Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

No further cases in Cork again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

I think everyone should STFU about this covid garbage for at least a month. Especially media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Pathetic from the echo today front page quoating some doomsday professor from ucc guaranteeing a 2nd wave with no facts utter speculation. Pathetic click bait rubbish fear mongering at his highest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

mean gene wrote: »
    Pathetic from the echo today front page quoating some doomsday professor from ucc guaranteeing a 2nd wave with no facts utter speculation. Pathetic click bait rubbish fear mongering at his highest

I read that but at the same time I think it’s important to get out now while we can cause unfortunately nobody knows what’s going to happen with this virus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Doctors at Cork University Hospital have identified a case of Covid-19 in February that appears to predate the first known Irish case.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-man-had-covid-19-in-cork-in-late-february-before-first-confirmed-irish-case-1.4278840

Think we knew about that case already, that was the first CUH case identified in early March that led to 100 staff self isolating for 2 weeks. He'd been in hospital a while before being diagnosed so would have been positive since late February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

mean gene wrote: »

just on with neil on the radio on abt the 2nd wave kicking in when everything open up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Diabhalta wrote: »
    I think everyone should STFU about this covid garbage for at least a month. Especially media.

Garbage? Are you one of 'those' then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

There should be a ban on talk about 2nd waves too.
    WE had Italian fans, cheltenham, black lives matters, penneys opening etc etc and none of these did/probably won't lead to any increase in numbers.
    People will get on flights in July and have a sun holiday and guess what, won't get the virus.

There's some amount of doomsday "experts" out there that seem to be loving this crap.

On the flip side, the 'experts' who predict nothing will happen either are as much annoying tbh. Just best to stay vigilant and safe. Despite what internet 'knowledge' people think they have, there's still a lot of unknowns with how a re-emergence may or may not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,106 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Corholio wrote: »
    On the flip side, the 'experts' who predict nothing will happen either are as much annoying tbh. Just best to stay vigilant and safe. Despite what internet 'knowledge' people think they have, there's still a lot of unknowns with how a re-emergence may or may not happen.

Yes, remember all the, "it's just the flu" people back at the beginning of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Latest CUH Update as of 4pm

Total number of positive cases of COVID-19 identified in CUH in the past 24 hours - 1
    Total number of inpatient cases of COVID-19 currently in CUH – 5
    Total number of patients with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID -19 who have recovered and been discharged from CUH in the last 24 hours. – 0
    Total number of COVID-19 patients receiving ventilator support in CUH – 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

TheDriver wrote: »
    There should be a ban on talk about 2nd waves too.
    WE had Italian fans, cheltenham, black lives matters, penneys opening etc etc and none of these did/probably won't lead to any increase in numbers.
    People will get on flights in July and have a sun holiday and guess what, won't get the virus.

There's some amount of doomsday "experts" out there that seem to be loving this crap.

It’s too early but in Minnesota I in 70 BLM protesters have tested positive for Coronavirus. Nobody wants to go back into lockdown but there’s no point in saying it won’t happen either.

I know of at least a few cases that were caused directly by someone coming back from cheltenham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The likes of Germany, Spain and Italy are getting back to normal.

As long as people stop acting the maggot we can get back to normal by July/August hopefully.

The curve has been flatened and we dont need scaremongers like the Professor that was on Red Fm this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Prendeville seems to have some dooms dayer on every day since this thing has flattened. It's real tabloid radio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,464 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

rob316 wrote: »
    Prendeville seems to have some dooms dayer on every day since this thing has flattened. It's real tabloid radio

Why do you even listen then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Germany has a lockdown for part of Berlin: https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/16/hundreds-of-berlin-households-placed-in-quarantine-amid-covid-19-spike
    Beijing seeing something simiar: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53074076

Coronavirus isn't going to go away by not talking about it or wishing it away.

Garbage? Are you one of 'those' then?

one of those who?

It's reaching aboslutely absurd proportions at this stage. All kinds of articles on daily basis shoved into people's faces. New Zealand went from 0 cases to 1. How is this even news? So what now? There will be 0 cases again, let's write an article about it: "New Zealand has 0 cases of covid" ... this surely need to stop!

Under every article on facebook everyone is a covid police. Wear face masks, stay home bla bla bla... totally brainwashed by the media. All kinds of sponsored posts about covid signage etc. Absolutely ridiculous.

In 2016-2017 there was a flu outbreak in Ireland, one of the worst seasons, almost 12 thousand people had it (plus many undocumented). There was maybe one article about it in the media... Did people call for wearing face masks? No, because the media didn't say anything about it.

Media manipulate people, especially the stupid ones. People are not able to think for themselves and just absorb anything they read without thinking about it and doing some more research to form their opinion.

There is a larger company here in cork (where my friend works and he told me all about it how things work there after lockdown) and they made empolyees wear face masks, usual Social distancing signage everywhere. People don't hear each other through that face masks so they stand even closer to each other than before (the lockdown). 2 meters? Definitely not, more like half a metre. Leaning towards each other, standing close... People touching their face all the time because it itches, people uncovering their nose because they can't breathe (you know, your body needs oxygen, not carbon dioxide ... so your immune system works properly...).

This whole thing is absurd and I sure would be glad if I would have a chance to leave this planet for a while.

How long till this is gone from the media? Christmas? End of October? Or will they keep feeding us till St. Patrick's day?

Can't post it somehow so a direct link:

What It's Like to Believe Everything the Media Tells You
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcUAG6t5aN8&t=78s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

The amount of tin-foil hat stuff in that is hilarious.

"A mask that covers a persons mouth seems somewhat reflective of our time of censorship and restrictions of free speech" :pac:

And no, I don't listen to the media, I listen to my family members in the medical field. A doctor, a nurse, two midwifes and a virologist.

The amount of tin-foil hat stuff in that is hilarious.

"A mask that covers a persons mouth seems somewhat reflective of our time of censorship and restrictions of free speech" :pac:

oh yeah? I received a message from FB about something I shared and they said there is "partially true information" in it. ...

Will your phone company break into your phone conversation and tell you that what you're talking about is not really true? Don't think so.

edit:

did you talk to your doctor, nurse etc. about the flu in 2016-2017? And what to do? Should you wear your face mask, should you hide in your home?

• Advertisement

oh yeah? I received a message from FB about something I shared and they said there is "partially true information" in it. ...

Will your phone company break into your phone conversation and tell you that what you're talking about is not really true? Don't think so.
    You know what, you're on to something......

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

You know what, you're on to something......

Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

zS5rRxa.gif

zS5rRxa.gif
    Not trying to bash you.
    I do agree with you that masks aren't the be all and end all of prevention while it seems to be portrayed of as a miracle prevention.

Will do f-all if you get the virus on your hands and then touch your eyes and face.

But they shouldn't be called useless as if you have a proper mask it will help prevent inhaling the air borne viruses.

Wearing them around a small work place with others you know aren't infected is a bit pointless.
    Walking around a packed supermarket? I'd definitely wear one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭cantalach

TheDriver wrote: »

Can you offer any evidence at all to substantiate that? Do you have any public health or virology credentials that should cause us to pay attention to your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I said a month ago we were over the worst of it and I was right. Great to see kids back out playing in the park and peoples lives getting back to normal. Has been a tough struggle but we are coming out at the other end. There are professors in the media still trying to cast a cloud over the nation because let's face it they have gained alot of publicity and it must be difficult to go back to their normal lives again. There has been too much negativity on this thread and posters seem to enjoy this misery. Will there be a second wave? Yes probably. We are set up now to handle it. My advice is to enjoy ourselves, within sensible limits before we go into lockdown again!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

edit:

did you talk to your doctor, nurse etc. about the flu in 2016-2017? And what to do? Should you wear your face mask, should you hide in your home?
    How many people did that flu kill in 3 months? And how severely did it affect hundreds to thousands of people with it? I don't understand the obsession with acting like this disease is basically a cough and fever. Sure, for some it can, for others it is much worse, for others its fatal. It's also extremely contagious and you can asymptomatic for up to 14 days. It doesn't mean it's the end of the world and we should all be miserable and negative about it all day, but comments like "it's the flu, these people would die anyway, we need to learn to live with it" are beyond stupid. Reading comments on Facebook tonight of people not happy about the likely 90 minute limit in bars. "It's like being in a prison". I'd love to see what these people think of actual prison

I do think a lot of people revel in being this type of 'don't believe what they tell you!' schtick to come off as these big brain non conformists. Why should you believe that the water is safe to drink? Then why should believe that bottled water is safe to drink? Why should you believe that the special filter for the water is safe? It could be coated in fluoride to keep us all sedated!

It's now the age of 'I hate that lots of people are talking about this thing, don't believe this thing, I'm sick of it' As if the wearing of masks is just a conspiracy to keep us 'down'. I'd say the likes of Finland and Curacao are definitely in on that alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭cantalach

It's now the age of 'I hate that lots of people are talking about this thing, don't believe this thing, I'm sick of it' As if the wearing of masks is just a conspiracy to keep us 'down'. I'd say the likes of Finland and Curacao are definitely in on that alright.

This is the post-truth era, when experts are treated with suspicion and those who heed them with derision. Swathes of our society have decided that the ill-informed opinion of a layperson is as valid as that of a subject matter expert. The right to hold an opinion has evolved somehow into a right to have one’s opinion taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

LEADING Cork publican Benny McCabe has said he will not be opening any of his pubs until July 20, after labelling the guidelines for early opening as “codswallop”.

[...]

“We have been closed for 14 weeks, two more won’t kill us."

[...]

"Our pubs have been around for hundreds of years, we are not going to butcher them with perspex scenes and crime scene signage.”

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Top-Cork-publican-will-not-reopen-pubs-under-codswallop-new-guidelines-c9b937c8-011e-4c2e-993e-e3bce80cef31-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,243 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pen Rua wrote: »

He's spot on to be honest. Time limits, asking for contact details is all a load of bollox. I won't be going for a sup until I can go for a pint without been interrogated and segregated.

Advertisement