Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Have heard there is zero COVID patients in the CUH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1401176999343841282

As of midnight, Friday 4 June, we are reporting
    416* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

29 in ICU. 74 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

Posted at 3pm, but I was out. No one else bother sharing?
    Good to see cases below 500 again.

Edit: - "The last time there were fewer than 75 patients hospitalised for the virus was 19 September last year."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ofcork

notAMember wrote: »
    That absolute clown. And organised in the city when I'm due my jab as well.

I'm another one of those scratching heads about how those locations are decided. I will drive past PUC , which I can walk to, to go into the city hall. Not a big deal, just weird that they are sending people in town out to PUC, and sending people from ballintemple into the city hall.

Id say if there was 200 there it was alot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

From my place on Cove Street, I can hear some massive fun being had by people, must be a great crowd out there!

Just as well I spotted an Armed Response Unit car earlier today.

jk lol!

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1401539380003622916

As of midnight, Saturday 5 June, we are reporting
    313* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

27 in ICU. 70 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What’s the story with covid deaths? They have not announced any in a while.

I know the hse commadore 64 is broken, but surely they know when a person is actually dead and can report it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What’s the story with covid deaths? They have not announced any in a while.

I know the hse commadore 64 is broken, but surely they know when a person is actually dead and can report it.

There isn't anyone dying? That could explain it.
    Anyone vunerable is vaccinated so their shouldn't be any deaths really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rob316 wrote: »
    There isn't anyone dying? That could explain it.
    Anyone vunerable is vaccinated so their shouldn't be any deaths really.

Well, very few, I'd imagine.
    Covid isn't risk free for younger people, we can't forget that.
    But it's great to see the death figures fall off a cliff!

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1401906586323460096

As of midnight, Sunday 6 June, we are reporting
    377* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

26 in ICU. 69 in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Town is absolutely lovely again today. Seeing the room dedicated to diners, walkers and cyclists is great. As someone who spends a fair bit of time in the city through the pandemic waves its great to see people return. Traffic is a pain but sure I am traffic a lot of the time so I can't complain.

City has come along way since the days where the best the council could offer was depedestrianizing Oliver Plunkett St and the Des Cahill trying to use social distancing as a reason to axe some cycle lanes for the "greater good". Really fair play to the campaigners and businesses who have dragged the council kicking and screaming towards the city centre we have today.

• Advertisement

Agree with above, savage crowds in town today, great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

User142 wrote: »
    Really fair play to the campaigners and businesses who have dragged the council kicking and screaming towards the city centre we have today.

That sums it up! Cork city may be heading in the right direction IN SPITE of the City Council exec. I'm not a fan of Nash and the likes but they may be helping the city's future without really knowing what they're doing. Clearly they are just doing it for their own businesses.

When they realise that pedestrianisation and outdoors is the way to go, things may stay like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Mardyke wrote: »
    That sums it up! Cork city may be heading in the right direction IN SPITE of the City Council exec. I'm not a fan of Nash and the likes but they may be helping the city's future without really knowing what they're doing. Clearly they are just doing it for their own businesses.

When they realise that pedestrianisation and outdoors is the way to go, things may stay like this.

Just goes to show that it can be done, with a bit of imagination - Princes Street is an example - it looks fabulous, and Dwyers have a great outdoor area also. Hope it’s a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Some buzz around town today and shock horror with the pubs open the streets weren't full of teenagers mixing into the crowds of takeaway drinkers, causing trouble like we've had for months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Princes Street is amazing - fair play to them. I just hope it’s not destroyed by louts. If other areas follow suit we would have a city that could rival any in Europe. Let’s hope the weather doesn’t spoil it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Princes Street is amazing - fair play to them. I just hope it’s not destroyed by louts. If other areas follow suit we would have a city that could rival any in Europe. Let’s hope the weather doesn’t spoil it.

"Louts" aren't the biggest problem the city faces. It's the City Council.

Once Covid situation goes away, the council will be back looking for rates and charging businesses for having tables outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

Well in fairness, if there are constant tables there, then there's more services required to support it, right? Cleaning etc. Who pays for that? If it was a private street, it would be the businesses, if it's not, then the council does it. What other lever do they have to fund that except rates?

Who put in those umbrellas btw, are they business owned or public?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

What kind of turnaround are we seeing in Cork in terms of time from registration to first jab? Hoping they'll open it up to people in their 30s soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    What kind of turnaround are we seeing in Cork in terms of time from registration to first jab? Hoping they'll open it up to people in their 30s soon.

Was speaking to a work colleague this afternoon and he told me that the UK has opened up to over 25 year old's - this week.
    He also said that their numbers are soaring - in cases, not deaths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭notAMember

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »

Varies. Best case a couple of days. 3 weeks is the longest I've heard.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1402282219071225857

As of midnight, Monday 7 June, we are reporting
    271*
    confirmed cases of #COVID19.

27 in ICU. 77 in hospital.

Man returns with knife and cuts woman's hand after being asked to leave Cork city pub on first day of reopening ~~ Harp Bar

Edit:- Delta variant 'clear and present danger' for Ireland's re-opening

"The GISAID Initiative tracks two variants first identified in India, including the Delta variant, and has recorded 218 cases of both in Ireland.

Cork has the second-highest number at 67, with 119 sequenced in Dublin. The GISAID map also shows four cases in Kerry, five in Limerick, and one each in Tipperary and Waterford.

Virologist Cillian de Gascun said today: “We have reported 126 of the Delta variant (617.2) and 89 of the Kappa variant (617.1).”
    "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Well in fairness, if there are constant tables there, then there's more services required to support it, right? Cleaning etc. Who pays for that? If it was a private street, it would be the businesses, if it's not, then the council does it. What other lever do they have to fund that except rates?

AFAIK it was the businesses paid for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I see MM was out and about in the city today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I see MM was out and about in the city today

Saw double M on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭PreCocious

One thing about Princes Street is will the dining affect the non-dining businesses ? It certainly is less of a street that can be sauntered down now that the narrow paths are one-way and full of serving staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yesterday, for the first time in several months, the UK's 7 day case rate exceeded Ireland's; it's been on a steady increase while Ireland's has been holding steady. Not certain if that's indicative of the Delta variant and/or the easing of restrictions there, but hopefully it's not indicative of another wave coming here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

who_me wrote: »
    Yesterday, for the first time in several months, the UK's 7 day case rate exceeded Ireland's; it's been on a steady increase while Ireland's has been holding steady. Not certain if that's indicative of the Delta variant and/or the easing of restrictions there, but hopefully it's not indicative of another wave coming here.
    The next "wave", if there is one, has to be looked at from a completely different perspective. The risk profile from Covid-19 with a heavily vaccinated population is much lower than in previous waves. If it just results in asymptomatic PCR positive individuals and a couple of people with sniffles it's a different ball game altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

marno21 wrote: »
    The next "wave", if there is one, has to be looked at from a completely different perspective. The risk profile from Covid-19 with a heavily vaccinated population is much lower than in previous waves. If it just results in asymptomatic PCR positive individuals and a couple of people with sniffles it's a different ball game altogether.

There will definitely be another wave but likely just covid positive people with little to no symptoms and not a massive intake to hospitals. There will be those who are unlucky but hopefully not too many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

marno21 wrote: »

Yeah, that's certainly true. If the vulnerable groups (elderly, infirm) generally experience only mild symptoms, then it's a very different scenario to previous 'waves'.

That's more true in the UK than here though, given they're well ahead in vaccinations. It becomes a bit of an equation of:
    delta variant + loosening of restrictions vs number of people vaccinated

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah, that's certainly true. If the vulnerable groups (elderly, infirm) generally experience only mild symptoms, then it's a very different scenario to previous 'waves'.

That's more true in the UK than here though, given they're well ahead in vaccinations. It becomes a bit of an equation of:
    delta variant + loosening of restrictions vs number of people vaccinated
    I really don't think you can compare the UK to here considering how they're heavily dependant on the first dose of vaccines and big (more than manufacturers suggest) dosing intervals. The UK are seeing infections among places that celebrated religious events and also among those who have just one vaccine dose. The Indian variant isn't posing much issues here and in the US where dosing intervals are being adhered by.

Advertisement