Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Council seem to be putting footpath extensions and cycle lane placement on the long finger. In fact, they're opening up pedestrianised streets.

Marina still isn't pedestrianised either.. Despite promises 2 weeks ago. Cars up and down it today, at speed, pushing people onto the narrow footpaths.

Other cities are miles ahead.
    This isn't sustainable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

User142 wrote: »
    Town was mobbed with people the Friday and Saturday when I was in. Fitzgerald Park and Peace Park were packed. Grand parade was mobbed. Social distancing was a write off. There's too many people out for the Gards to do anything. There's also next to no parking which shows you just how counterproductive free unlimited parking is on the center island.

Next week, we enter the next phase. It will be legal to meet up in groups of up to 4 outdoors. Every person in the city will be allowed hang out in town. If the weathers stays good it will only get busier and busier. We are seeing a glimpse of what our city would look like if huge numbers use it just for leisure during the day. Next week big numbers, bored of lockdown, are going to head the city centre to drink coffee and socialize.

Expect a surge in new cases of the virus in Cork over the next few weeks so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Yet numbers are falling daily. Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

It's sad. This is all so predictable and the council has done nothing but throw a fit at anybody that points it out.

Whats so special about our city that we can't just follow what other cities are doing worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

The lockdown is effectively over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

2 new cases 5th-6th, 6 new cases from the 6th - 7th. 2 new cases from the 7th-8th according to latest stats

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭robinbird

Measures that council have taken once lockdown was announced six weeks ago have made social distancing effectively more difficult. They are very much part of the problem rather than the solution.
    1 Refused to open 140 acre city park to pedestrians.
    2. Kept Marina open to cars forcing pedestrians onto verges
    2. Opened all the partially pedestrianised city centre streets to cars
    4 Introduced a free parking wherever you like policy which has clogged the city centre with parked cars in all previously pedestrianised streets.

It's all very well to criticise people for their behaviour when out but this is often guided and directed by policy decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

Think we're bad,I've family in Derry and got pictures of street parties in the Creggan ( huge estate)
    The bogside
    And the Brandywell last night,
    Jam packed, hundreds out all jammed up nextdoor to each other, this pandemic will remain on this island in some guise for years to come, people are just not getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

robinbird wrote: »
    Measures that council have taken once lockdown was announced six weeks ago have made social distancing effectively more difficult. They are very much part of the problem rather than the solution.
    1 Refused to open 140 acre city park to pedestrians.
    2. Kept Marina open to cars forcing pedestrians onto verges
    2. Opened all the partially pedestrianised city centre streets to cars
    4 Introduced a free parking wherever you like policy which has clogged the city centre with parked cars in all previously pedestrianised streets.

It's all very well to criticise people for their behaviour when out but this is often guided and directed by policy decisions.

Here's the rub, people don't want to use public transport to get to the city in case they catch something. No way would I use it.
    You can open the park but you'd have to police it to stop people mixing, ball games etc. Kids obviously can't use the playgrounds. Hard common areas and surfaces like seating would have to cleaned constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Cases a lot lower over there and has for awhile now

I’ve friends out there and they haven’t had new cases in days.... they are still on lockdown in that they can’t leave WA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

I’ve friends out there and they haven’t had new cases in days.... they are still on lockdown in that they can’t leave WA

Yes but they did lockdown properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Ya all borders still closed etc. bars and restaurants opened now along with Gyms and 20 max. It’s a trial for 5 weeks to see how it works

Here's the rub, people don't want to use public transport to get to the city in case they catch something. No way would I use it.

Yes. But the limit was supposed to be 2km (now 5km) Surely the council having free park anywhere you want on formerly pedestrianised streets promotions and actively encouraging motorists to drive into the city centre is against the spirit of the guidelines.

In the case of the park you can access it but only if you drive to it and use vehicular entrance off South Link. Again council facilitating and encouraging breach of regulations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Council has opened up pedestrianised streets to vehicular traffic and indiscriminate car parking and are encouraging people to drive into and park in city centre.
    Market Traders have thanked council and said they are delighted with the increased volume of people as a result of it.

council refusing to open pedestrian access to 140 acre park is naturally going to increase volumes of people elsewhere like the Lough

Similarly the Marina was full of people today but vehicular traffic forcing people on to the verges and into one another.

Stop blaming the people. Blame the pro car policy.

https://twitter.com/GardenCityShane/status/1258755148882612225?s=19

Here's more of it. Cork really needs to stop pandering to SUV driving wastes of space and actually create infrastructure, from cycle lanes and adequate footpaths throughout the city to usable public transport. What a dreamer's notion!

On the way back from collecting shopping for my relatives on Thursday I tried to go home down the Marina but I got there, saw the volume of people and promptly turned around. There were also signs for the testing centre and I realised it would probably not be the best place to be engaging in leisure. But from the accounts on this thread it sounds like people are back to their "old lives" now, in their own heads anyway. Must be nice for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Only 6 COVID-19 cases in the CUH as of this evening. 2 on ventilators.

I hope they all recover

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Why has this person not been arrested on public order grounds?

Because its their culture.. Paveee point gone to ground on this of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

FrStone wrote: »
    Because its their culture..

Top marks for originality.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:own

Docked marks for forgetting to but, "Boss", at the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

FrStone wrote: »
    Because its their culture.. Paveee point gone to ground on this of course.

There was a large funeral also, more than 10 and no social distancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

http://corkandross.org/diocesan/churches-across-diocese-open-for-personal-prayer/

Churches in the city shall be permitted to re-open for private, personal prayer from 18 May. You may not care for this news, but someone you may know might be delighted to hear the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

On a walk around togher area today, group of 12/13 year olds (about 10 of them) just walking around by gilabbey vets, group of people playing a game on coffees field and another group sitting down the back of the field, lots of people just not moving aside when walking, saw one couple holding hands on a walk and basically rubbing off an elderly man out for his stroll while passing him out etc.. Complacency is definitely setting in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not to be encouraging complacency or anything, but I think there's only been 1 documented case of transmission outdoors globally, it's not something to be getting too worked up about when you see someone breaking the rules. Our energy should be focused on encouraging caution in indoor environments, where physical distancing is difficult and contact is more prolonged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not to be encouraging complacency or anything, but I think there's only been 1 documented case of transmission outdoors globally.

I'd love to know where you pulled that statistic out of?

Kerry25x wrote: »
    I'd love to know where you pulled that statistic out of?
    It was a study of several hundred clusters a few weeks back where only one cluster occurred outdoors, I'll see if I can find it. Point is it's a much smaller chance of transmission outdoors. Someone brushing past isn't something to get worked up about.

Edit: They've defined a cluster as 3 cases but it's an indication of the relative risk. Not peer reviewed yet but even if they were off by a factor of 30 it's still a fraction of the indoor risk.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.04.20053058v1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Okay, a Chinese study of 318 outbreaks, small bit of a leap to translate that to 1 case of outdoor transmission globally.

I do agree that outdoor transmission risk is low without very close contact.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Okay, a Chinese study of 318 outbreaks, small bit of a leap to translate that to 1 case of outdoor transmission globally.

I do agree that outdoor transmission risk is low without very close contact.
    Wishful thinking from my memory there, then again I haven't heard of any others :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

s1ippy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GardenCityShane/status/1258755148882612225?s=19

Here's more of it. Cork really needs to stop pandering to SUV driving wastes of space and actually create infrastructure, from cycle lanes and adequate footpaths throughout the city to usable public transport. What a dreamer's notion!

I think now is a good time to do a lot of it... however closing off the city center to traffic would push more onto the South Ring and hence Dunkettle. Dunkettle absolutely has to be the number one priority in Cork. God knows what the Greens are going to do with it, that shower of lunatics.

Cork has done the exact opposite of what has been done in cities around the world that have used this as an opportunity to decrease car usage in city centres and encourage sustainable travel. And it is working. It has become a massive success. Look at what has happened in Dublin.

Cork has ended any semblance of parking enforcement, opened up the previously partially pedestrianised streets as rat runs and for parking. Town is now a mess because of this pro car policy and it has set the stage for a gridlocked city centre once everything opens up again. The few disjointed bits of cycle tracks that the Council also allows to be used for parking by cars and taxis mean cycling is viewed as unsafe by many here.

Seeing the city ruined in this way by a few people with a pro car agenda makes me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Cork has done the exact opposite of what has been done in cities around the world that have used this as an opportunity to decrease car usage in city centres and encourage sustainable travel. And it is working. It has become a massive success. Look at what has happened in Dublin.

Cork has ended any semblance of parking enforcement, opened up the previously partially pedestrianised streets as rat runs and for parking. Town is now a mess because of this pro car policy and it has set the stage for a gridlocked city centre once everything opens up again. The few disjointed bits of cycle tracks that the Council also allows to be used for parking by cars and taxis mean cycling is viewed as unsafe by many here.

Seeing the city ruined in this way by a few people with a pro car agenda makes me angry.

Our local genius Terry says you should stop whinging because cycling isn't suitable for everyone. Public transport use will be down to 10 people per bus and we will all drive now instead and our roads are too narrow compared to literally every other European city for any new pedestrian or cycling infrastructure.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fianna-fail-councillor-stop-whinging-over-returning-cork-traffic-999316.html

Its painfully short sighted and just doesn't hold up to any level of scrutiny which is why he must be getting so ratty. Too used to photo ops and rubbing shoulders with business to deal with local people getting involved in local politics.

I don't know where he thinks people are going to get these cars from, nevermind find parking. Even with most business closed, there's feck all spaces in the city centre right now to show for it.....

Its completely fair to say our local democracy isn't fit for purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Pen Rua wrote: »
    http://corkandross.org/diocesan/churches-across-diocese-open-for-personal-prayer/

Churches in the city shall be permitted to re-open for private, personal prayer from 18 May. You may not care for this news, but someone you may know might be delighted to hear the news.

Don’t understand why masses can’t go back to being held. At a lot of masses especially during the week would barely be 10 people in the church.

Everyone wear a mask , sit one person per bench. Mark x on each bench that means u can’t sit.

Every second row remains empty. No holy communion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

On a walk around togher area today, group of 12/13 year olds (about 10 of them) just walking around by gilabbey vets, group of people playing a game on coffees field and another group sitting down the back of the field, lots of people just not moving aside when walking, saw one couple holding hands on a walk and basically rubbing off an elderly man out for his stroll while passing him out etc.. Complacency is definitely setting in

That’s just pure rude nothing to do with complacency, not moving into a single file.

Advertisement