Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Eir code isn’t how they are assigned. my parents, same age, same house, registered on same day, sent to different centres.

Augeo wrote: »
    How many times have you seen it?
    Enough times to be wary of it.
    So you send ill kids to school instead of taking time off to look after them at home?

“Ill?” I said snotty nose, but if you consider that ill, then yes, of course. That’s the advice even in COVID times from the teachers and principal b t dubs. Otherwise the little snot rags would be imprisoned at home roughly 500 days a year. ;)

What do you do? Force majure claim slammed in each time the tissue box triggered warning alarm goes off?

votecounts wrote: »
    There's one in every office and at least with the pandemic you can tell him/her to cover their nose, wear a mask or fcuk off home. Same can be said for parents sending a sick child to school to infect others because they won't take time off.
    notAMember wrote: »
    FYP

In Ireland, you don't have any right to leave work for a sick child. This is a legal entitlement in other countries.
    Most employers won't object to someone taking leave for a sick child........ so it's very much a case of "won't" in many cases.
    Enough times to be wary of it.

“Ill?” I said snotty nose, but if you consider that ill, then yes, of course. That’s the advice even in COVID times from the teachers and principal b t dubs. Otherwise the little snot rags would be imprisoned at home roughly 500 days a year. ;)

What do you do? Force majure claim slammed in each time the tissue box triggered warning alarm goes off?

Sick child was mentioned several times. You were the only mention of snotty nose iirc.
    Go back on topic to sick child and I might entertain your innane queries, I likely won't though as I've decided what you are at ;)

I asked you to quantify & you came back with 'enough times', non specific vagueness.... Aka horsesh1t

Again. When your child is ill what do you do?

Let’s do it this way. Why don’t you give me your experience instead of demanding more of my personal details? It’s a bit creepy/stalkery otherwise.

What answer would you expect like?

I Bobby mccarthy worked at Cisco and I saw Fred o Connor get bumped down the promotion list because he took shedloads of time off of his kid having a cold. I obviously can’t give specifics, I’m on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Sick child was mentioned several times. You were the only mention of snotty nose iirc.
    Go back on topic to sick child and I might entertain your innane queries, I likely won't though as I've decided what you are at ;)

I asked you to quantify & you came back with 'enough times', non specific vagueness.... Aka horsesh1t

Again. When your child is ill what do you do?

Why is it always you in this thread?

• Advertisement

Let’s do it this way. Why don’t you give me your experience instead of demanding more of my personal details? It’s a bit creepy/stalkery otherwise.

What answer would you expect like?

I Bobby mccarthy worked at Cisco and I saw Fred o Connor get bumped down the promotion list because he took shedloads of time off of his kid having a cold. I obviously can’t give specifics, I’m on boards.

I just asked how many times :) I didn't ask for any personal details, no idea what you are sh1tting on about there tbh. You've little idea what you are sh1tting on about yourself though either.
    So the answer I would expect would be a number......... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6 etc etc ...... the actual one is likely zero which is why you are sh1tting on about imagined creepy/stalkery queries that weren't asked :)

I didn't ask for any personal details........
    How many times have you seen it?
    So you send ill kids to school instead of taking time off to look after them at home?

jackrussel wrote: »
    Why is it always you in this thread?
    Use the ignore function if you want.

My experience from several reputable companies I've worked in, tens (literally 50. 60 + cases over 15 years) of times.......... "X isn't in today as their child is sick" ......... "X can or cannot be contacted if required today"

You hardly want the names of the companies or are you trying be be creepy/stalkery?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Cut out the rudeness and personal attacks.

My experience from several reputable companies I've worked in, tens (literally 50. 60 + cases over 15 years) of times.......... "X isn't in today as their child is sick" ......... "X can or cannot be contacted if required today"

Gotcha. Your experience is from the viewpoint of a peer, and you are childless.

My experience is the other way around. Management perspective, and as a working parent.

It's a completely different point of view / frame of reference, so of course our experiences will be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

"Think outdoors this summer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

namloc1980 wrote: »

"Think outdoors this summer"

tbf, I think the scenario here is a little different. While I understand the Pork of Cork Company is a State body, it is still its own corporate being and is distinct from Cork City Council.

This is the Port of Cork closing their property to the public.

It really feels like a matter of time before someone falls into the port, as happens in Galway occasionally when people gather to drink. I would definitely see a huge risk from a public liability perspective as to having hundreds gather over the weekend.

Not to mention that the port is in fact that - an operating cargo port which ships actively coming and going.

Compare to Galway City, where the council is closing public spaces under the guise of COVID and health & safety.

Now, if the Council opted to close parks or something it would be a different conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What a joke.

By meeting up outdoors people are doing exactly what they should, and exactly what they have been told to do.

Let’s give out next week when people choose to have house parties instead.

This has been happening for weeks with no change in case numbers but only now because Tony Holohan tweeted about it in Dublin it has to change.

If there is a problem with litter then get some litter wardens patrolling and put in more bins.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    tbf, I think the scenario here is a little different. While I understand the Pork of Cork Company is a State body, it is still its own corporate being and is distinct from Cork City Council.

This is the Port of Cork closing their property to the public.

It really feels like a matter of time before someone falls into the port, as happens in Galway occasionally when people gather to drink. I would definitely see a huge risk from a public liability perspective as to having hundreds gather over the weekend.

Not to mention that the port is in fact that - an operating cargo port which ships actively coming and going.

Compare to Galway City, where the council is closing public spaces under the guise of COVID and health & safety.

Now, if the Council opted to close parks or something it would be a different conversation.

Yea, nobody should have any fun just in case one eejit does something stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I think it outlines a bigger issue of the lack of public spaces in the city. It's pretty grim in the city centre if you just want to sit down somewhere.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

An entirely correct decision by the Port of Cork, and one that has been coming for some time. Kennedy Quay is a working port area, and in the last few weekends it has become a free for all of car parking and groups drinking, in area where heavy machinery is operating and ships are being unloaded. It makes perfect sense to fence off working port areas before there's an accident.

Even with this, there is plenty of room for groups to gather without interfering with live port operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

marno21 wrote: »
    An entirely correct decision by the Port of Cork, and one that has been coming for some time. Kennedy Quay is a working port area, and in the last few weekends it has become a free for all of car parking and groups drinking, in area where heavy machinery is operating and ships are being unloaded. It makes perfect sense to fence off working port areas before there's an accident.

Even with this, there is plenty of room for groups to gather without interfering with live port operations.

Absolutely agree. The ships crews there trying to do a job as well, can't be easy with that carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

bell's field, lee fields, kennedy park, shalom park, bishop lucey park, fitzgerald's park, parnell plaza, grand parade boardwalk, cornmarket street plaza, new squares at horgan's quay, tramore valley park, connaught avenue park, the marina, blackrock pier. There are plenty of outdoor areas in or near the city centre people can go to meet up, with most near or on the river. also, I think anyone who is surprised that "think outdoors" didn't mean hundreds of people next to eachother on an open quayside in an active port area where a lot of alcohol is being consumed is being purposely ignorant.

Gotcha. Your experience is from the viewpoint of a peer, and you are childless.

My experience is the other way around. Management perspective, and as a working parent.

It's a completely different point of view / frame of reference, so of course our experiences will be different.

So you are part of the problem so?

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think it outlines a bigger issue of the lack of public spaces in the city. It's pretty grim in the city centre if you just want to sit down somewhere.

Agreed - it's one of the things I miss about Galway. There you have Salthill, South Park (Swamp), Spanish Arch, canals...
    Yea, nobody should have any fun just in case one eejit does something stupid.

Pork of Cork Company Limited would have a different view if someone were to fall into the water, injure themselves or worse on their property. An entirely reasonable decision by a body corporate.
    What a joke.

By meeting up outdoors people are doing exactly what they should, and exactly what they have been told to do.

Let’s give out next week when people choose to have house parties instead.

This has been happening for weeks with no change in case numbers but only now because Tony Holohan tweeted about it in Dublin it has to change.

If there is a problem with litter then get some litter wardens patrolling and put in more bins.

But the Pork of Cork Company Limited are not the ones telling them to have an outdoor summer, that is the Govt policy. We, as the public, have no right to go drinking in a working port owned by the company, just as we do not have a right to go and hangout in, say, an office block in that same area.

Pork of Cork's press release did not comment on the litter, so a moot point. Nevertheless, not sure I'd love to be a litter warden trying to hand out fines in a hundreds deep langarded crowd.

bell's field, lee fields, kennedy park, shalom park, bishop lucey park, fitzgerald's park, parnell plaza, grand parade boardwalk, cornmarket street plaza, new squares at horgan's quay, tramore valley park, connaught avenue park, the marina, blackrock pier. There are plenty of outdoor areas in or near the city centre people can go to meet up, with most near or on the river. also, I think anyone who is surprised that "think outdoors" didn't mean hundreds of people next to eachother on an open quayside in an active port area where a lot of alcohol is being consumed is being purposely ignorant.

Just to add here, to be fair, there was furore in March around the state of Bell's Field when it came to bins being lit on fire and serious disturbances to residents.

But clearly, Bell's Field (a public park) is preferable to a working port.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Just to add here, to be fair, there was furore in March around the state of Bell's Field when it came to bins being lit on fire and serious disturbances to residents.

But clearly, Bell's Field (a public park) is preferable to a working port.
    But people need to have common sense. If you go to a park that is full of hundreds of people, leave. If you don't want to leave, don't litter. People are perfectly capable of carrying very heavy, full beer cans to these places, they can carry them back. I don't get why people can't meet up outdoors without leaving a mess behind. Are more bins needed? Yes. But this is more than a bin issue

I am not saying you but in a general way. How is it okay to litter and urinate in public just because you have alcohol in you? Or at least excusable. Obviously not everyone going to these gatherings is a litter bug or a bad person, however clearly enough are. it's sad.

• Advertisement

But people need to have common sense. If you go to a park that is full of hundreds of people, leave. If you don't want to leave, don't litter. People are perfectly capable of carrying very heavy, full beer cans to these places, they can carry them back. I don't get why people can't meet up outdoors without leaving a mess behind. Are more bins needed? Yes. But this is more than a bin issue

I am not saying you but in a general way. How is it okay to litter and urinate in public just because you have alcohol in you? Or at least excusable. Obviously not everyone going to these gatherings is a litter bug or a bad person, however clearly enough are. it's sad.

I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to do when I trek up to Bell's Field is to immediately turn around :pac:

Agreed - it's one of the things I miss about Galway. There you have Salthill, South Park (Swamp), Spanish Arch, canals...

Pork of Cork Company Limited would have a different view if someone were to fall into the water, injure themselves or worse on their property. An entirely reasonable decision by a body corporate.

But the Pork of Cork Company Limited are not the ones telling them to have an outdoor summer, that is the Govt policy. We, as the public, have no right to go drinking in a working port owned by the company, just as we do not have a right to go and hangout in, say, an office block in that same area.

Pork of Cork's press release did not comment on the litter, so a moot point. Nevertheless, not sure I'd love to be a litter warden trying to hand out fines in a hundreds deep langarded crowd.

If it’s such a problem why is it only an issue now? Been going on for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1400082232765816834

As of midnight, Tuesday 1 June, we are reporting
    407* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

34 in ICU. 93 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Got my Janssen vaccine in City Hall, Cork, this morning. Today and tomorrow there administrating that.
    Feedback on getting it & Appointment details.

If it’s such a problem why is it only an issue now? Been going on for weeks.

Rightly or wrongly, it's in the news cycle and is this week's big problem. Plus we have a bank holiday coming up so chances are it's going to be even busier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Cork is not among the top 4 highest incidence counties which is good news.
    Limerick, Offaly, Donegal and Dublin listed as the top 4.
    700 cases in Limerick in the last 14 days as I referred to in my previous posts. Next highest isn't even close, something like 300 in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Celmullet

Does anyone know the current wait times for the Covid vaccine after signing up through the HSE portal?

Celmullet wrote: »
    Does anyone know the current wait times for the Covid vaccine after signing up through the HSE portal?
    What age?

Rightly or wrongly, it's in the news cycle and is this week's big problem. Plus we have a bank holiday coming up so chances are it's going to be even busier.

All the more reason to have more outdoor space available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

A lot jumping on the we need more outdoor space in Cork band waggon. If restrictions ended fully in the morning I wonder would these people be calling to scale back funding in this area.

• Advertisement

Saw on the vaccine thread that Pairc Ui Chaoimh have started vaccinating the 40-44s.

Advertisement