Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Very easy to criticise these businesses but with 11 weeks of restrictions under our belt and another 12 weeks to go, businesses are obviously getting desperate to generate any revenue they possibly can in these trying times.

A lot of these places will struggle to reopen and stay open, and there will be limited new job opportunities for the staff they lay off.
    I applaud 3 Little Piggies for taking the initiative, they are in an area with limited footfall and anything that might entice a customer to spend money there should be utilised.
    I made an effort to call there today for a takeaway coffee to try to give them a bit of support.

I know that a lot of people are terrified of covid-19, but with Debenhams, Oasis, Hairspray, Select, Holland & Barrett, and Easons already after announcing permanent closure there is sure to be more job losses to come for the city.
    A little bit of leeway and compromise here is definitely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,732 ✭✭✭Worztron

Level 42 wrote: »
    not dangerous at all or else they wouldnt be going if you feel better wear a mask theres no one on them anyway

Hi Level 42. They are not going by bus, I am.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

FrStone wrote: »
    Can I ask that you correct your post? They aren't in breach of any rule. The HSE advised them that not having seating outside is only guidance. There is no need to defame a local business.

You can't just set up seating outside. Even before Covid you couldn't do that without approval etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I see little piggies and go go flouting the takeaway only rule by outside tables.

Disappointed to see Des Cahill & Buttimer supporting them.

How dare a business try to survive and adapt while been sensible. More of it please. You can't even catch this thing in the community now.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You can't just set up seating outside. Even before Covid you couldn't do that without approval etc.

They had the relevant licence from the city council according to the examiner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,465 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They had the relevant licence from the city council according to the examiner.

Not for the bunch of tables they set up across the road by the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Imagine if Cork City council acted as quick and decisively for local businesses other than the English Market. They could act nearly overnight to open up OPS and make parking free.

I support the Imperial and Little Piggies all the way here. The council are going to kill Cork city centre if let to their own devices and their own pace.

If businesses in the future have to pay for this right than so be it. Right now we need quick action. If footpaths become congested then take away a lane of parking. And if that doesnt fix the issue eat into a traffic lane. Its time the centre island is a destination. If most of these city streets were out in the suburbs, there would be bollards to prevent all the rat running through traffic we have in the city centre now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

User142 wrote: »
    Imagine if Cork City council acted as quick and decisively for local businesses other than the English Market. They could act nearly overnight to open up OPS and make parking free.

I support the Imperial and Little Piggies all the way here. The council are going to kill Cork city centre if let to their own devices and their own pace.

If businesses in the future have to pay for this right than so be it. Right now we need quick action. If footpaths become congested then take away a lane of parking. And if that doesnt fix the issue eat into a traffic lane. Its time the centre island is a destination. If most of these city streets were out in the suburbs, there would be bollards to prevent all the rat running through traffic we have in the city centre now.

I'm all for bashing the Council (they are mostly useless) but it's important to clarify that it was the Gardaí who took the action here on public health grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not for the bunch of tables they set up across the road by the river.

He is licensed for 4 and he had 7 out.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I'm all for bashing the Council (they are mostly useless) but it's important to clarify that it was the Gardaí who took the action here on public health grounds.

Wish they were as proactive to cars blocking up pavements preventing social distancing as they were a few chairs outside a local business.

You can buy a coffee and walk over to rarely cleaned public seating and its all legal.
    Enjoy the same coffee on clean chairs outside provided by a business and you've a Gard at the door shutting it all down.

It's nonsensical.

The council should have provisions weeks ago at this stage for outdoor seating instead of fighting pedestrians and cyclists in the local media. And if they don't feel like the public streets are for nothing but walking to shops and parking then private business should be allowed provide the seating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭robinbird

And if they don't feel like the public streets are for nothing but walking to shops and parking then private business should be allowed provide the seating.

Attitude is very much that their function is to serve business by providing on street parking as close as possible to shops. Even when those same shops are closed which is nonsensical. This is why the city centre is a cluttered mess. Only seating available for last few months were the few benches at the Peace Park and Bishop Lucey park that were usually fully occupied. City centre streets and cycle lanes cluttered with illegally parked cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

I met a friend there for coffee this afternoon, think the tables by the river front were gone but still a few stools there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

The beaches are a disaster I believe. I'd say the county has given up today. It's mad out there. I know a guy living in myrtleville, people were marking out there slots at 9am!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    The beaches are a disaster I believe. I'd say the county has given up today. It's mad out there. I know a guy living in myrtleville, people were marking out there slots at 9am!!!

How are people getting through the checkpoints? Genuine question, I’ve wanted to go to Garryvoe beach since Thursday but know I will have to go through a checkpoint so how are all these people getting through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

Checkpoints have gone way down guy at work lives in youghal been very few in the last couple of weeks.

ofcork wrote: »
    Checkpoints have gone way down guy at work lives in youghal been very few in the last couple of weeks.

But every weekend they ramp them up, I know I would be stopped going through Castlemartyr or o. The road down to Garryvoe beach. It’s obvious to have checkpoints around beaches so how are these people getting in.

I was stopped by one today just 1 minute from where I live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ofcork

Don't think they are anymore I got waved through one at Lakeview last week

could anyone living around garryvoe/castlemarytr give an update about checkpoints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭opus

A friend of mine who was reassigned to CV-19 testing is going back to her old job on Tues. She was saying it's very quiet at the test centre in Pairc Ui Chaoimh now & they've done all the testing in the care homes around the city. Apparently their last assignment was to test the nuns in the convent by the Bon on College Rd.

Sounds like very positive new to me.

The Gards have stopped enforcing COVID restrictions with road checkpoints. It was reported in the Irish times that road presence for the bank holiday is for road safety and they would patrol beauty spots instead. Absolutely no mention on their own social media or through other media outlets about checkpoints or public compliance levels anymore.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    How are people getting through the checkpoints? Genuine question, I’ve wanted to go to Garryvoe beach since Thursday but know I will have to go through a checkpoint so how are all these people getting through them.

The checkpoints are well gone. I was in Kinsale Tuesday, Garryvoe Friday and Youghal today - didn't meet a single checkpoint.

The checkpoints are well gone. I was in Kinsale Tuesday, Garryvoe Friday and Youghal today - didn't meet a single checkpoint.

Ya but like if I am traveling to Garryvoe I’m 45 mins away, would I really not meet a checkpoint? I’ll be going through city through killeagh, Castlemarty and then on the road to the beach.

I really want to go just don’t want to face a checkpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyway, ignoring the above crap, Lough was packed again last night. Imagine its going to be same over next week with good weather forecast.

One group had brought a picnic table out in front of the Hawthorn, which seems stupid for the Hawthorn to allow as that'll likely get them shut down if people start creating their own restaurants.

Another group had about 2m between 8/9 of them sitting in the grass so zero social distancing going on.

Available amenities like the Lough packed, is what happens when you confine people in a city to a small travel zone. I was there myself on a number of occasions this week, however if allowed travel further I would have been in west cork or Kerry. How I behaved where I was is how I would have behaved further away also, am a responsible person. At this point travel restrictions based on x KM from home is muppetry. Time for the caretaker government to sheffle off the pitch and let someone else speed up the recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Its-purely-party-central-Cork-city-residents-say-students-are-putting-the-community-at-risk-5f97a2da-1a48-42e8-94b1-b30f86f98be8-ds

RESIDENTS of Magazine Road and its environs took a stand today against the high volume of young people who are moving into the area flouting Covid-19 travel restrictions and showing a blatant disregard for social distancing guidelines by holding house parties.
    The Magazine Road and Surrounding Area Residents Association organised a demonstration to highlight the spate of student parties which have been taking place.

"They are putting the community at risk. They have no business coming into the city. The college is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Its-purely-party-central-Cork-city-residents-say-students-are-putting-the-community-at-risk-5f97a2da-1a48-42e8-94b1-b30f86f98be8-ds

RESIDENTS of Magazine Road and its environs took a stand today against the high volume of young people who are moving into the area flouting Covid-19 travel restrictions and showing a blatant disregard for social distancing guidelines by holding house parties.
    The Magazine Road and Surrounding Area Residents Association organised a demonstration to highlight the spate of student parties which have been taking place.

"They are putting the community at risk. They have no business coming into the city. The college is closed.

Why does this remind me of a certain protesting priest on father ted?
    Must be a slow news day on the media side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

I suspect that if you lived in this area, you'd feel quite differently. That part of town ( and others) can be a bit like the Wild West sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I've heard from the locals near my families summer home in West cork that the gardaí were on the main road turning cars bar from the beach. Needed proof that the house you were staying in was your main house for the duration so far (they provided locals with a card)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Gards have stopped enforcing COVID restrictions with road checkpoints. It was reported in the Irish times that road presence for the bank holiday is for road safety and they would patrol beauty spots instead. Absolutely no mention on their own social media or through other media outlets about checkpoints or public compliance levels anymore.

Good the taxpayer can't afford all this overtime and pointless checkpoints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, I live in area close to Lough and Magazine road, and people in the area are fed up of people wrecking the place. Whatever about the breaching of lockdown (and there is clear breaches of it), the place is left in a mess with litter and have heard of people using gardens as toilets.

Saw guards out tonight at the Lough and the amount of litter being left there was depressing when the crowds started to leave.

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya but like if I am traveling to Garryvoe I’m 45 mins away, would I really not meet a checkpoint? I’ll be going through city through killeagh, Castlemarty and then on the road to the beach.

I really want to go just don’t want to face a checkpoint.

You should be alright. I was coming from the Northside. No checkpoints the whole way down, the only thing that will slow you down is the traffic in castlemartyr.

Advertisement