Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

titan18 wrote: »
    How does that have anything to do with coronavirus?

Equally I'd be asking you what does a groups nationality have to do with it? They're people, like you and me, and I see plenty of Irish not following guidelines too..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Equally I'd be asking you what does a groups nationality have to do with it? They're people, like you and me, and I see plenty of Irish not following guidelines too..

As a way of differentiating them. Much like saying teens, elderly, Irish people, women, men etc.

I've made references to the juggling idiots out there too. Again, as a way to differentiate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

As a way of differentiating them. Much like saying teens, elderly, Irish people, women, men etc.

I've made references to the juggling idiots out there too. Again, as a way to differentiate

Differentiate them from you and yours, perhaps?

Why the need to differentiate them? We're all in this together.

Differentiate them from you and yours, perhaps?

Why the need to differentiate them? We're all in this together.

Anyone who isn't going off the advice being given out isn't in this together with me tbh. I go for a walk by myself and rarely interact with anyone outside my family atm. If others are ignoring the advice by the government, I will call them out on it and identify them by whatever means I can so others are aware, no matter what grouping they're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone who isn't going off the advice being given out isn't in this together with me tbh. I go for a walk by myself and rarely interact with anyone outside my family atm. If others are ignoring the advice by the government, I will call them out on it and identify them by whatever means I can so others are aware, no matter what grouping they're in.

By call them out on it, I assume you mean moaning about it on the internet?
    As you rarely interact with anyone, you are hardly actually calling them out on it, are you?
    I still don't understand the need to identify and group them.

So if you see, let's say a group of foreign nationals, behaving inappropriately, are you suggesting that all foreign nationals are behaving inappropriately? That would be the only reason to group them as anything more than people behaving badly.

Do please explain this need to group.

• Advertisement

By call them out on it, I assume you mean moaning about it on the internet?
    As you rarely interact with anyone, you are hardly actually calling them out on it, are you?
    I still don't understand the need to identify and group them.

So if you see, let's say a group of foreign nationals, behaving inappropriately, are you suggesting that all foreign nationals are behaving inappropriately? That would be the only reason to group them as anything more than people behaving badly.

Do please explain this need to group.

It's to differentiate them. For example the teens in Mount oval. Is it ok to call them teenagers or do we have to say it's people fighting. Teens just calls it out as a differentiator. It's not classifying all, it's just being used to differentiate who is doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭cantalach

How does that have anything to do with coronavirus?

It has absolutely no relevance to Coronavirus. And nationality has no relevance to what you observed at the Lough.

It's to differentiate them. For example the teens in Mount oval. Is it ok to call them teenagers or do we have to say it's people fighting. Teens just calls it out as a differentiator. It's not classifying all, it's just being used to differentiate who is doing it

At least have the decency to be honest about it. Occasional bad behaviour such as seen in Mount Oval is recognised to be characteristic of bored, drunk, angst-ridden teenage boys. So I think mentioning that they are teens is very relevant.

cantalach wrote: »
    At least have the decency to be honest about it. Occasional bad behaviour such as seen in Mount Oval is recognised to be characteristic of bored, drunk, angst-ridden teenage boys. So I think mentioning that they are teens is very relevant.

So it's ok to define people by age or gender but not nationality?
    There seems to be no meaningful enforcement in Cork at the moment. In the last 48 hours I’ve seen:

- Large group of young people hanging around Douglas village Friday evening.
    - People parking up around the Marina and going for walks.
    - Multiple boy racer type cars with 3-4 young fellas in them.
    - A group of 7-8 lads out running along Monaghan Road.
    - Groups of lads playing football in Beaumont Park.
    - A group of teens heading in to Beaumont Quarry.
    - etc., etc, etc.

It’s impossible to believe that none of this has been witnessed by Gardaí.

That was your post, why would them being a group of teens or group of males matter then?

It has absolutely no relevance to Coronavirus. And nationality has no relevance to what you observed at the Lough.

I actually think it does. A lot of them might be here by themselves or with friends for work, and don't have the worry about getting it and spreading it to elderly relatives. If their parents are back in home country, they feel they can afford to be more risk averse than people who have to worry about spreading it to older relatives. Like I'd be ok with getting it if I didn't pass it on, but my parents are old enough that they mightn't be so I take precautions as I assume everyone decent is doing if there's a risk on passing it on to elderly people.

If the only other people you're interacting with are similar aged people in 20s or 30s, you can afford to be more risk averse

• Advertisement

So it's ok to define people by age or gender but not nationality?

It’s not about “defining” anyone. It’s about relevance. Nationality has no relevance so mentioning it is a detail with either a xenophobic and/or racist overtone, depending on what country the said foreigners come from. Age and gender on the other hand is relevant because, as I said already, bad behaviour such as happened in Mount Oval is characteristic of male teenagers. It is perfectly legal to charge somebody a higher car insurance premium because they are young and male, but not because their surname has a lot of consonants in it. I suspect you understand the point I’m making here.
    That was your post, why would them being a group of teens or group of males matter then?

It still matters. See above.

I actually think it does. A lot of them might be here by themselves or with friends for work, and don't have the worry about getting it and spreading it to elderly relatives. If their parents are back in home country, they feel they can afford to be more risk averse than people who have to worry about spreading it to older relatives.

Perhaps that is true but there were considerably larger numbers of Irish people meeting in groups over the weekend. A great many of them have at least some contact with a family member or relative who is elderly or has an underlying medical condition. Isn’t that a far, far greater offence? I know of one family where there are four adult children still living at home with a dad who is a bad asthmatic. Nice people all. But over the last week or so, the kids have been out and about meeting up with friends and love interests. Blows my mind. But if the worst happens, the R value goes up, and people like Mr X get sick and die, some people will always blame Johnny Foreigner.

Anyway, ignoring the above crap, Lough was packed again last night. Imagine its going to be same over next week with good weather forecast.

One group had brought a picnic table out in front of the Hawthorn, which seems stupid for the Hawthorn to allow as that'll likely get them shut down if people start creating their own restaurants.

Another group had about 2m between 8/9 of them sitting in the grass so zero social distancing going on.

Perhaps that is true but there were considerably larger numbers of Irish people meeting in groups over the weekend. A great many of them have at least some contact with a family member or relative who is elderly or has an underlying medical condition. Isn’t that a far, far greater offence? I know of one family where there are four adult children still living at home with a dad who is a bad asthmatic. Nice people all. But over the last week or so, the kids have been out and about meeting up with friends and love interests. Blows my mind. But if the worst happens, the R value goes up, and people like Mr X get sick and die, some people will always blame Johnny Foreigner.

Well tbh I'd consider those people to be words beginning with a or c that I can't post. I'm an adult living at home with parents and I'm avoiding pretty much everyone ATM (although it's not difficult in my case) as whilst I'm pretty certain I'd be grand, I don't want to be the one that gets it and passes it to parents. As someone, maybe you, said earlier we should all be in it together, people breaking the rules are not in it with me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was down Fota today as I live within a few km of it . Place was very busy with people from all over , plenty of car regs from all over and strong accents that likely aren't local.

They should be asking for proof of address as nobody is taking any notice of them asking nicely online for only people within the allowed distance .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I was down Fota today as I live within a few km of it . Place was very busy with people from all over , plenty of car regs from all over and strong accents that likely aren't local.

They should be asking for proof of address as nobody is taking any notice of them asking nicely online for only people within the allowed distance .

I said that before, if its pre booking just ask for an address many will give without thinking and then a quick Google map check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What phase is travelling longer than 2km/5km for non essential leisure etc., allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What phase is travelling longer than 2km/5km for non essential leisure etc., allowed?

20KM on June 8th if all goes well.

Juy 20th all distance restrictions removed....again all going well.

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taoiseach-announces-roadmap-for-reopening-society-and-business-and-u/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

20km on June 8 will mean trips to the beach for those of us in the city are now allowed again.

If the weather is nice that week you can imagine Myrtleville and Fountainstown being thronged

marno21 wrote: »
    20km on June 8 will mean trips to the beach for those of us in the city are now allowed again.

If the weather is nice that week you can imagine Myrtleville and Fountainstown being thronged

Ya, going to be crap for the people down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

They probably restricted the numbers going into fota to ensure social distancing. I know lots of people living in cork with car regs from different counties. Lots of people living in cork from different t parts of Ireland and the world so could be all living in cork. Probably outside the 5km limit but doubt many travelling from let's say Dublin to go to fota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

marno21 wrote: »

Myrtleville was jammers yesterday,bud lives there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Number in ICU in Cork increasing slightly while the country in general decreases. Now 6 inpatients at the CUH with 3 on ventilators as of 4pm today.

Number in ICU in Cork increasing slightly while the country in general decreases. Now 6 inpatients at the CUH with 3 on ventilators as of 4pm today.

Is that 6 in total Covid patients in CUH ICU now? I hope all recover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    3 in ICU at the moment, 2 other inpatients. All 3 on ventilators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I see little piggies and go go flouting the takeaway only rule by outside tables.

Disappointed to see Des Cahill & Buttimer supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Some amount of scumbags in the city centre, ud be half scared walking in there. They really need to get the place opened up again cause these scumbags are taking over in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I see little piggies and go go flouting the takeaway only rule by outside tables.

Disappointed to see Des Cahill & Buttimer supporting them.

Can I ask that you correct your post? They aren't in breach of any rule. The HSE advised them that not having seating outside is only guidance. There is no need to defame a local business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭robinbird

FrStone wrote: »
    Can I ask that you correct your post? They aren't in breach of any rule. The HSE advised them that not having seating outside is only guidance. There is no need to defame a local business.

You need a licence to have the tables. They didn't have it so acting illegally . Anyway gardai backed down and tables are back.

Advertisement