Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Augeo wrote: »
    The Indian variant is putting the final steps in reopening the UK in some doubt so its hardly 'nonsense'.
    Spreading primarily in areas that threw restrictions out the window during Ramadan. Variant is irrelevant in that case. We saw the exact same thing in Limerick over the last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    16 arrests in Dublin and Cork over large crowds street drinking last night

Even Tony tweeted about Dublin

https://twitter.com/CMOIreland/status/1398724543536041990

Even worse that he sent the tweet tbh. Very ill judged and a feeling of threatening the public for enjoying the outdoor summer they were told to have. What does he want?

Have no issue personally with the crowd as long as they are not disturbing the ships and operations on the quay, although I believe it may be the case they are considering they had a loud hailer there on Sunday asking people to disperse telling them they were trespassing. Shame they cannot clean up as well. But overall, I can't blame them. Open the pubs and stop takeaway pints would reduce the crowds no end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭rob316

https://www.echolive.ie/corkviews/arid-40302404.html

What a piece of thrash this article is. No science, just pure fearmongering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Totally agree rob! Why continue wearing a mask forever once everyone is fully vaccinated?

The terror people get wrapped up in. Must be so stressful in their heads.

Spreading primarily in areas that threw restrictions out the window during Ramadan. Variant is irrelevant in that case. We saw the exact same thing in Limerick over the last 2 weeks.

Not at all, variants with multiple mutations that are thought to make them more transmissible ........ very relevent.

As more people throw caution to the wind and with easing restrictions more transmissible variants are of more concert, basic enough stuff.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corkviews/arid-40302404.html

What a piece of thrash this article is. No science, just pure fearmongering.
    notAMember wrote: »
    Totally agree rob! Why continue wearing a mask forever once everyone is fully vaccinated?

Author is a loon IMO.
    Complete rubbish........ anyone who supported at least some of the restrictions know why they are/were there............ supporting the easing of them should be built on the same trust and logic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Unrelated to the article but I'll probably continue to wear a mask in certain situations in future eg: in a crowded bus or a crowded waiting room at my GP etc. If it'll stop me from getting sick or the flu (or giving it to others) then how bad. People in a lot of Asian countries used to do this before Covid and it's good practice imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Unrelated to the article but I'll probably continue to wear a mask in certain situations in future eg: in a crowded bus or a crowded waiting room at my GP etc. If it'll stop me from getting sick or the flu (or giving it to others) then how bad. People in a lot of Asian countries used to do this before Covid and it's good practice imo.

Each to their own but I cannot wait to finally see the back of masks! I’ve an immune system and things like crowded bus’s and Dr Surgery’s won’t bother me in the slightest I’ll trust myself to fight it off

Sure , why not if it makes you more comfortable.

Mandatory is a different story, and I don't want that continuing. I find the masks inconvenient personally, it's something else to manage, wash, dry, bring with me in a non-contaminated container, touch in a certain way etc. Colds don't bother me, I wear gloves in winter and I get my flu jab annually. I'm happy to assess risks myself and take that responsibility for my own health.

I have hearing-impaired family and friends, who can't communicate as easily when they can't see faces to lipread, and I know they find that very challenging in shops in particular.

Discretion is fine. Regulation = hard nope from me.

Hospital numbers are coming down nationally, wish we could see the local numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

We are told that wearing a mask is about protecting other people if we are infected. wearing a mask won't stop us catching covid from someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

We are told that wearing a mask is about protecting other people if we are infected. wearing a mask won't stop us catching covid from someone else.

I'm talking about post-covid, hence my comment about giving others the flu while at the doctor's etc.

Speaking of such, I wonder will employees encourage people who have a cold or similar symptoms to work from home in future? (where possible, obv) In my workplace there's one bollix who would ALWAYS be coughing and sneezing all over the place when he's clearly in the early stages of a cold and by the end of the week half the office is sick. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

That message has been lost and that wearing a mask is to protect others not yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I'm talking about post-covid, hence my comment about giving others the flu while at the doctor's etc.

Speaking of such, I wonder will employees encourage people who have a cold or similar symptoms to work from home in future? (where possible, obv) In my workplace there's one bollix who would ALWAYS be coughing and sneezing all over the place when he's clearly in the early stages of a cold and by the end of the week half the office is sick. :pac:

There's one in every office and at least with the pandemic you can tell him/her to cover their nose, wear a mask or fcuk off home. Same can be said for parents sending a sick child to school to infect others because they won't take time off.

votecounts wrote: »
    There's one in every office and at least with the pandemic you can tell him/her to cover their nose, wear a mask or fcuk off home. ...........

Going forward this will be standard practise if some thick has the ignorance to wander into an office when they are ill.

votecounts wrote: »
    Same can be said for parents sending a sick child to school to infect others because they won't can't take time off.

FYP

In Ireland, you don't have any right to leave work for a sick child. This is a legal entitlement in other countries.

Most employers won't object to someone taking leave for a sick child........ so it's very much a case of "won't" in many cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

FYP

In Ireland, you don't have any right to leave work for a sick child. This is a legal entitlement in other countries.

Paid leave, there is force majeur in place though

Most employers won't object to someone taking leave for a sick child........ so it's very much a case of "won't" in many cases.
    But some will, and some will also use it to build a case for absenteeism. I've seen it enough times to be wary of it myself.

Mushy wrote: »
    Paid leave, there is force majeur in place though
    Here in ireland, a child with a snotty nose is not considered force majeur.

But some will, and some will also use it to build a case for absenteeism. I've seen it enough times to be wary of it myself.

How many times have you seen it?
    So you send ill kids to school instead of taking time off to look after them at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Indian variant is putting the final steps in reopening the UK in some doubt so its hardly 'nonsense'.

If the UK is concerned about it - given they're well ahead of us in vaccination terms - then we should be very worried about it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1399759933353168897

As of midnight, Monday 31 May, we are reporting
    337* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

34 in ICU. 89 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,056 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hotels reopening tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,056 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

who_me wrote: »
    If the UK is concerned about it - given they're well ahead of us in vaccination terms - then we should be very worried about it here.

It's not of huge concern I suppose but it wouldn't be in anyone's interests to see a significant proportion of the unvaccinated under 45s contract it. If the virus got prevalent the efficacy of the vaccines would have lots worried and restrictions uneased perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Got the Pfizer vaccine today in the City Hall. Walked in the gate at 1445 and out the exit at 1510. Incredibly efficient and well organised. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What dictates whether you go to City Hall, PUC or CIT? Is it to do with age groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Absolutely no idea. I know people in my age group who live in Glasheen and Passage West who ended up in PUC. Others from Turners Cross and ended up in CIT. I'm in Rochestown and ended up in City Hall. All of us got same vaccine.
    Might be something to do with which vaccine is available in which center on each day or second round vaccines. No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Postcode is the only thing that dictates your MVC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Postcode is the only thing that dictates your MVC.

My husband went to City Hall and I went to PuC - no idea why. He's one year older and we were both given Pfizer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

Cork Lass wrote: »
    My husband went to City Hall and I went to PuC - no idea why. He's one year older and we were both given Pfizer.

Same here, my wife and I got different centres.

Advertisement