Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Regional easing is like specifying a pissing area in a swimming pool without enforcement.

So enforce it then. You could easily open click and collect and hairdressers here and have zero effects from people coming down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭rob316

marno21 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for takeaway pints in town?

I've been going out to the harp, the muck in town is in paper cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

rob316 wrote: »
    I've been going out to the harp, the muck in town is in paper cups.

Beer garden in turners cross doing them also

Cheers even closer!

Harp was doing 4 euro beamish in plastic at the weekend. Lovely they were

rob316 wrote: »
    Cheers even closer!

Harp was doing 4 euro beamish in plastic at the weekend. Lovely they were

Open Thursday - Monday next weekend and they delivery also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They'll let you bring your own glasses too

TheChizler wrote: »
    They'll let you bring your own glasses too

Oh nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,437 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

titan18 wrote: »
    So enforce it then. You could easily open click and collect and hairdressers here and have zero effects from people coming down here.

It will always be half-arsed as we are afraid of violating 'sybil liberdees' and offending the sort of people who cry Police State when they are politely asked to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

marno21 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for takeaway pints in town?

Bierhaus is doing growlers of craft beer, the menu varies a little week to week but it's on their social media & Untappd. You pay €2 (0.5L) or €4 (1L) deposit for the growler they give you, plus the price of the beer. You can keep the growler to refill, or, come back and get the deposit back. Also have cans, bottles etc and I think they still have hot drinks (whiskeys) etc. I don't think they're doing pints into cups anymore (though they did pre-Christmas)

The lady from Nash19 was on Newstalk this morning speaking for Cork Business Association, mentioning they hope outdoor dining might be permitted from some time in April. Also I think she mentioned inter county travel rather than a x km limit and also non essential retail.
    She spoke very well and was quite balanced.

Pat Kenny has some lad on after 9am who reckons the thinking is that if we have the over 70s and vulnerable (most/many/lots of) vaccinated by end of May it might not be prudent to open up too quickly now, he referenced the deaths that were seen after Dec opening up and that the government would likely do all they could to avoid a repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I think we also need to be a bit careful we don’t just assume the U.K. and U.S. positions apply here, when they are about 6 weeks or even further ahead of us on vaccines.

They’re going to open earlier than us and that’s just the reality of it due to the later arrival of doses. The politics behind that are complex and not really domestic, but the result of it all is a few countries are way out ahead and we, along with the rest of Europe, while ahead of much of the world are in the second group in terms of initial speed of rollout.

The reality is we may catch up by June and July as supply volumes in the EU really ramp up between now and then, but we aren’t at the same point as U.K. or the US.

If we demand opening to that level too soon, we risk a big spike, particularly with the U.K. varient being almost totally dominant here now.

We can probably relax things but I can see the logic of baby steps right now. A huge setback by rushing it too fast could just delay us by causing a further lockdown.

If we could get rid of the 5km and get to county level restrictions and regionalised management plans for high infection areas it would be a huge step forward.

Also the better weather and outdoor dining has a lot of potential to work fine, as long as it’s well managed and people retain a bit of cop on.

Cork’s low rates are a huge benefit but if people start wandering all over the country before the vaccines are a lot more widespread, we’ll lose that advantage quickly. So I think the county bounds limits and non essential intercounty travel limits are going to probably be slow to lift.

I think we also need to be a bit careful we.......... ................

I agree with all of your post 100%, fingers crossed we get to the end game ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

County-wide travel and things like the zoo are being talked about
    https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1376856999825129472?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had to laugh at that "2 households can meet outdoors from April 12th" thing. Even the most careful people I know have been doing the coffee/walk thing with friends/family. If they think that's a change from the status quo, they're living in proper cloud cuckoo land.

Indeed, also a barber was saying in the media that most folk he sees out and about are sporting professional haircuts and not DIY jobs so there's sense in allowing hairdressers and barbers to open also IMO.

Augeo wrote: »
    Indeed, also a barber was saying in the media that most folk he sees out and about are sporting professional haircuts and not DIY jobs so there's sense in allowing hairdressers and barbers to open also IMO.

I wish people would let me know where they're getting them, my hair is an absolute state at the moment :D

Stark wrote: »
    I wish people would let me know where they're getting them, my hair is an absolute state at the moment :D

I have now resorted to a baseball cap to tame the hair! Last haircut was in December :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Pen Rua wrote: »
    I have now resorted to a baseball cap to tame the hair! Last haircut was in December :o

My last hair cut was July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Looks like Fota will be able to reopen from the end of April. Great news for them assuming it's confirmed later on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Looks like Fota will be able to reopen from the end of April. Great news for them assuming it's confirmed later on.

I don't understand why it can't open now. Why wait?

There won't be any change until the schools are back after Easter Holidays anyway I imagine.

There won't be any change until the schools are back after Easter Holidays anyway I imagine.

That’s my thoughts too as they keep telling us schools are safe and most cases in schools are getting chalked up to community transmission. So once the schools return and if there’s a spike a few weeks later it can be blamed on construction or something else that has be eased up as opposed to schools

Once 200k/250k vaccines/week start being administered there's less hosts for Covid19....... if it wasn't for the vaccine we'd be in trouble, it'll be tough for another month or two but the end of the tunnel is not too far away IMO.

800k vaccines administered to date....... end of April should see that at 1.8m and end of May 2.8m.

A slow easing in parallel with the vaccine rollout will see us out of this (well L1 or L2 or something).

It's very tough but we are almost there. Christmas was 3 months ago, the weeks do pass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Has anyone heard of vaccinations for the Cork area being done by the Ambulance service? These are supposed to be starting from Dublin and working outward from there. Unfortunately HSE has not provided any communications on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Once 200k/250k vaccines/week start being administered there's less hosts for Covid19....... if it wasn't for the vaccine we'd be in trouble, it'll be tough for another month or two but the end of the tunnel is not too far away IMO.

800k vaccines administered to date....... end of April should see that at 1.8m and end of May 2.8m.

A slow easing in parallel with the vaccine rollout will see us out of this (well L1 or L2 or something).

It's very tough but we are almost there. Christmas was 3 months ago, the weeks do pass.

Between the vaccines and those with previous infection, that's now 1m+ who should have some immunity or increased resistance.

Just hope the vaccination supplies now are steady; they've been rising and dipping like Snakes and Ladders.

who_me wrote: »
    Between the vaccines and those with previous infection, that's now 1m+ who should have some immunity or increased resistance.

They're not taking into account previous infections when deciding who gets vaccinated though so there could well be a lot of overlap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I really hope that we don't move from the frying pan into the fire as it were. When supply no longer becomes an issue will the HSE be capable of efficiently administering circa 250K doses a week? I'm not fully convinced as things stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

I had to laugh at that "2 households can meet outdoors from April 12th" thing. Even the most careful people I know have been doing the coffee/walk thing with friends/family. If they think that's a change from the status quo, they're living in proper cloud cuckoo land.

You nicely paraphrased a message I sent to a friend this morning there. Has nobody looked in Fitzgerald park and/or the Lee Fields recently & I'd imagine the parks in Dublin are even busier :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm not able to find the tweet, but one of the political correspondent types tweeted that this was more or less acknowledging what has already been going on as opposed to something new from the authorities. We give the authorities flack, but I don't think they are that naive - they have families, friends too.

Advertisement