Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Listening to the RTÉ report about the student parties on magazine road. Absolutely shocking. What the hell do the students think they are at

Partying?
    They're having their fun, and that's all that matters.

The landlords who are happy to profit from the rents whilst letting this carry on are just as bad. This is the Mé Féiner society we have got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

Partying?
    They're having their fun, and that's all that matters.

The landlords who are happy to profit from the rents whilst letting this carry on are just as bad. This is the Mé Féiner society we have got.

It's the landlords who are most at fault IMO.... Imagine being 18 and with absolutely nothing to do, but getting 350 a week? I really can't say I wouldnt have been doing the same thing myself really, nor can most of us i'd think.

RINO87 wrote: »
    It's the landlords who are most at fault IMO.... Imagine being 18 and with absolutely nothing to do, but getting 350 a week? I really can't say I wouldnt have been doing the same thing myself really, nor can most of us i'd think.

It takes two to tango.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

RINO87 wrote: »

Why are folks blaming the landlord, the landlord is not giving these people the 350 euro drinking money. The people are over 18, therefore adults, therefore self responsibility is theirs.

All landlord can do is boot tenant out for inappropriate behavior, however this risks hassle from such quangos as threshold and the PRTB.

Of course mammy and daddy belive Sile and Sean are busy doing home schooling :)

How long before the permanently outraged are about crying for the poor students without a bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I am at a loss as to why this is the landlords' problem. To an extent, I would suggest the landlords have a responsibility to deal with unruly tenants. But this involves verbal warning, formal written warning one and two (maybe three) and then evictions. But evictions are banned under the emergency legislation. So I'm not entirely sure why two posters are blaming the landlords for this? The students are young adults and should be more responsible; they should be blamed - not landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭RINO87

the landlords are allowing "student" houses to be rented on the cheap while clearly there is no college in session...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭kub

There are no Costa Del whatevers or Ibiza's or wherever the summer party season abroad is this year, so they have to make do with a rented house.
    Nothing matters to them except for themselves and their needs, the world reloves around them and they do not care about the misery they place upon neighbours.

I hope The Gardai now are at least patrolling that area on foot late at night.

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Why are folks blaming the landlord, the landlord is not giving these people the 350 euro drinking money. The people are over 18, therefore adults, therefore self responsibility is theirs.

All landlord can do is boot tenant out for inappropriate behavior, however this risks hassle from such quangos as threshold and the PRTB.

Of course mammy and daddy belive Sile and Sean are busy doing home schooling :)

How long before the permanently outraged are about crying for the poor students without a bed?

They have beds, back home where they should be.
    Even without CV19 it's a sh1tty selfish thing to impose on people. I hope the landlords end up with trashed houses for their trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

http://twitter.com/Corks96FM/status/1268898792314736641?s=20

On the day they announce the movement into phase 2 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

This poor public servant seems to have forgotten what his job is....

515377.jpg

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    http://twitter.com/Corks96FM/status/1268898792314736641?s=20

On the day they announce the movement into phase 2 :mad:

Drove past this earlier, to be honest it was not much of a crowd, not enough to get mick the dub excited about re-election anyway!

Saw a greater number of people out and about walking, shopping and getting exercise in Patrick Street to be honest.

chrisd2019 wrote: »
    Drove past this earlier, to be honest it was not much of a crowd, not enough to get mick the dub excited about re-election anyway!

Saw a greater number of people out and about walking, shopping and getting exercise in Patrick Street to be honest.

They reported " hundreds of people ", is that bull so ?

This poor public servant seems to have forgotten what his job is....

515377.jpg
    I reckon that there were elements in that crowd that were just itching for the Gardai to even open their mouths. It would have suited this crowds agenda to have an incident or worse with Gardai as no doubt they could have pulled the victim card then.

kub wrote: »
    They reported " hundreds of people ", is that bull so ?

Definite, count those in the photo earlier in this thread and at most double the number. Have seen bigger crowd in the Q outside B&Q in Mahon Point this week.

I reckon that there were elements in that crowd that were just itching for the Gardai to even open their mouths. It would have suited this crowds agenda to have an incident or worse with Gardai as no doubt they could have pulled the victim card then.

Without a doubt, the professional Irish street protest type would love nothing better than a horrible Garda oppression headline story. Perhaps the less attention this gets at this time the better. They're being torn apart on other social media anyhow.

This is probably my favourite.

This is probably my favourite.

That there is a classic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

No doubt
    The cause is obviously important and while it's definitely not the right time, there was probably a good few genuine people there.

............But you also know there's some 20-something white girls just itching to get an accidental shove in the back by a Garda..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭cantalach

I love how you’re all getting outraged at the hypothetical outrage of others...

cantalach wrote: »
    I love how you’re all getting outraged at the hypothetical outrage of others...

I note your use of the word " all ", I take it that therefore you are referring to my posts also.

Let me assure you, I am not or was not outraged at any time by this group, I was simply stating my opinion.

People who for whatever reason, who cannot abide by simple requests that are there to keep a society safer rarely if ever cause me to be outraged. I just feel that they are the ones with issues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've noticed a lot of people in queues are not standing on the boxes/markers, but just leaving an arbitrary distance from others, or even none.

You have to stand on the box until the one ahead of you is free!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Student houses in the city centre all waking up to parking charges they hadn't considered before signing their Summer Leases this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

User142 wrote: »
    Student houses in the city centre all waking up to parking charges they hadn't considered before signing their Summer Leases this morning.

Tell us more, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Parking charges from who? Most landlords discuss parking arrangements with you if they have a space outside the house or you’re left with disc parking.

Are these the party animals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've noticed a lot of people in queues are not standing on the boxes/markers, but just leaving an arbitrary distance from others, or even none.

You have to stand on the box until the one ahead of you is free!

I sometimes catch myself not standing on a line or in a box - I would suggest it's just a new habit to get used to.

Oh, I though these modern students were all tree hugging, home brew drinking environmentalists that walk or cycles and rage against the machine (cars)!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Parking charges from who? Most landlords discuss parking arrangements with you if they have a space outside the house or you’re left with disc parking.
    Tell us more, please.

They were availing of the free street parking.
    The few cases I know much details about weren't actually from that far away and were just driving back and forward to their family homes. There's nothing official actually linking them to the house they are spending the Summer in.

Street parking fees has thrown a spanner in how they have been operating in the last few weeks.
    Are these the party animals?

The few I know who are in there are there for the craic. Wouldn't label them as party animals. Just young adults with an envious amount of disposable income from the PUP and free time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

They were availing of the free street parking.
    The few cases I know much details about weren't actually from that far away and were just driving back and forward to their family homes. There's nothing official actually linking them to the house they are spending the Summer in.

Street parking fees has thrown a spanner in how they have been operating in the last few weeks.

The few I know who are in there are there for the craic. Wouldn't label them as party animals. Just young adults with an envious amount of disposable income from the PUP and free time.

That will be seriously curtailed for many of them in a few weeks time so should bring a halt to their gallop.

• Advertisement

That will be seriously curtailed for many of them in a few weeks time so should bring a halt to their gallop.

Shame people living near that racket have had to put up with it for weeks and nothing can be done other than finger wagging from guards and a joint UCC CIT letter that students will simply laugh off. No consequences, nada.

The law can do f all and they know it.

Advertisement