderful value, fingers crossed they can open soon.... The 5km thing is the issue.
    Once countywide travel is an option they should be OK with a booking system or something perhaps.
    It's such a unique wildlife park.

They have a booking system with a 30 minute slot to arrive.

The park has also been changed to one-way which worked really well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

The annual fee is wonderful value, fingers crossed they can open soon.... The 5km thing is the issue.
    Once countywide travel is an option they should be OK with a booking system or something perhaps.
    It's such a unique wildlife park.

They stayed open during Oct /Nov level 5. Great set up and couldn't fault them for their implementation of social distancing guidelines. We got there twice since last June and will head there again once we are allowed. One of the best attractions in the region.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Id imagine Fota is closed for the safety of its staff more than to cause inconvenience to the public. Someone would have to man the ticket office, cafes, etc and clean up all the crap that the lovely public scatter everwhere they go. I'd imagine if it was open people would travel well outside their 5k to get to it.
    Just an educated guess, but perhaps the moaners are right and its closed simply to inconvenience us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Gaspode wrote: »
    Id imagine Fota is closed for the safety of its staff more than to cause inconvenience to the public. Someone would have to man the ticket office, cafes, etc and clean up all the crap that the lovely public scatter everwhere they go. I'd imagine if it was open people would travel well outside their 5k to get to it.
    Just an educated guess, but perhaps the moaners are right and its closed simply to inconvenience us.

Fota is closed because of the government restrictions. They have been on the media, along with Dublin Zoo, saying they can open safely as they did last Autumn with proper social distancing and crowd number controls but are being stopped from doing so. Meanwhile Fota Gardens next door, which has a café, is fully open and very very busy with no restrictions in place. Makes no sense other than the Gardens are run by the OPW, a State agency.

I'd imagine you are wrong. Your spiel reads like a very uneducated guess tbh.
    What moaners are you on about btw?
    If it was open whilst the 5km restriction was in place there would likely be AGS checkpoints there if it became a spot where folk "would travel well outside their 5k to get to it".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I disagree. We are still in a pandemic, so looking to go out to a wildlife park is nonsense imo. Its a pain but people should be staying at home. I understand the impatience but like it or not we're still in level 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I disagree. We are still in a pandemic, so looking to go out to a wildlife park is nonsense imo. Its a pain but people should be staying at home. I understand the impatience but like it or not we're still in level 5.

The Gardens in Fota are open because it's run by the state. Do you not think those should be closed so?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Moaners? Who?

Very strange post you made there. Fota are closed because of the government guidelines. Its simple enough?

At this stage, though, anywhere outdoors should be opening back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Be right back

21 cases in Cork today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

people should be staying at home. I understand the impatience but like it or not we're still in level 5.

With consistent low numbers in Cork, level 5 is starting to feel unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Nonsense argument, no risk in an outdoor wildlife park ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Gardens in Fota are open because it's run by the state. Do you not think those should be closed so?

Makes no sense to have the gardens open but not the park. Tropical house at Fota wildlife park should remain closed though as it's indoors, but don't see why the rest of the park should be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Makes no sense to have the gardens open but not the park. Tropical house at Fota wildlife park should remain closed though as it's indoors, but don't see why the rest of the park should be closed.

With a one way system, open doors and social distancing no reason for any of it to be closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,010 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I guess walking around the gardens is classified as "essential exercise" whereas the wildlife park is considered "non-essential fun". Not saying that's not BS but it's how those in charge seem to think.

Like the 5km rule is irrelevant in the wildlife park's case as that rule only applies to exercise. You're either allowed visit if it's "essential" or you're not. (In this case not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Cause of a holiday to Japan a few years back I still get the odd youtube recommendation on the place. This impressed me no end, what the government sends people who have to quarantine.

I called into Fitzgerald park today to say hello to two friends who had their kids at the playground, spotted two outdoor birthday parties going on, one was a kid's party & the other was a 50th! Spotted some champagne at one of them, I'll let you guess which :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'll be donating to Fota this weekend. Not a huge amount but I hope more people will too.

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Be right back

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    How?

You can do it on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Its amazing how there's a scheme that hospitality can partake in that lets them claim to be covid safe. The government even has a tax rebate for eating indoors at restaurants but not takeaway. They ran an ad campaign in December to get people out. Yet due to the same government saying Fota needs to stay shut then it must be too dangerous to open.

I guess thats how some people cope at the moment. It must be alot more comforting if you think there is a solid logic to the Level 5 restrictions.

User142 wrote: »
    Its amazing how there's a scheme that hospitality can partake in that lets them claim to be covid safe. .....

I remember Tony H saying just because the restaurants are open doesn't mean you have to go. Loads of folk, unmasked & indoors was nothing but lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

I remember Tony H saying just because the restaurants are open doesn't mean you have to go. Loads of folk, unmasked & indoors was nothing but lunacy.

My social media was bombarded with IBEC ads for how safe restaurants were. The Failte Ireland Covid Safety Charter was heavily leaned on. People get tax rebates for Christmas dining yet I get 0 for supporting local restaurants for the last year through takeaways.

https://twitter.com/TheRiverside/status/1336635453663932416

https://twitter.com/Failte_Ireland/status/1336649940718800897

Local media in November was absolutely freaking out about teenagers in town. The the restaurants were opened with no real ventilation requirements with 6 households per table. And here we are in February with local media back discussing gatherings in at the Lough.

Again, I wish I could be as trusting in the governments strategy as some of the people on here. It must be a much more comfortable place to be mentally right now.

• Advertisement

I'm not comfortable with takeaways TBH as loads of them don't seem to mandate that staff should wear masks. They reckon the screens are magic :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I'm not comfortable with takeaways TBH as loads of them don't seem to mandate that staff should wear masks. They reckon the screens are magic :rolleyes:

Indian takeaway around the corner from me, staff never wear masks, I haven't been in, but I don't see any screens from the outside, and customers wait inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Nonsense argument, no risk in an outdoor wildlife park ffs

I'm not sure why you feel the need to pile on someone for having an opinion but different strokes for different folks I guess.

It sounds like Fota are not in receipt of on going support outside of the £1m they were awarded previously. Animals still need to be cared for so their costs probably haven't fallen by much.

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1373537495481131011

Gascun saying many Covid19 variant cases coming from travel

A year on and still no control, we stay 5km to her home but come visit Ireland from anywhere unquarantined

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1373537495481131011

Gascun saying many Covid19 variant cases coming from travel

A year on and still no control, we stay 5km to her home but come visit Ireland from anywhere unquarantined

We really don't want the Brazilian variant over here. What is the matter with these clowns running the country?

Shut everything but come on in without quarantine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

We really don't want the Brazilian variant over here. What is the matter with these clowns running the country?

Shut everything but come on in without quarantine.

The Brazilian variant was already detected here, it was contained apparently within a cluster. Ah to hell with them, I’m going to start bombarded them with letters n Facebook messages...

2 deaths RIP
    769 cases (18 in Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Excellent figures considering the case numbers, don't think we can ask for better tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

2 deaths RIP
    769 cases (18 in Cork)

All ill say is thank god the huge spike isn't reflected in cork numbers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork still going strong. I referenced the 5 counties causing issues last week, just proven again today:
    284 in Dublin, 67 in Donegal, 47 in Offaly, 45 in Meath, 44 in Kildare

Advertisement