Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,697 ✭✭✭corks finest

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, I live in area close to Lough and Magazine road, and people in the area are fed up of people wrecking the place. Whatever about the breaching of lockdown (and there is clear breaches of it), the place is left in a mess with litter and have heard of people using gardens as toilets.

Saw guards out tonight at the Lough and the amount of litter being left there was depressing when the crowds started to leave.

Dirty Irish,and lack of bins,
    Roaring match this morning at 9am owenabue car park Carrigaline, between a big fat Irish owner of a little chef fast food trailer,and a foreign guy selling roast chickens,
    He's they're for months no harm yet this wan was roaring at him ref social distancing, health and safety officers, being not from here,I've a ****ing mortgage and rates to pay,I can park where I want etc etc,
    Yet with all the roaring ,both are parked illegally, taking up about 8 spaces in a public parking area selling fast food and not 1 bin in sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I don't understand why people cant bring their rubbish home with them tbh. Most are probably bringing their drink or food in a bag with them, so bring it home with you if theres no bins. It's just being lazy, dirty and selfish to not do it.

I think a lot of people would have less of an issue with the people breaching lockdown rules if they treated the area with respect.

I don't understand why people cant bring their rubbish home with them tbh. Most are probably bringing their drink or food in a bag with them, so bring it home with you if theres no bins. It's not just being lazy, dirty and selfish to not do it.

Most ppl do in fairness,but I gave up going to myrtleville for that v reason from June- September,gangs get off buses with bags of cans etc and just leave the debris behind,and one small stupid bin for a few hundred ppl is crazy so I head to to Roberts cove for my hiking/ swimming instead,neber see rubbish, dog crap occasionally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Most ppl do in fairness,but I gave up going to myrtleville for that v reason from June- September,gangs get off buses with bags of cans etc and just leave the debris behind,and one small stupid bin for a few hundred ppl is crazy so I head to to Roberts cove for my hiking/ swimming instead,neber see rubbish, dog crap occasionally

I would say majority do but I see a sizable enough minority not doing it across a range of groups. One person is more than enough to be using someone's garden as their toilet.

Thankfully I don't live on a main road but in an estate in the area so no one is using my garden as a toilet or noise isn't an issue but my parents would know people who are in that situation. Id have family living in McCurtains villas for example so would know off them what happens, never mind what I see myself.

There is unfortunately a good 20-30% I'd say who ruin it, and then others can get dragged in with groupthink.

I would say majority do but I see a sizable enough minority not doing it across a range of groups. One person is more than enough to be using someone's garden as their toilet.

Thankfully I don't live on a main road but in an estate in the area so no one is using my garden as a toilet or noise isn't an issue but my parents would know people who are in that situation. Id have family living in McCurtains villas for example so would know off them what happens, never mind what I see myself.

There is unfortunately a good 20-30% I'd say who ruin it, and then others can get dragged in with groupthink.

Crazy situation, but noisy bastard's everywhere, buddy in Derry on what's app yesterday at evening at 7.30 told me right next door were setting up speakers etc for a party out the front of the house,in a really built up area( Creggan estate)

Awful stuff as he'd other neighbours yesterday morning out the back still singing etc at 6 ish in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Why does this remind me of a certain protesting priest on father ted?
    Must be a slow news day on the media side.

You clearly don't live up here at all.

I live right off Magazine Road. Been here all my life and you can definitely see an influx of students/young people. No-one was around during the lockdown but there's been a massive increase over the last 2 weeks. Normally summer is pretty quiet but you'd swear it's freshers week with the carry on. People barely able to walk in the middle of the streets, constant house parties etc...... There was a house party on Magazine Road last Friday/Saturday and 50+ people were cleared from it. There's no excuse for that carry on. I was by the protest yesterday and some students shouted from their cars and some thought that by passing though, it'd be great to walk right past with their boxes of beer, laughing at the protesters. They just don't seem to care.

I was talking to a few people around and the general opinion/feeling is that people are moving up here because their J1/any trips they planned have been cancelled and want to party in rented accommodation to make up for it. I genuinely feel bad that their plans were cancelled because of the virus but everybody has been affected by Covid-19 and that shouldn't be an excuse to cause havoc.

There's elderly people living by me that have been cocooning since Covid-19 started and now they're scared to leave their houses because of the influx of students around. Do you think thats fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

37 of the 61 cases reported Saturday are from Cork.

https://twitter.com/higginsdavidw/status/1267498273624985601?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I've heard from the locals near my families summer home in West cork that the gardaí were on the main road turning cars bar from the beach. Needed proof that the house you were staying in was your main house for the duration so far (they provided locals with a card)

I took a chance driving yesterday by the beach, didn't get out but met no Gardai, just looked at the sea, it was beautiful

It is hard to stay indoors with the glorious weather

Is 20km travel from next Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Don't know why its so controversial to say that many students are living the dream at the moment on the €350 per week. There are students coming back here and renting houses together for the craic. Cycled down Magazine road today it felt like I was in a coastal holiday town without the water. Lidl was full of college aged people buying large quantities of booze. I'm honestly jealous. I can't wait to be allowed meet in larger groups indoors again and restart my after work social activities.

I think we are going to have two groups growing now around here. Those who will want the Gards to be given the power to enforce restrictions and those who will see these large group gatherings and become far more relaxed themselves. I think there will be an obvious age difference between these two groups.

D2D wrote: »

I live right off Magazine Road. Been here all my life and you can definitely see an influx of students/young people. No-one was around during the lockdown but there's been a massive increase over the last 2 weeks. Normally summer is pretty quiet but you'd swear it's freshers week with the carry on. People barely able to walk in the middle of the streets, constant house parties etc...... There was a house party on Magazine Road last Friday/Saturday and 50+ people were cleared from it. There's no excuse for that carry on. I was by the protest yesterday and some students shouted from their cars and some thought that by passing though, it'd be great to walk right past with their boxes of beer, laughing at the protesters. They just don't seem to care.

I was talking to a few people around and the general opinion/feeling is that people are moving up here because their J1/any trips they planned have been cancelled and want to party in rented accommodation to make up for it. I genuinely feel bad that their plans were cancelled because of the virus but everybody has been affected by Covid-19 and that shouldn't be an excuse to cause havoc.

There's elderly people living by me that have been cocooning since Covid-19 started and now they're scared to leave their houses because of the influx of students around. Do you think thats fair?

Great to see local folk actually grew a bollox and protesting at the constant anti social behaviour of some students

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Dirty Irish,and lack of bins,

Dirty Irish full stop. Zero fcuks given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya but like if I am traveling to Garryvoe I’m 45 mins away, would I really not meet a checkpoint? I’ll be going through city through killeagh, Castlemarty and then on the road to the beach.

I really want to go just don’t want to face a checkpoint.

Or you could just stay at home. Amazing that people still have to be told this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Or you could just stay at home. Amazing that people still have to be told this.

I’ve stayed at home long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rules are for other people, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ah sure that makes it OK so.

In fairness, I don't give a **** if you go or don't go. But why bring it up here asking about the likelihood of running into a checkpoint. You know you are doing wrong so either bite the bullet and do it or don't. I am assuming you posted here to get a reaction though so mission accomplished.

Sure and a lot of people are frustrated but you don't need to drive 45 minutes to a beach in east Cork. You really don't. Go for a walk close to home. The rules are there for a good reason and we all need to act responsibly and not have a "mé féin" attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭cantalach

The people who pay the ultimate price are staying put infinitely longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

D2D wrote: »

What I think doesn't matter as I am not a drunken student or a resident. However what does matter is that such matters are not being enforced by those who are supposedly in control of law and order. Students would be more restrained if those that cross the line are given criminal convictions, as they well know that would have future implications for them personally.

User142 wrote: »
    Don't know why its so controversial to say that many students are living the dream at the moment on the €350 per week. There are students coming back here and renting houses together for the craic. Cycled down Magazine road today it felt like I was in a coastal holiday town without the water. Lidl was full of college aged people buying large quantities of booze. I'm honestly jealous. I can't wait to be allowed meet in larger groups indoors again and restart my after work social activities.

I think we are going to have two groups growing now around here. Those who will want the Gards to be given the power to enforce restrictions and those who will see these large group gatherings and become far more relaxed themselves. I think there will be an obvious age difference between these two groups.

Agree fully, the 350 a week drinking money is a joke at this point, those that want it to continue being paid without revision are a pure joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rules are for other people, yeah?

It is getting really hard to follow the rules when there are big protests etc planned with nobody going to stop them, after most people have tried for months to follow them. Tone is hard to express over text but it's easy to see why people are getting a "f this" attitude when people are starting to break rules left right and center and nothing is being done about it.

You have to feel for the elderly and vulnerable and even regular families who have stuck to the rules to the dot from day one and then there are these fools who have the chance to ruin it for everyone, and kill hundreds in process possibly.

• Advertisement

It is getting really hard to follow the rules when there are big protests etc planned with nobody going to stop them, after most people have tried for months to follow them. Tone is hard to express over text but it's easy to see why people are getting a "f this" attitude when people are starting to break rules left right and center and nothing is being done about it.

You have to feel for the elderly and vulnerable and even regular families who have stuck to the rules to the dot from day one and then there are these fools who have the chance to ruin it for everyone, and kill hundreds in process possibly.

There is a difference between a rule (regulation) and advice though.

Most posters here are talking about travel beyond 5Km.
    Travel beyond 5Km will not kill anyone on its own.
    Just as lightly to kill someone on your doorstep as far away if you go about getting up close and personal with all about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sure and a lot of people are frustrated but you don't need to drive 45 minutes to a beach in east Cork. You really don't. Go for a walk close to home. The rules are there for a good reason and we all need to act responsibly and not have a "mé féin" attitude.

What's the situation in Cork though? Do we have heavy restrictions even though the outbreak is pretty much confined to Dublin?

CUH closed the covid ward ages ago.

How many cases are actually left here?

Probably unpopular to suggest that the Dubs stay put and the rest of us get on with it, is it?

Sligo hasn't had a single case in 2 weeks, why can't the sligo people go to their beaches? There is literally zero risk.

pwurple wrote: »
    What's the situation in Cork though? Do we have heavy restrictions even though the outbreak is pretty much confined to Dublin?

CUH closed the covid ward ages ago.

How many cases are actually left here?

Probably unpopular to suggest that the Dubs stay put and the rest of us get on with it, is it?

Sligo hasn't had a single case in 2 weeks, why can't the sligo people go to their beaches? There is literally zero risk.

Last I heard about cuh was there was 6 on ventilators, could be less now though. There was 37 new cases from Saturdays 61 but that seems to be from a specific cluster so they mightn't be contagious anymore. There's still a few cases around so restrixtions could be relaxed a bit imo, but I would still rather that protest didn't happen in the city.

However I think the government needs to start opening up on a county by county basis. Totally unfair for Sligo who have had no cases to be locked down. They should be opened up and accepting people, and keep parts of the east closed off. Makes a lot more sense I think anyway, so I totally agree with you on that!

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    There is a difference between a rule (regulation) and advice though.

Most posters here are talking about travel beyond 5Km.
    Travel beyond 5Km will not kill anyone on its own.
    Just as lightly to kill someone on your doorstep as far away if you go about getting up close and personal with all about you.

Indeed, travel beyond 5k should be extended for certain areas. I don't believe it should be for the entire country and the east should still be warded off. Sligo etc should be allowed go where they want, very unfair on them at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Folks just use a but of common sense and go out and enjoy the lovely weather as much as you can.

I was at the beach over the weekend which is further than 5km from my home. There were others there but it wasn't packed. I was the only one in the water so there was no possible way that I could have caught the virus.

We shouldn't be living in fear of a dying virus, if people want to stay locked up in their homes for the foreseeable future then that's their choice but I won't be adhering to the government advice or regulations anymore because it's gone beyond a joke at this stage.

People can attack me all the want for that stance but just remember that the people that will attack me and others for daring to go against the government narrative just want people to be as miserable as they are.

It's kind of sad really because they are living such a miserable life that they get enjoyment of out seeing other people as miserable as they are.

Folks just use a but of common sense and go out and enjoy the lovely weather as much as you can.

I was at the beach over the weekend which is further than 5km from my home. There were others there but it wasn't packed. I was the only one in the water so there was no possible way that I could have caught the virus.

We shouldn't be living in fear of a dying virus, if people want to stay locked up in their homes for the foreseeable future then that's their choice but I won't be adhering to the government advice or regulations anymore because it's gone beyond a joke at this stage.

People can attack me all the want for that stance but just remember that the people that will attack me and others for daring to go against the government narrative just want people to be as miserable as they are.

It's kind of sad really because they are living such a miserable life that they get enjoyment of out seeing other people as miserable as they are.

If you need to justify yourself by projecting that other people are miserable fair enough. Whatever helps you to justify it to yourself I suppose. Do you take such a cavalier view of other rules and regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If you need to justify yourself by projecting that other people are miserable fair enough. Whatever helps you to justify it to yourself I suppose. Do you take such a cavalier view of other rules and regulations?

Not justifying myself just giving my 2 cents on the situation. I would take the same view if the rules & regulations were as ridiculous as they are now.

Would you just blindly listen to the government and follow everything they said without thinking for yourself or questioning some of the polices and proposals that they have come up with?

According to an Italian doctor the virus is losing its potency over there.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

Would you still argue that we should stick to the same plan if that happens to be the case here?

Not justifying myself just giving my 2 cents on the situation. I would take the same view if the rules & regulations were as ridiculous as they are now.

Would you just blindly listen to the government and follow everything they said without thinking for yourself or questioning some of the polices and proposals that they have come up with?

According to an Italian doctor the virus is losing its potency over there.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

Would you still argue that we should stick to the same plan if that happens to be the case here?

It's health advice. If we all decide to ignore rules then sure why bother having any form of governance in anything. Everyone just do their own thing.

Indeed, travel beyond 5k should be extended for certain areas. I don't believe it should be for the entire country and the east should still be warded off. Sligo etc should be allowed go where they want, very unfair on them at this point.

Agree with you fully, regarding the east (Dumpland), I would not be going there anyway as no sports of interest at present.

• Advertisement

It's health advice. If we all decide to ignore rules then sure why bother having any form of governance in anything. Everyone just do their own thing.

Health advice is also not to smoke, but many do.

All adults have freedom of expression and cam assess risk themselves.

Following government advice blindly is what go many into financial hardship in the boom times.

Advertisement