Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,064 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

corkie wrote: »
    7 deaths and 418 cases confirmed:

167 in Dublin, 39 in Cork, 32 in Donegal, 29 in Kildare, 22 in Meath and the remaining 129 cases are spread across 20 other counties

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a6669-statement-from-the-national-public-health-emergency-team-wednesday-5-may/

Maybe all counties will have a report of party gathering etc., hotline like in Donegal, name and shame and fine

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Maybe all counties will have a report of party gathering etc., hotline like in Donegal, name and shame and fine
    I sincerely hope not.

Now that we're coming out of lockdown, and cases are becoming a meaningless metric with the level of vaccination and accordingly, community immunity, the last thing we need to be doing is instituting measures typical of a police state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The party hotline is ridiculous, hope we never see something like that

marno21 wrote: »
    I sincerely hope not.
    Now that we're coming out of lockdown, and cases are becoming a meaningless metric with the level of vaccination and accordingly, community immunity, the last thing we need to be doing is instituting measures typical of a police state.

It probably won't happen down here but Donegal has always been so high

With vaccines and lifting restrictions I would hope everyone of all ages would still be careful, relax and enjoy but take care too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The party hotline is ridiculous, hope we never see something like that

I thought those party hotlines were premium rate numbers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Cork Lass wrote: »

Will they come with a three year warranty like the power tools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

A buddy sent that onto me earlier today with the comment that they'll be selling vaccines in a few weeks :)

About time. My brother in Germany is able to buy them in every corner shop in his city. We're so far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Some people i know that registered this week are receiving their vaccinations next week - 1 week turnaround time. Registered myself today so hoping to get my first jab fairly quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Covid-19: Eight further deaths and 393 new cases

173 cases in Dublin, 42 in Cork, 34 in Kildare, 26 in Donegal, 15 in Meath and the remaining 103 cases are spread across 20 other counties.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0506/1214210-covid-ireland-latest/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Disappointing figures

Hopefully we can get them to decrease soon

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Disappointing figures

Hopefully we can get them to decrease soon

Won’t be decreasing anytime soon imo, only thing to watch is hospitals

COVID-19 14-day incidence rates per 100,000 population by Local Electoral Area (LEA), Cork 20/04/2021 to 03/05/2021

Bandon-Kinsale - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 18 (+8), LEA rate per 100k pop: 35 (+22)

Bantry-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

Carrigaline - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 25 (+19), LEA rate per 100k pop: 71 (+54)

Cobh - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 25 (-2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 73 (-6)

Cork City North East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 16 (+7), LEA rate per 100k pop: 38 (+17)

Cork City North West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: 67 (-)

Cork City South Central - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 29 (+29), LEA rate per 100k pop: 101 (+74)

Cork City South East - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 29 (+18), LEA rate per 100k pop: 68 (+52)

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 60 (+40), LEA rate per 100k pop: 128 (+85)

Fermoy - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 27 (+2), LEA rate per 100k pop: 74 (+6)

Kanturk - Confirmed Cases in LEA: <5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: <5 (-)

Macroom - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 8 (+1), LEA rate per 100k pop: 22 (+3)

Mallow - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 13 (+3), LEA rate per 100k pop: 45 (+10)

Midleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 86 (+32), LEA rate per 100k pop: 189 (+70)

Skibbereen-West Cork - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 5 (-), LEA rate per 100k pop: 16.5 (-)

Clearly a number of very large clusters in the city and in East Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

Cork City South West - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 60 (+40), LEA rate per 100k pop: 128 (+85)

Middleton - Confirmed Cases in LEA: 86 (+32), LEA rate per 100k pop: 189 (+70)

Clearly a number of very large clusters in the city and in East Cork

Middleton would probably be a spread from the Youghal School Party breakout?

But has there been any reports in Cork City South West (Bishopstown+ area)?

Midleton LEA contains Youghal
    South West contains the Mardyke and a number of student accomodations

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

There was a few cases in Spiriod Naomh school in Bishopstown last week apparently.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

44 in Cork today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

marno21 wrote: »
    44 in Cork today.

Disappointing that, as the vaccine rollout is really gathering pace, Cork seems to be going backwards in terms of case numbers :(

I know it's not loads, but compared to recent weeks it's a fairly noticeable increase.

Of today’s 434 cases, half are under 31 and 80% are under 45

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Disappointing that, as the vaccine rollout is really gathering pace, Cork seems to be going backwards in terms of case numbers :(

I know it's not loads, but compared to recent weeks it's a fairly noticeable increase.

is that from the outbreak down in youghal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Heard big outbreak in Bishopstown

Could account for some of the numbers

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Heard big outbreak in Bishopstown

Could account for some of the numbers
    That would back up the cork city south west lea numbers going up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Of today’s 434 cases, half are under 31 and 80% are under 45

This is really important. With the vaccines rolling out, cases now, quite frankly mean nothing. All of the metrics for the elderly and vulnerable are plummeting at an astonishing rate.

leahyl wrote: »

Are we still the second highest after Dublin, hopefully these clusters can be contained

Dr Tony referring to co-vid today as a disease several times.... Was it not always referred to as a virus or have I missed something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

This is really important. With the vaccines rolling out, cases now, quite frankly mean nothing. All of the metrics for the elderly and vulnerable are plummeting at an astonishing rate.

Agreed. What's really encouraging is that the vaccines are working. We are seen it in the figures as more and more get the jab the less cases in the vaccinated age groups. There is hope!!!

Dr Tony referring to co-vid today as a disease several times.... Was it not always referred to as a virus or have I missed something?
    Covid-19 is the disease caused by SARS-CoV-2 (the virus).

In simpler language, Covid is caused by the coronavirus.

The terms Covid and coronavirus are often used interchangeably to the distress of pedants.

Agreed. What's really encouraging is that the vaccines are working. We are seen it in the figures as more and more get the jab the less cases in the vaccinated age groups. There is hope!!!

We need to see no deaths from it and less hospitalisations

• Advertisement

We need to see no deaths from it and less hospitalisations

I don’t agree. Deaths in May are under 2 a day. Hospitalizations are way down. Do you want deaths from flu and pneumonia eradicated also? The reality is this virus will be with us in some form for a very very long time. Zero Covid along with a normal lifestyle isn’t something we will see anytime soon, if ever. Best we can do is get numbers as low as we can, dish out vaccines and return to our normal lifestyle.

Advertisement