Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Christ...so much wrong with the posts here in last hour. Sense of entitlement and arrogance is strong here today.

Comparing it to smoking...really???? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Health advice is also not to smoke, but many do.

All adults have freedom of expression and cam assess risk themselves.

Following government advice blindly is what go many into financial hardship in the boom times.

That's just a selfish point of view really. We live in a society, not in isolation of each other. I think a few people on here are eaging that they have seen others breaching the rules over the weekend and their sense of entitlement is coming to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

Ludo wrote: »
    Christ...so much wrong with the posts here in last hour. Sense of entitlement and arrogance is strong here today.

Comparing it to smoking...really???? :rolleyes:

Yes indeed a valid comparison, indeed more smoke around now than virus.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    That's just a selfish point of view really. We live in a society, not in isolation of each other. I think a few people on here are eaging that they have seen others breaching the rules over the weekend and their sense of entitlement is coming to the fore.

Selfish no, just taking risk is proportion.
    It is possible to be responsible and enjoy life as well.
    People should concentrate on their own action not those of others is my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

It's health advice. If we all decide to ignore rules then sure why bother having any form of governance in anything. Everyone just do their own thing.

Since when does ignoring an ill thought and rushed plan equate to ignoring all rules and not wanting any form of governance?

The phased easing of the restrictions clearly has to be brought forward as things currently stand and people are deciding to do that themselves.

Many aren't waiting for the government to tell them when to do it but, if you want to stay locked up inside all day and not go further than 5km from your house until the government tells us it's safe to do so then that's your choice.

You can call it arrogant or self entitled all you want but it's really just having a bit of common sense and cop on to see that the world around us is returning to some sense of normality with or without the governments approval and I for one am happy to see it.

• Advertisement

Selfish no, just taking risk is proportion.
    It is possible to be responsible and enjoy life as well.
    People should concentrate on their own action not those of others is my view.

It is selfish as it's a me, myself and I view.

It is selfish as it's a me, myself and I view.

I disagree it is called living, personal empowerment and being an active person not a passive submissive follower.

I disagree it is called living, personal empowerment and being an active person not a passive submissive follower.

Ah yes let me guess "sheeple". It always comes back to that. So predictable. Look you can dress it up how you like and you might think you're cleverer than all the other eejits out there but it's a selfish perspective. You're being asked to make a sacrifice on behalf of the community as a whole. You think this doesn't apply to you though because you're not a submissive sheep etc. It isn't some sort of noble crusade you are taking part in.

Ah yes let me guess "sheeple". It always comes back to that. So predictable. Look you can dress it up how you like and you might think you're cleverer than all the other eejits out there but it's a selfish perspective. You're being asked to make a sacrifice on behalf of the community as a whole. You think this doesn't apply to you though because you're not a submissive sheep etc. It isn't some sort of noble crusade you are taking part in.

Clearly we are never going to agree on this topic, so good day to you, am off to eat some grass in a field many Km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

According to an Italian doctor the virus is losing its potency over there.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-virus/new-coronavirus-losing-potency-top-italian-doctor-says-idUSKBN2370OQ

Would you still argue that we should stick to the same plan if that happens to be the case here?

I hope that Zangrillo is onto something but the scientific community are out fairly across the board from orgs like the WHO/ECDC to individual scientists saying there isn't the evidence to support his claims:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-comments-reported-in-the-media-by-prof-alberto-zangrillo-about-the-covid-19-virus-in-italy/

It can happen that as a virus mutates its virulence increases to spread at the expense of severity of impact on hosts, and hopefully there's a chance it could happen again, but still so many unknowns.

There's theories starting to emerge now that it's actually a vascular disease that impacts blood vessels, explaining the wide variety of odd symptoms and impacts on people, that its simply a respiratory transmission, rather than it being a respiratory disease. I don't believe there's ever been a virus that has that profile... Still potentially a long way to go to figure it all out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Some people here will be arguing we don't need insurance anymore due to the decline in accidents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Health advice is also not to smoke, but many do.

All adults have freedom of expression and cam assess risk themselves.

Following government advice blindly is what go many into financial hardship in the boom times.

Comparing to smoking??

Do you - 2.5 months into the pandemic - not actually understand what’s being asked of you? You do get that the restrictions are to protect someone else, not the healthy?

Thinking that you should be allowed to take your own chances with your own health is the definition of selfish. People going skiing etc and returning without ever feeling unwell is precisely what spread this virus in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lyle wrote: »
    I hope that Zangrillo is onto something but the scientific community are out fairly across the board from orgs like the WHO/ECDC to individual scientists saying there isn't the evidence to support his claims:

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-comments-reported-in-the-media-by-prof-alberto-zangrillo-about-the-covid-19-virus-in-italy/

It can happen that as a virus mutates its virulence increases to spread at the expense of severity of impact on hosts, and hopefully there's a chance it could happen again, but still so many unknowns.

There's theories starting to emerge now that it's actually a vascular disease that impacts blood vessels, explaining the wide variety of odd symptoms and impacts on people, that its simply a respiratory transmission, rather than it being a respiratory disease. I don't believe there's ever been a virus that has that profile... Still potentially a long way to go to figure it all out!

Yeah, I'd like to see evidence from the viral genome to say that any perceived change is intrinsic to the virus as opposed to, say, less viral load or impacts of social distancing measures.

Every day is a school day with coronavirus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's amazing how many people think they are 'rebels' and 'self thinkers' etc the last while. It seems to come to the fore a lot whenever there's any government advice. The 'sheeple' one mentioned earlier is another one. I always get the impression they watched the likes of Braveheart a few too many times, self high fiving themselves when they don't follow whatever the big, bad establishment tell them. People like to make fun of vegans because they supposedly tell everyone they are vegan, these free thinkers and rebels are the new type of those now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

They probably park in handicapped spaces also as you know it is just a guideline and the man won't tell me where to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,186 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1517 Cork cases, 2nd highest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

And Mick Barry is organising a Black Lives Matter Protest this Friday :mad:

MrDerp wrote: »
    Comparing to smoking??

Do you - 2.5 months into the pandemic - not actually understand what’s being asked of you? You do get that the restrictions are to protect someone else, not the healthy?

Thinking that you should be allowed to take your own chances with your own health is the definition of selfish. People going skiing etc and returning without ever feeling unwell is precisely what spread this virus in the first place.

You are making a lot of very incorrect assumption about my opinion ans actions.
    Where did I suggest foreign travel?
    All my comments are in the context of a 5Km limit or not.

Am perfectly able to loom after my own health, if that makes you think I am selfish so be it.

Dr Barry on Primetime tonight expressed the exact same thoughts as I have.

mikeym wrote: »
    And Mick Barry is organising a Black Lives Matter Protest this Friday :mad:

Dublin Mick planning for the next election, keeping his face in the front page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dublin Mick planning for the next election, keeping his face in the front page.

Gotta keep the crustys happy.

• Advertisement

mikeym wrote: »
    Gotta keep the crustys happy.

Crustys so easily pleased for sure.

Life never dull on the protest and outrage department.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Crustys so easily pleased for sure.

Life never dull on the protest and outrage department.

I thought you'd be supporting the protesters right to make their own decisions about their health and head out for a rally?

I mean you've spent 90% of this thread outraged about national health advice :rolleyes:

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    I thought you'd be supporting the protesters right to make their own decisions about their health and head out for a rally?

I mean you've spent 90% of this thread outraged about national health advice :rolleyes:

Incorrect assumption there mate!
    Sorry to disappoint you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Some good news, looks like there was 0 cases recorded in Cork from the 31/05 to 1/06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There's real buzz about town with loads of shops preparing for reopening.

i was walking along the road yesterday, we all know footpaths are not wide enough. Anyway i keep my head down going past this guy in his 50s i reckon, next thing i hear ' excuse me, can you keep back', i replied 'where do you expect me to go' to which he said he was moving onto the road. His own mobility was affected by the massive dog he was walking.
    Well my point is, i was walking past, he stopped me thinking he had a right to have a go, in what he did he would have projected his droplets onto me and as such if he had Covid 19 he would have infected me by mis-understanding social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    1517 Cork cases, 2nd highest

I find some of the county-by-county stats utterly pointless though unless they're per capita:

Dublin: 1,347,359
    Cork: 542,868

Galway 258,058
    Kildare: 222,504

Every other county in the republic has <200,000

11 of them are less than 100,000 and there are only 32,000 people in Leitrim for example.

So saying the absolute number of cases in Dublin or Cork is high is, mostly just a reference to the population and the fact that both contain significant urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Some good news, looks like there was 0 cases recorded in Cork from the 31/05 to 1/06
    There was only 10 cases in the whole country to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,786 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Listening to the RTÉ report about the student parties on magazine road. Absolutely shocking. What the hell do the students think they are at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

4 additional cases in Cork yesterday.

Updated CUH figures as of 4pm this afternoon:

Total number of positive cases of COVID-19 identified in CUH in the past 24 hours - 0
    Total number of inpatient cases of COVID-19 currently in CUH – 4
    Total number of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID -19 who have recovered and been discharged from CUH in the last 24 hours. – 0
    Total number of COVID-19 patients receiving ventilator support in CUH – 3

Advertisement