Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There is now just 7 patients in hospital with COVID in Cork - all 7 are in the CUH with 2 in ICU.

I wonder what the epidemiology of those hospitalised cases is...

It wouldn’t be released for privacy purposes of course with such a small group, but I wonder if the currently hospitalised patients nationally or regionally have some factors in common that could inform better targeted vaccines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Gardai will have a particular focus on West Cork beauty spots this weekend. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40255136.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Gardai will have a particular focus on West Cork beauty spots this weekend. https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40255136.html

I 100% see why this is, it is just very frustrating when you can practically go up and down to Dublin without being stopped, yet can't get down to west cork.

30 fines handed out at a house party in Cork City, where attendees had travelled from Kerry to join in.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-40255292.html

The Echo states it took place "in the environs of UCC", despite there been no comment as to the people actually involved.

Clear what they're trying to stir there. A lot of people live in the "environs of UCC"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I 100% see why this is, it is just very frustrating when you can practically go up and down to Dublin without being stopped, yet can't get down to west cork.

A bit like Trumps wall. Building it would have provided protection to Mexico against him and his cronies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While the new vaccine rollout is simpler and, hopefully, more efficient, I think I'd be fairly peeved if I was an essential retail worker, a teacher or a Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

While the new vaccine rollout is simpler and, hopefully, more efficient, I think I'd be fairly peeved if I was an essential retail worker, a teacher or a Garda.

I'm sick of all the interest groups and lobbies wanting their members bumped up the list.

If AZ had delivered on their commitments the teachers etc might have been done by now, they aren't though and with 1m/month vaccines (ish) available to be administered from now on it's best to just crack on with the age only thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,436 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Augeo wrote: »
    If AZ had delivered on their commitments the teachers etc might have been done by now, they aren't though and with 1m/month vaccines (ish) available to be administered from now on it's best to just crack on with the age only thing.

Yes.
    The way it is it's like people trying to elbow their way into the lifeboats. We all have our own problems.

pwurple wrote: »
    I wonder what the epidemiology of those hospitalised cases is...

It wouldn’t be released for privacy purposes of course with such a small group, but I wonder if the currently hospitalised patients nationally or regionally have some factors in common that could inform better targeted vaccines.

Caught it on the radio at lunchtime. The largest proportion of hospitalised patients are homeless, travelling community, or Roma.

The epidemiologist on the radio was advocating increasing the vaccines in those groups, based on the data that they are more likely to be hospitalised. But from a practical perspective, those groups are possibly also likely to be more difficult to track and call for vaccines. Maybe that's just bias on my part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

pwurple wrote: »
    Caught it on the radio at lunchtime. The largest proportion of hospitalised patients are homeless, travelling community, or Roma.

The epidemiologist on the radio was advocating increasing the vaccines in those groups, based on the data that they are more likely to be hospitalised. But from a practical perspective, those groups are possibly also likely to be more difficult to track and call for vaccines. Maybe that's just bias on my part.

Some craic to give the travelling community preference because they ignore restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

411 cases, 6 deaths.
    19 in Cork.

411 cases, 6 deaths.
    19 in Cork.

Did someone in NPHET / HPSC / Dept of Health set their clocks 2-3 hours forward last week, instead of just one hour? Seems very early today. :pac:

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Did someone in NPHET / HPSC / Dept of Health set their clocks 2-3 hours forward last week, instead of just one hour? Seems very early today. :pac:

Clocking off early today for the easter weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,524 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

How can they say the R number is 1.3 when cork and other counties are consistently low? National figures are becoming very unrepresentative.

TheDriver wrote: »
    How can they say the R number is 1.3 when cork and other counties are consistently low? National figures are becoming very unrepresentative.
    The R number represents cases 10-14 days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

TheDriver wrote: »

With the way things have been lately with amounts tested jumping up and falling down and this leading to the cases yo-yoing I look at the positivity average now too give a bit of guide outside of the R number

17th March
    15,309 tested 669 positive = 4.37%
    7 day average 3.9%

24th March
    19,979 tested 694 positive = 3.47%
    7 day average 3.9%

31st March
    21,051 tested 712 positive = 3.38%
    7 day average 3.3%

So week on week the amounts tested each Wednesday have grown. NPHET only tell us each evening how many are positive. As seen above the cases may be up but the positivity rate continues to fall per day on the amounts tested and has fallen over the last 7 days too on the average

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

411 cases, 6 deaths.
    19 in Cork.

RIP those 6

• Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some craic to give the travelling community preference because they ignore restrictions.

I presume that computer simulations have been done to see the quickest, least numbers of deaths vaccine roll out solutions? May indicate such a move overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭rodders999

Friends of ours have 2 kids who both woke up with coughs yesterday, rang the GP and had a test 4 hours later.

Result back in less than 24 hours - all negative.

Very fast turnaround at the moment.

UP CORK!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,073 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A website allowing for everyone to register for a Covid vaccine will be available within two or three weeks, the Taoiseach has told the Dáil.

The portal will be available to allow everyone to apply from mid-April or the third week of next month, Micheál Martin told Deputies.

He said the aim was to have 80 per cent of the population vaccinated by the end of June, and not just offered the vaccine.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/everyone-will-be-able-to-register-for-their-vaccine-jab-on-new-online-portal-by-third-week-of-april-taoiseach-40260994.html

5 in the CUH as of 8pm tonight with 2 in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

5 in the CUH as of 8pm tonight with 2 in ICU

Looks like none on this?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

aisling86 wrote: »
    Looks like none on this?
    That image doesn't show hospitals with less than 7 patients.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-31-march-2021.pdf

Page 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

272 in hospital, a fall of 56 since Sunday is a huge drop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

News tonight from FF PP meeting is that it's now reduced to 860k for April!

News tonight from FF PP meeting is that it's now reduced to 860k for April!

1m available and 860k administered?
    The 1m was to be delivered from last Friday to end of April iirc.

860k administered in April would be great IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

1m available and 860k administered?
    The 1m was to be delivered from last Friday to end of April iirc.

860k administered in April would be great IMO.

Just on the lag as we’ve both spoken before about it. if 170K wasn’t that conservative to hold back before would 140K be under conservative to hold back in your opinion? How long does it take for a first dose to become expired on the basis that 1 dose offers some partial immunity and the second almost* full immunity.

*I know different sources are debating the effectiveness of 1st dose and 2nd dose etc I mean from a general over view?

Just on the lag as we’ve both spoken before about it. if 170K wasn’t that conservative to hold back before would 140K be under conservative to hold back in your opinion? How long does it take for a first dose to become expired on the basis that 1 dose offers some partial immunity and the second almost* full immunity. ............

Dunno tbh.

The 170k was a point in time, I doubt they always had 170k in stock when 800k was being administered over 3 months.

Not all of the 170k was being held back also, a proportion of it would have been but some of it was just not administered as yet. Also some of it was likely due to the 1 week halt in administering the AZ vaccine.

From last week to the end of April info in the public domain suggest 1m doses were being delivered......... with 1m for May and increased supply after that. I'm not sure the 860k figure is what will be administered in April, if it is I'd be thinking that some of the 140k you refer to has been administered in the last week in March.

The minister for health guy was on the radio a day or so ago and he reckoned there was almost 100% confidence in the supplies now so and he also claimed to be that confident in getting the delivered doses administered.

I've no idea about the bolded bit tbh. AZ is a 3 month gap between doses, that offers a decent window, even the Pfizer 3 to 4 weeks is mitigation not to hold much back if Pfizer are confident of hitting their targets. In the spirit of vaccinating folk as quickly as possible holding back vaccines to mitigate against a supply issue when there's confidence in the supply lines might well be overly cautious. The reward to vaccinate folk might well outweigh the risk, mitigation can't be anything but proportionate for effective project management. It can still go wrong of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

My dad got the first dose this morning! Strangely though they haven’t given him a date for his second dose - they said they’ll ring him...

Advertisement