Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Be right back

16 cases in Cork today. One death sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

pwurple wrote: »
    You mean LIDLs car park? The one for LIDL customers while they do their shopping...

wouldn’t that be against the rules?

It's not solely for LIDL. And it's never more than about 20% full. It's used by Parkrun on Saturdays, for example.

Don't know what rules you're on about...

Better that people park there rather than up on grass or blocking paths by the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Mardyke wrote: »
    It's not solely for LIDL. And it's never more than about 20% full. It's used by Parkrun on Saturdays, for example.

Don't know what rules you're on about...

Better that people park there rather than up on grass or blocking paths by the park.

Lidl's rules?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

16 cases in Cork today. One death sadly.

RIP
    ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Via Laura on Reddit Ireland

New cases: 520

Denotified cases: N/A

Total cases: 231,119
    New deaths: 1
    Total deaths: 4,588

Of the 520 cases notified today
    • Male: 258
    • Female: 262
    • Under 45 years old: 411 (79%)
    • Median age: 28
    • Dublin: 242
    • Meath: 36
    • Offaly: 30
    • Kildare: 29
    • Wicklow: 25
    • Remaining 158 cases spread across 20 other counties
    Vaccination Numbers - Up to Friday 19th March
    • Total doses: 668,529 (+14,278)
    • First dose: 487,466 (+8,741)
    • Second: 181,063 (+5,537)
    Vaccine Type Breakdowns
    • Pfizer/BioNTech: 517,823 (+13,413)
    • Moderna: 21,342 (+853)
    • AstraZeneca: 129,634 (+12)
    Cohort 1 (Residents aged 65+ in LTCF)
    • Total: 183,550 (+892)
    • First Dose: 106,815 (+79)
    • Second Dose: 76,735 (+813)
    Cohort 2 (Frontline Healthcare Workers)
    • Total: 294,861 (+720)
    • First Dose: 202,452 (+187)
    • Second Dose: 92,409 (+533)
    Cohort 3 (People 70+)
    • Total: 184,593 (+12,473)
    • First Dose: 172,728 (+8,284)
    • Second Dose: 11,865 (+4,189)
    Cohort 4 (People aged 16-69 and at very high risk of severe Covid-19)
    • Total: 5,022 (+189)
    • First Dose: 5,012 (+189)
    • Second Dose:10 (+0)
    Other Cohort
    • Total: 503
    • First Dose: 459
    • Second Dose: 44
    Hospital stats as of 8 am today
    • Hospitalised: 359 (-1)
    • ICU: 81 (-1)
    • New admissions past 24 hours: 14

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It is slightly irking me now that NPHET are mentioning how the situation is volatile and cases are drifting upwards, when its been about 5 counties that they aren't mentioning and are instead choosing to make it out like its the entire country having an increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40249268.html

The Lord Mayor in the Echo describing the aftermath of the weekend at Bell’s Field as being “like a war zone”

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

saabsaab wrote: »
    Lidl's rules?

They don't own the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

No Lidl in Ballincollig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

It is slightly irking me now that NPHET are mentioning how the situation is volatile and cases are drifting upwards, when its been about 5 counties that they aren't mentioning and are instead choosing to make it out like its the entire country having an increase.

And Ronan Glynne refusing regional lockdowns as counties that are bad this week will be good next week and vise versa. Aren’t the same counties consistently the worst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This is where NPHET really loose the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

And Ronan Glynne refusing regional lockdowns as counties that are bad this week will be good next week and vise versa. Aren’t the same counties consistently the worst?
    Yeah I found that comment fairly bizarre, it's the same counties every single day for the past 10 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Well, I have noticed in Cork's case, when the restrictions are in place it's consistently one of the 'best' counties in the country; but when the restrictions were lifted it quickly becomes one of the worst (probably just a factor of population density).

So there is some variance there; but while the restrictions are unchanging yeah it seems to be the pretty consistent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

NPHET Martin and the irish media have lost the people with their scaremongering bullsh1t -irish media hyping up a 4th wave with 16 cases here today doesnt add up -listening to radio 1 earlier presenter got stuck on some fianna fail lap dog over attempting to loosen restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

who_me wrote: »
    Well, I have noticed in Cork's case, when the restrictions are in place it's consistently one of the 'best' counties in the country; but when the restrictions were lifted it quickly becomes one of the worst (probably just a factor of population density).

So there is some variance there; but while the restrictions are unchanging yeah it seems to be the pretty consistent.
    Cork has a decent size city,with an airport, with two universities and being such a large coastal county has a lot of holiday home owners both domestic and foreign. Every time the lockdown eases even in the slightest way the city is immediately much busier with all age groups and the small villages and towns up and down the coast have plenty of people visiting to check their holiday homes and perhaps stay a few nights or weeks to do some work on it.

Travel within country should be allowed for counties with low cases like Cork....... if the cases by 100,000 treble or something in a fortnight than lock up again. Loads are going outside their 5km anyway and cases in Cork are still tiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

MM and Leo are on with Claire Byrne at 9:30 to discuss the United Ireland. Wonder will they do much pandemic scare Mongering while they have a opportunity? Claire most certainly won’t ask them any difficult questions tho, that’s a given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Augeo wrote: »
    Travel within country should be allowed for counties with low cases like Cork....... if the cases by 100,000 treble or something in a fortnight than lock up again. Loads are going outside their 5km anyway and cases in Cork are still tiny.

Should open some of the safer things like gyms and hairdressers. People aren't really going to travel in for those and it acts as a reward for those of us adhering to restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Augeo wrote: »

I can see how people are getting frustrated now - the whole place still in lockdown when the biggest problem is contained within a few counties. Definitely agree that the restrictions should be eased for the counties with consistently low numbers. What's going in now is crazy and really pushing people to their limits. Unfortunately, we have a really weak leader :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Build a wall around Leinster.

Nothing to do with covid, just do it for the rest of our sakes!

Especially if this goes ahead :O

• Advertisement

Build a wall around Leinster.

Nothing to do with covid, just do it for the rest of our sakes!

Especially if this goes ahead :O

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1374110600087883779?s=20

Tried before 'The Pale' didn't work..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

Dublin just kept expanding and subsuming everything in its path. :'(

Those poor counties!

If they allow unfettered travel all over the country, the same thing will happen... except with covid instead of commuter towns.

Dublin just kept expanding and subsuming everything in its path. :'(

Those poor counties!

If they allow unfettered travel all over the country, the same thing will happen... except with covid instead of commuter towns.

Another reason they won't go for county based lockdown. Dublin mightn't get out till vaccines are finished?

saabsaab wrote: »
    Another reason they won't go for county based lockdown. Dublin mightn't get out till vaccines are finished?

They should be enough vaccines to do 3m people by end of Q2 if they get then into people's arms. That's not too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I'll be donating to Fota this weekend. Not a huge amount but I hope more people will too.

Looks like a few people had the same idea :)

Fota receives '€10,000 of individual private donations' over the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The best donation anyone could give to Fota would be to Buy an annual pass, if you think you will get even a few visits it will pay for itself and help the park out.

They are currently extending any annual passes so the closed months will be added on to the end.

I have great memories of Fota when I was a child, taking the trip from Galway to visit family in Cork. Now I'm based here, and this conversation has made me realise that, please God, I'll be able to bring my child to Fota to share that experience with that in a couple of years' time.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pen Rua wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40249268.html

The Lord Mayor in the Echo describing the aftermath of the weekend at Bell’s Field as being “like a war zone”

Was it a protest, youth revolt?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was it a protest, youth revolt?

I was on mobile last night so didn't get a chance to copy over the article... People gathered to enjoy the sun, but some gobsh-tes decided to set fire to wheelie bins (according to one resident). And the Lord Mayor took the chance to call for Gardaí to be vaccinated again.
    Local residents have expressed concern over crowds gathering in the Bell’s Field area.

Lord Mayor of Cork Cllr Joe Kavanagh, who visited the area at the weekend, said that such gatherings have become a problem of late, but stated that this weekend was particularly bad.

“I know youngsters are frustrated, they have nowhere to go but you have to have consideration for residential areas too. You can’t be going into housing estates or going into public green areas and literally destroying them which is what happened up in Bell’s Field,” he said.

“The aftermath- it was like a war zone,” he added.

One resident said that two wheelie bins were set on fire as crowds of people gathered in the area at the weekend.

“On Friday and Saturday night we had up to 150 people drinking, late in the evening, into the night. Friday night they started a large fire. They dragged in two full wheelie bins from the local houses...Friday night was the fire and a lot of people there, and Saturday night, again, there was about 150 people that were removed by gardaí late in the evening.”

The local resident said that such anti-social behavior has become a particular problem since the lockdown last year, with the recent good weather making matters worse.

“I guess our fear is that when the weather improves, that this activity is going to get worse if something isn’t done.”

They described the scenes on Friday and Saturday as the “worst we've seen in a long time”.

Gardaí said that they received a report of a large gathering in the Bell’s Field area of Cork City Saturday 20 March.

Gardaí arrived at approximately 6:50pm, engaged with those present and asked them to disperse. All complied in an orderly manner, they said.

The Lord Mayor commended the gardaí for their efforts over the weekend and reiterated calls that members of An Garda Síochána be prioritised for vaccinations.

“The gardaí need to be prioritised for vaccination because they are putting themselves into a vulnerable position here and not just the likes of Bell’s Field, this was happening right across the city over the weekend.”

Advertisement